Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

When you're riding the subway in a strange town, you just need to know which line will take you to which station. Further detail is just a distraction. So metro route maps around the world have evolved into clear, simple diagrams, where the messy crags and bulges of geography are reduced to rational angles and clean lines. But their heritage shows in their station names, their design sense, their alphabets. Can you see the city behind the diagram?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments, below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

codex

quality posts: 9 Private Messages codex

I've ridden on three of them. Coincidentally, those are the only three I got right. Odd, innit?

My work here is done. Pedant-man, AWAAYYY!!!

venezuelanwiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages venezuelanwiz

My Guesses:
1.- Chicago
2.- Barcelona
3.- Shanghai
4.- Rio
5.- Montreal
6.- Boston
7.-
8.- Oslo

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

3 is Hong Kong
7 is Dallas.

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

#1 is pretty obvious if you've been to any sort of trade show there.

I once met Miss Yvonne from Pee-wee's Playhouse at McCormick Place during CES. And King Kong Bundy, and Harry Anderson. Anderson was introducing the Sega Genesis (yes, I am old), and Lynn Stewart was working the Casio booth.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser
codex wrote:I've ridden on three of them. Coincidentally, those are the only three I got right. Odd, innit?

Same here (Chicago, Boston, Montreal)

glibdud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages glibdud

#1 was the only one I actually knew. Also guessed right on 3, 4 and 8.

jtelson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtelson

1. Chicago
2. Barcelona
3. Hong Kong
4. Rio
5. Montreal
6. Boston
7. Minneapolis(?)
8. Stockholm

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 131 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

#7 is easy if you are familiar with Dallas at all as that is pretty much the entire DART rail system.

timothynohe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timothynohe

#7 is Dallas, absolutely. Southwwest Medical Center/Parkland. Where JFK was pronounced.

AnniKat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AnniKat

I got 1 Chicago,4 Rio,6 Boston,and 7 Dallas.

Boston is the only one I'm *sure* I've ridden,
although I took a commuter train from somewhere downtown in Chicago to Lake Forest to visit my cousin. Notable because the Monday thru Friday I was in Chicago, the temperature only got UP to Zero (0) Friday mid-afternoon while I was headed to the airport! Brrr!

/\~/\- ))
>'x'< (( AnniKat
/ - \ _))