WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

I'm not trying to brag here, but I've got a great job. I get paid to try to be funny (yes, we can argue about my success, but the point is they pay me to try) and I spend my day surfing the 'net for viral videos, links, and junk to talk about with you guys. I also spend most of the day with Netflix Instant running in the background to give me some much-appreciated background noise.

But once you've blown through all the "30 Rock" seasons and you've watched every episode of "Parks and Recreation" and the British "The Office," what the hell else is left? Maybe you don't even have a sweet gig like me where you can waste a day at work watching drivel; maybe you need help weeding through the crap to find out what's worth your time and what's not worth watching. That's where WootFlix comes in handy! You suggest a TV series or movie, I'll watch it and give you my opinion as to whether or not it's worth adding to your queue.

Because honestly, what the hell else am I gonna do?

This week's show: The FX drama "Lights Out."

What's the pitch? 
Over the hill retired boxing champ comes out of retirement partially to satisfy his competitive urge but mostly to stop his flailing descent into bankruptcy. If that sounds cliché, it's because it is. But it works here.

Who's in it?
Holt McCallany, Stacy Keach, and Catherine McCormack top the list.

So how is it?
Surprisingly good. FX knows how to make good TV ("The Shield," "The Riches," "Sons of Anarchy", "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia") when they want to. McCallany's believable as Patrick "Lights" Leary, the retired champ, and also has enough range to play doting father to his three daughters and loving husband, although sometimes he does come off a little "stereotypical palooka."

If you're not into boxing, the show's got plenty of other subplots to wrap you up, from marital drama to Lights's onset of pugilistic dementia from taking so many fists to the brain to the characters coming to grips with the fact that boxing, their life's work, just isn't relevant any more. It does feel like it borrows from The Fighter a bit with a slimy, no account brother who always seems to screw things up. This isn't just Rocky the TV series, though. The characters are believable, even thinly-veiled Don King stand-in Barry K. Word, the crooked boxing promoter/puppet master played by Reg E. Cathey.

The biggest knock against I can make against it is it exists in a world where people still care about heavyweight fights and boxing champions walk the streets as celebrities. Maybe that still happens in places, but I've never been there. 

If you're looking for a quick series to keep you entertained (there was only one season before it was canceled), give it a try. I liked it enough to burn through the whole season in a couple days. And if you've got a suggestion for a show or movie on Netflix Instant you're thinking of watching or just want to hear my thoughts on, fire away in the comments! I'm not up to much anyway.

warpedspeed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages warpedspeed

Queued! Try Top Gear (BBC) - its great to have in the background while computing.

ruberad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruberad

what the hell else is left?

Answer: Spaced

FX knows how to make good TV

See also Thief starring Andre Braugher. Also cancelled after just one season!

abitterwoman

quality posts: 29 Private Messages abitterwoman

Llandar!

First off, I am sickeningly jealous of your job. I would kill for a job like that. Coincidentally, have you ever watched the series Deadly Women on Investigation Discovery? (It is also on Netflix).

Anyway, after watching all my classic sitcoms like Wings and Cheers for the billionth time, I suppose it is time I should move onto something new. I might give this one a try. You've never steered me wrong before.

P.S- I hope you do more reviews like this in the future.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
ruberad wrote:what the hell else is left?

Answer: Spaced

FX knows how to make good TV

See also Thief starring Andre Braugher. Also cancelled after just one season!

Spaced, for some reason, I just couldn't get into. I should give it another chance.

llandar

warpedspeed wrote:Queued! Try Top Gear (BBC) - its great to have in the background while computing.

Top Gear's great! So long as we're talking about the British version. I'm not even much of a car guy, but they're very entertaining.

ruberad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruberad
llandar wrote:Spaced, for some reason, I just couldn't get into. I should give it another chance.

Yes, maybe get a running start at it with Shaun of the Dead?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Oooooo... Instant gratification shows?

My favorites:
Eureka (Yay Sy-Fy)
Haven
Dr Who (Pick a doctor, start with their first transformation.)
The Guild (it's all webisodes, they get longer as the series got more viewers)

EDIT:
Oh, and Firefly. DUH.

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

I've read the books, but am curious to know if the Dresden Files series was worth watching. Care to take a crack at it?

llandar

DaveInSoCal wrote:I've read the books, but am curious to know if the Dresden Files series was worth watching. Care to take a crack at it?

It's on my list now!

dcobranchi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcobranchi

"Breaking Bad" is a kick ass series.

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages DaveInSoCal
llandar wrote:It's on my list now!

Awesome. Thanks lladnaR (intentional mispelling, or is it?!)

werdwerdus

quality posts: 15 Private Messages werdwerdus

FX also brought us Archer and Louie!

scoopace

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scoopace

Can I be your temp when you go on vacation?

golanta00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages golanta00
DaveInSoCal wrote:I've read the books, but am curious to know if the Dresden Files series was worth watching. Care to take a crack at it?

I watched The Dresden Files and enjoyed it enough to give it 4/5 stars. You will have to suspend belief while watching but that's the genre, right? Paul Blackthorne as Harry Dresden was quite good, as was Terrence Mann as Bob but they didn't quite hit the mark totally with Valerie Cruz as Lt. Murphy. Don't get me wrong, she did well with what she was given; I just thought they could have tweaked her character a bit, in order to strengthen her, making her an equal character to Dresden & Bob. They're not paying me though, so I look forward to your review here Randall.

andrewhime

quality posts: 5 Private Messages andrewhime

You can't mention "good FX series" without mentioning Louie, one of the best shows on TV now, if not THE best.

Also in the top 5 and sorely underrated... The Pitch. No, seriously. SERIOUSLY.

If you enjoy my horrible posts here, you might enjoy my podcast at http://www.valuecube.com

dnewhart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnewhart

I would really like to know what you think of the movie Labyrinth. It's umm.. 'classic.'

orpheus922

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orpheus922

Lights out is pretty great, would have liked to see at least another season, but I wonder how long the show could have continued before exhauting all of the plot lines. as far as other stuff to check out, there is much to choose from:
Luther (on BBC)
Misfits (on BBC)
The Inbetweeners (on BBC)
Burn Notice (USA)
Breaking Bad (AMC)
Firefly (FOX?)
Battle Star Galactica (SyFy)
Dexter (SHO)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Walking Dead (AMC)

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy

Watch the movie Alice (Neco z Alenky). It's a Czech director's take on Alice in Wonderland. Not much dialogue, and you would really have to watch it rather then listen to really not-understand it.

I seriously watched with my mouth hung open for most of the movie. Every time I thought I had the hang of it, something different happened lol

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

jkosmicki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkosmicki

I have NO interest in boxing whatsoever but loved Lights Out. Very solid acting throughout, and while it plays with a cliched storyline, it also does some very interesting little twists to those cliches. What I liked the most about the series is that every character had their own motivations and the plot was really a Venn Diagram of how those varying motivations interacted with each other to create a reality of interference and instability. There was a huge, complex backstory that came up in motivations and passing dialogue that gave the series some heft. I think most people only saw the surface cliches and bailed before they could begin to see the deeper elements.

Sort of how people continue to think that The Killing is about who killed Rosie Larsen. As this show has moved through its second season, it's really about how messed up Linden is - how her past is creating psychological problems in her attempts to be a mother and a good partner to Holder. She NEEDS the redemption of solving a case because it's the only thing positive in her life.

ertolsma

quality posts: 13 Private Messages ertolsma

I've had Firestarter 2 in my queue for ages, but worried if it can hold a candle to the original or will just make me mad by being much worse.

luckicj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckicj

I usually like most anything on FX and LIGHTS OUT was no exception....I loved it! SONS OF ANARCHY (also on FX) is my favorite show ever and definitely worth watching.

llandar

PS not to get too spoilery, but "Lights Out" ends with one of the best/worst twists I've ever seen in a show. Satisfying to the viewer while simultaneously not shying away from reality or settling for a perfect happy ending.

abitterwoman

Ah, by the way, it probably isn't on Netflix but you should watch the movie, "The Room" if you haven't already.

Here is a heartwrenching (hah) clip from the movie.

You're tearing me apart, Lisa!

llandar

abitterwoman wrote:Ah, by the way, it probably isn't on Netflix but you should watch the movie, "The Room" if you haven't already.

Here is a heartwrenching (hah) clip from the movie.

You're tearing me apart, Lisa!

This has a "Rocky Horror" like following. When I lived in LA, screenings of it popped up a few times a month.

abitterwoman

llandar wrote:This has a "Rocky Horror" like following. When I lived in LA, screenings of it popped up a few times a month.

Yeah, I accidentally saw it a few years back when Adult Swim put it on on April Fools day or something. The love scenes were hilarious. They had to censor almost all of their bodies so it looked like two black rectangles going at it.

aaronwooster

quality posts: 9 Private Messages aaronwooster

If you like Mighty Boosh I'd recommend Snuff Box with the deep caveat that there are NSFW language, even with where you work.

llandar

aaronwooster wrote:If you like Mighty Boosh I'd recommend Snuff Box with the deep caveat that there are NSFW language, even with where you work.

Psh. Slydon and I share YouTube clips of the songs all the time.