+ Add a Comment

gmwhit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gmwhit

Really love the tabs at the top of the page. An improvement that makes it easier to go from 'site' to 'site.' Thumbnails on the bottom of the page - redundant & take up too much space. Put a clickable "To top of page" button down there.

Do NOT like woot! plus. At all. Takes up way to much room on each of the sites. Why not add another tab on the top that takes you to all woot! plus site's extras? If anyone's interested they could click that to find the additional woot deals for the site they're interested in viewing. Use that extra room to put back the entire description for each daily item.

Like the combined order account. A lot. The temporary $5 shipping is compelling. When you do decide to eliminate that, perhaps you could offer some kind of combined reduced shipping. i.e. 1st item $5.00, each additional item $2.50.

Speaking of redundant - I have not read every comment here, so forgive me if I'm just parroting what others have said before me.

Jessara

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jessara

Do I get credit for being the first to point out functional flaws/break it? When I click on 'order tracking' for my Home.woot order #3804195xx, the site links me to FedEx, who says they never heard of it. The shipping email I received links to UPS- which is the right answer, and they have all the shipment info. The item is Pet Life Collapsible Soft Pet Crate

Same problem: 'order tracking' for my woot.com order #380619xx, the site links me to FedEx, who says they never heard of it. The shipping email I received links to USPS- which is the right answer, and they have all the shipment info. The item is Ohio Art Air Picks – 3 Pack. Yes, I have submitted feedback.
I love beta testing. See, I told you I could break it.

moonshiner1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonshiner1

To much stuff on one page. How about one day, one deal? Or maybe woot 2 and 3 with links like there are to shirt and home?

pmcizhere

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pmcizhere

Pretty good job! But no Google+ love huh?

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

shroud2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shroud2

I believe that you are on the right track, but a few adjustments would improve things in my opinion. Highlighting the write-up, minimizing the screen presence of Woot! Plus, and possible adding some texture to the background would improve things I believe.

First, I think that the product write-up is a major attraction for your site. It should remain prominent and fully visible. You not highlighting the product write-up would be akin to weather.com putting news postings all over their front page and relegating the weather to a small link on the side.

Second, the Woot! Plus section photographs and information has such a large screen presence that it appears to compete with the daily offering. Due to its large size, it pulls the eyes and makes it a little harder to focus on any one item. I think the additional offerings are nice, but it is the single item focus that has made Woot! the success it is today.

Lastly, I agree with many that the background may be too glaring. On many modern screens, white shows up very bright and can be a little hard on the eyes. Although it does give the site a “clean” look, you want customers to be able to comfortably spend large amounts of time on the site. One idea may be to use a more off-white color instead of #FFFFFF. Another idea may be to use some kind of light texture on the background to break up the intensity of the white.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
kalee11 wrote:The biggest thing I have a problem with on the front page is that I can't see all of the write-up at one time. I don't want to click "read more." The write-up is my favorite thing about Woot, and I want instant gratification when I get to the front page.

Seconded, a whole day later.

Seriously, Woot, did you set the copy on another page so it could be permalinked? I mean, I get it if you did... But did you?

Moueska

pmcizhere wrote:Pretty good job! But no Google+ love huh?

(+1) :D

Oh, and I do second the fact that I actually like having the links to all the woot pages at the top. Love it.

But I also have to second the idea that the jump page for the main woot is clunkyish and the forum has too much "whitespace" in the wrong places, and adspace is too prominent to be anything other than annoying.

For teh lulz:

yooper1019

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yooper1019

Wow! This is gross! It looks like Nick Denton's and AOL's mutant love-spawn's brains were splattered all over your site. I hope your Amazon overlords force this upon you, otherwise you should have your heads examined.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: You hide the fact the the laptop is a refurb until users 'click through' to details. That is a shady business practice!!!!!

dkalnz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dkalnz

Anybody know the fate of Moofi woot?

jrs1980

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jrs1980

Don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but I'm trying to use the coupon that jumbowoot bestowed on me to buy a tee that's going to be Reckoned tonight. It loads but never applies. I'm assuming it's an "unintended feature" of the redesign.

Since the shirt will be gone forever tonight, kinda bummed. Yes, I've got an email in to service@woot.com.

dkalnz wrote:Anybody know the fate of Moofi woot?

They have a deal up today so I'd assume it's all good, despite moofi.woot.com giving a 404...

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

yukoimada

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yukoimada

Here's a question for you all.... Now that I can log in with my Amazon password -- I know that Amazon bought woot a while ago -- If I use my amazon credit card, will I get triple Chase points?

slz254

quality posts: 5 Private Messages slz254

Pretty much all of my issues with the redesign have already been mentioned. But if you were going to change two things to make little ol' me happy, you would get rid of the scrolling quality posts and just use a box like you did before. You would also, for the love of whatever deity. deities, or forces you hold sacred, bring back some color to the site. Way, way to much white. I know that supposedly pages with lots of whitespace look cleaner, but mostly they just look blah.

slz254

quality posts: 5 Private Messages slz254
motospyder wrote:Whenever I go back and look at your first page, I think "STOP YELLING AT ME!!"

Yes! Thank you for saying what I couldn't quite find the words to say.

I understand you had to change the site to account for a changing business model, but to me, it just seems like to much all in one place, all competing for my attention and, well, yelling at me.

exeyesoftware

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exeyesoftware
dpk3062 wrote:Agreed. Woot was simple, Woot was fun. Now it's just another online store.

I too agree. There is something about people who manage things that makes them want to change things that work, without understanding why they work.

For years I've checked Woot every day, and bought quite a bit of stuff, because it was fun and easy, and didn't take up much of my time.

Now they want more of my time and I'm not going to give it. Sorry, Woot (or more correctly Amazon), you lose.

-jimc

kgongol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kgongol

does it seem like everything is too far to the left? Everything is touching the exact edge of the window and idk why but it is so frustrating! shift everything over by a millimeter please please.

RedDogRER

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RedDogRER

You know.... I knew that Woot was going to change something when I made a comment on something I bought that I'll be getting close to a black square soon. Last time that happened, it was when they changed the number of items required for a black square...

I'm withholding my judgement for now until I buy some woots.

The black square is finally mine!! BWAHAHA!! Now to go play with all my stuff.

silverlake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverlake

I love the new site! Great front page, and a lot more information available.

art187

quality posts: 0 Private Messages art187
kalee11 wrote:The biggest thing I have a problem with on the front page is that I can't see all of the write-up at one time. I don't want to click "read more." The write-up is my favorite thing about Woot, and I want instant gratification when I get to the front page.

+10

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick
Moueska wrote:(+1) :D

Oh, and I do second the fact that I actually like having the links to all the woot pages at the top. Love it.

But I also have to second the idea that the jump page for the main woot is clunkyish and the forum has too much "whitespace" in the wrong places, and adspace is too prominent to be anything other than annoying.

For teh lulz:

+1 hahahaha

MrJazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrJazz

[quote postid="5022050" user="jrs1980"]Don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but I'm trying to use the coupon that jumbowoot bestowed on me to buy a tee that's going to be Reckoned tonight. It loads but never applies. I'm assuming it's an "unintended feature" of the redesign.

OK ~ seven year member, 100+ Woots... who do you have to know to get coupons???

crowbite

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crowbite

VERY BAD DESIGN!

In order of priority:

1.) your ugly green menu bar is too wide for a 1024px display, and it does not scroll. I can't get to my account info, etc. It should be 1000px max (to fit a 1024px display, allowing for the vertical scroll bar at the right). Or it should scroll with the rest of the page.

2.) ADVANCED SEARCH on deals.woot does not work. When I fill in the fields (as usual) and then click "Search" NOTHING HAPPENS. No form data is submitted to the server, and the page does not reload. This is an important tool, please fix it.

3.) Homepage looks like home fried crap. Too many HUGE things scattered all over the page. This is why I don't shop at WalMart any more... they've made it too hard to find what I want. It used to be easy to navigate Woot (although the page was too wide) but now it's frustrating and disgusting. Please hire someone who is NOT a high school student to design a page that looks "clean, crisp, and professional."

But take care of #1 and #2, which are blatant malfunctions, before you deal with #3.

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick
MrJazz wrote:
OK ~ seven year member, 100+ Woots... who do you have to know to get coupons???

Being active at deals.woot usually works for me.

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

Haven't read through this entire thread so forgive me if this was already mentioned. Anyone else notice only a few usernames have private message envelopes next to their username? Or maybe I'm just missing something?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

slacker44 wrote:Haven't read through this entire thread so forgive me if this was already mentioned. Anyone else notice only a few usernames have private message envelopes next to their username? Or maybe I'm just missing something?

Had that problem earlier with another user. Clearing out the cache/temp files and closing the browser down fixed it right up. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ohsnaparoomba

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ohsnaparoomba

I like a lot of the functional changes guys, but here's the problem:

You're trying to push too much sh$%@t on me. There's a lot to be said for the "here's our one item of the day" philosophy, with gentle upsells of other merchandise.

The new design makes woot! feel like a used car salesman who's desperate to GET ME INTO A NEW PRODUCT RIGHT NOW, any product, any now, buy buy buy.

It's kinda... pushy.

hippie19

quality posts: 21 Private Messages hippie19

I wasn't consulted!

Moueska

What the HECK, Woot!!! I suggested making the WootPlus items smaller, and you blow them up by an extra cube space?!

Were you even listening to the feedback at all?!

(Sends above to Beta Feedback)

ntyamada

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ntyamada

Can I change my vote?

Not liking this change at all. Undermines all the coolness and simplicity of Woot! - one deal, one day . . . with the exception of woot! offs.

Whoa! Knives sold out within minutes? . . . what's that about? . .. oh, no worries, another deal coming up . . . and lots of side deals to browse while you wait.

Now I feel like I'm at some evil place that will suck me into an all night shopping spree.

docflash

quality posts: 16 Private Messages docflash

exactly!! i sent folks to woot! all the time, telling 'em about the great copywriting.

also, having the G I G A N T I C ads for the other stuff, like the bazooka speakers, etc., makes woot! seem like a sellout. of course, You Must Serve Your Corporate Masters (hi, JB!) but doing it this way removes *ALL* of the coolness of woot! it makes "woot!" turn into "woot$" which is more than a few steps down a slippery slope.

a GREASY, slippery slope.

a GREASY, slippery, TEFLON slope . . .

. . . while wearing roller skates.

"i don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top." --anon
more quotes.

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob

I have to say I'm diggin' it so far. Especially the hovercards that drop down from the top bar, letting me scan most of the deals without even clicking.

what, Me, sig?

ganome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ganome

*Holds up protest sign*
1 too cluttered
2 ugly font
3 NOT ENOUGH FUNNY
4 write up too hard to find
5 Needs more funny
6 Too much white space
7 Too much white period!
8 Too corporate blah looking!
9 Really a facebook link? come on...
10 THERE IS NO #10
11 Wheres the funny stuff!
12 Ok the whole site is ugly bland boring!
13 This is a bit older of a complaint but the video podcasts SUCK compared to the old audio only ones
14 the pod cast is hard to find
15 Too many ads
16 The only decent thing with the change is the tabs up top the rest is HORRIBLE!

In summary, just change it back and we will pretend this never happened. I know Woot is in the awkward preadolescent years, but next thing you know Woot will dye its hair green, get a tattoo, paint its nails black with skulls, and start doing drugs! We want Woot to have a bright future, but with the path Woot is headed down currently it will be found dead in an alley behind hooters within 2 years! Think of the Monkeys Woot! do you want Mortimer and Monty to end up as orphans?

eeraser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eeraser

No, the tabs along the top are not cool or nice, they suck and let me tell you why. The old cluster of Woot links gave you a hint as to the treasure that awaits you. Now, it is like going to Vegas, the fancy bright color is visual vomit and the Woot link are a crap Woot as to what you are going to get. Just so you know, I am sending screen grabs to the FailBlog....and possible theCHIVE, but just for irony, not because they are cool. KCCO

MyPooka

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MyPooka
dpk3062 wrote:Agreed. Woot was simple, Woot was fun. Now it's just another online store.

I second that. Simple was fun. Simple was good. This is not simple. This is new, but not improved.

bjmantis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjmantis

Woot home is confusing. I can't find the Derby or the Reckoning. Also, I had to really stretch the web page (in Chrome) so all the letters would show.

RobotJaxxon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RobotJaxxon

Whole lotta don't like.

I didn't get past the "% off list price" load of crap.

Part of the fun of Woot! was knowing it was an awesome deal, but not knowing quite how good. Using rudimentary skills of the interwebs, or maybe rummaging around the comments, you'd figure it out, chuckle a little, and maybe learn a thing or two in the process. By the time you've figured out how good of deal it is, you're kinda personally committed to the research you did, and you kinda want to get it.

Now... there's the price, there's the deal, and I'm done.

This seems like a cynical, patronizing move by some new suit at Woot!. "These are such great deals! We NEED to TELL THEM how great the deals are!" No, you really don't.

On top of that, when your page loads, if I see more than one product image that's not cleanly categorized, you're no longer a "one day one deal" website as far as I'm concerned.

Yuck.

slugraduate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slugraduate

Um, honestly. The new layout sucks. Whiole I like the "tab" browsing of the other deals, the rest of the site is too busy. This really gets away from the simplicity that made woot the woot. Don't do it.

BethC

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BethC

I love the redesign! Love love love it!

The stuff I don't love as much is only because I'm not used to it yet, but I'll get used to it soon enough. Thanks for getting rid of the old site annoyances!

bigfatbass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigfatbass

Great. Another cluttered, flickering, mess. Just what we all needed! Seriously, who is at the helm of the wootship? First sales tax, and now even MORE advertising shoved down our throats? At least buy me dinner first, thanks. Woot, you used to be different. You used to be better. You had a certain angle no one else had. An angle so successful, it spawned dozens of imitators. Remember what made you GREAT? Before all the spin-offs? Before all extra nonsense? Before Scott's House of Butts, and the sales tax deterrent? Simplicity. A cool vibe, and simplicity! You have not only lost that, you have run screaming so hard in the other direction, I can't but believe you have all been blinded by the dollar signs. It takes years, and a fair amount of luck, to create brand presence, and 5 minutes to flush it. Woot, you are flushing it. Swirly city. Amazon owns the internet sales day, and, after all, they already own YOU.

The woot thought process:

Woot1: "Hey, this is working great and making money! Let's expand, sell-out to the highest bidder, and then completely disenfranchise the people who were paying us to do nothing but stuff boxes, and write useless item descriptions that make less sense than Phish lyrics!"

Woot2: "And even better! Why don't we clutter up the web page with a bunch of click-through crap to squeeze a few more $.0001s out of the lemmings, ERRRRR, I mean loyal patrons?"

Ah, I see you've already done that.

Posted at 3:21am EST, countdown to staff deletion in 5...4...3...2...

smells like death in here.

bigfatbass

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigfatbass

HA how EXPLETIVE WITHHELD fitting! They are so much a-m-a zon's beeyotch, you can't even say w-o-o ta zon here with out it getting redacted.

Hey woot, I believe Shaq wants to know how you think a certain long river's butt tastes.

smells like death in here.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet

Get rid of the HUGE Woot Plus items, bigger than the main product. Move them to the right side along with the other woot site links. Or just include them in the "deals" link. Put the product info back on the main page. Many wooters will not click on the "read more" link.