tatttoochick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tatttoochick

This same memory stick is sold at Walmart for 55.00. There is a little savings, but it looks like it's not one of the higher end brand names. good deal, but after tax and shipping I think it would just be easier to drive to Walmart and buy one...

Kevin11

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Kevin11
Lukeonia1 wrote:That would cost 6¢ extra per drive, and 1.8m was the largest washing machine the designers could find anyway.

you read my mind!

geekwench

quality posts: 10 Private Messages geekwench
bbrener wrote:Actually $40 on Amazon and it has 60% 1 star rating!
Caveat emptor.

Actually, this is the link to this model on Amazon. The other poster's pricing was correct, and this model has a four-star review overall. Also, two of the three one-star reviews appear to be from people who don't understand how to use it with both Mac and Windows systems. The third one-star review complains about the speed, which has already been covered fairly well here. At $0.50/GB, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

ATMA

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ATMA

Now if I could just make my laptop waterproof...

MaddMatt66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaddMatt66

Figures, I just bought a 32g flash drive last year for the same price.

I knew when I bought my first 32mb (yes, that's megabyte) flash drive that it would spell the end of the floppy disks and zip disks forever!

If I remember right, I paid about $60.00 for the 32mb back in 2000. How the times have changed.

Madness takes its toll; please have exact change.

rhinoceros1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rhinoceros1
MaddMatt66 wrote:Figures, I just bought a 32g flash drive last year for the same price.

I knew when I bought my first 32mb (yes, that's megabyte) flash drive that it would spell the end of the floppy disks and zip disks forever!

If I remember right, I paid about $60.00 for the 32mb back in 2000. How the times have changed.

In 2000 you could get a 9gb maxtor for $60.

John1000

quality posts: 18 Private Messages John1000

Comes down to if you can use 64 GB of storage and if the drive is reliable - reliability being the most important. I can assure you that if you buy this today, it will be considered obsolete in the very near future. But who cares? Again, it is reliable over time. If you can store you precious photos, etc. on this thing and retrieve them later, then that's what you are paying for. The discussion about read/write speed, performance, etc. - well, just don't dwell on that for a second. Everything I have is USB 2.0 at this point, so I'm not going to give that up anytime soon. Sure, faster would be better, but legacy products will serve a purpose and will for a long, long time. Of course, I'm assuming that 2.0 will be supported for some time as it should be. Hey, I can still boot my desktop from a floppy, even today.

jgnmd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgnmd

Speed explains the difference of price for an SSD.

barbercb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barbercb

Pyramid, Jungle, Lost City!!! Say it with me.
Crazy how the curtain understands spanish.

smittypap

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smittypap
bigmurali wrote:I remember back in 1996 buying a 250MB hard-drive for $175 and was happy I got an "awesome deal"

I remember back in 1982 NOT buying a 5MB Apple ProFile drive for my IIe because it retailed for $3,499.

Crap

Tweakerz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tweakerz

Got my mom this same 64GB Centon here or another deal type site several months ago and setup her Acer Tablet up with it for videos she wished to view, works great every time so it will in fact work with the Iconia.

timtampa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timtampa
cowboyesfan wrote:Its times like these that I am sad that my iPad not have a USB slot.

Well, that's what you get for buying an iPad lol. My Toshiba Thrive has a built-in USB drive and SD card reader, not to mention a full size HDMI and user replaceable battery.

Though, if you must use an iPad, you can spend $3 for USB and SD card reader functionality from this guy on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/5-1-Card-Reader-iPad/dp/B004HT6TS2

ATMA

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ATMA

So this 64gb Jump Drive will work with the Iconia? I have the A500 and am wondering if it will read this deal?

Tweakerz wrote:Got my mom this same 64GB Centon here or another deal type site several months ago and setup her Acer Tablet up with it for videos she wished to view, works great every time so it will in fact work with the Iconia.

ledieu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ledieu
stopher2475 wrote:So if a 64 gb flash drive 30 bucks can someone explain how a 128 gb SSD typically goes for over 125? I don't expect it to be exactly linear but come on.

A SSD has a higher read/write ability than a flash drive. It is bottle necked by USB in comparison to SATA as well as the actual speed of the memory. RAM is solid state memory as well and look at how much it costs for a single gigabyte of really fast RAM.

mjritter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjritter

My brother once sold a monochrome computer with two 5.25 floppy's and 8mb hard drive for almost 5 grand! And the OS was TRSDOS (Tandy radio shack). Now 64GB flash drive CHEAP!

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
CraigSam wrote:I'd buy this if it was USB 3.0...

Do you know how much it would be if it were 3.0? Get over it, it a good deal and can hold allot of data for the buck. Whiners!

michaels1715

quality posts: 9 Private Messages michaels1715

Here is a YouTube video about it. The comments are more helpful than the video though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHg4npoQX0E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

smtrader

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smtrader

My thoughts exactly!! I've lost caps many times before and want something that's attached.

evilmicah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilmicah

in for 3

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1062 Private Messages whatsamattaU
grimskull89 wrote:That one is a different model than this one being sold tonight.

Inless someone over at Woot! made a typo?

sorry, my screwup. I shouldn't be rushing so much. sorry about that.

tljx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tljx

3MB/s? Surely that's a typo. That's barely faster than my home internet speed (and about 600% slower than my network file transfer speed). I could almost download a file as fast as this thing can write one lol.

bartsimpson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bartsimpson

• AMZN’s product description page has an OEM product packaging image showing Centon Electronics as offering a 2-year warranty for this product.

• Woot’s product description states that Centon offers a lifetime warranty for this product.

Could we trouble Woot to do a quick double-check on the warranty length?

Thank you in advance.

————

Update:
Centon’s site is now responsive. It appears the product image on AMZN’s site may be outdated. Centon’s site’s product packaging image backs Woot’s description that the warranty is lifetime.

necbone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages necbone

I'm in for 2. I got 2 32gb centron thumbdrives last year or the year before, both still work well.

imtigger2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages imtigger2

BETTER IDEA: Use two free SkyDrive accts (or other cloud services), 50Gigs in the cloud. Yes, it's slow to access and upload to... however.. no cost. Even if you paid $25 per year, (equal to buying a cheap USB key that may break or get lost in a year) you'd get:

- 50Gigs you could access from any mobile device without a USB port
- You'd never lose the cap, or the drive
- Stream your music collection (or use Google Play for your entire collection)
- Have those critical programs or warez iso's with NFO docs with you when you need them
- share data without having to share the USB key

Cloud storage can be more useful than a key thrown in a bag or drawer. Just combine Gdrive, Skydrive, dropbox, box.net, etc and you'll start piling up the free storage. Just my opinion of course.

gobears99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gobears99

Reliability is key and am unsure about Centons.

stevieboy628p

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stevieboy628p

Somewhere in here there is a very good point.

imtigger2 wrote:BETTER IDEA: Use two free SkyDrive accts (or other cloud services), 50Gigs in the cloud. Yes, it's slow to access and upload to... however.. no cost. Even if you paid $25 per year, (equal to buying a cheap USB key that may break or get lost in a year) you'd get:

- 50Gigs you could access from any mobile device without a USB port
- You'd never lose the cap, or the drive
- Stream your music collection (or use Google Play for your entire collection)
- Have those critical programs or warez iso's with NFO docs with you when you need them
- share data without having to share the USB key

Cloud storage can be more useful than a key thrown in a bag or drawer. Just combine Gdrive, Skydrive, dropbox, box.net, etc and you'll start piling up the free storage. Just my opinion of course.

skebenin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skebenin
stopher2475 wrote:So if a 64 gb flash drive 30 bucks can someone explain how a 128 gb SSD typically goes for over 125? I don't expect it to be exactly linear but come on.

A few reasons.

The controller.
Controllers in most thumb drives are designed to be as cheap as possible. Controllers in SSDs are quite powerful and much more costly.

Flash quality.
SSDs use higher quality flash memory. [Probably a minor point though - I suspect SSD flash is only slightly more costly.]

Flash channels.
SSDs have 8 or more channels of flash memory, which means 8 or more individual flash chips rather than the one or two chips in a thumb drive. Multiple chips = multiple expense.

htl2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages htl2001

For those talking about usb bottlenecks, 20MB/s or a bit faster is what a decent external will do on usb 2. If this was usb 3 it wouldn't be any faster, its the flash chips themselves that are slow

Spectral

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Spectral

SSDs use SATA connectors, are generally much faster, support the TRIM command, have internal wear leveling, and are ideal for use as the OS boot drive.

USB sticks are portable, make carrying around your files very convenient, but they are not in the same league as SSDs.

eklebau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eklebau

I did not know what a HD was. I was just happy to have a double floppy and boot from disk. Radio Shack would call their version a smart drive.

Blakegj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Blakegj

Life is too short for 3 MB/s.

eklebau

bigmurali wrote:I remember back in 1996 buying a 250MB hard-drive for $175 and was happy I got an "awesome deal"

I paid 200 for a 160 MB in 92. I was so happy to have a 2nd drive.

deleguy83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deleguy83

A lot of storage for not a lot of money BUT not all USB 2.0 drives are created equally. The stated read and write speeds of 3.0 Mb/S is extremely slow!! I bought a corsair survivor which is a USB 3.0 drive but in a USB 2.0 port I still get 25MB/S read and 20MB/S write.

My advice, don't buy it.

SWBeauty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SWBeauty
tatttoochick wrote:This same memory stick is sold at Walmart for 55.00. There is a little savings, but it looks like it's not one of the higher end brand names. good deal, but after tax and shipping I think it would just be easier to drive to Walmart and buy one...

Tax at WalMart, not on woot. So tax + gas to go to WalMart compared to $5 shipping... maybe a wash.

harddavid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harddavid

Hate to admit it, but I DID use punch cards - FORTRAN and COBOL. On an IBM System/360.

garrett89gir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garrett89gir

I bought one of these last time it was on woot. It failed within a month of purchase. Centon replaced it which was nice of them. I also bought a 64gb SDXC card from centon that failed after its first use.. I hate centon

RedDawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RedDawg

Shudda waited. Got mine on 10/11/11 @ $49.99 (+ $5 of course). http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=19533.
Wuz a W-O as I recall...

eklebau

Bought a 32 gig Centon from woot a few months ago even though most people had problems. I had nothing but issues and returned it. I just did not want to mess with the warranty on something I just bought. I have been afraid of Centon ever since. I still want one though.

RedDawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RedDawg
harddavid wrote:Hate to admit it, but I DID use punch cards - FORTRAN and COBOL. On an IBM System/360.

Hell, I see your punch cards and raise you piano rolls!

RichieT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RichieT

I bought this I believe it was during a Woot Off sans the carabiner. I can deal with the data transfer, but what's a pain is that the rubber case stretched out and I take too much effort in watching that the stick stays in and the cap stays on. Perhaps it was the heat from wearing it on a lanyard that did it, but it is unacceptable..