oldcdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldcdog

LOVE!!!!
This robot is smarter than I am! I still have an old Rhomba, but it only gets to do my outside screened-in porch now where it can bang into anything it wants.
Neato is a tad loud, but so is my manual vacuum which I seldom have to use anymore. I also seldom have to clean up things before putting this sucker to work! (I don't schedule it, but just put the button twice when I see animal hair drifting across the room and it sprigs into action!)

ksheeha1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ksheeha1

Neato is coming out with a newer model. It will have a hepa filter and the roller will have brushes. It is supposed to be a "pet Neato". I am not sure I want the brush roller because when I had a Roomba, the pet hair got tangled in it. That's what's "neato" about this model, is that the pet hair does not get tangled in the blades. And beleive me, my Neato vacumes up a lot of dog hair every day. It is also much pricier than this Neato on Woot.

dwicker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dwicker

How does this thing do with.. uhh.. junk left around the house? Like stuff that may be on the floor one day, and gone the next? We have a three year old. Occasionally (okay, every day), some of his toys make it on the floor and not into his toy box.

Plus, we're in a constant state of moving shiz around in this storage-less, tiny house that we've outgrown. So usually there's some kind of crap on the floor.

hostahelen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hostahelen

How often do they have to be emptied?

akimity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akimity

I've used Roomba and a Neato. I like the neato more. It just seems to work better and it's lasted longer without a battery issue.

Calantorntain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Calantorntain

Dear wooters,

Please continue with your praise of this product, so that I can hold off buyers remorse over buying a $300 vacuum.

I'm moving in with a roommate soon who has two cats. Hopefully this, the hardwood floors, and the multiple HEPA purifiers I plan to buy will keep my cat-allergic boyfriend from being overly miserable when he visits every other month (it's a long distance thing)

lintball

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lintball

In for one.

I own a roomba 4xx. It vacuums well, but is dumb when it comes to navigation. It fell down the stairs on its first cleaning.

My main gripe with roomba is the battery. It has a nicad, and it did not last a year.

docb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docb

What is the difference between this XV-12 and the XV-11 on the Neato site?

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

My Neato seems to be quieter than the one in the cat video, and is certainly quieter than my Dyson. I really like it, but have to remember to keep stuff off my floors. Great for under the beds, which I previously got to only about once a year. Highly recommended.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

jackquake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackquake

We bought a Neato on woot a few months ago and it has already given us problems. It simply won't pick up any dirt any more. I've taken the thing apart to see what could be causing it, but nothing yet. It sounds like it is functioning, but there is no suction. Changed the filter, but it didn't look that bad. Contacted Neato and was a black hole--no response.

I guess this is a "buy at your own risk."

nicholson317

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nicholson317
lichme wrote:Here is a picture of the bin. Depending on the size of the house, you might be able to use it a few times before having to empty it.

*May need to empty it a few times on your first run.

So that's where the game carts go :O)

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
jackquake wrote:We bought a Neato on woot a few months ago and it has already given us problems. It simply won't pick up any dirt any more. I've taken the thing apart to see what could be causing it, but nothing yet. It sounds like it is functioning, but there is no suction. Changed the filter, but it didn't look that bad. Contacted Neato and was a black hole--no response.

I guess this is a "buy at your own risk."

Seems unlikely, they have excellent customer support and are quick to send out replacements if there are issues. Perhaps try reaching out to them again?

thenativesarerestless

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thenativesarerestless

i am quite smitten with my neato - and agree it is superior to the roomba (sorry, buddy)

it IS easier to clean and
to answer trsherman’s question - in my experience, it is much less likely to get hung up in places.
roomba required a lot of “prep the room” time - i don’t find that with neato. Neato hasn’t gotten stuck under my kitchen counters and various other spots as roomba does.

****one thing that did throw me was the placement of the base (usage of base is necessary for those nifty scheduled cleanings). I live in an old (oft cluttered) home. Three pronged outlets aren’t in abundance. Most of my base moldings are shoe or quarter round moldings, making it impossible for the base to fit neatly against the wall.
The base location must also have a clear, three foot area around it.
find an area with all the above in a room that you want vacuumed frequently.

Miraculously, there was but ONE area in a prime location that met all the requirements. (the woot! gods were with me when I spotted that nice flat(ish) base molding in the dining room).

I mention this only because this issue momentarily interrupted the otherwise blissful experience that has been …… neato.

from the instructions …..
When placing the charging base, ensure that:
•the back of the charging base is against a wall
•the charging base is least 3 feet from a corner of the room
•the charging base is not tilted
NOTE:There are exit holes on either side of the charging base so that you can
have the cable exit the charging base on the side closest to the wall plug.

http://www.robotshop.com/PDF/neato-xv-11-user-guide.pdf

eta: the exit holes on either side of the charging base came in handy.
After finally finding my location, not having this option would have put me right over the edge. ; )

Arimanio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Arimanio
lichme wrote:Here is a picture of the bin. Depending on the size of the house, you might be able to use it a few times before having to empty it.

*May need to empty it a few times on your first run.

LOL...you may need to vacuum before using it for the first time. That's like people who wash the dishes before they put them in the dishwasher. Hahaha FTW.

Arimanio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Arimanio
Calantorntain wrote:Dear wooters,

Please continue with your praise of this product, so that I can hold off buyers remorse over buying a $300 vacuum.

I'm moving in with a roommate soon who has two cats. Hopefully this, the hardwood floors, and the multiple HEPA purifiers I plan to buy will keep my cat-allergic boyfriend from being overly miserable when he visits every other month (it's a long distance thing)

So what are you doing when he isn't around, Bebe? LOL. Maybe the cats are allergic to your boyfriend...ever consider that? LOL.

dynadom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dynadom

stop selling expensive stupid b s on woot woot was at one time awesome

kalola321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalola321

I bought one retail for my mother at Christmas and she loves it. Kicked myself when I saw it selling $100 cheaper on Woot. Just yesterday I told my daughter "If I ever see it on Woot again I'm buying one for me!" It's an Easter Miracle.

bizoink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bizoink

Does anyone know how well it navigates the strips inbetween different types of flooring? Going from the living room to hallway is 1/4 inch or so, I suspect it can handle that. but from the kitchen to living room is about 3/4" eeek

1wally1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 1wally1

Just bought one on woot a few weeks ago and to be honest didn't have very high expectations..........WRONG......it is the best.
We are 100% hardwood floors. It cranks up at 9am each day and picks up a bin full of dust, dirt and old English sheepdog hair....
I will never be without one again....ever. sure wish I had stock in the company....they are going places.
You will not regret the purchase....dive in.

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed

I'm always tempted when I see these things, but I'm waiting for Dyson to come out with one for $1200. I figure I can get a steal on a refurb on Woot for $939.99.

notashroom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages notashroom

I bought one a few weeks ago when Woot had them on sale, and I'm very happy with mine. We have one floor, one cat, and one chow chow (who blows chunks of coat year-round and bring in lots of leaves, small sticks, etc. from the yard daily).

Mine runs daily and while it's not perfect in getting everything sucked up, it is far superior than our failed attempts at daily vacuuming (I have bad wrists, which makes this challenging for me), or the more realistic weekly vacuuming which leaves the floor unappealing 6 days out of 7. When the Neat-O fails to vacuum something up, it's been because that something was flush against a wall, so follow-up with a vacuum wand would be useful (or sweeping out from walls in non-carpeted areas).

It successfully picks up my chow's fur clumps, which is the #1 thing that has destroyed my vacuums over the last 10 years. It also, for some reason, seems to be a bit aggressive and will follow the dog around if he is in the house, with the cat watching from a safe distance.

The bin is easy to empty, and the brush/roller is easier to remove and clean than I've experienced on any other vacuum I've owned. I am a happy Neat-O owner.

DNfromMN

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DNfromMN

Re bizonik: Does anyone know how well it navigates the strips inbetween different types of flooring? Going from the living room to hallway is 1/4 inch or so, I suspect it can handle that. but from the kitchen to living room is about 3/4" eeek

Neato has legs, actual legs that help him climb those ridges.

I like the one I got a few weeks ago, but he does seem to get stuck in all the spots I want him to work -- under the bed and coffee table.

Mine hasn't mapped the main floor very well yet, he does seem to bump around quite a bit.

Used the spot-cleaning last night after a bit of popcorn spillage and though it took some time, he got it all

2fast1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 2fast1

I bought one the last time Woot offered it, and it arrived quickly. My wife had been asking for a robotic vacuum for a LONG time but I thought they were some stupid gimmick and wouldn't buy. She is very happy with "Elroy" her short, little "boyfriend."
We have a large house with hard surface (hardwood or ceramic tile) in the majority, carpeting in some bedrooms. We have two large dogs that like to shed. Constantly.
Elroy is awesome, but not perfect. He has trouble sometimes making the transition onto a wool area rug with pad (maybe 3/4 inch up from hardwood) and he once got tangled up in a lamp cord and pulled it off the table and broke it into a bazillion pieces. We forgave him. You have to do some preparation before he vacuums, but overall he does a great job. For the big rooms, he often has to go back to his base for a recharge before he finishes, but he somehow manages to do a very thorough vacuuming even if it seems less logical than I might approach the task. Who cares? It works.
Noise? Somewhat annoying but not intolerable. We go in another room or otherwise run Elroy unattended and this isn't an issue.
My wife thinks he does a great job with our carpets. And she loves that he cleans under the beds (although you have to pull up the dust ruffle first. She did buy some additional magnetic strips to section off our open style house so Elroy can focus on the areas She wants cleaned.
One other thing. We have a 3 story house with open staircase, so there are huge openings where Elroy could fall to his death. We have had NO PROBLEMS although the instructions say to pay attention to the sensors under the front edge so they don't get dirty and fail to detect the drop-off.
Dust canister? We empty it after every use and clean the filter. It isn't huge capacity, and I don't expect it to work well if it is clogged or full. Yes, Elroy will call us if he gets too full, but after the first couple uses, that is no longer an issue. Amazing how much dirt the little guy can collect.
If you're on the fence, BUY one and be happy.

insanityensues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanityensues

Saw this exact same model at local Target for same price, though they're not revealing the price on their website. I imagine it varies by location.

stereo55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stereo55

Good little unit as my brother bought one last time around and I checked it out and like it more than my Roomba 560 , but I just fixed my 560 last week for a mear $16 (replaced the left side wheel motor) ; otherwise I'd be all over this deal .

Kinda makes me wish I did not fix my 560 now and still may grab one , .....

whoster69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whoster69

Bought mine at the same price a few weeks back when it was on Woot. Great little vac. I had to learn to move a few cords out of the way and find a place to put its base where it could find it, but after a little trial and error it works great.

I also wanted to mention that customer support is fantastic. They are 24/7. I called for advice on placing the base unit and ended up talking to them for almost an hour. They had a lot of good tips on how to use it and make it more effective. They even offered to replace it if it didn't start working right away.

Highly recommended.

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex

Bought one of these last time it was wooted and have been really happy about it. Works great, rarely has issues, and if you run it every day on a schedule it really does keep your house clean. It's not perfect but it's a huge step up from the once-a-week vacuuming I was doing.

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia
upariver wrote:LOVE my Neato. Owner of 2 Roombas. Neato is far superior. Actually maps the rooms and hits all of them. Almost always returns to home. Occasionally confused by reflective stainless steel refrigerator, and always gets stuck on my ironing board (climbs up the angled leg and gets lost. Good thing that ironing is NOT a common task.) Roomba randomly bumps around the house, but Neato attacks it with purpose.

If you think Roombas "randomly bump around the house" then I don't believe you've ever owned a Roomba.

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex
TehCaspia wrote:If you think Roombas "randomly bump around the house" then I don't believe you've ever owned a Roomba.

Hmmm.... is that why there's even a name for the random bumping around that Roomba dose?

"It will also randomly turn and drive as far as it can until it hits something.

Computer scientists call the Roomba's behavior a "random walk." The big advantage of this approach is that the Roomba doesn't need to map out your living room and then keep track of where it's been. Roomba's walk isn't guaranteed to cover an entire floor, but in practice it does a very good job."

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/12978/

So actually the Roomba not only DOES randomly bump around into things, that's part of it's programming... so that it doesn't "have to" map out a room and actually clean all of it. Big advantage! Not.

katrogii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katrogii

What about a warranty? Is there any kind of return policy for this product? If there is does it go through Woot or Neato? This is my first big purchase from Woot and I don't want to regret it! Thanks for any advice!

Never mind! Just read that Neato has a 1 year warranty!

chemicalrobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemicalrobot

Got one of these last time Woot offered it. It works wonderfully. I have it set to vacuum every morning at 10AM. It starts itself up from its charging station, cleans the rooms, and then it will actually navigate back to its station. Having it on a regular schedule has worked really well, considering I live in an apartment with two cats.

Easily worth $300!

olleewood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages olleewood

Hmmm... I'd really love to get one. But that would mean I'd have to pick up all the clothes off the floor, I have a system! Dirty, slightly dirty, and clean! XD

cwbysm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwbysm

I picked this up on the last offer. Used it the first time after a carpet cleaning service - and hat to empty the bin 3 times! Amazing how thorough it is. Much quieter than I expected - less than a regular vacuum IMHOP. Even my scaredy cat isn't bothered, and he HATES the vacuum. Do it!

ciozszmloes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciozszmloes

Is it just me, or does this vac look like it is paying homage to the original NES? It is because of that, I really like the look of this little thing!

ciozszmloes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciozszmloes
ciozszmloes wrote:Is it just me, or does this vac look like it is paying homage to the original NES? It is because of that, I really like the look of this little thing!

I should have read the entire thread before posting this. Oh well, at least I was not the only one. It is tempting to buy, especially with all the rave reviews on here.

BobatKarps

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobatKarps

Picked up one on the last go-round. I already own two Roombas (upstairs and down)and wanted the Neato to take over the upstairs. It did a fantastic job vacuuming, picking up a LOT that the Roomba missed, but it consistently choked on tassles from an accent rug. I downloaded the software update that should've corrected this, but it wasn't any better. I now have it doing the downstairs floors, and it works better and much faster than my Roomba ever did. Finding a place for it to dock was a bit of an issue, though; Roomba used to live under a tall chair, out of the way, but Neato can't find it's way back there. Other than that, Neato is FAR superior!

daytona200

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daytona200

So I know from having Roomba that I need to keep as many cords out of the way as possible. However, I still have 2 areas where cords do stretch across the floor. How is Neato with these? I've read that it is more powerful, so I'm worried about it getting totally stuck or even chewing up the cords.

epilepticllama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epilepticllama
docb wrote:What is the difference between this XV-12 and the XV-11 on the Neato site?

The color. XV-11 is given to some retailers, XV-12 is given to others. Aside from that, they're the same.

Narg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Narg

I got one of these during the last Woot-Off. I've now put my Roomba away for good, as it doesn't hold a candle to this fantastic vacuum. And, yes, I have almost completely replaced my normal vacuuming duties with this little guy. It doesn't get 100% of the dirt, but it does well enough to manually vacuum about 1/3 the amount I did before. It also does great on dog hair. I do have to empty it every day though, it amazes me how well it does for what it is. Only negatives are that it doesn't seem to stick to it's programming very well. I've had to restart it a few times during the week for it to keep to it's daily schedule. Not sure what that is yet, but it's probably something simple.

m3rdpwr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages m3rdpwr

Bought this two weeks ago on last woot.

Works good, amazing how much dust it still collects every day.

I think it's mostly because I have a forced air systems in the house that blows dust around while on.

A worthy investments if it in fact lasts!

-Mario