+ Add a Comment

Iambiohazard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambiohazard

I give up, I should have gone out with my friends tonight but I wanted a Bunnies Ogling Carrots and now I am forever alone guy. Thanks for making me a meme woot.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
ThunderThighs wrote:Just staying out of the way. I can't do anything about PM posts. You're on your own there.

You can tell me under the "Cone of Silence" !!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

xavoc wrote:Keep your head down TT!

I haz armor!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wpolyak wrote:I caught up on deleting PM's. I meant you were busy clean up posts of people asking for said PM's

Yeah, a few of them. Then got tired.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

lugnut33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lugnut33

I noticed that Haier (maker of the A/C unit) sponsors an exhibit at the Louvre (mentioned in the letter) but I can't figure out a code or useful connection.

If it helps anyone, please PM me with the rest of the story so I can find it too.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

If you have grid-connected solar panels, there would be no advantage to a DC air conditioner vs. an AC model. Peak air conditioning use times tend to also be peak solar power production times. It all just goes through your own electrical panel and you'll be back-feeding less excess production back into the grid. If for some reason your peak electrical usage with air conditioner running exceeds your actual solar power generation capacity (even intermittently), you'd be screwed with a DC unit.

omh1009

quality posts: 7 Private Messages omh1009
rooty66 wrote:Would this unit be a better alternative to a window air conditioner?

IS better only in the case that the window is not in your house.

This thing brings the entire operation inside, along with noise and heat.

Pinged from Newark NJ, to Fort Worth Texas.

scifiak

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scifiak
omh1009 wrote:IS better only in the case that the window is not in your house.

This thing brings the entire operation inside, along with noise and heat.

Not much more noise than a regular A/C unit, and the heat is released through the venting hose that attaches to the window.

ashadipenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashadipenguin

Target has them priced for $534 new, so at this price it's a steal! This would be perfect for a mobile RV or trailer.

http://www.target.com/p/Haier-14-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner/-/A-12376409?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=%7C12376409&CPNG=appliances&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12376409

hopseng1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hopseng1

We have own a portable unit for 4 years now with no problems. Living in central Florida it get very humid. Most of the inside air of your home is 25% less humid then the outside air and the unit takes about 95% of the humid air and uses it to cool the air, the other 5% is trapped in a resevior in the unit itself or discharges out the window. Our unit is used only at nite in our bedroom which is appox. 400 sq.ft. We start the unit 1 hr. earlier then our sleep time and it cools to 67 degrees, great sleeping temp. We would also tell you that its nosiey and plan it to cool an area under 350 Sq.Ft, 400 sq.ft. is pushing it. Also we turn our main air off at night and have saved over the last 4 years thousand of dollers in cooling bills. Last, do not buy a unit with heat its a waste, and make sure the insde cooling unit is made by Edge Star, which this Haier unit is. Great buy also

alamogal1963

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alamogal1963

We don't have this very unit, but we do have a "like" portable AC unit. We live in S. Texas and tried to use it in workshop that gets like an oven.

You know how the outside of a window unit gets warm and drips water while keeping the inside cool? You have to have the same type of situation with these babies. There is a large hose that comes off the back that needs to ventilate to the outside. Loads of hot air comes out of it. Mine came with window sill adapters that allowed the hose to rest between the sill and partially closed window where the heat from the back of the unit vented to the outside. It generated pretty cool air...cool-brrrr, not cool-wow!...but we couldn't keep the hot air from pouring right back into the room since the adapters didn't fit the window well enough. McGyvering (yes it's a word...duh) is helpful in these situations. The unit must be placed within hose-distance to the window.

It was quiet enough to watch TV and did a pretty good job of cooling the place down. It's in a closet right now and haven't used it in a couple of years. We didn't need it after the purchase of radiant barrier and shop fan.

Blondes aren't dumm.

knosti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knosti

I have one of these but it's a DeLonghi and only 12,000 btu. It cools two large rooms to a comfortable temperature and removes the humidity well. I live in PA where humidity is a constant starting about June. Don't expect it to do more than it advertises. It will make the rooms comfortable but not cool or arctic like a window or central AC. At the hottest most humid times, it cools the two rooms to 74 or 76 but w/out the humidity that is pretty comfortable. We have an old house with narrow windows so can't do window ACs. The portable has suited us nicely. Also, you will not find these with Energy Star certification but I have found them economical to run.

onahas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onahas

This is NOT 14000 BTU. Actually less than 5000.
Isn't BTU = volts x amps x 3.4? I don't get it.

electric80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages electric80

These types of A/C are a huge waste of money, in a lot of cases they induce more heat from the exhaust hose than actual cooling.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mdrcoast

One of these units and a generator can make a big difference in life right after a Hurricane.

No power for 2 weeks in the summer on the Gulf Coast? One of these will cool down a bedroom enough to sleep comfortably on those hot nights.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
electric80 wrote:These types of A/C are a huge waste of money, in a lot of cases they induce more heat from the exhaust hose than actual cooling.

You do understand that you are supposed to use the vent kit in a window to blow the hot air outside, just as a window mounted A/C unit does?

Please tell me you haven't just bought one of these used at a pawn shop with no vent kit, plopped it in your living room and turned it on.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

"This portable air conditioner is ideal for cooling smaller, contained areas" As opposed to placing it on the lawn to reverse global warming?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

nairb101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nairb101

I've got an older model Haier, the only drawback to it is that it uses inside air to vent the condenser coil, lowering it's effiency. I think most newer designs use dual vent tubes to use outside air to cool the coil. The noise isn't bad on low, as in when you're sleeping. You can find the refurb 12,000 BTU unit at an eggy place for $80 less.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada
onahas wrote:This is NOT 14000 BTU. Actually less than 5000.
Isn't BTU = volts x amps x 3.4? I don't get it.

I think you misunderstood the data chart.

The unit is capable of providing 14000 BTUs of cooling and draws 1300 watts of power from your 115 volt power source while doing so.

Long boring explanation follows...I can't help it, I'm an engineer and this is what engineers do for fun.

The electrical power required for unit operation (by the compressor motor, the fans, the controls, the condensate evaporator, and whatever else is connected by wires) while it operates is measured at 1300 watts. 1 watt = 1 volt x 1 amp for single phase AC and all DC power.

According to the manual ( http://www.manualowl.com/m/Haier/CPN14XC9/Manual/178400 ), this unit draws 1300 watts at 115 volts so the current draw is really 1300/115 = 11.3 amps. According the the National Electric Code you can only put 80% of the current rating as a continuous load on a circuit breaker safely, so this unit should be safe to use on a dedicated 15 amp circuit.

A BTU is a British Thermal Unit, the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of 1 pound of water by 1 degree farenheit. Cooling capacity is measured in BTUs per hour (abbreviated BTUH properly but BTU is commonly used also). Air conditioning equipment is measured in "tons" of cooling and one ton of cooling is 12000 BTUH, so this unit is a 1.16 ton air conditioner.

I know, I know...TL:DR...

Any other questions?

rwheeler

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rwheeler

Well, this sure helped me get back on track right with my circadian rhythm.

This air conditioning unit will be useful with global warming. You should buy three. You'll thank me in 40 years.

HikingStick

quality posts: 6 Private Messages HikingStick
paulpnevada wrote:I think you misunderstood the data chart.

The unit is capable of providing 14000 BTUs of cooling and draws 1300 watts of power from your 115 volt power source while doing so.

Long boring explanation follows...I can't help it, I'm an engineer and this is what engineers do for fun.

The electrical power required for unit operation (by the compressor motor, the fans, the controls, the condensate evaporator, and whatever else is connected by wires) while it operates is measured at 1300 watts. 1 watt = 1 volt x 1 amp for single phase AC and all DC power.

According to the manual ( http://www.manualowl.com/m/Haier/CPN14XC9/Manual/178400 ), this unit draws 1300 watts at 115 volts so the current draw is really 1300/115 = 11.3 amps. According the the National Electric Code you can only put 80% of the current rating as a continuous load on a circuit breaker safely, so this unit should be safe to use on a dedicated 15 amp circuit.

A BTU is a British Thermal Unit, the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of 1 pound of water by 1 degree farenheit. Cooling capacity is measured in BTUs per hour (abbreviated BTUH properly but BTU is commonly used also). Air conditioning equipment is measured in "tons" of cooling and one ton of cooling is 12000 BTUH, so this unit is a 1.16 ton air conditioner.

I know, I know...TL:DR...

Any other questions?

Geeky engineering post--definitely QUALITY POST material (imho).

HikingStick
Blessings Of Commerce> Seven!
Woots> 36 and counting!
Sellout Woots> Eight.
Shirt Woots> Two (BoCarrots, The Raven).
Kids Woots> Eight.

worldwidewebfeet

Stumpy91 wrote:What make's you think they even have their arses out of bed?

ThunderThighs and inkycatz have been assigned to baby sit us wackos wooters. (They obviously are paying for past life errors} :-)

worldwidewebfeet

paulpnevada wrote:I'm in Riyadh but I'm from Las Vegas.

I'll bet you could use 3 Haier Portable Air Conditioners!!!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
tjotech wrote:you forget, woot violated that tradition when they started shipping generic chinese dollar store junk in the Bunnies Ogling Carrots#39;s and not random items off the shelf.

The always sent that stuf. they sent manuals to great big tvs. I have about 50 Sansa USB cables. In a variety of carp from the early days to more recently I've got all sorts of kids toys, all the text in some foreign language. NOT AUSTRALIAN or British.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mdrcoast
paulpnevada wrote:If I was there to install it I'd definitely get one for the garage. Looking at the hose kit for the condenser air, I bet those hoses would fit perfectly in one of the garage side wall air vents.

I have one in my garage and I just made a new dryer vent. You have to clamp the hose down with some of that dryer exhaust hose but it works very well.

ranex

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ranex

One good use for this AC unit might be for a dorm room, where you don't have windows that will accept a window unit/ they wont let you instal one- one of these units could run easily in one of those rooms

andrewkl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages andrewkl

Dear woot,

Here's my take on this:

You got us. You got us all.. We stayed up.. We woke up early.. We're stumped, plain and simple.. The whole bunch of us, including the trolls who claim they "got one".

So, nobody want's a crappy Haier refurbished air conditioner... Face it, we're all here for one thing, and one thing only... We want the OTHER crap.

I'm giving it a half hour more, and then I'm gone.. Not worth wasting my Sunday waiting for what will ultimately be REAL crap anyway.

Just really damn lucky: Random Crap: 2/15/08, 2/19/09, 12/25/09, 4/1/10, 12/1/10, 12/25/10, 4/1/11, 5/11/11, 9/14/11, 10/12/11, 12/25/11

chuckf1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chuckf1

Woot, you've done us wrong. After over 8 hours of people scrambling to find clues to the non-existent April Fools Bank of Crapola, you could have had one of the mods make a posting on the Community forum telling us that we've been wasting our time.

Woot, you could have ended this "joke" on your customers, but you chose not to.

Shame.

worldwidewebfeet

PengLord

quality posts: 8 Private Messages PengLord

Maybe if we all send pizza (with soda) to Woot HQ, they'll end the strike.

Jertyrael

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Jertyrael
PengLord wrote:Maybe if we all send pizza (with soda) to Woot HQ, they'll end the strike.

What he said. Or cupcakes.

"Woot and all our various sites will continue to be an independently operated company full of horrible, useless products and an untalented jerkface writing staff, same as it ever was." -- Matt Rutledge

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

This Haier is a cool deal woot, but I'll stick with my central air.

kschoenberg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kschoenberg

We purchased the 12,000 BTU model new from Costco.com for about the same price last year. It works relatively well. The single exhaust/intake isn't a problem.
However, Haier is a big problem. One of the pieces for the vent panel was missing and it took them over two months and 12 follow-ups by me and another 10 by a Costco resolution person to send the right part. We're talking a $1 piece of plastic and they had the correct part number and still couldn't get it right.
So, the product is good...the service after, if needed, is horrendous.

MacGarage

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MacGarage

Back the the AC unit....

After reading the reviews at CostCo, Walmart, Amazon, HSN, etc., the reviews seem to be pretty mixed.

I am looking for one for my home office. I live in an old brick farmhouse without central air and the upstairs gets pretty warm in the summer. I have one 15,000BTU window unit upstairs but with the narrow hallways, it is hard to cool the rest of the rooms.

Some reviews state the window part does not fit a standard 30 inch wide window without cutting it down while others do. Any experiences with that?

With the reported horrible customer service from Haier, is the $45 square trade warranty worth it? I have not used them before.

Thanks!

sarahkavitski

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sarahkavitski
MacGarage wrote:Back the the AC unit....

After reading the reviews at CostCo, Walmart, Amazon, HSN, etc., the reviews seem to be pretty mixed.

I am looking for one for my home office. I live in an old brick farmhouse without central air and the upstairs gets pretty warm in the summer. I have one 15,000BTU window unit upstairs but with the narrow hallways, it is hard to cool the rest of the rooms.

Some reviews state the window part does not fit a standard 30 inch wide window without cutting it down while others do. Any experiences with that?

With the reported horrible customer service from Haier, is the $45 square trade warranty worth it? I have not used them before.

Thanks!

I can't answer your first question, but I can say that I have squaretrade for my phone and my ipad and it is worth it. It was cheaper than insurance through apple/verizon and they have great customer service there with pretty quick turnaround

nuketank

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nuketank
shmoetheho wrote:Does yours have both exhaust and intake hoses? Is this really an advantage?

The single hose model will draw air from inside and shoot it out the exhaust pipe. Overall loss of efficiency, due to negative pressure in the room drawing possibly hot air in from outside.
This dual hose version will draw air in from outside to cool the condenser coils, leaving even pressure and better efficiency. Can't speak for heat leaking from the hoses into the room.

Notable Woots:
1 Samsung Modus Bluetooth Headset Kit, 2 MuzxDNA Earphones (one lost, one destroyed) superceded by 2 MEElectronics M16 Earphones, 2 Phantom S107's, 1 Art101 124-piece art set, iGo rechargable battery set, way more Fuji batteries than I immediately know what to do with, 1 Dell Streak 7" Tablet
1 Big Old Chevy dated 3/22/2011, #4 of the night (!).
1 Bundle of Caravans dated 4/25/2011

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

worldwidewebfeet wrote:ThunderThighs and inkycatz have been assigned to baby sit us wackos wooters. (They obviously are paying for past life errors} :-)

I'm here too dang it!! :D

Jessara

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Jessara
ROGETRAY wrote:I'm here too dang it!! :D

Does that mean you let ThunderThighs go home? Or is it all hands on deck until the anticipated server crash is over?

LinuxTrance

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LinuxTrance
ROGETRAY wrote:I'm here too dang it!! :D

Babysitters club? Ya had to show the trailer for the babysitters club, didn't ya? You realize that I grew up in a family of girls, this was a staple of my childhood, and now...you have the nerve...to post something so traumatic and just plain mean spirited. I put that part of my life behind me Roge...

at least

at least

at least I tried to. Now I have to see what Kristy and her friends are up to again. May even have to buy the books. It's an unbreakable cycle.

katjim00

quality posts: 7 Private Messages katjim00
Jessara wrote:They're editing out the blatant trolls. We're the good guys, our posts don't get edi

Not true.... I posted twice about posts being deleted and that they were cleaning house and mine were cleaned up too