4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
NeatDesk Desktop Scanner
$249.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

threat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages threat

These are't bad at all, they scan well and are more convient than firing up a huge printer with 100's of buttons when you just something scanned.

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 1 :'(

Psystal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Psystal

Only an uber-organization freak would consider buying one of these. But, if you're like me and already an uber-organization freak, you're already so uber-organized that you don't really need one of these. Unless of course you enjoy uber-reorganizing things in different formats and locations. Then you need one. And you're uber-weird.

pohlmacs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pohlmacs

Q: Will this work with a Mac?

A: Yes, provided you make the correct selection during checkout.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I've criticized the NeatReceipts scanning systems in the past woots mainly due to the software it uses. I was happy to see that they did a complete overhaul of the NeatReceipts software and recently released it in version 5 which is a free software upgrade. This version is much easier to use and eliminated many of the issues I had with the software in the past.

EDIT: I can't comment on this scanner, I own the Portable version, but they do use the same software.

njf1003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njf1003

Pretty good price, but the reviews on amazon point out some flaws: http://www.amazon.com/review/R31WJP0ECL4IO6/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001CQ8ER2&nodeID=172282&tag=&linkCode=

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

Great for the office! and I love the software it's super easy to set up and use!

CalcMonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CalcMonkey

Got the portable last week. Played with it this weekend. Software is okay, but since receipts aren't in the same format every time, it does funny things. This made doing taxes easier and will make it easier next year since everything will be better filed. I think you can get the software on their site for free but maybe I misunderstood when i saw it the other day.

lichme

quality posts: 3125 Private Messages lichme

Tried this out before and it worked way better than I thought it would, especially on receipts. Quite effecient for the lazy guy like myself.

tms10000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tms10000

Someone out there actually owns/have used this scanned? I was wondering what made it so... well... more expensive than your typical flatbed scanner a-la Canon?

xmitman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xmitman

Version 5 software is Windows only. Why Woot again misrepresents what you get I don't understand? Mac Version comes with version 3.

[ Thunderthighs: Thanks for the info. I passed it on to the sales team to see first thing in the morning. ]

namorama

quality posts: 33 Private Messages namorama

I saw the desktop version in action. Scans very fast, and you don't have to feed each page manually like the portable version (I own the portable version, and it's... just not as good. Decent, but it's slow and it really likes to let the receipts go anywhere but straight). Too bad I already own the portable version and the price for this is juuuuuust a little too expensive for me.

And I can vouch for Neat 5 software. Much better than the bloated outgoing software.

Decided my signature is obnoxious.
Have two lines instead.

sarahkavitski

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sarahkavitski

This scanner is too thin to scan my butt and put copies in my coworkers inboxes Is the top removable to fit "wider" documents?

mchappy222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mchappy222

I have the small scanner and love it.

micahbradshaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages micahbradshaw

I teach in a school with very crowded classrooms. I've always wondered if this machine could be used to quickly scan student work and categorize it by class or student name on my computer. Saving on the mess of hundreds of papers to take home, and allowing students to keep their notes and work. Could it be used for such a purpose or is it more for receipts and whatnot?

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

WAY overpriced. Just get a good reliable all-in-one printer/faxer/scanner/copier that has good reviews for far less money.
What your buying with this w00t is software. Software that you can find online for free.
Therefore don't buy it unless your a newbie of the tech world.

kurahee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kurahee

All,

If you really need the desktop or are buying it for organizational use, by all means get this one.

I bought the smaller, portable version and am very impressed with it. I have not had any problems with it reading things in properly, and I've never had anything turn on me as it was being scanned in.

The only reason I bring this up is because I bought the portable one from woot and it was much cheaper. If I had the money, I'd probably go for this desktop version, but as I said, the portable one works extremely well also.

They also recently updated their software, but I didn't have any issues with their software before the update.

ciozszmloes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciozszmloes

It seems that with so many smaller scanners on the market, this one would not be too popular. Does anyone have one of these? Is there a benefit to having this one over one of the scanners that you slide over a document?

dalamar666

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dalamar666

Will this scanner be an acceptable substitute to reproduce the scene from Office Space?

maui

quality posts: 10 Private Messages maui

I have a HP scanner. Will this one be a useful addition?

Holysin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Holysin
maui wrote:I have a HP scanner. Will this one be a useful addition?

No, they'll fight horribly and the NeatDesk will call the HP fat resulting in an eating disorder that requires you to scan everything twice on the HP. It's really quite sad how they don't get along

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

This product forum is for discussion about the product. If you want to discuss April Fool's and the Bunnies Ogling Carrots please take your conversation to the World of Woot, such as the Writer's Strike post.

Thank you.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
danwat1234 wrote:WAY overpriced. Just get a good reliable all-in-one printer/faxer/scanner/copier that has good reviews for far less money.
What your buying with this w00t is software. Software that you can find online for free.
Therefore don't buy it unless your a newbie of the tech world.

What software (and where) did you find online that works like the Neat software?

EDIT: Can this scan double sided documents, like 20 or 30 page double sided contracts, etc?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

dilone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dilone

Receipts in paper waste our overharvested trees.

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom

Interesting reviews and user comments on NeatDesk vs competing products.

Check it out:
http://lawyerist.com/neatdesk-scanner-review

A

goldenhawk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages goldenhawk

The amazon reviews for the Mac version are even worse - an average for about 2.5. I had hoped that maybe the negative reviews were for earlier versions but even the most recent postings were still more negative than not.

I'm going to bed without buying.

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garyhgaryh

I bought the desktop version about six months ago and the scanner is the best one I've used. It's fast and the scan quality is good. However, the only bad thing with the scanner is that it doesn't have a guide so whatever you scan will/may scan skewd.

I got the mobile scanner last week just for portability. Will hopefully get it this week.

If you want to be organize, get this. It can also help declutter your desk.
Gary

DementedAngel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DementedAngel

I purchased the portable version from woot some time ago and love it. The only things I have encountered are problems with it auto-filing info from some business cards (e.g. when card has stylized fonts and layout) and problems scanning receipts that are age-faded. For those receipts I have to fire up the old photo scanner, adjust the image, print it, and then feed it into neatreceipts scanner. Of course the lesson is to not let receipts sit in car for ages :-)

Edit to add - the portable version (and thus i would assume the desktop version does as well) will scan docs into pdf files for you. Feature comes in very handy when you have to email documents.

SamanthaSSJ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SamanthaSSJ
tms10000 wrote:Someone out there actually owns/have used this scanned? I was wondering what made it so... well... more expensive than your typical flatbed scanner a-la Canon?

I have both this one (bought at the last woot) and a flatbed scanner. The Neat will scan both sides (black & white or color) of a stack of documents in less than a minute. The character recognition is pretty good and lets me organize receipts very easily. Didn't think I'd use it or like it as much as I do.

lebolian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lebolian

What happens if I later need to return an item and I've discarded the receipt because I scanned it? Has anyone had this happen? Did they accept a copy of the receipt from the scanner?

I know they don't accept copies for product rebates so how could someone prove that they were the original buyer and didn't just scan a receipt from someone elses purchase?

Thanks.

DementedAngel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DementedAngel
lebolian wrote:What happens if I later need to return an item and I've discarded the receipt because I scanned it? Has anyone had this happen? Did they accept a copy of the receipt from the scanner?

I know they don't accept copies for product rebates so how could someone prove that they were the original buyer and didn't just scan a receipt from someone elses purchase?

Thanks.

Since some shops require the original receipt for returns, I would suggest hanging on to the receipt until return period has passed, even though it's been scanned.

prakashgupta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prakashgupta

Does it work with mac?

maui

quality posts: 10 Private Messages maui
prakashgupta wrote:Does it work with mac?

Yes, apparently

dragonmonkey315

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonmonkey315

We got one of these at my boss's home office. It is GREAT... AMAZING even. FAST and user friendly. If you have a mac, you'll have to call customer support to get a link to download the mac software and receive a new product key.

gobears99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gobears99

neat scanners are great especially for receipts so you don't have them all over the place!

Thuber71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thuber71

I have a mac, I'm using the neat portable scanner with ABBY OCR to convert to searchable PDF. Then I use DevonThink personal database to keep track of all the receipts.Even spotlight can find receipts pretty well. Apparently the Neatworks software has a habit of crashing a lot on the mac. I would like to get a scanner with an auto feed such as this one. However, Im extremely reluctant to get this because of the lack of software quality. If I was running a PC I might pull the trigger because the software for the PC is much better. Maybe if I hold out for a while the software will get better for the mac, then I won't have to use a third party solution for their hardware.

doc362

quality posts: 4 Private Messages doc362

This got me to thinking about preserving my vital documents, but after a little digging I think I might give the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 the job instead of the NeatDesk.

This review is slightly dated, but the points brought up aren't any weaker for it.

http://lawyerist.com/neatdesk-scanner-review/

I like the idea of the included Acrobat license with the Fujitsu over fumbling with inferior proprietary software that is destined to destroy files the second I shred them or become obsolete over the course of various service packs and OS releases as I've seen happen to so many other products which are now e-waste.

bocaboy2591

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bocaboy2591

I've tried both the Neat and Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners, and I think the Fujitsu is the better choice. Both are fast and scan both sides, but the Fujitsu—IMHO—works better and more reliably. This isn't a bad price, but I'd still go with the Fujitsu.

lieffring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lieffring

I got this from a previous w00t and though I was originally reluctant to spend the money, I am very glad I did. I have to have electronic scans of all my travel receipts for work. Because of the autofeed function for the tiny receipts, using this scanner is easier and quicker to use than the big floor model printer scanner at work that won't autofeed little receipts. The recognition software works well, too. One other great feature is being able to scan receipts and documents throughout the year for tax time. You can do this same work with a cheap scanner, some OCR software and doing the electronic filing yourself, but this package does all that for you saving oodles of time...which can be a precious commodity.