Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Until the 1980s, the main way for a musical act to present any kind of visual element to their audience was through album covers, an art that finally came into its own in the '70s. But then came MTV, and suddenly every band had to give as much thought to their visual aesthetic as to their sound. Looking at them now, '80s videos are always naive, often scattershot, sometimes tedious. But the trackless wilderness of this new form encouraged all kinds of goofy experimentation, and produced some memorable images. Can you identify these mini-masterpieces from the dawn of the pop-video age?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments, below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

milw123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages milw123

1. Dunno
2. Cars-You Might Think
3. Madness-Our House
4. Dunno
5. Clash-Rock the Casbah
6. Dunno
7. Run DMC-Walk This Way
8. J Geils Band-Angel Is A Centerfold

Cornuto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cornuto

1 - Poison - Nothin' But A Good Time

4 - No idea over here either...

6 - Cameo - The Word (What's The Word) (BONUS: Watch for cop who gets lost to the groove at 3:20 on the video)

hammurabi1337

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hammurabi1337

see below

hammurabi1337

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hammurabi1337

4 is Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley.

That was quick.

phizzo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages phizzo
Cornuto wrote:1 - Poison - Nothin' But A Good Time

4 - No idea over here either...

6 - Cameo - The Word (What's The Word) (BONUS: Watch for cop who gets lost to the groove at 3:20 on the video)

It's actually Word Up! by Cameo. The video also features Levar Burton.

jgribb1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgribb1

See! I told my parents I needed my MTV so I could one day be able to communicate with others in my same age bracket!

I want my Baby Back ribs!!!!!

sundy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sundy89

The world is changing.But the music videos are still famous.

hcsencsi

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hcsencsi

The only one that I could immediately get was #3, not enough British invasion videos for my aromatic memory.

Booger Face

AnniKat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AnniKat

None of these compare to my fav, Dire Straits & Money for Nothing. The only problem is, that video, and that song, was SO emblematic that it's sort of a cliche these days.

And then it got banned briefly in Canada 25 years after it's big run.! Who knew?

I've seen Mark Knopfler concerts live in the last few years; he always plays this, but he changes it around a lot sometimes.

/\~/\- ))
>'x'< (( AnniKat
/ - \ _))

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder

Missionary Man by The Eurythmics has always been my fave.

There are a couple of Dubstep videos that are interesting.

phizzo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages phizzo
AnniKat wrote:None of these compare to my fav, Dire Straits & Money for Nothing. The only problem is, that video, and that song, was SO emblematic that it's sort of a cliche these days.

And then it got banned briefly in Canada 25 years after it's big run.! Who knew?

I've seen Mark Knopfler concerts live in the last few years; he always plays this, but he changes it around a lot sometimes.

I second the love for Money for Nothing. It's my favorite 80's video as well and I work third shift and watch VH1 classic at least 2 hours a day. MK is someone I want to see live before I die.

hefty244

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hefty244

I missed 1 and 4 (no rick-rolling me).

Duran Duran had my fave videos though...Rio and Boys on Film especially.

LukeDuff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LukeDuff

I only missed #1 because I stopped watching MTV when it turned all hair metal bands.

80s music ended in 1987.

BC4L!

DrHardcrab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrHardcrab
phizzo wrote:I second the love for Money for Nothing. It's my favorite 80's video as well and I work third shift and watch VH1 classic at least 2 hours a day. MK is someone I want to see live before I die.

This MK video will give you chills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVVZPefbR4

Derekl999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Derekl999

Loking at this, I only missed one.

On another note, was the creator of this quiz from Boston? Aerosmith, The Cars, and J. Geils Band all hailed from the area.

To paraphrase Wayne's World, if you were from Massachusetts, you were issued a copy of "Aerosmith's Greatest Hits" with the red cover in kindergarden.