touchywoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages touchywoot
cameltoegeo wrote:You are able to load ICS on this touchpad??Where do you get it?

http://mostlygadget.blogspot.com/2012/04/hp-touchpad-android-and-webos.html

rampman10

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampman10
ShakeyBobWillis wrote:Because the original fire sale price was clearly too low as evidenced by the high volume of resales on those tablets purchased during the fire sale.

Not gonna pay 100 more for something that was on clearance 8 months ago for 60% less. I thought woot was a place for good deals, not 60% markups. If they were selling these at 149 they would probably be gone by now. On that we agree.

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1
kobold wrote:Can you watch Netflix on the HP Touchpad?

If you root it to android there's a free Netflx app. No Hulu either- I guess it worked on OS at first but they shut it out.

3eyore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 3eyore
prUsP69E wrote:Not true. I used to own the Touchpad. WebOS sucks big time because most Apps look amateurish compared to IOS / Android apps.

More importantly, the OS is really sloppy and often does not react to your touch. It was very very frustrating. More so, because my wife's iPad1 with its slower processor was a lot more responsive than the Touchpad.

Your comments are based on your experience with WebOS 3.0.5, right? 'Cause my experience is totally different from yours.

prUsP69E wrote:Bad deal. Especially since it needs to be rooted to install Android ... Security goes out the window. Buy it if you want a toy to play with. Do not use it for day to day banking / email stuff. Stay away.

I suppose it's a bad deal for you if you think it is. As I said, this is the best hardware out there right now at this price point.

And, by the way, HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

> The concept of "rooting" does NOT apply to the Touchpad!<

Rooting a device is required if its s/w configuration is locked down, which is NOT the case with the Touchpad. In its case, when you load ICS and the bootloader, you are simply adding a second OS, you are NOT side-stepping or defeating any sort of s/w configuration locks .

rampman10

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampman10
gusvonpooch wrote:I'm not an expert but I think it works this way. Woot sells an item based on what they had to pay for it, not on what HP was asking when they said they wanted to get out of that part of the business. If you know of a source to buy these at $149, grab them up and you'll make a very nice profit.

I am sure woot is making a nice profit on the tablets they are selling. A 60% markup is a nice profit. Too bad the margins in my industry are not so good. I am not the only person complaining. I might have even bought one for 199. This is a technology item. We all know how fast these become obsolete. Apple releases a new Iphone and Ipad about every year and you want customers to get excited about an 8 month old item sold at a 60% markup. I pass.

bombinspector

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bombinspector

Was disappointed when I heard HP was going to stop making them. Saw this and had to jump at it since it was new and not reburbished. Thanks WOOT for making my weekend!

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
widmer69 wrote:How often would you take a picture with a 10" tablet? The TP is more closely related to ipad 1, which didn't have a rear facing camera. Dual-core CPU n a gig o ram (unlike ipad 1, but just like ipad 2) make this a still high-end Android tablet.

I was passing through Times Square the other day (sounds like a Letterman joke already), I saw a tourist holding his iPad up in the air to take photos. Seemed kind of awkward, but maybe that's just me.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
pknackert wrote:I paid $150.00 for this from hp at the original close-out ... I'm sure the slip case is not worth $100.00.

You never know Woot may put $50 in each case.

InFrom

pknackert wrote:I paid $150.00 for this from hp at the original close-out ... I'm sure the slip case is not worth $100.00.

the thing is, as others have already pointed out, demand for these has stayed strong since the firesale. While it would be lovely to buy a new one of these for $149, that does not seem to be possible in the current market. So for those who like the specs of this tablet, there's no use looking wistfully back at the days when they were to be had for much less. If someone decides the value is sufficient at the current price, based on what's out there in the tablet market in April 2012, the fact that it used to be available for less is neither here nor there. IMO.

lisaviolet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lisaviolet

I got mine on the second round of refurbs earlier this year (remember that? they sold out, then found some and sold those?).

Our kitty Mystie plays games on it.

I did the ice cream sandwich mod, love it. I can watch Netflix and Amazon's VoD, hoping that my internet provider starts playing nicely with Epix.

I took it with me when I visited a friend on Friday, her husband liked it "what is this? Can I watch football on it?" Hopefully, soon...

DemonDeacons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DemonDeacons

I have a 32GB WiFi TouchPad and the OS is hands down better than any out there. I have an iPhone S, MacBook, iPod Touch, and Apple TV, not to mention 3 or 4 other generations of iPods. I am a huge Apple fan. However, Web OS runs circles around Apple's "multitasking" iOS on iPhone and iPad. Little things like notifications on screen to triage Facebook and email messages and the light notification when the screen is not powered on that will indicate a missed call, e-mail, text message etc. The TouchPad also pairs with your Bluetooth devices, to include your phone, so I make and receive calls from it all the time- phone's in the next room, but I'm reading on the touchpad and take the call. Pretty awesome.
While the plastic hardware leaves alot to be desired- cracking around speaker grills as some have reported and its 1st generation iPad-like weight, the OS is far superior to any out there and is what you should be buying a slate computer for anyway. Totally a deal at $250!

Mascott106

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mascott106
DemonDeacons wrote:I have a 32GB WiFi TouchPad and the OS is hands down better than any out there. I have an iPhone S, MacBook, iPod Touch, and Apple TV, not to mention 3 or 4 other generations of iPods. I am a huge Apple fan. However, Web OS runs circles around Apple's "multitasking" iOS on iPhone and iPad...

...the OS is far superior to any out there and is what you should be buying a slate computer for anyway.

...what about Android?

I actually got a Touchpad in January in a Woot. The day I got it I put Android 2.3 on there and it was a terrible experience, so I went back to WebOS. It was a FAR better experience than what I was getting on the Android side.

HOWEVER!

About two weeks ago I put Ice Cream Sandwich on there, and I haven't booted back into WebOS since.

A lot of TP WebOS users are being left in the dust right now because of the hands off approach HP is taking with WebOS and its store. If you've got a hunger for apps, installing Android is a must. When OpenWebOS comes out later in the year it'll be worth a revisit to see what the community will do.

Sarisin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sarisin

I got my TP 32gb from onsale's re-offering. I had been using the gtab (purchased from woot) and what a step up. However, I was unable to update WebOS no matter what I tried including reading countless posts on the fora and writing in describing my problem.

So, I did something I swore I would never do - bought an Apple product. I got the iPad 2 and have been using it ever since. In fact, I even bought an iPod Touch (from woot) and a Nano. Apple really won me over and I was willing to try any product but Apple.

However, in reading through this massive thread, I am willing to give my HP another try and put CM9 on it as the update of WebOS seems to be unattainable.

mross22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mross22
ruffyy123 wrote:THE CHARGING TOUCHPAD STAND IS A MUST PURCHASE IT TURNS YOUR TOUCHPAD INTO A FINE PIECE OF FURNITURE AS A PHOTO FRAME OR CLOCK

please. stop. shouting.

lady1dk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lady1dk

When can I expect delivery? I am super hyped to have found this incredible deal!

InFrom

lisaviolet wrote:I got mine on the second round of refurbs earlier this year (remember that? they sold out, then found some and sold those?).

Our kitty Mystie plays games on it.

that is hilarious! I especially liked when she paused for an emergency grooming break. Is she a new kitty? I remember you had just lost one on the sale day back in Jan.

tenmagic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenmagic
RRC2000 wrote:Correct. I bought one then. Good tablet, but I wouldn't pay $250 now for the same exact product. I hear they do have stable versions of android available for it now, but I'm not sure if that includes the latest android, ICS.
I still keep the stock WebOS On it, and it's a good tablet for web surfing, but the selection of apps pails in comparison to android or iOS. At $250, I'd rather go out and buy a refurb honeycomb android tablet that will be upgraded to ICS. ...

I am running ICS 4.0.4 on my 16gb touchpad; and it is AWESOME!! I have a dual-boot setup so I can boot into either webOS or Android at anytime. I'm not very tech savvy, but both the webOS and Android communities are very supportive. It took less than a half hour to follow the online step-by-step tutorials to install everything. I couldn't be happier.

aceteacher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceteacher

I own this item, for close to 2 years.
This is a terrible item. Useless. HP offers no support for it. The operating system is compatible with, well...nothing. It doesn't do anything and what it DOES do, it does very slowly. File compatibility is a big problem, you can't open anything on it. Not a Word doc, not a PDF, and most video files, You Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... this item. BTW - I own one.

lisaviolet

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lisaviolet
InFrom wrote:that is hilarious! I especially liked when she paused for an emergency grooming break. Is she a new kitty? I remember you had just lost one on the sale day back in Jan.

That was the day we lost Benny.

She loves the TP. Whenever she sees me holding it, she jumps on the coffee table, waiting for her turn.

She's not a new kitty, she's been here since she was a little kitten, grabbed from the wild, back in August 2000.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
rampman10 wrote:I am sure woot is making a nice profit on the tablets they are selling. A 60% markup is a nice profit. Too bad the margins in my industry are not so good. I am not the only person complaining. I might have even bought one for 199. This is a technology item. We all know how fast these become obsolete. Apple releases a new Iphone and Ipad about every year and you want customers to get excited about an 8 month old item sold at a 60% markup. I pass.

You obviously have an inside track on what Woot pays for items they put up for sale. Can you please tell us how you know and the exact price Woot paid. Thanks a lot.

Mikedwilson63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mikedwilson63

I bought one of the refurbs a few months ago. I could never get it to recognize any wireless networks, which is the first step in setting it up. After several attempts at trying to get it to work (even after using HP's tech support), I finally sent it back to Woot. In fact, I just got my money back on Friday.

Despite all that, I'm in for one today. From reading the comments from before, it seemed that most people had no problems, but a handful of people just got bad ones. This one will be new, and I'm confident it will work this time.

wyreless

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wyreless
pupyluvr wrote:Drop another hundred smackers on the fire sale and you've got yourself A refurb iPad Deuce with a 1 year apple warranty.

For that matter Microcenter has New IPAD 2s at $359. This would have had me 3-4 months ago. I guess I want killer deals only after getting my ThinkPad yesterday at $499. Still stoked about that deal!!!

"Living For The DEAL!!"

mctom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mctom
kobold wrote:Can you watch Netflix on the HP Touchpad?

Yes, if you install Android on it.

qjuantum

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qjuantum
maldito wrote:Will i be able to use this as an e-reader for .pdf files?

Also, would i be able to use this outside, or would there be a considerable amount of glare from the sun while reading?

Hola, I bought a couple of Antiglare screen protectors and was not satisfied, they did not compare to the one I had on my iPhone, I finally found one a bit more pricy than the previous ones I bought and I am very satisfied with it. I got a BodyGuardz HD antiglare protector. I found that if I am outdoors, I havce to put the brightness a little more than usual, the antiglare screen protector helps a TON.
Hope this helps

dgdillman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgdillman
rampman10 wrote:How is a $100 increase on an obsolete item a good deal? How is mentioning it whining? Now I definitely won't be buying one. Thanks for letting me keep my money this time.

It's a good deal if you decide it will do what you want for that amount of money. If you don't like it, then don't buy. Simple. Whining about it is just petty and makes you look like a 3 year old. Do you do this at every store you go to that has stuff on sale, and then later has higher regular pricing?

That said, I've just decided that this machine with these specs at this price are still worth it, for me.

cherman1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cherman1

Agreed - If HP cleared them out at $150.00 - It is UNWOOTISTIC to charge $249 when you add a $20 case

Mikedwilson63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mikedwilson63
smacasek wrote:How does this stack up to the Vizio Tablet that can be purchased at Costco for 189.00?

I can't really compare the two, but I bought a Vizio tablet last year from Woot, and I think it's a nice little tablet. It's not an iPad (what else is?) but it's nice.

I got a steal on a Kindle Fire a few weeks ago for $139 and I would compare the Vizio tablet more to it. They're both Android-based tablets, but I like the Vizio better. It has a bigger screen (8" vs. 7") and the screen is more square so it seems much bigger and much more readable.

One thing I like about the Vizio is that it has an app that can control your TV's and other electronic devices so it's basically like a smart remote. I happen to have Vizio TV's but it can control any kind.

You should watch out for them on Woot. They were selling them again just last week. I think I paid $150 for mine.

InFrom

BTW, don't know if it's considered bad form to tout one's own deals.woot deals here on regular woot, but I did post a Touchstone charger deal ($40, the best I found at the time), as well as a HP bundle on ebay for $79+ $8 shipping that includes the Touchstone, a cover, and hmm, what was the third thing? As of two days ago these were both still active sales.

oh, the 3rd thing is a BT keyboard, IIRC.

Geethatsgr8

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Geethatsgr8

I love my touchpad, with the exception of two things. First, I had to return the original one I bought due to a crack near one speaker, and it was replaced by a refurbished unit. However, my main gripe now is that I'm constantly having to reboot the thing because the speakers keep screwing up. They'll be fine one minute, then suddenly sound full of static. I was listening to Pandora yesterday and everything was fine for about 5 songs, then the speakers crapped out again. I hate having to constantly reboot while I'm watching YouTube videos or playing games, etc. It's so inconvenient.

bruisedquasar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bruisedquasar
dliidlii wrote:$250 would have been a great deal 6 months ago but not now. New tablets coming out very soon will have better features for same price.

"Suppliers have suggested the Nexus tablet might appear as early as May."

Touchpad is available now and has a clear track record. You speak of pie in the sky and BS corporate hype and spin. At Jan CES Asus said $249 quad core, fantastic display & specs. Google has already taken it over and it is now dual core (and falling?), specs reduced and still no tablet. HP Touchpad is real. Dual core, excellent dispay, quality buid and enthusiast community took to it right away. Its also 9.7". Tablets you mention are 7".

Want a advanced, really low priced quaity Android 4.03 7" NOW? Get Chinese Ainol Novo Elf or Aurora.

deibs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages deibs
mross22 wrote:please. stop. shouting.

please stop nagging about shouting....it's so passe.....what are you, an 80's caps lock cop reminding us of net manners from back in the day? you just wasted precious bandwidth. and i'm just adding to the problem wagging my finger at you.....

willjammer

bruisedquasar

rampman10 wrote:Not gonna pay 100 more for something that was on clearance 8 months ago for 60% less. I thought woot was a place for good deals, not 60% markups. If they were selling these at 149 they would probably be gone by now. On that we agree.

What? Try getting a used one for less than $250 after that two day firesale? Pie in the sky thinking like those waiting for a $200 super 7" tablet this summer.

smacasek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smacasek
Mikedwilson63 wrote:I can't really compare the two, but I bought a Vizio tablet last year from Woot, and I think it's a nice little tablet. It's not an iPad (what else is?) but it's nice.

I got a steal on a Kindle Fire a few weeks ago for $139 and I would compare the Vizio tablet more to it. They're both Android-based tablets, but I like the Vizio better. It has a bigger screen (8" vs. 7") and the screen is more square so it seems much bigger and much more readable.

One thing I like about the Vizio is that it has an app that can control your TV's and other electronic devices so it's basically like a smart remote. I happen to have Vizio TV's but it can control any kind.

You should watch out for them on Woot. They were selling them again just last week. I think I paid $150 for mine.

Thanks Mike, I did see the deal last week but I think that getting a new one as opposed as a refurbished was well worth the price difference...

bruisedquasar

axphw1 wrote:If you root it to android there's a free Netflx app. No Hulu either- I guess it worked on OS at first but they shut it out.

Netflix App & Netflix Movies work very well. Hulu blocks all apps. They seek to force Hulu Plus on everyone for same price as vastly superior totally ad free Netflix

oasis56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oasis56
aceteacher wrote:I own this item, for close to 2 years.
This is a terrible item. Useless. HP offers no support for it. The operating system is compatible with, well...nothing. It doesn't do anything and what it DOES do, it does very slowly. File compatibility is a big problem, you can't open anything on it. Not a Word doc, not a PDF, and most video files, You Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... this item. BTW - I own one.

How did you get this over a year before it launched? I am not surprised if at that time it did not do any of those things let alone power on.

Funny post though!

bruisedquasar

telepathboy wrote:Oh man.. trigger... so... tempting. Do I really need another one? Mine's only 16 GB though...

Really worth it if you port Android 4 to it in dual boot method. There are some excellent people who do it for you @ eBay for a decent price.

xanbo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xanbo
ruffyy123 wrote:No but they have the HP Movie Store which has a great selection of movies and television shows. Sky News for current International news, Tech TV, You Tube (great quality and sound)

You can stream Netflix with the latest Cyanogen mod of Ice Cream sandwich. I have been using it for several weeks on the refurbed 32GB I got on woot a while back and it is awesome, great tablet for this price.

bruisedquasar

ja2038 wrote:I am really enjoying mine, I picked it up at Best Buy 2 weeks ago on the returns/overstock table for $129.

Put ICS / CM 9 Alpha 2 on it, and it works great as a netflix device.

But in CM 9, the camera does not yet work, nor does the microphone, and well, I think it's terrific for $129, but overpriced at $249.

You ported ICS just for netflix? The Touchpad does Netflix very well with a free app without Android. BTW, the mic isn't much good anyway. Many owners do not know this because they never used their mic. Many of the mics are defective & do not work at all. Fortunately, the headphone port works very well with headsets.

bkOAiuXk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkOAiuXk
Wholesaleforless wrote:Isn't this the same model that HP and Sam's were selling for $150 when it was discontinued?

Yes, but it was $99 until the demand went up.

tamtammy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamtammy
jmignemi wrote:I'm considering a kindle fire-mainly interested in reading, but wanted to be able to access the internet periodically. Now I saw this-people who have one/know them-any thoughts? What's my best bet? Thanks!

My Kindle 3 died a few weeks ago, Amazon said it wasn't repairable and didn't I want to buy a Fire, and while I was dithering I started reading my books on my HP. Love it, will *not* be replacing my Kindle. The HP Kindle app is entirely satisfactory, the font is very readable, and the screen size makes a huge difference in comfortable reading. Big bonus: read in bed without infuriating your mate. PLUS swell email app, good browsing, stunning screen, etc. In short: better than a Kindle: better reading and more versatile.