RRC2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RRC2000
Wholesaleforless wrote:Isn't this the same model that HP and Sam's were selling for $150 when it was discontinued?

Correct. I bought one then. Good tablet, but I wouldn't pay $250 now for the same exact product. I hear they do have stable versions of android available for it now, but I'm not sure if that includes the latest android, ICS.

I still keep the stock WebOS On it, and it's a good tablet for web surfing, but the selection of apps pails in comparison to android or iOS. At $250, I'd rather go out and buy a refurb honeycomb android tablet that will be upgraded to ICS. I own an Acer Iconia A500 and I use it a lot more than this. You can buy a refurb for the same price with better specs, including things like expandable memory via microSD card slot, a rear camera, and a USB port. Other options include the motorola Xoom, ASUS transformer, or the the toshiba thrive

mommadillo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mommadillo

I bought one of the 16 GB versions for $99 last year when they first went on sale, and I've loved having mine. Remember these were designed to sell for over $500 as competition for Apple's iPads - they're loaded with high-end features like built-in Bluetooth.

Other than the whole "discontinued" thing with its myriad issues and concerns, my only real complaint is the camera. Great for video-conferencing, lousy for anything else.

This is a pretty good price, but much as I'd like to have the extra storage, I believe I'll pass. If I could pick one (or more) up for the hundred and a half they were going for during the closeout sale, I'd jump on it, but that extra hundred is cause for hesitation, at least for me.

gkcmilner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gkcmilner

I love mine. The WebOS UI is the best! I like it much more than my iPad 2 (the UI that is). I use my Touchpad more than my iPad 2 just because of the UI. I've been looking for an Android launcher app that mimics the WebOS UI but haven't had much luck. The battery life is great, and doesn't drain like and Android tablet does when it's sleeping.

dack69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dack69
zelgadis123 wrote:I have the HP Touchpad 32 gig unit from the firesale at the firesale price.

Observations

Things I didn't like
1) Web OS is just ok, it is slow, but it is intuitive to use
2) Web Os is effectively dead, and the developer exodus and lack of updates for programs and Webos reflect this despite it going open source after summer
3) the Marketplace is very very sparse, and any apps are expensive compared to their Itunes equivalent
4) no hdmi to hook into TV
5) takes as long as a conventional computer to boot in WebOS
6) Heavy, I am a big guy, and holding the Touchpad up with one hand for any length of time is very uncomfortable
7) The web browser is painfully slow sometimes

Things I like
1) Easy to unlock or install preware
2) Fast processor and decent GPU allows you to watch 1080p hi profile video no problem with Kalemsoft player
3) Can install Android, which shows the true potential of the tablet. Android on Hp Touchpad is very fast, and app selection is only second to Apple Appstore
4) decent battery life, just slightly less than a standard Ipad

With that said, I been following Android Cyranomod development very closely and the Ice Cream Sandwich HP touchpad port is still not ready in my opinion for everyday consumption b/c there are some show stopping bugs. There is also the issue that installing Cyranomod isn't for everyone b/c of the potential technical issues and complexity.

As is, this price is 100 or more dollars too much. Google is going to release a Tegra 3 quad core tablet soon for 200-250 dollars soon. There is absolutely no reason to spend money on Hp Touchpad.

What are the show stopping bugs since I've been using my ICS touchpad for 6-8 hers a day every day for 2 months I'm just wondering?

ingus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ingus

I have had one of these since HP had the fire sale. I fitted it with a leather case and use the Touchstone charger, a charging cradle like a picture frame holder that sits on a table.

I realized that a tablet is not for me. However, I can't say enough good stuff about this. I love the HP WebOS.I will eventually play with an Android OS as well.

Mine is always on tuned in to one of the many Internet radio stations. The Beats audio is second to none on this tablet. Mozart plays in the background, the weather is displayed from a weather app. I can pick it up and read my email quickly. It has a great alarm clock. Video and pics all look great.

My $150 was well spent. For $250 I don't know. I think that I'd go with the "get an older iPad for $100 more" advice. However the sound system on the Touchpad is much better than on an iPad.

Nekosdad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nekosdad

Can I get to my I-Tunes account & play I-tunes?

Nekosdad

jmignemi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmignemi

I'm considering a kindle fire-mainly interested in reading, but wanted to be able to access the internet periodically. Now I saw this-people who have one/know them-any thoughts? What's my best bet? Thanks!

imonarock

quality posts: 2 Private Messages imonarock

I have a Targus Truss case on my Touchpad. It took a ride on my trunk for 2 miles before flying off into an intersection at 30 mph. The Touchpad has a minor scuff on the corner, but is otherwise flawless. Durable yes..

3eyore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 3eyore

If you're waking up and reading all of this and still on the fence, here's reality from someone who uses one of these a LOT:

- This is the best tablet hardware available at this price right now. Other hardware of the same quality costs more; cheaper hardware is either lacking in some way or unsupported by the Android dev teams (meaning: no ICS).

- WebOS is nice, so is ICS. Both are available for the Touchpad, both work well, buy whatever apps you need for either OS and be happy, 'cause they both work as expected.

- Don't hold out hope for camera support under Android. If that matters to you, don't buy this.

- Get a folio case. The thing is slippery.

- Forget about the fire sale prices. That's history. This is the best deal going for this tablet now. Decide on that basis.

- Now read everything else in this thread and decide.

tpeter5051

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpeter5051

why would anyone spend 249 on this? No support unless your a nerd that likes to hack things and add different OS like android but then it still runs like grabage. 249 can get you a decent andriod rdy tablet or better yet you can get a Refurb Ipad from apple direct with warranty for around this price..

loooney2ns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loooney2ns
skrutinizr wrote:Meh. Tablets. Don't see the point. awkward to hold, suck to type out an email on 'em... really really don't see the point when a netbook does more and seems less fragile.

I didn't see the use either until I bought one myself. Now I hardly ever use my laptop. The tablet is much more convenient for web surfing in bed and for reading books. Battery life is great and it's much lighter than a netbook. See if you can borrow one for a day or two. You may be very surprised at how much you like it.

wootbozboz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootbozboz

Does anybody know if there is more than one model of "HP TouchPad 32GB" ?

I am trying to compare this to another offering of "HP TouchPad FB356UT 32GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7in - Glossy Black" @

http://www.ecrater.com/p/14442597/hp-touchpad-fb356ut-32gb-wi

Is it the same ?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Basil K. Al-Gailani

prUsP69E

quality posts: 3 Private Messages prUsP69E

I have owned the 16GB version and sold it for a $120 profit about 4 months ago and got an iPad2.

To make the Touchpad usable I spent hours on end installing CM7 and subsequent updates/hacks to make it perform correctly. The tablet was completely rooted. But I was using the tablet everyday for emails and other things I do on the web. Then Google comes out and says that rooted tablets should not be used for Google Wallet.

Don't be penny wise pound foolish. Do not use a rooted device as your daily tablet. Not worth the risk.

Having said that ... a new study has been released that shows that even non-rooted Android devices allow installed Apps to access very sensitive information. Not worth it.

I am not an Apple fanboy (the iPad was my very first Apple purchase) ... I am just being practical. I would jump ship without hesitation if Google releases its own (and more secure) tablet.

Cheers. Again ... bad bad bad deal IF you are planning to use this tablet for important stuff.

prUsP69E

quality posts: 3 Private Messages prUsP69E
3eyore wrote:
- WebOS is nice, so is ICS. Both are available for the Touchpad, both work well, buy whatever apps you need for either OS and be happy, 'cause they both work as expected.

Not true. I used to own the Touchpad. WebOS sucks big time because most Apps look amateurish compared to IOS / Android apps.

More importantly, the OS is really sloppy and often does not react to your touch. It was very very frustrating. More so, because my wife's iPad1 with its slower processor was a lot more responsive than the Touchpad.

Bad deal. Especially since it needs to be rooted to install Android ... Security goes out the window. Buy it if you want a toy to play with. Do not use it for day to day banking / email stuff. Stay away.

loooney2ns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loooney2ns

I wish this was available a few months ago. While I'm very happy with my 32 gb Acer Iconia, I really wanted one of these. I would even buy one now, but not for $250. It should be $150, like the fire sale price. For $49 more, I got a tablet that is stable and still supported by the manufacturer and the developer community. It also has a full size USB port and an HDMI out. For the shortcomings of the TouchPad, it should be less money.

zott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zott

My first tablet was a viewsonic gtablet purchased from woot over a year ago which I promptly modded with several different versions or android. I found that I loved the tablet form factor but hated the constant little troubles associated with android mods. When the HP touchpads went on sale last summer I picked up one and found that I loved the touchpad and WebOS, even with its limited app market. The tablet is fast, has excellent hardware and blew my viewsonic away for reliability and speed. I liked it so much that I waited 6 months before finally giving in to install ICS android. Wow....now I dual boot both operating systems and am selling the gtablet . And I bought another touch pad......

dandalyin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dandalyin

Does this have an actual web browser? For example, can I get into google docs for spreadsheets? Thanks!

wolf1154

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolf1154

I bought a couple of these when they were being discontinued by HP for $169 each. (You can find t3hem on CL for $200).

They are great for sitting on the sofa and checking email, but they are REALLY, REALLY HEAVY! Reading in bed is like getting an arm workout.

The WebOS sucks, but once you have android on it, its an android although I've had problems not being able to connect the wifi.

When I bought mine from HP is was no refunds, no returns. They aren't supporting them any more (maybe that's changed.)

My recommendation: Wait for the others to drop in price and whatever you do, DON'T buy one of those crappy $59 tablets either.

twcg001177

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twcg001177

If I pay $249.00 for this when my buddy at work got his for $99.00 will have to do the dance of shame.

I don't do the dance of shame.

smacasek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smacasek

How does this stack up to the Vizio Tablet that can be purchased at Costco for 189.00?

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

Just got this refurb, mainly for my wife. It works well for most things; only disappointment is that it can't Skype with users who are using the latest PC version (no sound).

I know the ice cream doesn't support the camera so has anyone, by chance, found a successful way to Skype?

ruffyy123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruffyy123

Don't let this one slip out of the case. Let me tell you I've had mine for six months and nary an issue. Opening the box was an experience. Unwrapping the Touchpad and feeling it's heft in your hand makes you realise the quality built into this tablet. It just felt like quality in my hand. The WebOS operating system is simplicity itself. It is intuitive and non frustrating. I recently bought an Andriod phone and it's maddening compared to WebOS. There aren't as many apps availiable but the major ones are there. What are you expecting to do on a tablet? Skype works great on this tablet. I found out that the battery shaped recharger has an adaptable endcap. Make sure it's tightly screwed on. but other than that I am completely in love with my Touchpad. The downside is that there is no sd card slot but I can live with that. And for those who are purely Android heads there are custom roms out there and support for them. And to end it all I hate Apple products. They are over priced and are arrogantly proprietary (that means you can only go to Apple for stuff) If you want to pay the extra price to say I am an Apple head go right ahead but for a tablet every bit as good and better (Beats Audio) Touchpad is the one!!!

jreddington

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jreddington

Got one of these in a "bundle" from Tiger Direct. After selling off a wifi speaker on eBay, net about $200.

Positives:

While glossy case shows finger prints, case has classy high end look. Purchasethe good quality OEM stand/case and you avoid the fingerprint issue.

Optional charging stand turns it into a nice alternative to a clock radio.

Very good quality sound (see above).

OS more stable than any other Android tablet I've tried.

High quality display.

Stadard micro USB for connection and charging.

Negatives:

No micro SD slot. So no expansion beyond the 32 GB.

No camera on back side.

Limited apps. Orphaned OS means little more going forward.

Ended up eBaying for about what I paid and puchased 32GB Lenovo K1 for $279. Miss the charging stand and have had to deal with "hangs" in OS but now have more apps and 64GB of memory.

HP seemed just one generation away from an iPad beating tablet. If they kept the positives and corrected the negatives above, and somhow made Web OS capable of running Android apps it would have been great instead of being on the clearace table.

mbfloyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbfloyd
andrewhime wrote:Get a Touchstone.

keep trying defferent outlets, HP very picky

ruffyy123

ruffyy123 wrote:Don't let this one slip out of the case. Let me tell you I've had mine for six months and nary an issue. Opening the box was an experience. Unwrapping the Touchpad and feeling it's heft in your hand makes you realise the quality built into this tablet. It just felt like quality in my hand. The WebOS operating system is simplicity itself. It is intuitive and non frustrating. I recently bought an Andriod phone and it's maddening compared to WebOS. There aren't as many apps availiable but the major ones are there. What are you expecting to do on a tablet? Skype works great on this tablet. I found out that the battery shaped recharger has an adaptable endcap. Make sure it's tightly screwed on. but other than that I am completely in love with my Touchpad. The downside is that there is no sd card slot but I can live with that. And for those who are purely Android heads there are custom roms out there and support for them. And to end it all I hate Apple products. They are over priced and are arrogantly proprietary (that means you can only go to Apple for stuff) If you want to pay the extra price to say I am an Apple head go right ahead but for a tablet every bit as good and better (Beats Audio) Touchpad is the one!!!

THE TABLET STILL GETS UPDATES TO WEBOS AND WILL RECIEVE UPDATES INTO THE FUTURE

ruffyy123

ruffyy123 wrote:THE TABLET STILL GETS UPDATES TO WEBOS AND WILL RECIEVE UPDATES INTO THE FUTURE

THE ONLY WAY THE CASING WILL CRACK IS IF YOU USE IT FOR A FRISBEE ITS A SOPHISTICATED ELECTRONIC DEVICE TREAT IT WITH RESPECT

ruffyy123

ruffyy123 wrote:THE ONLY WAY THE CASING WILL CRACK IS IF YOU USE IT FOR A FRISBEE ITS A SOPHISTICATED ELECTRONIC DEVICE TREAT IT WITH RESPECT

THE CHARGING TOUCHPAD STAND IS A MUST PURCHASE IT TURNS YOUR TOUCHPAD INTO A FINE PIECE OF FURNITURE AS A PHOTO FRAME OR CLOCK

kobold

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kobold

Can you watch Netflix on the HP Touchpad?

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
dandalyin wrote:Does this have an actual web browser? For example, can I get into google docs for spreadsheets? Thanks!

You know, my first reaction to this was, "what kind of question is that? Of course it has a browser!" I was sitting nicely in bed reading these comments on my TP using the standard webos browser. The tab is sitting comfortably in a folio/stand.

But then I browsed over to Google, went into my documents, and the HP promptly rebooted itself. This is rare behavior in my experience. A second attempt got me into a many-columned spreadsheet I had created on the computer, a long time ago. I could not see the columns to the far right -- there was a message saying I needed to re-size the screen. So, that's a quick look -- others may report more success.

edited to add that the doc wouldn't respond to my attempts to pinch it into a smaller size.

ruffyy123

Stop worrying about expandability to over 32 GB. You must remember that a more powerful processor or more memory equals more heat. When a processor has to work hard it produces heat. If you want a handwarmer then get the new iPad. There comes a time when you have to realise a devices limitations. Would you put a 700 HP engine in a Mini? 200 HP is pushing it and you could kill yourself. Just think about what you really want on your tablet and put things on there you will use. I have my pictures and 1500 songs on mine and lots of apps I don't use ever and I have 10 GB left.

aggieslaughter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aggieslaughter

I got one of these a few months back. Installed Android on it via the Cyanogenmod, which took about 10 minutes. Overall, great little tablet. If something doesn't wok in android, I can always boot back over to WebOS and use it there (front camera, skype, etc.).

rlapid2112

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rlapid2112
mollytim wrote:web os = NO workable map or gps system.
Will not even support Google Maps.

That is absolutely false. Built in map system & does routes; no turn-by-turn. It uses Bing maps.

Google maps works fine in the browser.

kmiller82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmiller82

I agree 100%. Mine started getting the stress cracks nearly right away. The best thing I found so far to help mediate the issue is I cut a piece of stick on vinyl and placed it over the entirety of the casing, at least I won't have random pieces falling off. The back casing is very poorly designed though between the soft glossy plastic and the propensity to crack. Other than that and the crackly speaker issue, I love the thing and am using it to type this post.

nekojan

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nekojan

To sum it all up, today Woot is overpriced !

ruffyy123

kobold wrote:Can you watch Netflix on the HP Touchpad?

No but they have the HP Movie Store which has a great selection of movies and television shows. Sky News for current International news, Tech TV, You Tube (great quality and sound)

nwagner56

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nwagner56

I recently picked up one of these. I also own an iPad 1 (passed on to my son) and my wife has a Kindle Fire. I have a Google phone (Nexus S) that I love so I was looking for a cheap Android tablet to play with. I will say this thing is a solid buy even for this price. The webOS update was a HUGE upgrade. I was almost regretting my purchase before I did the OS upgrade. It seemed to lag at times and the touch seemed inaccurate. Once I did the upgrade, those issues went away. I would say that if you have used a Touchpad in the past without updating the OS you may have a different opinion of it. This thing does great for web surfing, document(pdf)/book reading, integrated email and calendar, and a light selection of game apps. I think it is what most people are going to use it for. I can not stress enough how important (and simple) the webOS update (3.0.5) is though.

It also offers more if you are computer savvy and like to tinker. Overclocking is simple, stable and provides unbelievable performance boost. Dual booting to webOS and Android works great and isn't difficult to remove if you have issues (I did, but I am back). The Preware and Android development communities are putting out some pretty cool stuff. I think my favorite is a webOS app that just by running the app, makes the TouchPad show up as a shared folder to drag and drop files into.

I would recommend picking this up at this price if it is in your budget.

Mydnyte

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Mydnyte
pleiadeez7 wrote:Is this 4G compatible??

Yes, as long as you have a 4G mobile hotspot...

Natively? Not so much.

Over FOUR HUNDRED Woots and counting.....

touchywoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages touchywoot

Android on it makes it most useful. Useful links
http://mostlygadget.blogspot.com/2012/04/hp-touchpad-android-and-webos.html

pknackert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pknackert

I paid $150.00 for this from hp at the original close-out ... I'm sure the slip case is not worth $100.00.

SiliconJunkie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SiliconJunkie
ruffyy123 wrote:THE CHARGING TOUCHPAD STAND IS A MUST PURCHASE IT TURNS YOUR TOUCHPAD INTO A FINE PIECE OF FURNITURE AS A PHOTO FRAME OR CLOCK

Please, stop SHOUTING at everyone.