4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Roku XD 1080p Streaming Player
$49.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

lichme

quality posts: 2761 Private Messages lichme

Channel List
Previous Woot]

[Thunderthighs: Previous woot is a different model]

**Corrected

salwei

quality posts: 3 Private Messages salwei

Would this look good on my 720p TV or not really because its 1080p?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I have said it before, I'll say it again. This thing can be a life saver if you're going on vacation to a place that has wifi. No more In-room movies for 10 dollars.

Not too keen on the baseball restrictions though, I don't know if they let up on them a little bit this year.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I've bought two for my parents and they love them. Netflix is one of their little joys and my dad loves blaring Pandora on their TV. And on another note, my parents aren't very tech savvy and were easily able to set them up.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

bruceoite

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bruceoite

I have been looking to grab a Roku for awhile now. This version is going for over $30 more on Amazon for a new unit. http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XD-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B00426C56U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334725306&sr=8-2

I thinK I will try out this woot!

elvestinkle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages elvestinkle

NFLBlitze1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NFLBlitze1

i would say this is a poor deal from woot right now, this is the old Roku model, the newer models go for a little more and would be a more worthy investment.

jennsplace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jennsplace
salwei wrote:Would this look good on my 720p TV or not really because its 1080p?

I used this on my 720p TV and it looked just fine.

I bought a new (refurb) one today because I lent my Roku to my dad and can't seem to get it back!

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

What are the little blue Roku tab things hanging off the box and the remote? Are they fabric tags like on the back of clothing? Are they plastic tabs? Are they removable?

The one on the remote in particular looks like it would get in the way of use.

-=C=-

TheWren

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TheWren
lichme wrote:Channel List
Previous Woot

[Thunderthighs: Previous woot is a different model]

Here's the previous woot for the current offering.

lalaclassic

quality posts: 51 Private Messages lalaclassic

Is the little blue tag with "ROFU" on it supposed to stay on it? It looks like one of those tags that you have to pull on a product to make something work. I'm afraid my kids would tug on it and break it off. Is it important?

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

phenyx876

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phenyx876
curtise wrote:What are the little blue Roku tab things hanging off the box and the remote? Are they fabric tags like on the back of clothing? Are they plastic tabs? Are they removable?

-=C=-

Tabs...yes...no...no...and how exactly do you hold your remote? lol. It doesn't get in the way of use at all, unless of course it makes you hold the remote backwards because you are mesmerized by the pretty purple fabric tag...

woodedward

quality posts: 1 Private Messages woodedward

Don't do it.

Have exact one and it works, but it is buggy to setup. It is very picky about WIFI key specs, band, ect.

If you do order one of these two things worked for me.
1-Key is less then 32 characters long.
2-B worked better than G.

musictom88

quality posts: 2 Private Messages musictom88

I bought this the last time it came up on Woot. I've been completely happy with it.

The Roku2 HD is $78.00 on Amazon, but other than one more button on the remote, and the need to purchase a separate cable if you're installing on a non-HD system (vacation, hotel, etc.), the specs seem identical.

Highly recommended!

robio

quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio

This isn't a particularly great deal, but its 1080p for $30 less than the current generation. If you have a TV that's more than a few years old, this is the model you want. The newer ones don't have composite video out.

woodedward

quality posts: 1 Private Messages woodedward
woodedward wrote:Don't do it.

Have exact one and it works, but it is buggy to setup. It is very picky about WIFI key specs, band, ect.

1-Key is less then 23 characters long.

pstrnutbag44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pstrnutbag44

FWIW....BIG Roku fan...got 3 of mine here...helped me ditch Comcast and I couldn't have been happier. Everything you need is available there and CHEAP!

elvestinkle

If I had an HDTV I'd consider upgrading from my old Roku HD (model N1100), acquired for $60 a couple years ago. (In point of fact, my very first woot! ::tear of nostalgia: But mine does 720p, and I don't think I'll care all that much about the picture to need 1080p unless, like, I actually get a 40" HDTV or something.

If I didn't have any Roku, I'd be on this like a facehugger on crewman Kane.

marklwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marklwood

I was wondering if the remote is IR or RF. I would like to just attach it to the back of the TV to keep the clean look.

robio

quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio
woodedward wrote:Don't do it.

1-Key is less then 32 characters long.

I have this exact one, and the only problem I've ever had is that it's occasionally slow to respond to the remote. A reboot has fixed the problem each of the 3 times it's happened over the last 5 months.

Otherwise, this thing is the cat's pajamas.

/do wish there was a YouTube channel tho.

curtise

phenyx876 wrote:Tabs...yes...no...no...and how exactly do you hold your remote? lol. It doesn't get in the way of use at all, unless of course it makes you hold the remote backwards because you are mesmerized by the pretty purple fabric tag...

Thanks for the details, phenyx!!

Also... Ooooo I love purple! What is this button marked ɹǝʍod for?

-=C=-

broderya

quality posts: 17 Private Messages broderya

been really pleased with Roku ... easy to use the channel store and very intuitive for a shortcut vs going thru my Tivo for things like Amazon VOD, pandora, etc.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

curtise wrote:What are the little blue Roku tab things hanging off the box and the remote? Are they fabric tags like on the back of clothing? Are they plastic tabs? Are they removable?

-=C=-

You mean the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag? Just kidding. It's their "thing" they put on their boxes and remotes. Cloth. Never tried to remove it.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

So how does this compare to the IOGear kit over on deals.woot.com/sellout on the JustDeals site?

They look comparable, so which is better?

elvestinkle

A nice selection of useful channels for your shiny new toy is over at Nowhere TV.

robio wrote:/do wish there was a YouTube channel though.

Also, some YouTube channel info. I put the old YouTube channel on my Roku when I first got it, and it still works, but I don't know why. I'm just grateful, because I had no idea it went away.

pleasekopimi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pleasekopimi

The remote is IR. I was able to pick one of these up during the last woot-off.

Great product. My only issue was a dead remote after about a week. Roku sent me a replacement no problem though!

Stilton

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Stilton

I got one of these in a previous WOOT! and love it. One good thing about this older model is that it has an Ethernet port. Wireless signal in my home basically stinks, but I was able to attach an Ethernet cable and haven't looked back since. Dead easy to set up, too!

curtise

ThunderThighs wrote:You mean the "Do not remove under penalty of law" tag? Just kidding. It's their "thing" they put on their boxes and remotes. Cloth. Never tried to remove it.

Thanks TT!

I couldn't tell the 'softness' of the tags from the picture - they looked like they could have been hard plastic tags. I like the idea of a fabric tag, I love purple, and I think it would be funny if they had washing symbols on them (do not wash, do not tumble dry, do not iron).

-=C=-

Dianrez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dianrez

This is for people interested in closed captions. I bought this Roku at Wal-Mart last fall and tried it on a new Vizio TV. It installed easily (provided you know the password to your router.) It pulls in Vudu, Hulu, Netflix, TED, and a great number of other video services beautifully.

However, I took it back for a refund. Most of these services do not provide closed captions, which is a prerequisite for me. Very few CC programs were available, mostly TED. It does not stream ABC, NBC or CBS TV series episodes at all, which have captions.

It depends on the source whether or not you can get captions, and is not the fault of the Roku device. At this time the availability of streaming CC isn't worth buying the Roku.

TacticalChunder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TacticalChunder

The box may be 1080p but this can be misleading if you're primarily planning on using this as a Netflix device. The older generation one boxes (not Roku 2) don't get 1080p output from the Netflix channel - and Amazon doesn't support 1080p either. Found this out the hard way on my XDS.

djenkins1982

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djenkins1982

Can you program the Roku remote to turn off your tv or do you have to use two remotes?

spiras

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spiras

Im telling you, buy this. I own one and it is the best thing ever. Get the channel Playon (google it). Then add the plugin tvlinks. (Google it).
With tvlinks, you can cancel your cable tv because you can watch any episode of any tv show ever. Like movies? Take your pick. There are so many channels that arent even listed. The sky is the limit. Trust me. I havent slept since i got mine. Ok thats all for now. Back to watching tv.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

djenkins1982 wrote:Can you program the Roku remote to turn off your tv or do you have to use two remotes?

The Roku remote is very simple and dedicated. It's really more like a mouse to maneuver the selections and menus.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

vintagesales87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vintagesales87

Bought one last time it was up here. It's great but has plenty of issues. I would recommend going with a newer model. The USB channel interface is horrible. Don't buy it if that's what your looking for. Hulu plus freezes and right now the netflix app is down.

turbobuick86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages turbobuick86

Roku is the best little streaming box out there. Wish this had come up last week before I ordered my 2nd XS model from Amazon for $89!

Highly recommend!

sethrachelson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sethrachelson

I love my roku!! No cable bill. Just Hulu plus for $8 a month. But there are lots of free channels too and live news and u can watch CNN reports from the night before or independent movies or etc etc. but with Hulu plus I follow lots of tv shows. This roku remote is better than the other one I have. Think of roku as ur TiVo but with some commercials and no planning required and I limited memory!!

hann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hann

mmm would this work anywhere in the world as long as i've an internet connection?

or would it trace where i'm tapping the signal from?