Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

As with the Atari 2600 boxes we looked at a while back, board game box art is where the game experience really begins. It strikes the proper mood, fills in some of the game's narrative gaps, and can be more enjoyable or intriguing than the game inside. Here are details from the boxes for eight classic games from the 1940s through the 1970s. How many are still gathering dust in the rec room of your mind?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

barrytice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barrytice

Off the top of my head:

2: Clue
3: Monopoly
4: Life
7: Risk
8: Mastermind

I think 5 is Hangman (duh!) and 6 looks ridiculously familiar. 1 may be the Barbie dating game.

RenoDavid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RenoDavid

I know that #1 is Mystery Date from the 60's. The television ad still sticks with me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcBl_Eps_c

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
RenoDavid wrote:I know that #1 is Mystery Date from the 60's. The television ad still sticks with me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcBl_Eps_c

Please, please, please don't let it be Poindexter!

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

RokNRolMartian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RokNRolMartian

I think #6 is Pay Day.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

As close as I can come (and it seems to confirm a few earlier posts)

#1. Mystery (Dream?) Date
#2. Stratego
#3. Monopoly (though I don't think that's right)
#4. Life
#5. Hangman
#6. Some bad trip inspired by Peter Max
#7. Risk
#8. Othello

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

DanStratton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DanStratton

#1 Mystery Date
#2 Stratego
#3 Finance (kind of like Monopoly, but different).
#6 Payday
#7 Risk

I remember seeing all the rest, just can't place them.

LukeDuff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LukeDuff

Only missed Careers, never seen or heard of it.

BC4L!

jaamzw

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jaamzw

only knew 3 of them.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I guessed Mystery Date and Monopoly correctly. The rest I had no clue. I think you made some of these up, Woot writers!

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

Careers???

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

These are total guesses, I really have no idea about any of them:

1. Mystery Date
2. Clue
3. Monopoly
4. ????
5. Hangman
6. Life
7. Risk
8. Mastermind

Edit: ok, now that I've looked at the answers, I guess I didn't do too poorly after all. Too bad the only one I felt half-way sure of was #2 which turned out to be wrong!

Jason Toon

I had to throw one mildly obscure one in there. But we had Careers when I was a kid, and played it quite a bit. At the time, I thought it was right up there in the pantheon with Monopoly and Life.

Funny how a child's perception can be shaped by whatever he stumbles across at a yard sale.

dtristano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtristano
Jason Toon wrote:I had to throw one mildly obscure one in there. But we had Careers when I was a kid, and played it quite a bit. At the time, I thought it was right up there in the pantheon with Monopoly and Life.

Funny how a child's perception can be shaped by whatever he stumbles across at a yard sale.

I *loved* careers when I was a kid. Our box was newer though - orange sort of 70's mod with stars, I think.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010
Jason Toon wrote:I had to throw one mildly obscure one in there. But we had Careers when I was a kid, and played it quite a bit. At the time, I thought it was right up there in the pantheon with Monopoly and Life.

Seems like it'd be a Canadian thing...

BTW, I also was sure #2 was Clue.
Funny because I always loved Stratego and never liked Clue.
If I had noticed the game piece in his hand in the lower left corner it would've been a dead give away.

ethilbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ethilbert

My mom bought us Careers at Goodwill when I was about 7. We liked it a lot. It was a lot like Life, but you could win in more ways. I have that Stratego box sitting in my closet a few feet from me. I received it as a gift in 1987 or 1988 at Christmas. My brother and I played it all the time. After we graduated from college my mom gave me the game back. One day my uncle came for a visit, but he was running late and my brother and I decided to play it. My uncle walked in and immediately called us 'idjits.' It was like we were 8 years old all over again.

miniskunk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages miniskunk

Got Number 5 right away. It is Vincent Price on the box cover to Hangman.

Jason Toon

miniskunk wrote:Got Number 5 right away. It is Vincent Price on the box cover to Hangman.

Now there's a career option that seems closed to today's Hollywood stars: board-game box model.

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
miniskunk wrote:Got Number 5 right away. It is Vincent Price on the box cover to Hangman.

I knew he looked familiar!
I got Mystery Date and a few others, but I think that's pretty good, considering I'm a product of the 80s.