+ Add a Comment

Caffeineismydrug

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Caffeineismydrug

This is terrible; Screen real estate devoted to products has been replaced with useless fluff. WhereTF are the "literary perspective" descriptions I long for? I can't find anything, and on my woot laptop, with a 1024x768 screen, the pages don't fit without horizontal scrolling!

Edit: My order history in 27 pages! It used to be one page and I caold find anything! How do I get to the historical item comments in less than 6 clicks!
Woot; I'll be back around these parts in a few weeks when you fix this terrible mess, no wooting for me until then.

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

bfr004

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bfr004

The product write-ups are what make Woot! distinctive. In the old design, I could see exactly what I needed to on any portal page without having to "read more." The fundamental rule I was taught in application design was to minimize the user click-through required to perform common tasks. By adding a layer of complexity to the site and hiding the meat and potatoes of what makes Woot! special in favor of flair, this redesign fails for me in an Internet Bennigin's/TGIFriday's kind of way.

Biggyniner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Biggyniner

Well the guy before me said it best.. "Looks like AOL threw up"... Sorry Woot but this is just ugly, complicated and confusing. My eyes are drawn towards.... too many things... terrible layout.

burlow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burlow

I like the Read More for the description. Yes, lure me into your clutches...

Seriously, I like it!

mmmass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmmass

Just point me at a link to "Woot Classic" and then do whatever you like with this new page. Same as Google. Everyone will be happy.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy

It's pretty simple in my mind:

MORE clicks to get the same data = F A I L.

It's """pretty""", but overall - meh.

There really wasn't anything wrong with the way it was.

EDIT:
Also - can no longer see a trail of a users comments in the forum (e.g. MY OWN) - how is that an improvement? Or is there a simple 17-click sequence I'm not aware of yet?

You've been put on posting probation for this post

Nosmo Rex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nosmo Rex

DO. NOT. WANT.
I'll echo the complaints of a majority of the comments here. Way too busy. Simple is in.
The old site was not broken. Why fix it? We'll pay for this marketing cluster with higher prices. Someone was looking to justify his job, and this boondoggle was the result.

madalice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madalice

Oh, What fresh hell is this?

Caffeineismydrug

Woot: Please update descriptions of woot found on your page, wikipedia, etc, to change "Deal a day site" to

A site with:
4 deals
1 hidden, moofi deal
12 shirts
5 sellout things
2 woot+ departments of more junk
And a diarrhea of a quarter million useless bot-generated "deals" that nobody cares about.

My advice:
Ditch the community deals, I stopped visiting there a year ago;
Rename moofi and sellout to Woot2/Woot3 or start a poll for new names;
Make the woot plus departments less important than the description and user comments.

EDIT: Grrrr.. My name went from CaffeineIsMyDrug to Caffeineism...

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

tfcon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tfcon

Why?

ften

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ften

I find the "Today's Woot" part of the front page to be taking up too much space, if only there was a way you could make Woot!Plus bigger.

ionman

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ionman

1) Web design 101 -- never violate the rule that scrolling vertically is fine, scrolling horizontally on ANYTHING but a large spreadsheet is a FAIL.
2) See #1. The fixed size for your header is 1080+ pixels. So for the folks that are using smaller screens (like phones, tablets, etc.) the header simply doesn't work. How do you get sign off and enter another user on a 800x600 tablet when the user name isn't even displayed... and you CAN'T even scroll to it.
3) No margin at all on most pages between the text and the edge of the screen. Really? All this clutter and you couldn't spare even a couple of pixels? When was the last time you saw a book, newspaper, sign, or any other medium that expected you to read it that has ZERO margin before the text?
4) The entire web site looks like a bunch of people wrote down everything they wanted on post-it® notes. Then the web designers simply plastered everything in a big collage and said, "Hey, looks great! Let's do it."

RE: #4 - they're wrong. So, so wrong.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
ften wrote:I find the "Today's Woot" part of the front page to be taking up too much space, if only there was a way you could make Woot!Plus bigger.

OH, GOD, DON'T ENCOURAGE THEM!!!

THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND SARCASM IN IT!!!

tradinfool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tradinfool

New woot SUCKS. Bring Back the old woot!!!!!!!!!!

tradinfool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tradinfool

They don't care about comments. The only way to get their attention is voting with your wallet. I'm outa here.

Caffeineismydrug

ionman wrote:1) Web design 101 -- never violate the rule that scrolling vertically is fine, scrolling horizontally on ANYTHING but a large spreadsheet is a FAIL.
2) See #1. The fixed size for your header is 1080+ pixels. So for the folks that are using smaller screens (like phones, tablets, etc.) the header simply doesn't work. How do you get sign off and enter another user on a 800x600 tablet when the user name isn't even displayed... and you CAN'T even scroll to it.
3) No margin at all on most pages between the text and the edge of the screen. Really? All this clutter and you couldn't spare even a couple of pixels? When was the last time you saw a book, newspaper, sign, or any other medium that expected you to read it that has ZERO margin before the text?
4) The entire web site looks like a bunch of people wrote down everything they wanted on post-it® notes. Then the web designers simply plastered everything in a big collage and said, "Hey, looks great! Let's do it."

RE: #4 - they're wrong. So, so wrong.

Yeah; Horrible use of space. I use 23" monitors most of the time, but my laptop and phone both look terrible and I refused to scroll sideways. (That's why scroll wheels go up/down not left/right)
They can start listing on their refur tablets, laptops, etc:
"Will work for browsing Woot pages: No"

Hey Woot, you should switch to a more fun font too, like Comic Sans.

chipmonger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chipmonger

No thanks. Give me the old woot! back.

MCMikeNamara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MCMikeNamara

I think that the new page is great. As much as I sometimes find the jokey product introductions amusing and appreciate that there are people who come to Woot for a community experience, I come here to get deals -- anything that shows me more of those on the home page in a way that's easier to see is a win for me.

bigfatbass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigfatbass

Stunned my comments from overnight are still up. My point remains, in "print" and in fact: woot!, you have officially screwed the pooch. You are being led by cretins who don't understand how much brand cache you just completely torched. EXPLETIVE DELETED I-D-I-O-T-S!

This country is fudged because greed and stupidity are the only things being rewarded.

When you hit the e-commerce graveyard, say hello to petopia for us.

smells like death in here.

db94127

quality posts: 0 Private Messages db94127

A clutter of crap. It sucks.

snowsurflax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowsurflax

Too busy. Too hard to see on my smartphone. Woot FAIL.

jb449

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jb449

The new site is a little too busy, but not terrible. The only thing I feel must be changed is the item description. I shouldn't have to click on "read more".

The funny descriptions are the best part of woot and they have just been neutered.

Jimt29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jimt29

Links don't work in Opera, my preferred browser.

I suspect most of the negative comments will be dismissed due to Amazon's involvement.

But..perhaps you can have a user selectable "Use Previous Version" button.

I much prefer the old Woot!

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj

Honestly I don't think it's that bad, though it'll take some getting used to. A few things that are really "UGH" though:

- Change the fixed header size. You're forcing horizontal scrolling for a LOT of people.
- Page is too busy for mobile, so make an auto-redirect to a new mobile site.
- Get rid of Woot Plus. Huge eyesore and out of place. Put the description in that place (with the "Read more" button that automatically expands it). Move Woot Plus to the right with a small picture next to all the other Woot sites.
- The "Discuss this Deal" box with quality posts in it is now totally unusable. Too small to have any information about the content of the post, and no one waits for it to scroll through anyway. Since the description should be moved to below the picture anyway, move that back up and expand it to the previous size. Or get rid of it. Either way in its current form it's pointless and just takes up space.

Overall the new style isn't too bad. It's really more "modern" than the old Woot. But a few of these egregious faults make it much less user-friendly. The "Woot Plus" box especially is a massive waste of space and needs to be shifted into a small box on the right next to the other Woot sites.

Oh, and also the single $5 charge for standard shipping on all your Woot orders placed on the same day should be a permanent change, or at least brought back for all Woot-offs.

legoboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages legoboy

I got a headache
This design is so busy
I miss the old site

mntiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mntiger

1)Too busy for me.
2)Full description on main page please.
3)WOOT Plus is too big. If they are that big they better have wide appeal - like maybe being the main Woot of the day instead and take up more space that way?
4)On the order history - I like the all in one place a lot. When clicking on the order tracking, can it open a new tab so I can have look multiple orders up at once and not have to go back and forth?

sansclsmls

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sansclsmls

Sorry to pile on, but the re-design is NOT a win. TOO much going on. No longer looks simple. Miss the multiple write ups without having to click through.

I recommend Woot to lots of people, but now, anyone who is 'old' or not tech savvy is off that list - they would just be confused.

ronfronberg

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

Is the new name Woot beta?

I noticed that some of the past Woots are missing from the community. One example is the "bag of krap" from the last Woot-Off and in the sellout woot community the May 27 entry.

Just found the bag listing:

The Bag of Krap is only posted the first time it was offered and has the date of the last time it was offered. Sorting by date does not work for the Bag of Krap.

The site seems slower than before.

Also the other woot site is not present

Moofi.

ron

darthaegis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darthaegis

Bravo on the new web design now you look just like every other site out there.

Nothing says "unique" like shoving as much crap as you can on the main page.

Might as well call it facewoot.com.

Bob0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bob0

I deliberately wrote and sent a message through the beta feedback button before reading any other comments as I didn't want them to influence what I wrote. It turns out most people here have the same reaction to the design that I did: It's just too busy and distracting.

I realize that one of a corporation's missions is to increase sales and revenue and that one product a day is a chalenge. So now there is "Woot! plus." Okay, but it would be better, I think to reduce the page space for that and bring back the main Woot product writeup as others suggest.

niks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niks

Shouldn't you be trying to increase the incentives for people to become "regulars", rather than hoping they will continue shopping here *DESPITE* the repulsive site look changes?

I personally won't feel half as bad anymore when I omit to check Woot on a particular day... by far! Thanks' for driving me away from one of my few daily impulse purchasing habits - more money in my pocket - Yee!

Oh, and I already hated it a while ago when you made us click a second time on sellout.woot.com to go to the actual page.

mspaeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mspaeth

How annoying...

I think the best solution is to set up a proxy site that reads the woot home pages and auto-redirects to the "read more" link... shouldn't be that hard to put together...

clintsestep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clintsestep

you guys really need a customer service number ASAP!!

baseproduct

quality posts: 5 Private Messages baseproduct

Dude.

I know you got married because she promised she wouldn't be controlling. Because she said things would stay the way they were, only she'd be here to keep the house clean, cook you dinner, and have sex with you. And I agree, that sounds like a great deal.

But... have you looked around lately? It all started with the answering machine, you know. When you gave her a separate mailbox and let her record an OGM with you. You remember how she left her phone number on there, and then left detailed instructions on *her* answering machine about how to leave her a message on yours? Now, this isn't even your house anymore. The plants, the role playing game manuals, the comfy armchairs... where are they? It looks like Picasso and an ultra-modernist friend got drunk and tried out every idea the had on your front room. You've lost yourself, bro.

Do you remember when we met? How you told me you'd always live your life for one thing, and one thing only? When I look at this room, I see a man who's pulled in too many different directions. Even if what you lived for was as mercurial as the days of the week, it was clear what you stood for. This madness, this antiseptic cluttered mess, it's just not healthy.

Anyway bud. I'm sorry to get off on a rant. You have my number should you ever decide you want to be the man you were again. But I can't stand by and watch you diminish yourself like this. I'll always be your friend, but the best thing I can do for you right now, as your friend, is to walk away.

Sorry.

niks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niks
MrJazz wrote:
OK ~ seven year member, 100+ Woots... who do you have to know to get coupons???

You want to know the "secret"?
People will tell you to get the coupons, you have be active, you have to vote, you have to click, you have to do this and that, depends on each month, etc - a complex formula that no one knows exactly.

Believe it or not, it is much simpler. If you stop shopping as much as you did before - then you might get them worried and they might send you one. It's the same thing as when Paypal sent discount incentives to many inactive Paypal users, even though it was highly offensive to regular and long-term users who got zilch.

It's easy to understand when you get behind their purpose - it is not an award or a gift; it is what it is - and incentive to buy more...

zackschumann

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zackschumann

My goodness you all are merciless. I must admit that I am a little disappointed in the lack of product description and the proximity of the WootPlus offers to the hero offer. I think the latter complaint is due to the competition in imagery. I would reduce the WootPlus images by 50% to minimize the collateral damage. also, it seems that they get a better visual treatment in general than the hero offer.

You might consider pulling the sub-Woots higher on the page as well. They could probably live happily next to the product description (I really miss seeing that off the bat) or the dimension-nerfed WootPlus offers.

Aside from that though, I like the style but suggest you develop a mobile CSS so it renders better on my phone. Just my phone though.

GonzoTom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GonzoTom

My $0.02, the new design is horrible. I like the direction, just not the execution. Clicking on "Read More" about the daily deal is what I expect Woot! to look like in a redesign. The new site is cluttered and busy. The need to clean it up. I literally almost got lost the first time I saw it and nearly get a headache every time I come back.

TheGogmagog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheGogmagog
baseproduct wrote:Dude.

I know you got married because she promised she wouldn't be controlling. Because she said things would stay the way they were, only she'd be here to keep the house clean, cook you dinner, and have sex with you. And I agree, that sounds like a great deal.

But... have you looked around lately? It all started with the answering machine, you know. When you gave her a separate mailbox and let her record an OGM with you. You remember how she left her phone number on there, and then left detailed instructions on *her* answering machine about how to leave her a message on yours? Now, this isn't even your house anymore. The plants, the role playing game manuals, the comfy armchairs... where are they? It looks like Picasso and an ultra-modernist friend got drunk and tried out every idea the had on your front room. You've lost yourself, bro.

Do you remember when we met? How you told me you'd always live your life for one thing, and one thing only? When I look at this room, I see a man who's pulled in too many different directions. Even if what you lived for was as mercurial as the days of the week, it was clear what you stood for. This madness, this antiseptic cluttered mess, it's just not healthy.

Anyway bud. I'm sorry to get off on a rant. You have my number should you ever decide you want to be the man you were again. But I can't stand by and watch you diminish yourself like this. I'll always be your friend, but the best thing I can do for you right now, as your friend, is to walk away.

Sorry.

Well put. I came here for one thing, one simple URL one item, one price, one story and one description, all on one page.

Usually it was just a jumping point to deals.woot.com if I wanted more. I could click on those boxes to the lower right just as easily as the toolbars at the top. Others seem to like it, but I don't like the wasted header space.

I know these comments won't mean or change anything as long as people keep putting up with it. I'll not be giving woot any more page clicks (especially 3 to get to the specs). I am removing my RSS feeds and will check back with you in a month or two.

P.S. The horizontal formatting is horrible.

art61

quality posts: 0 Private Messages art61

Other than the tabs at the top, I vote thumbs DOWN! Here is just the most glaring problems:

1. I have to scroll to see the whole page width on my laptop.
2. I have to click to see the whole description and then scroll some more. One of the reasons I come here is to read the funny description, even if I'm not buying.
3. Why is the the type smack against the left hand side of the window? Makes it hard to read.

Now, other than the type being smacked right against the left hand side and the width problem, the page I get AFTER I click on read more isn't too bad. Maybe just make that the home page layout.

BelyndaG

quality posts: 23 Private Messages BelyndaG

I bombarded WootStaff with beta feedback comments yesterday, but just had to send another a few minutes ago. Thought I would also post it here. I would REALLY like to have at least a sliver of blank margin on each side of the pages. Right now all of the text and graphics cover everything wall-to-wall and it makes it difficult to read. Not the most serious concern I've noted, but I wanted to add it to my list.