charvelguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages charvelguy
auujay wrote:Looks like swapping the RAM out for more should be cheap and easy ($45.99 @ crucial.com for 8GB Kit (4GBx2)DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.35V).

I found a video from Lenovo on swapping the hard drive. What kind of hard drive does this thing support and what would it cost me? The stock drive is too small for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

It takes a sata type 2 drive.
I got these on sale for 80.00 but there are like drives by WD on the market as well. Upgrades to more ram and a 500gb will probably cost around 120.00 give or take the sale items.

The laptop itself reminds me of a Toshiba Satellite A120 series my friend bought about 5-6 years ago minus all the more modern perks - webcam, hdmi, esata. That also has a AMD Turion 2 dual core of similar specs. This has some nice features for a budget laptop. With upgrades it should perform well for many years.

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom

Anybody know what the Actual Model Number is, or did I miss that in the clutter of the new TooBusyWootLook?

A

charvelguy

Linad wrote:pcmag review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363193,00.asp

Difference being this is an AMD processor, not an intel. Its likely to underperform a bit in some areas but the clock speed is a bit higher than what is reviewed above. In fact AMD used to sell these on their site but its no longer being distributed through them - so, its past its heyday but still a decent budget machine with a mix of standards from 2007-2012.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-15/4505-3121_7-34158763.html

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
Epsilon519 wrote:Where does it say if it is a refurb or not?

Woot has gotten snarky and does not make it immediately available. You have to go to details...or I'm going blind.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

julierizzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages julierizzo

This is my work-issued laptop and I will tell you that it is NOT a petite piece of equipment. If you plan to keep it at home, it is fine. But if you plan to lug it around at all, make sure you have a chiropractor on call.

charvelguy

AerodexdotCom wrote:Anybody know what the Actual Model Number is, or did I miss that in the clutter of the new TooBusyWootLook?

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-edge-15/4505-3121_7-34158763.html

Its an 0302

Ptommy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ptommy

But will the graphics support Diablo III???
It looks good from the Blizzard site, but embedded graphics has some limitations. I gotta have my portable DIII fix!

theraptorred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theraptorred

I work as a tech in a small hospital, we have about 80 of these Lenovo Edge laptops in various carts and wall-mounts running for nearly 3 months without any issues. These are nice laptops, and the price is very good.

To this world, I say "No.". Except to bacon.

theglock

quality posts: 3 Private Messages theglock
editorkid wrote:I wish this was on deals.woot so I could downvote it.

I agree, I would stay away from AMD in general.

stele2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stele2

Yeah, not the best specs, but it will be around with the roaches and Twinkies.

On a side note, Woot writers should go on strike over the unfair treatment of their work. Their efforts have been relegated to a second page like second class citizens. Strike! Woot Writers Strike!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

AerodexdotCom wrote:Anybody know what the Actual Model Number is, or did I miss that in the clutter of the new TooBusyWootLook?

From the Specs tab, at the bottom:

In the box:

• Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 0302A22 15.6” Laptop
• 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
• AC Adapter

Hope that helps!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mactaggart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mactaggart
punit wrote:Hi,
What is the battery life without the additional battery?
Punit

I got around 3-3.5 hours.

jward52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jward52

Lenovo's trying to get rid of old, outdated stuff. Only 2gb of ddr3 memory and a skimpy 250gb hard drive cut some serious corners that a buyer might regret later.

dkim11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkim11
theguruguys wrote:Normally I would go for a faster processor at the $330 price point for a laptop. This one scores around 1500 at passmark. I usually try to get a minimun 1800 passmark score on the CPU when I research a budget laptop. That being said, this is a Thinkpad, they are super well built.

For a budget machine this is a pretty good deal, I'd definitely get it for myself if I had the need.

yeah.... but you're referring to lenovo before it moved to china... lenovo is a chinese brand now entirely. no longer a subsidiary of IBM. older thinkpads used to say IBM thinkpad lenovo.... now just lenovo thinkpad... i very much doubt the reliability.

mitchd123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mitchd123

Possible Window 8 upgrade offer is listed on the Lenovo home page. $14.99 for an upgrade from Win7 to Win8

https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/

http://lenovo.com/us/en/#popupupgrade

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull

I'll start by saying that I am a ThinkPad fan. Further, i will state that I feel the ThinkPad EDGE is as much a ThinkPad as the moon is a planet. I have owned quite a few thinkpads over the years, currently have 3, I owned a ThinkPad Edge 15 and hated it. Besides the point that it died about 1 year and 1 month old (I have other thinkpads running strong after 5 years) this thing feels cheap, the keyboard actually left imprints on my screen when closed, and the construction just felt like junk. ThinkPads are known for quality, and this thing does not feel quality. Battery life was aweful, the keyboard felt like something on a system picked up at Walmart and had excessive flex on one side. I hate that Lenovo put a ThinkPad logo on such a pile of garbage. If you get one, please do not judge the ThinkPad line by anything you see in the Edge. It's not a true ThinkPad.

abqjfc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages abqjfc
Epsilon519 wrote:Where does it say if it is a refurb or not?

It's new. Click on the item and the details are there...

jleasia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jleasia

2Mb? Really? I don't see how you will do much of anything w/o adding some memory. Pass.

engineererrant

quality posts: 1 Private Messages engineererrant

Warning: if you abuse the Ctrl key like I do, you will be driven to frustration by Lenovo's decision to offset the standard Ctrl key location to make room for their Fn key in the lower-left. I love Lenovo's laptops' reliability, I just can't stand their default keyboard layout.

nkull

I want to add that others are talking about their luck with T series laptops... This is nothing like a T series (i.e. T60) --- The T series is built like a tank, it has metal roll cages throughout the system along with many other design elements that make the laptop able to put up with abuse. This EDGE does not, you can pick it up and twist it and feel the flex.

nkull

You can swap the Fn and Ctrl key in all ThinkPad laptops through the BIOS, FYI.

engineererrant wrote:Warning: if you abuse the Ctrl key like I do, you will be driven to frustration by Lenovo's decision to offset the standard Ctrl key location to make room for their Fn key in the lower-left. I love Lenovo's laptops' reliability, I just can't stand their default keyboard layout.

nathanaeldavis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanaeldavis

Does this have a cam? It looks like it in the pic but doesn't say.

charvelguy

Its 335.00 with shipping. People are paying that for netbooks with similar specs or less with 2x-3x the battery life and half the bulk. Its a 2007 laptop with some attractive features. Reliability
would be my primary concern.

Go to the Lenovo forums and research it yourself.

http://www.thinkpads.com/forum/

http://forums.lenovo.com/?profile.language=en

Myself, after considering, I'll pass on this and apply $ to a mac this time.

charvelguy

nathanaeldavis wrote:Does this have a cam? It looks like it in the pic but doesn't say.

specs say yes.

Rbutler752

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rbutler752

I bought one of these from the lenovo outlet 2 weeks ago with an i5 and Intel WIDI for $315 including shipping. If you wait it out you can get a deal there. Just check on it every or two.

benfdc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benfdc

Is the screen on this unit matte or glossy (AntiGlare or VibrantView in Lenovo-speak)?

If it’s matte, I’m probably gonna bite. $350 for a Win 8 Pro laptop with a matte screen and decent build quality is tough to quarrel with.

donkeeler15

quality posts: 1 Private Messages donkeeler15

How much is it to buy office?

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
recursional wrote:4gb I woud have bought by now. Thinking about it instead.

For about $42 you can make this 8gb. RAM is cheap - don't let that stop you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

jchkao1125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao1125
bmrbill wrote:Here's a Notebook review.

Thanks for the partial review, but unfortunately, it is not the same computer. For example, one has a Turion 2 processor while the other has an Intel i3 processor.

ryancalderoni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryancalderoni
theguruguys wrote:That being said, this is a Thinkpad, they are super well built.

These Thinkpad Edge models are closer to the Ideapad than the Thinkpad in terms of durability from what I can tell. If you want that classic Thinkpad toughness you really need to get a T model.

Not to mention this CPU sucks, and the resolution on a 15.6" screen is the same as my 11" Air screen resolution.

jchkao1125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao1125
Rbutler752 wrote:I bought one of these from the lenovo outlet 2 weeks ago with an i5 and Intel WIDI for $315 including shipping. If you wait it out you can get a deal there. Just check on it every or two.

Was it new or a refurbished one? Thanks.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
nkull wrote:I'll start by saying that I am a ThinkPad fan. Further, i will state that I feel the ThinkPad EDGE is as much a ThinkPad as the moon is a planet. I have owned quite a few thinkpads over the years, currently have 3, I owned a ThinkPad Edge 15 and hated it. Besides the point that it died about 1 year and 1 month old (I have other thinkpads running strong after 5 years) this thing feels cheap, the keyboard actually left imprints on my screen when closed, and the construction just felt like junk. ThinkPads are known for quality, and this thing does not feel quality. Battery life was aweful, the keyboard felt like something on a system picked up at Walmart and had excessive flex on one side. I hate that Lenovo put a ThinkPad logo on such a pile of garbage. If you get one, please do not judge the ThinkPad line by anything you see in the Edge. It's not a true ThinkPad.

In the future the moon could get reclassified as a planet. LOL
http://www.universetoday.com/85749/is-the-moon-a-planet/

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

Ditto that for the X201 laptop (not tablet). I embaressingly had an extremely heavy object strike my X201 oblitterating the screen. I procurred a relacement screen for less than $100 out of Canada and there was no damage to the frame even though the object stuck across the entrire top of the laptop. I replaced the screen and thiis is the computer I am typing on now. You could never tell.

If someone asks, I will admit to what the object was ;)

nkull wrote:I want to add that others are talking about their luck with T series laptops... This is nothing like a T series (i.e. T60) --- The T series is built like a tank, it has metal roll cages throughout the system along with many other design elements that make the laptop able to put up with abuse. This EDGE does not, you can pick it up and twist it and feel the flex.

Rizley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rizley

I could be wrong but this looks like the correct hardware needed for a hackentosh. Sometimes the harddrive on them are a little larger but if you know how to tweak it to get it to think its really the "other" pc you can load the "other" os on these

Mark Rizley

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels
donkeeler15 wrote:How much is it to buy office?

If you nned outlook but not (access or publisher) you can get 2010 home and business for $220.

charvelguy

Rizley wrote:I could be wrong but this looks like the correct hardware needed for a hackentosh. Sometimes the harddrive on them are a little larger but if you know how to tweak it to get it to think its really the "other" pc you can load the "other" os on these

That depends on the motherboard bios tweakability and processor. With this being an AMD, I would say no, as most all AMD builds I've seen are not Hackintosh.
Its about architecture. Hackintosh are usually Intel based motherboards - same as Apple.

ahiko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahiko

Bought it last night. Hopefully it will be a good buy. I've been dealing with 1gb RAM laptops for a few years now and needed a cheap upgrade. I will be using this to do some C++ and Java programming for school.

tomsinclairjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomsinclairjr

I think 2 GB memory is pretty bad. Should be 4GB AT LEAST.

tommytom02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tommytom02

I have this laptop issued to me by my employer. The specs may not be that great, but it is a solid performer for light duty (internet, office, minesweeper) work and it's quiet. If you're still one of the folks that wants XP don't bother with this unit; it's a crap sandwich with XP. My only design complaints are that my thumbs graze the touch pad and cause movement and clicks, and there is no HDD LED. Modifying the settings of the touch pad was ineffective so I disabled it. Thankfully, there is a nipple mouse and thumb buttons.