Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Imagine you had to wear the same outfit for decades - and then suddenly got a chance to change your clothes. Chances are, your atrophied fashion sense would probably pick something heinous. So it goes with these eight storied superheroes and their brief flirtations with a new look. The comics industry just wouldn't be the comics industry without misguided attempts to ditch iconic elements for laughably "updated" versions. Can your x-ray vision see through these unfortunate togs to the familiar heroes beneath?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

If you're into this kind of thing, you may also be into The 12 Most Eighties-Style Superheroes and Supervillains and our look at the costumes of Emerald City Comicon 2012.

joshaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joshaw

I have no idea on #'s 3, 6, and 7 but the rest seem pretty straightforward.

jkosmicki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkosmicki

#6 was a great choice - especially since almost nobody today even knows the Shadow, much less his ill-begotten 60's version from Radio/Archie comics

sandchigger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandchigger

I believe you're mistaken about #5. I'm fairly certain that is USAgent.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

sandchigger wrote:I believe you're mistaken about #5. I'm fairly certain that is USAgent.

USAgent inherited the costume. You can read more here if you wanna.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
sandchigger wrote:I believe you're mistaken about #5. I'm fairly certain that is USAgent.

Yeah, what Scott said is right. But I'll grant you that it's a questionable one, since there was a "Captain America" functioning at the same time as "the Captain", and wearing the old suit. But the Captain was Steve Rogers, and he still palled around with his usual crew (Falcon, the Nomad, etc.). So he was still Captain America to me.

zacwax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zacwax

I thought number 7 was also captain america in his Nomad persona.

mephron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mephron

1) Wonder Woman
2) Iron Man (the 'Silver Sphinx' armor)
3) Aquaman
4) Spider-Man
5) Captain America (now worn by the USAgent)
6) the Atom (in his micro-Conan days)
7) ...is that one of the versions of the Shadow?
8) Superman

orthancstone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages orthancstone

I don't think I'd call Spidey's FF gear a full on change. He's just matching the rest of the team.

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard

Wait, #3 is a dude?!? 0_o

ttfitz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ttfitz
zacwax wrote:I thought number 7 was also captain america in his Nomad persona.

Nah, the Nomad costume only had a cape for about half an issue - ending in one of the all-time greatest scenes involving a costume malfunction ever. Or at least until Janet Jackson.

craigthom

quality posts: 64 Private Messages craigthom

I haven't read many comics since the silver age, but one was obvious to me because of the lasso and the "W" at her neck. And who else could two be?

Six looks the same as he usually did, only with bling.

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
thatheard wrote:Wait, #3 is a dude?!? 0_o

"Aquaman sucks!"