FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte

I like being able to see all the sites from the top bar.

I have to agree that I miss having the details of the deal all on the first page.

Looks great though! I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 57 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 167

RCTWonder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RCTWonder

So I jumped from the Woot! main site to check out the CamelBak Deal. When I looked in the upper corner, I was logged in as someone completely else. Kinda disturbing.

Aside from that little blunder, the site looks good...

Catawaba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Catawaba

Initial impression is positive.

What was I thinking?

mthomtech

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mthomtech

Where's our latest Bouts of Consternation in the forums?

3 x

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Excuse my French, but What's the Features??

This site is like Times Square now. WAY too busy.

The font makes this site look like a 2 year put it together.

Why is it that companies think they need to completely revamp their sites to make them harder and a pain in the a$$ to use?

Since this site is beta, hopefully woot will repair it. Take the improvements like site to site navigation, previous orders in one place, but make the site look professional instead a playground with more advertising than a free magazine.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

zfadinglifez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zfadinglifez

loving the new layout so far but i have 2 suggestions:
1 - the white space at the top is unnecessary, when scrolled to the top there is a chunk of white..and i dont like it..but i do like how the top bar follows you as you scroll down..very nice
2 - i love that you are stating the list price and % savings..but think it might look better if they were on separate lines..currently its a bit hard to see where one ends and the other begins..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
when you do things right, people wont be sure youve done anything at all

telymanbws

quality posts: 4 Private Messages telymanbws

Did you fire the writers just because they went on strike April 1st? Seriously, it was the stories that were one of the main attractions of WOOT!. Even if I wasn't interested in the offering I always read the story. You need to work it in somehow where the story is a default and the WOOT! Plus is a pop up similar to this feedback box. Do it! Now!

Done yet?

BTW: the "BETA FEEDBACK" is broke. Or maybe you don't want to get our feedback.

There is a saying about those who forget history. I don't remember what it said, but it was good.
-Stephen Colbert

alaird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaird

Wow.... Really?

The new look and feel seems cluttered and lacks a consistant flow. The product text is off the page and there's multiple products on the display.

There are lots of sites (like Amazon) that pimp all kind of products with nothing special to set them apart. The simplicity of the old Woot, selling one product with a bunch of hyperbole is/was unique.

The new Woot could be any product site and if I sent someone here for the first time, I doubt they would feel anything more than 'meh, whatever.'

milw123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages milw123

Ah, these kids today...I can tell you about Woot back in aught-5, aught-6! Pea green borders and Photoshop contests...and what's her name, Brave Lady or something. That was Woot! Made me proud to be a lurker.
Ah, well; the more things change the more...
Get off my lawn!

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82
kronosphere wrote:my eyes, they bleed---way bright

this.

liquidblue1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages liquidblue1

Yep, the feedback form is broken for me too. Nice way to make sure your superiors don't get any complaints!

The woot!plus pictures don't load right on my touchpad. The headline/description cuts the picture in half.

Clement30

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Clement30

I miss seeing my purchase history in 1 page. While very polished and shiny, it no longer has the smaller company feel. Is the podcast gone, too?

Amazon has some deep pockets. For them, a site like this is just throwing Woot a bone. 'All good things...' I'm interested in seeing where this is going.

But I hope you don't lose the screaming monkey attitude that got you here.

LOGICALPSYCHO

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LOGICALPSYCHO

Horrible, had to check to see if it was April fools day.

Site looks like someone made it on geocites. Only thing missing is some animated flames and an "under construction" logo.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

I also tried to send feedback and got a server error, so the short version.

WAAAAAAAAAAAY too bright. It burns my eyes and isn't pleasant to look at. Tone down the white. It's never a good idea.

It's fine to have a bunch of stuff on the main page but you have to provide contrast between elements so that it's easy to see what is what. This has the added bonus of making the site not so skull rapingly white. Pretty much every part of the site needs more contrast.

With those changes I think it could look pretty good. I will, however, add my displeasure to the amount of javascrapt that is running.

epompa03

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epompa03
mvsopen wrote:But the one that kills it for me? Making we, your customers, click to read the 2nd half of the product description! That's the reason we're here!!!!

My thoughts 100%.

Also: I like some of the new features ($5 all-you-can-ship seems cool, and so does the unified order history) and am still exploring others, but I had to stop in the forums to say that I'm not digging the intangibles. Maybe this is just because of the product launch and wanting to make everything seem cool and spiffy, but the whole site - especially the tone of the writing that I've read so far - seems like Woot is trying too hard to fit in with the electronic retailer cool kids instead of being its regular, nerdy self. I wouldn't presume to know whether or not that makes good economic sense, but I do think that this is more than a site redesign - more like a site redefinition. I don't think I like where this is going, Woot. The writing today reminds me of some of the lower-echelon deal-a-day copycats, which is a bad thing since the quality and tone of copywriting is always what set Woot apart in my eyes, even when I didn't find the jokes particularly funny. Keep the new features, but be yourself.

Magic Cave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Magic Cave

At least I'm in with the general crowd: the new site is too bright white, too cluttered, too busy. Blech.

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell

Well, I've already got a bug with the new Woot layout that I don't know if anyone else is having. Almost every time I go to a different Woot page now, it acts like I'm logged into someone else's account; you know, in the upper right hand corner, it says, "Hi, [insert random username]", not "Hi, calebmitchell." Anything being done about this staff? Sure would hate to get my personal info mixed up with someone else's and vice versa.

wastedthelight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wastedthelight

I think it looks a ton better. Only complaint, as mentioned above, is the product description not being on the front page. How can "I want one" without knowing what it even is spec wise?

I think overall it's a massive improvement personally. Loving no more pop-ups for additional images. Features and Specs are nicely laid out in tabs compared to just slapping it on the page like a 1998 page as before.

Keep up the good work monkeys!

Love me some Woot! Must make a family of screaming monkeys!

KCFalcon59

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KCFalcon59

I like it at first glance. Will see how everything works once I buy something.

LOGICALPSYCHO

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LOGICALPSYCHO
mvsopen wrote:Sometimes, newer isn't better!

Please, Woot, bring back the old design? This one is so cluttered and facebooky (?) that it is next to impossible to use. I've spent 38 minutes here, and just now found the full product description!

Agreed , I was tempted to use the facebook comparison but was afraid whoever was responsible for this crappy site redesign would think it was a compliment........ "See I told you it was good, they are comparing us to facebook."

Magic Cave

epompa03 wrote:My thoughts 100%.

Also: I like some of the new features ($5 all-you-can-ship seems cool, and so does the unified order history) and am still exploring others, but I had to stop in the forums to say that I'm not digging the intangibles. Maybe this is just because of the product launch and wanting to make everything seem cool and spiffy, but the whole site - especially the tone of the writing that I've read so far - seems like Woot is trying too hard to fit in with the electronic retailer cool kids instead of being its regular, nerdy self. I wouldn't presume to know whether or not that makes good economic sense, but I do think that this is more than a site redesign - more like a site redefinition. I don't think I like where this is going, Woot. The writing today reminds me of some of the lower-echelon deal-a-day copycats, which is a bad thing since the quality and tone of copywriting is always what set Woot apart in my eyes, even when I didn't find the jokes particularly funny. Keep the new features, but be yourself.

Thanks for articulating so clearly what was running around in my head all jumbled up.

thumperchick

quality posts: 237 Private Messages thumperchick

I'm 50/50. Love the top bar navigation. Hate that there is so much going on on the landing pages.

Ditch the middle/right site thumbnails and stick the woot+ info there. Put the description back on the front page, with the tabs for spec's and such. That would help a lot.

fatdragon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fatdragon

There are some definite integration improvements in the new site, but Woot! Plus clutters and cheapens the site, and having to click through to a product page for the full write-up is going to take some getting used to.

mikepainter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikepainter

So this is fully mature?
I have a "fully mature" copy of a Sears-Roebuck catalog dated 1908.
They put the description of the item on the same page as the picture, they did not make you guess how to find it.
I almost didn't click on the image as in the past this just showed more pictures.

mlsapack

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mlsapack

Nice new layout! We'll see how it works during teh next Wootoff!

One thing, for our account setup, do we need ot re-setup Paypal? The message (similar to the message on the old site when your Paypal account needed authorization) on the 'account settings' screen seems to be saying that, but clicking the button does not redirect to the Paypal site. Also, do we need to put in our Woot password anymore for Paypal purchases?

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
Clement30 wrote:Is the podcast gone, too?

Nope! Still on the front page. Here's this week's podcast.

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

Too much white!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

also, the lack of a margin on the left side is disturbing, though that probably has to do with the lack of scalability to the 1024px width...

busy busy busy. Very busy site. Y'know, I used to keep woot open all day at work so I could keep up with the forums, but I had to stop that when the woot chatter ticker came online - the constant server hits caused me to get yelled at for my "extreme internet usage". Never did like that.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

isitart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isitart

The new layout is way too cluttered and distracting to stimulate my impulse purchases. Clicking through to get to the info on the day's woot is irritating. The addition of advertising in the previous layout was distracting, but it was a subtle distraction that I could ignore. The new layout is just too much. Multiple deals are way too much - it was bad enough between home, kid and sellout/deal (and moofi) but now multiple concurrent/overlapping deals on one site? I doubt I will be visiting as often and probably will not be purchasing as much in the future - I don't want to click twice as much; worse for you it will kill off my impulse purchase response. I guess your business strategists think this is the best way to drive growth, I expect (like many of the changes over the past 8 years) a fair number of your customers will move on. Good luck with your new market/demographic - I hope they make you successful.

adamselby

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adamselby
SaVioR wrote:Loving the hate. The net these days is all about a mass of information at your fingertips all at once as fast as possible. GREAT job on the new design coming from a certified user interace engineer. LOVING it guys.

Certified? Do tell me, exactly what does that mean?

Magic Cave

alanhwoot wrote:Looks like you've left some debugging switched on. At on the I Want One page, there are some server statistics in the upper right corner.

Other than that, it looks nice. The Woot! Plus stuff is a bit big, and might be better off over in deals.woot.

I don't think I want it over there, either.

reddingfamily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reddingfamily
dpk3062 wrote:Agreed. Woot was simple, Woot was fun. Now it's just another online store.

Agreed. Well put. Lost the... w00t

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Ugh. So much scrolling.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rbi411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbi411

Any chance we could link woot accounts with our amazon account?

bauhaus1919

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bauhaus1919

i'm over trying to explain why my friends should check out woot as it grows further and further from why it was awesome and unique in the first place. in one fell swoop you tripled the difficulty in pitching the hook...we've hit the threshold where now i can only explain why they should try you out because of how great you USED TO be. i'm done. i give up. i was seriously hoping that the overhaul was a return to greatness...AND throw all of this on top of the fact that both of my woot-off purchases failed to process for no reason...and i'm over it. is there a way to delete my woot account and still be notified if you guys ever come to your senses?

mithr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mithr

Product page-- nice, though I really dislike the constantly moving comments.

Front page-- absolutely terrible. Two main complaints:

1. Way too busy. There are two (!) toolbars on top, though that issue exists in the product page as well. Then there are constantly moving comments. Two extra deals taking up as much room as the main deal. A version of the old woot directory to the side (even though we already have a navigation toolbar following us as we scroll!). Wootcast. Blog. Yet another navigation toolbar. Christ. Someone commented that it's a "clean" design. Clean isn't just having a white background and limited colors. It's about grasp-at-a-glance design, and currently my eyes don't know where to look when I load the page, after the giant "I want one" button.

2. I have to click to get to the product spec/description. For a site with a focus on clever descriptions of one deal a day (at least, that's one of the main distinguishing features of woot) adding an extra click is just bad design. If I want to read the details of the wine.woot deal, I have to click the navigation bar, then click the deal. It's great that you're adding extra deals, but please find some way to do that without adding useless clicks.

MrD3a7h

quality posts: 29 Private Messages MrD3a7h

Site is way too "busy" now. Hurts my eyes.

Me? I'm half man, half owl, and half moose. I am ManOwlMoose. Don't tell Al Gore about me.
-Battalion of Crabs x 4 (incl Adventure Crabs x 1, Happy Hour Crabs x 1)
-Probation posts x 1

nimdae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimdae
alaird wrote:Wow.... Really?

The new look and feel seems cluttered and lacks a consistant flow. The product text is off the page and there's multiple products on the display.

There are lots of sites (like Amazon) that pimp all kind of products with nothing special to set them apart. The simplicity of the old Woot, selling one product with a bunch of hyperbole is/was unique.

The new Woot could be any product site and if I sent someone here for the first time, I doubt they would feel anything more than 'meh, whatever.'

Keep in mind that woot is actually owned by Amazon. The correlation occurs because of that fact.

thumperchick

quality posts: 237 Private Messages thumperchick
rbi411 wrote:Any chance we could link woot accounts with our amazon account?

Please read the blog infographic. It specifically mentions linking your amazon account.

kalira

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kalira

Ye gods, guys... do you have to blind us with all the white? Remember your general clientele is, like me, the cave-dweller... Too much brightness!!

Also, and I may throw this in the beta feedback section thingie, but much as I like the top banner navigation, it doesn't quite work as well for those of us still rocking the smaller monitors. I can't see anything to the right of the part that says "stuff you bought" (though I know there's something there).