mcboozo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcboozo

I've got an older (first gen) Flip Mino HD, any idea how this would compare? Is it worth $50 to possibly upgrade? Thanks for any feedback!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ThunderThighs wrote:I will certainly ask. Neither the Quick Start Guide and the specs on the page you liked mention it. I'm gonna guess no.

Inky or I will post an answer in the morning.

Just heard back. It DOES NOT have a touch screen. They double checked the sample yesterday.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

thomasz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages thomasz

It mentions time-lapse but not in the specs. What are the time-lapse capabilities?

B13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages B13
woottoady wrote:I don't get it... I can't text, tweet or Facebook with this thing, or play games, read books, listen to my tunes, or even make calls.

What good is this?

My toaster does none of those things either, but it is pretty good at doing what it was designed to do.

Sounds like you need a decent smartphone, not a pocket camcorder.

spin711

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spin711

Yes, can finally use this to record my Barrel of Crops findings

moonman921

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonman921

Does any one know if this is compatible with a Mac?

r33f3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r33f3r

I bought one, I hope this one last's at least a few months.

This is for the people saying to just go buy a FlipHD;

I had an original GoPro Hero to capture race videos of myself, after that started acting up(after about a year and a half of use) I purchased a refurb Flip HD.

It was the one that flooded all the online retailers for around $60. I should have done better research as I went through 2 of them VERY quickly.

One lasted a single event, and stopped turning on afterwards. Luckily TigerDirect replaced it. The replacement lasted one event too, well half an event... it captured me and my co-drivers morning runs, but failed to turn on in the afternoon.

When I contacted TigerDirect this time, they told me I had to go through the manufacturer. I was over Cisco's 30 day limit, so it became a paperweight.

mikelod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikelod

Does anyone know how this compares to the Kodak Zi8? I love my Kodak Zi8 but I need a back up. Also, how's the audio recording for this, loud volumes spike on my flip mino too often.

kackland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kackland

So i'm standing there, waiting to use Woot. (ya he was seriously). And this camcorder that's for sale turns around, and tips his hat like this. And who do you think that guy was? Camileo Estevez!! The mighty duck man I swear to God I was there! Of course you were you were the one who yelled the breakfast clubbers name! I was like CAMILEOOOO!!

sbdb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbdb

Back in the day those huge cameras were the only thing going. In 1988 I walked into Crazy Eddy's, plunked down my $1,200 and walked out with a huge camcorder, a hard carrying case, an extra battery and a tripod.

Almost 15 years later I had a couple of laundry baskets full of family VHS tapes. It took me almost 2 years to covert them all (40 full DVDs) and make 7 complete sets for the kids (almost 300 DVDs total).

Result: This cruddy technology, which could be likened to having a millstone around your neck, is one of the best investments we ever made. The last time I checked, the kids are still watching those videos of our family growing up from infant to college graduation. And it was all recorded on a camcorder the size of a cinder block.

zomigi

quality posts: 4 Private Messages zomigi

Can anyone say more about how well this records in indoor lighting and low-light situations? My favorite thing about both Flip cameras I've owned (one was stolen, the other I broke the power button on 2 months ago) is how well they capture video in low light. Most of my videos are of my little kids playing inside, so this is an important feature to me. Can anyone say how this Toshiba's low-light quality compares to the Flip UltraHD's?

r4ndy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages r4ndy

I too am interested in the sound quality of this camera... I'd mostly use it for festivals and the sound doesn't have to be perfect, but if there wasn't so much bass recorded I'd be one happy camper!

EvilShamen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EvilShamen
dnecsoi wrote:It will get to the point that you record with your eye and store it to a brain location

I have that feature already. I believe the technical term is "memory". :-)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

moonman921 wrote:Does any one know if this is compatible with a Mac?

The Mac system requirements are listed in the Specs on the main page.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

CinciTech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CinciTech
bluejester wrote:Everytime I see these pocket-sized camcorders I'm blown away how by how far technology has come.

Anyone remember when it looked like this:

My uncle had one like that. It made him look like a person undergoing conversion to a Dalek.

Now we have ones that would make a 1960's James Bond jealous, but it's still not good enough if it's not hi-def.

Sorry, end rant/nostalgic thoughts.

My parents still have a Quasar VCR and camera that looks a lot like that one. The VCR had a strap so you could sling it over your shoulder, and a battery pack that we never used 'cause dad had rigged up a plug (but imagine how much weight this innovation saved in the 80's!). The camera itself was a great toy, and I'm sure cost thousands of dollars new. But, to its credit it did NOT have digital zoom! :D

Cooter007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cooter007

I bought one to go in the car so I can record my daily 'death ride' on I-77 in Charlotte, NC.

I just checked my Account, I have bought one product from woot every year since 2006. I guess I'm done for this year! See you in 2013! Oh wait the world ends Dec 21, 2012. I guess I can stop buying extended warranties. I wonder if the Mayans accounted for leap year(s)? The world may be ending tomorrow because of leap year calculations. I should have insured the shipping!

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

[quote postid="4951910" user="jmp8910"]Good Price! Goes for $119 from the manufacturer.
http://us.toshiba.com/video-electronics/camcorders/camileo-b10/[/quo

Yeah, waste $55 instead of MSRP $120. You can easily find it for $79 at retail stores.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
sbdb wrote:
Result: This cruddy technology, which could be likened to having a millstone around your neck, is one of the best investments we ever made. The last time I checked, the kids are still watching those videos of our family growing up from infant to college graduation. And it was all recorded on a camcorder the size of a cinder block.

Awww.

I'm just hanging out, really.

spin711

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spin711

I see it comes with a handstrap to help eliminate slips and falls but how does this device do against shock? I'm assuming that anyone will at least drop this once while on-the-go, but will this ruin performance like many other devices? Also, does this have any water resistant features, I don't see any listed. I'm not saying I would use this as a GO-Pro or any outdoor made video camera, but would it be good enough.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 87 Private Messages sellbuyer92

I saw this at first and said,"wow a great deal" but then saw the picture and what type of camera that it was. I would definitely want one of these but it seems like I can get more for my money somewhere else...

joshwaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshwaa

Toshibas website has reviews on this........all one stars

http://us.toshiba.com/video-electronics/camcorders/camileo-b10/

r4ndy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages r4ndy
joshwaa wrote:Toshibas website has reviews on this........all one stars

http://us.toshiba.com/video-electronics/camcorders/camileo-b10/

nuff said... thx.

drdoke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drdoke
r4ndy wrote:nuff said... thx.

Consumer reports shows sound quality is at the absolutely lowest rating.

polhemoth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages polhemoth
r4ndy wrote:I too am interested in the sound quality of this camera... I'd mostly use it for festivals and the sound doesn't have to be perfect, but if there wasn't so much bass recorded I'd be one happy camper!

I've used this for work, and the sound is mono and pretty awful. Video is nice though.

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

why does it look like the sticker on the bottom is not on straight???

prissyrabbit

quality posts: 4 Private Messages prissyrabbit

IMO - not worth the $50. I have the S20 model (which has the flip-out screen that I really wanted). So, it's not the same model, but it seems this model has all the same complaints as the model I have - especially the bad sound and basically not useable in low lighting. Someone said they would use it to take to concerts. You'll only do that once cuz you will get a video that you can't see anything. And the sound will be bad. This is okay (picture-wise) to use outdoors in BRIGHT sunlight only. And still, you won't get good sound quality at all.

I bought the one I have so I could have something small to carry in my purse so I would not have to have my bigger video camera with bag and all the accessories. I have used it once and it now is in the pile of long forgotten electronics that I will most likely never pick up again.

Sorry Toshiba - looks convenient and cool and all, but it is a no-go.

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77
bluejester wrote:Everytime I see these pocket-sized camcorders I'm blown away how by how far technology has come.

My uncle had one like that. It made him look like a person undergoing conversion to a Dalek.

Now we have ones that would make a 1960's James Bond jealous, but it's still not good enough if it's not hi-def.

We had one just like this when I was a kid! This made me lol today, but back then that was a high-end piece of technology! I loved it!

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

I appreciate your now/then comparison--you're right! Technology HAS come a long way!

My dad bought one like that in the late 80's. Those cams were so HUGE because of the standard-sized VHS tape that had to fit inside it, not to mention all the gadgetry necessary to make a tape work. You could only review what you had taped through the viewfinder on the tiny black & white screen in the eyepiece. Plus, you had to actually consider silly things like "white balance."

It was far preferable to some of the early JVC models that had the camera separate from the actual "VCR" part that you carried by a shoulder strap, remember? I guess they were connected by some sort of cable (probably proprietary).

I suppose every iteration of size reduction in portable videography was made possible by an equal reduction in storage medium size--digital tapes, then mini-DVDs, then small hard drives, and, now, flash storage. . . all over the past 15-20 years.

Thanks, for the muse, bluejester! I'd honestly had never pondered that before!

diane4135

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diane4135
moonman921 wrote:Does any one know if this is compatible with a Mac?

Mac OS 10.5 or above
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4GHz or above
1GB RAM
1GB free hard disk space
DVD-ROM
USB 2.0 Port

Retail Grunt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Retail Grunt
mrmadness2 wrote:Scaring you??? It's like fifty dollars. Just buy it and use it once, then if you don't like it throw it in the trash. I'll spend fifty dollars today on paper towels.

Is that all you spend on paper towels?
You should see my toilet paper purchases!

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

Pay a few extra bucks and get the Kodak playsport ZX5, it's a better camera and waterproof. It was one of the best things that Kodak ever put out- it's got great reviews all around the web.

curtisl42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curtisl42

Anyone else think this said Toshiba Cameltoe?

Maybe it's just me.

radt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages radt
jseureau wrote:I have always had good luck with Toshiba, No experience with this camcorder but if it's like their laptops and their cameras than it has to be awesome!

I have a Toshiba 26" HDTV Flat screen. It has the best quality picture of ANY of my others, including SONY, SYLVANIA and EMERSON.

radt

gak0090 wrote:Pay a few extra bucks and get the Kodak playsport ZX5, it's a better camera and waterproof. It was one of the best things that Kodak ever put out- it's got great reviews all around the web.

I also have the KODAK ZX1, one of the earlier models I believe. Just love it! I purchased this Toshiba as a gift for a friend.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv

Remember, my parents still have one this size. I wonder how many are on eBay.

Catbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Catbird
gak0090 wrote:Pay a few extra bucks and get the Kodak playsport ZX5, it's a better camera and waterproof...

I have one. I agree, it is quite a nice little camcorder and well worth the $69 I paid for it.
Just for clarification, the Kodak ZX5 isn't waterproof, however it is water resistant down to 1 meter, IIRC.

michaels1715

quality posts: 9 Private Messages michaels1715

I bought this a few months ago and just used it again last night to make a video of my chicks hatching. The picture qualtity is excellent and it's very easy to use. What I like the most is that unlike the Mino Flip HD that I used previosly, this one takes a memory card so I don't run out of space while recording. I highly recommend it, especially at this excellent price!!

radt

CinciTech wrote:My parents still have a Quasar VCR and camera that looks a lot like that one. The VCR had a strap so you could sling it over your shoulder, and a battery pack that we never used 'cause dad had rigged up a plug (but imagine how much weight this innovation saved in the 80's!). The camera itself was a great toy, and I'm sure cost thousands of dollars new. But, to its credit it did NOT have digital zoom! :D

I have one exactly like in the photo here.....it sits unused in the closet gathering dust. Seems like I paid maybe $1,000.00? Too heavy to carry around!

doc362

quality posts: 4 Private Messages doc362

I was like CAMILEEEEEOO!!!!!!

kackland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kackland

Did you think of this yourself and write it, or read my comment and appreciate it? I was really hoping someone would get the reference and like it.