j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Really

ohhhh, stupid woot filter grabs urls too....blast!

Full story here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/green-lantern-comes-out-as-gay-in-earth-two-20120601

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

Mavyn


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

There's been a lot of gab on this. Most of what I've seen has been 'gee, really? Does it matter or make sense to change the Green Lantern?' It's not like there aren't gay super heroes. (Ok, Marvel v DC, but still.) Instead, this comes across as an effort to 'market' to the LGBT community, with poor sense.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:There's been a lot of gab on this. Most of what I've seen has been 'gee, really? Does it matter or make sense to change the Green Lantern?' It's not like there aren't gay super heroes. (Ok, Marvel v DC, but still.) Instead, this comes across as an effort to 'market' to the LGBT community, with poor sense.

Of course it does. Well, I'd say it's more to market to current public sentiment as driven by enlightened youth (et. al)
Hello bandwagon? I'm jumping on.
Thanks.
~DC

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
j5 wrote:Of course it does. Well, I'd say it's more to market to current public sentiment as driven by enlightened youth (et. al)
Hello bandwagon? I'm jumping on.
Thanks.
~DC



//Bracing for major geek grumbler slap

I don't see why they need to rehash an older character to do this. I have no problem with the Green Lantern or any other comic character being grumpy, or them changing the Green Lantern per se, but I don't see why they don't start writing some new original heros. Is it really that hard? I mean the 52 reboot is fun, a nice easy way to get into some classic heros, but isn't it time we not only updated the stories, but we looked to a new generation of heros?

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
KtCallista wrote://Bracing for major geek grumbler slap

I don't see why they need to rehash an older character to do this. I have no problem with the Green Lantern or any other comic character being grumpy, or them changing the Green Lantern per se, but I don't see why they don't start writing some new original heros. Is it really that hard? I mean the 52 reboot is fun, a nice easy way to get into some classic heros, but isn't it time we not only updated the stories, but we looked to a new generation of heros?

I'm going to be honest. I haven't followed comics since the 90s, so take this as you will. I can understand taking a stale character and injecting some interesting characteristic. It's happened to Spidey more times than I can keep up with. What I do find surprising is the continued prevalence of "Escher girls" in this age of supposed enlightenment.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:I'm going to be honest. I haven't followed comics since the 90s, so take this as you will. I can understand taking a stale character and injecting some interesting characteristic. It's happened to Spidey more times than I can keep up with. What I do find surprising is the continued prevalence of "Escher girls" in this age of supposed enlightenment.



doesn't matter how "enlightened" society is, hormones still rule adolescent boys.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
no1 wrote:doesn't matter how "enlightened" society is, hormones still rule adolescent boys.



I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

bounty42


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
j5 wrote:I'm going to be honest. I haven't followed comics since the 90s, so take this as you will. I can understand taking a stale character and injecting some interesting characteristic.



Yeah, had they done that it would have been slightly different. Alan Scott (to distingush him from the 14 other Green Lanterns) was active up to the last Crisis point, which was 2009-2010. He was a septigenarian, a grandfather figure to several of the youngest heroes, and literal father to a pair of heroes, one a Green Lantern herself, and the other a homosexual male anti-hero/villain (depending on your story arc).

Being one of the Earth-2 (or Golden Age) heroes, he's actually been in the books since the 1920s, and is one of maybe 4 who are actually un-reconed for the most part pre nDCU.

I won't say I'm not interested to see how they play this one, but I really doubt that even the best storyline is going to make up for losing Sentinel, Jade, and Obsidian from continuity.



Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."