Once I got past the shock of change, I was struck by a few things:
- Other woot properties are easier to get to - awesome.
- Sharing features are much more prominent - not a big deal to me
- Full write-up not visible on the homepage - why did I come here again? If you think it was just for the deal, you're wrong woot - I visit at least 5-10 daily deal sites regularly, but most have really poor writeups, which is why I have (to date) visited woot the most. So this is a bad change.
- Other random multi-day "deals" thrown on the front page - Again, why did I come here? If I wanted to see dozens of deals I don't care too much about, I'd just use GroupOn.
- Lots of scrolling, but not much on the bottom of the page - Since it's just a bunch of ads and duplicate links to other woot properties, I guess I can just ignore it. But why?
- User profile looks a little spiffier - but I'm not really sure, since I barely ever used it before. I don't yet know if they added a compelling reason to ever use it now, but I guess I'll see.
- $5 grouped shipping - Depending on how long this lasts, this is great - it can only help, so it's a nice incentive to buy multiple products.
- Tabbed info on the product page - this is cleaner, very nice. But on a 1920x1080 display I still only get 3 lines up write-up without scrolling... sigh. You're not making it easy to enjoy your writing, woot. This offsets how much easier it is to get product info/photos.
Overall... well, woot's gotta make a buck I guess, and I don't mind them trying to stuff their site full of deals and ads. But please, please keep the main write-up front and center. It is the sole distinguishing feature in this business, and you're not serving your best interests by hiding it, at least in my opinion.
I think most of what I'm saying has been said already (I started culling quotes but server errors and the length of this is stopping me from posting them), but just two cents from someone who has regularly enjoyed woot for years (this includes many years of lurking before I finally signed up and started buying too)