gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
shelldav wrote:How long has it been since Woot offered a truly quality product at an unmatched price? Methinks it was before Amazon bought the site.

You are right on- I totally agree

irrelevantswizz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages irrelevantswizz

Can anyone tell if these specs would be decent enough to handle some video-editing?

dasnicholas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasnicholas

dasnicholas wrote:
Anybody?

scarab wrote:From looking at Lenovo's discontinued products catalog, I believe it's a L512 2598-35U

But no one knows for sure...?

rookaloo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rookaloo

It has a webcam. This is the top-of-the-line Lenovo. I have one and it's great. You can use either Windows 7 or Windows XP. Before we bought we asked computer repairmen which brands has the fewest problem and they all said Lenovo and HP.

This is a great buy. Go for it.

Julia Byrd Bishop

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull
rookaloo wrote:It has a webcam. This is the top-of-the-line Lenovo. I have one and it's great. You can use either Windows 7 or Windows XP. Before we bought we asked computer repairmen which brands has the fewest problem and they all said Lenovo and HP.

This is a great buy. Go for it.

I wouldn't say that it's the "top of the line", considering you can spend a couple grand on ThinkPads, ... but this is one hell of a deal!

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman
nmpls wrote:basically the same specs as my T410s, though I have 8GB RAM and discrete graphics.

Exactly the same specs as my T410, except for the screen is smaller (1366x768 vs 1440x900)and I also added 8 GB ram.

The most recent game I've played on it is BioShock (that's 2007, I think), more or less because I haven't bought any new games since, but it ran just fine.

I've also ran:
Halo CE and 2
Team Fortress
Far Cry (With AMD 64 patch, of course)
Call Of Duty
Sins of a Solar Empire
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Of course these are all at least six years old and older, but the HD in the 520m i5 works ok. . similar to a Radeon 9600 with 128 MB

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
irrelevantswizz wrote:Can anyone tell if these specs would be decent enough to handle some video-editing?

It appears that it should handle video editing from time to time. It all delends on the size of the video and software being used.

makphisto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages makphisto

Anyone interested in giving me a comparison against this HP for $75 more?
http://www.amazon.com/HP-g7-1310us-17-3-Inch-Screen-Laptop/dp/B006OEL7Z8

Well parents are the same no matter time nor place / So to you other kids all across the land / Take it from me / Parents just don't understand

scozzman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scozzman
dasnicholas wrote:dasnicholas wrote:
Anybody?

But no one knows for sure...?

Looks like it is the
L512 2598

Here is a link on its specs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-l512-2598/4507-3121_7-34076351.html?tag=mncol;lwrspecs

atomicjedi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atomicjedi
sirsinger wrote:Don't forget that this includes a 3 year warranty from Lenovo. That alone is usually a $80 retail upgrade from a 1 year. I've also always had great experiences with any warranty repair from Lenovo and typically get my laptops back within 72 hours of shipment. (Always keep the hard drive, unless you want it erased.)

P.S. It's an LED screen, not an LCD as written by poster above.

So where can you tell it has the 3 year warranty I cant seem to find it. Could you please lead the blind?

NEVERMIND I AM BLIND I SEE IT!!!

Dianrez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dianrez

You asked what was done after the water was spilled near the Lenovos...in one case I can verify it was WATER, a nearly full glass was tipped over beside the laptop. Water went over and under it and stood there for a while until it was discovered. Totally fried. In the other case, I can't verify anything as it was in another city, but the description was water was found on the tabletop and the laptop was dead. However, that twin was able to resurrect it much later for a short time before it went dead again.
I'd not believe anything unless I got a certificate from the manufacturer that it is indeed WATERPROOF.

insanityensues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanityensues

I've had one of these for a couple of months, and as a graduate student who uses a lot of free "legacy" software for statistical analysis, this computer has been great for me. Also, the keyboard is great for those carpal-tunnel-inducing, early morning emergency thesis edits!

mkiisupraman18

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mkiisupraman18

In for one, but I'm too dumb to know:

This thing will play MineCraft, right?

keysmad

quality posts: 10 Private Messages keysmad

Although I haven't had a thinkpad through lenovo, I did have it through IBM and lemme tell ya... it was hoss. You could drop those things from 10 feet up and they'd start and run like new. I loved it and it lasted 5 years before it showed any issues. Since then, I've had a dell, and an hp and I hated both. I now have a lenovo y470 (ideapad) and it is awesome. I've had it about 6 months and absolutely no issues. Love lenovo!

meanseeds

quality posts: 1 Private Messages meanseeds

I was looking for a thinkpad yesterday, and this one happened to come up today.

I consider it a fate too strong to fight. Now that I have it on the way, are these easily upgradeable should I decide somewhere down the line that I need more memory?

scottbot84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottbot84

I'm replacing an sl510 with this one, its an incremental upgrade but after I sell my old machine the cost is minimal.

I can attest to its durability, even w/o the roll cage of the higher end thinkpads, its pretty tough(It fell off my bike while in a pannier onto asphalt, and survived w/ a minuscule crack on the palm rest. )

Also I have never seen another laptop that is easier to service and upgrade (and no "warranty void if removed" stickers). For example the power connector is a simple replaceable part, one that commonly breaks on a lot of laptops. Even the processor is upgradable (within limits of course) which is practically unheard of.

All in all not a bad deal, Thinkpads are kind of like toughbooks, you pay more for the build quality as opposed to nice parts in a crummy case.

Also, anyone know if it has Bluetooth? I assume no but it would be a nice surprise if it did.

blakewidmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blakewidmer
scottbot84 wrote:I'm replacing an sl510 with this one, its an incremental upgrade but after I sell my old machine the cost is minimal.

I can attest to its durability, even w/o the roll cage of the higher end thinkpads, its pretty tough(It fell off my bike while in a pannier onto asphalt, and survived w/ a minuscule crack on the palm rest. )

Also I have never seen another laptop that is easier to service and upgrade (and no "warranty void if removed" stickers). For example the power connector is a simple replaceable part, one that commonly breaks on a lot of laptops. Even the processor is upgradable (within limits of course) which is practically unheard of.

All in all not a bad deal, Thinkpads are kind of like toughbooks, you pay more for the build quality as opposed to nice parts in a crummy case.

Also, anyone know if it has Bluetooth? I assume no but it would be a nice surprise if it did.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/2598xc3.html

website says it has bluetooth.

elvestinkle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages elvestinkle
mkiisupraman18 wrote:In for one, but I'm too dumb to know:

This thing will play MineCraft, right?

If it can play Skyrim, and it can, it can play MineCraft. (Secretly wanted it for that. But I needed a grad school laptop, so I had to get a secret gaming computer that doesn't scream GAMING or the wyf would have my hide...)

lnjelinek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lnjelinek

i just REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope mine ships out fast :-)

hell, they could package it like the Pyrex that got shattered to bits and I'm sure they would all be fine. The power of Lenovo.

mkiisupraman18

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mkiisupraman18
elvestinkle wrote:If it can play Skyrim, and it can, it can play MineCraft. (Secretly wanted it for that. But I needed a grad school laptop, so I had to get a secret gaming computer that doesn't scream GAMING or the wyf would have my hide...)

I see we are in the same boat... lol

chefferz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chefferz

I have a Thinkpad R40 I got back in 2003. The computer has survived so many moves, abuse, and trips. The only thing to have ever gone bad with it was the battery... Poor thing is sitting in a closet as we speak, still able to run like a champion... a 2003 champion.. :C

crapstick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crapstick
sirsinger wrote:Don't forget that this includes a 3 year warranty from Lenovo. That alone is usually a $80 retail upgrade from a 1 year. I've also always had great experiences with any warranty repair from Lenovo and typically get my laptops back within 72 hours of shipment. (Always keep the hard drive, unless you want it erased.)

P.S. LED is the back light technology used in this LCD screen.

Never mind. Someone else already addressed this. Disregard.

wyreless

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wyreless

For me it was a no brainer.In for one. I've had Thinkpads since the "Beginning" My first Thinkpad was the 700 Mono ( pretty sure 386 SX 25, maybe a 486 sx 25 lol). Then the 700C color then the 720c (thats when I knew I had "arrived". I love the Trackpoint , it has always blown away any form of Trackpad pointing device. The 3yr warranty is incredibly strong point and IBM/ Lenovo has never, EVER, let me down. You call up, do the diagnosis. If not user fixable, they overnite you a DEPOT Return box, all on their dime BTW, and you get your machine picked up and then fixed and sent back in a matter of days. I cant even put a price on that degreeconvenience level. Nothing better to have a Notebook go down and not need to panic because its the 13th month and your out of warranty or you need to roll your sleeves up to deal with some hourly wage guy at the local "We Are Faking It 4 You" Repair Center. No Muss, No Fuss!

For $505 Im not a power user, I just need a good solid machine running a good solid semi-current hardware and software setup. I just got that right here.

This is one deal you will not have to constantly worry about and experience "Did I get a deal?" Syndrome.

Im in for one. Thanks WOOT!!!

BTW, Do I sound like a Fanboy? YOU BETCHA !!!

"Living For The DEAL!!"

killerofgiants

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killerofgiants

I've had this laptop with almost the same specs (just a slightly larger HDD) since they were first available almost two years ago. I bought it for college and it has definitely delivered. Hundreds of rowdy parties and lugging it around from class to class, it has seen it all--and still functions and looks brand new! While it is pretty big, the 16:9 screen makes it really long, the sturdiness of it makes up for everything.

The bad: webcam kind of sucks, I'd rather have the rubbery top-cover that other Thinkpads have, and the screen is just alright, nothing very special.

I paid almost $900 for it in mid-2010, so this is a pretty good deal on a great laptop. I own about 15 Thinkpads, all from different eras, and this one holds up just as well in terms of quality. If a business laptop is what you are looking for, you just found it!

teedos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teedos

I would never, ever, buy a Lenovo product again. Manufactured poorly and when they receive your broken item, them blame you instead of fixing it. Horrible company.

freetek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages freetek
sirsinger wrote:

I think you are confusing the screen and back-lighting technologies; it is a Liquid Crystal Display but is using the newer Light Emitting Diode matrix as a light source instead of the earlier fluorescent tubes which are much more limited in life span and require an inverter to supply the ionizing voltage. This latter system, once used in all notebooks is more prone to failure than LEDs.

In the same vein, TVs using LCD displays are also becoming common with LEDs as their light source.

Freedom is inversely proportional to the size of government.

riggo8381

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riggo8381

Grr... Been looking for a new laptop for Grad school this fall and read 5 pages of reviews only to see "Sold Out."

As a Woot vet you think I would know better than to wait until 2000 to see what the deal today is...

Odds of this or another Thinkpad coming back up soon?

gtswanny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtswanny

Glad I read the reviews fast enough to get in for one.

I converted my company to Thinkpads about 13 years ago and have never looked backed. The Thinkpads have consistently been "sales person proof".

Bought this one to replace a 4 year old personal R61e that was on the fritz and needed re-imaging (it took a serious beating and kept on ticking). Windows 7 Pro AND 3 year warranty? Done deal.

Performance wise, this will more than suffice for almost every consumer out there.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
coolman01231 wrote:In for One. Can't wait to read my Lightining Lad comics on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Son of a Tron Guy!

bertramwoosterIII

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bertramwoosterIII

i think i bought one but i am not sure.

my credit card says woot charged me for the $499+shipping, but it also has an 'authorization adjustment' for the same amount. this is very perplexing to me.

any help from woot staff? will i be getting one of these fine machines?

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
bertramwoosterIII wrote:i think i bought one but i am not sure.

my credit card says woot charged me for the $499+shipping, but it also has an 'authorization adjustment' for the same amount. this is very perplexing to me.

any help from woot staff? will i be getting one of these fine machines?

Did you order around the time they sold out? If so that's may have been what happened it sold out the same time you click buy. Not sure, but one of the staffers will def. know the answer.

them2h

quality posts: 0 Private Messages them2h

Is the warranty on this International. I am planning to give this as a gift.

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

The one that got away

edslee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edslee

UPS says my laptop will be here tomorrow (Monday) afternoon!

...not bad for $5 shipping!

ktkossman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ktkossman
edslee wrote:UPS says my laptop will be here tomorrow (Monday) afternoon!

Mine too. After years of taking 3+ weeks to deliver woot purchases, finally the have adopted an Amazon trait we can appreciate.

ashevs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashevs
edslee wrote:UPS says my laptop will be here tomorrow (Monday) afternoon!

I don't think mine has shipped yet. This is my first Woot though, so not sure if I'm missing something...

alager

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alager
ashevs wrote:I don't think mine has shipped yet. This is my first Woot though, so not sure if I'm missing something...

Please allow five business days from your purchase date for tracking information to be available. We will get it to you as soon as it ships out.

ashevs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashevs
alager wrote:Please allow five business days from your purchase date for tracking information to be available. We will get it to you as soon as it ships out.

Thanks!

edslee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edslee

Thinkpad arrived via UPS today. Booting it up now. There are cramware/bloatware:
1) Google Toolbar
2) Google Chrome
3) MS Office 2010 Trial
4) Norton Virus already installed and running
5) Assortment of Levono "tools"

The computer started off at 109 processes showing in taskmanager. After removal of google tool bar, google chrome, norton anti-virus (replaced with McAfee), and after the windows update, the number of processes float between 96 and 101.

Total time for the above setup: ~2hrs.

dtwalters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtwalters
edslee wrote:Thinkpad arrived via UPS today. Booting it up now. There are cramware/bloatware:
1) Google Toolbar
2) Google Chrome
3) MS Office 2010 Trial
4) Norton Virus already installed and running
5) Assortment of Levono "tools"

The computer started off at 109 processes showing in taskmanager. After removal of google tool bar, google chrome, norton anti-virus (replaced with McAfee), and after the windows update, the number of processes float between 96 and 101.

Total time for the above setup: ~2hrs.

What was the actual type number from the back of your Thinkpad (like 1844-5GU)?