I like the multi-day Woot! deals I suppose, and the $5 shipping (temporarily).
I've been a long time user and I know that sites go through redesigns. But wow, I really do not like this one. The biggest issue is that almost all of the changes seem to direct over to new pages, rather than presenting information to the user easily. All it does (from the user's point of view) is to cause more page loading - this will be a problem on mobile devices and on throttled Internet connections. I'm on neither of those and am already tired of it.
While compiling my list I think I figured out (what I think are) the reasons behind all of the changes. You sold out to the man in order to increase page loads, didn't you? You force new page loads to increase ad impressions, giving two middle fingers way up to both your customers and your advertisers.
I started out saying I was disappointed in a few changes but, as I explored the site to greater depth, I switch in to rant/anger mode. Here are my specific issues.
- The Read More link for the product description? Do.Not.Want. I love the stories, but prefer to have them on the main page. Not only does this make it easier for me to read them, but it looks less like I'm spending my work day shopping.
- The page is too dang busy. I have a large iMac (thanks W00t!) and the page still doesn't fit on my screen.
- What is the point of the multiple links over to the other Woot! pages???? You have a static link on the top of the page, the links with the product picture on the right, and the links with the product picture on the bottom. Keep in mind that the static link up on top is Still On The Screen when you are looking at either of the other two links! Srsly?
- Just noticed that you also decided to re-show the product picture, big this time, when mousing over the links on the top. What is with you, did you think that people were unable to figure out what else you were selling?
- The scrolly comment thing is distracting, makes it hard to read the rest of the page or the comments.
- The scrolly comment thing (again) - I immediately understood the function of the two arrows, but the fact that the arrows make the text move in the direction opposite to the arrow kind of annoys me.
- Why must the multi-day deals be on the main pages? It keeps me from seeing the Mort video on the question of the day. How about just making a Deals of the Day category and splatting those links all over the site, instead of taking up homepage real estate.
- Wait, I still have to click the Read More link to see the story Even After I go to the product page?? shocking, unbelivable... different even.
- I see you also had to break the zoom function for the t-shirt.
- I see you added more Flash adverts to each page. Great, more blippy bloopy stuff. I agree with the guy who said it looks like a 1990's web site.
- (not that you are still reading...) Over on the Music Monday page you have links over to YouTube. Why doesn't the element spawn a new tab? Instead, it opens to a broken Flash window on top of the page? I don't see that function called out in the page source, so I presume you are doing it via CSS or HTML5. Unfortunately, I don't want to see the nice Basia video as a pop-over because I cannot continue reading the page I was on while the nice music plays in the background.
- (since I'm ranting, here is an old complaint) Why is this comment box so small? It fills up less than a quarter of the screen width. I presume it is to ensure that we keep comments brief and to the point, but I do not like it.
Finally, I saw your quiz item on Saturday and thought that something like this might happen. In the quiz I answered 'Figure out how to keep using the site like I want to' because that is what I normally do when websites go to the dogs. I've got to tell you, I'm not sure if I'll keep opening the site every morning over coffee.