WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's Music Monday! And more importantly, it's the start of our "Dad Week" here on the blog. In honor of Father's Day, Scott'll be looking at some of the best dad songs of all time. Join him after the jump for five tracks, a link to our Spotify playlist, and lots of comments explaining what songs left out!

Okay, you're all thinking it, so why save it for last? Let's go ahead and watch Scott drop the biggest, baddest, most memorable father-bomb there is.

Harry Chapin - Cat's In The Cradle

If you're male, and you have a father, this song makes you hold back tears. Maybe you act tough in front of your guy friends but don't worry, we all know they're feeling the same way. This ode to misspent fatherdom is sappy, schmaltzy, goofy, and every guy on the planet can recognize it in about three notes. Ladies, you've got Titanic, and us men have "Cat's In The Cradle." Such is life.

And now, we can all move on. However, before we jump into the next four, remember our Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Good Intro Licks and we think you'll be singing along with the guitar. Just on't rock out just yet, because you've still got some dad songs coming…

The Beach Boys - Child Is Father Of The Man

What other band unites old Conservatives, young Hipsters, middle-aged Audiophiles and people who watched early 90s TV? Brian Wilson mastered studio work to the point of inspiring The Beatles, but he's usually remembered for singing about girls, cars and love. It's no wonder this song is simultaneously wholesome and bizarre… just like a Dad should be! They had a life before you were born, you know.

U2 - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car

Bono and his devil horns are clearly using "Daddy" in a dark, sinister, ironic way, but this song has a great beat, and does cover the major role of a father: protecting their kids till it hurts. And let's face it, if one of Bono's kids crashed their car, he'd probably just buy them a dealership and be done with it.

Sinead O'Connor - Daddy I'm Fine NSFW lyrics

Sinead O'Connor has been known for controversy, but this song… well, you might find it lyrically daring, but listen to what it really says. "Daddy, I'm Fine" is a letter from a girl who wanted to be a rock star and went out and did it. Reverse the genders and it's pretty much a million other rock songs about wild boys making their fathers proud. So why can't a girl do the same thing? Maybe Dad doesn't care to hear all the intimate details, but to know his daughter found her own life where she can be happy and successful… well, isn't that a father's true goal?

Foreigner - Juke Box Hero

Call it vanity if you wanna, but this one goes out to my dad, who once told me how much he loved this classic rocker. It's fair, too, because every dad was once a young man, and what young man hasn't felt the siren song of the electric guitar? This one's for you, Mike Lydon. Sincerely, your loving and grateful son.

Remember, Father's Day is this coming Sunday, so wrap those knives, beer and steak early! Also maybe take a moment or two and throw YOUR favorite daddy-type song in the comments below. Plus everybody's welcome to join us in our Turntable.fm room room for our weekly Music Monday mix. And finally, be aware that some images come from their corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

abitterwoman

quality posts: 28 Private Messages abitterwoman

Mike and the Mechanics The Living Years always reminds me of my Dad. I know he really liked the song because it reminded him of his own father who was a hard man to talk to. Hearing it again now makes me a bit teary eyed for the opposite reason. It makes me wonder if my Dad really knows what a wonderful parent he was, and still is.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

How about:

Father and Child - Cat Stevens on Tea for the Tillerman

My Father's Eyes - Eric Clapton on "Pilgrim"

or if you're feeling morose:

Sam Stone - John Prine on "Haystack"

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

ndaipori

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndaipori

Terribly poignant is Queen's Father to Son from Queen II. Also, Queen! I mean come on...

nickelarcade

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nickelarcade

"Watching Scotty Grow" by Bobby Goldsboro is a sappy favorite (Father to Son):

"The Best of Times" by Dream Theater is a great Son to Father song:

aaronwooster

quality posts: 9 Private Messages aaronwooster

My little brother is a musician and has "Leader of the Band" by Dan Fogelberg as his personal touchstone for our father.

Inarguably, my favorite Dad song is "A Boy Named Sue", although not directly applicable to my own forebear.

velledriver

quality posts: 1 Private Messages velledriver

Black Stone Cherry-Things my Father Said..brings a tear to my eye everytime. Things my father said

\m/-(0.0)-\m/

hefty244

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hefty244

Daddy's Hands by Holly Dunn. An older (and prolly hokey)country song that Daddy and I danced to at my wedding. Tearing up a little just thinking about it!

MarvinDog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarvinDog

Dad I'm in Jail by Was (not Was).

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99

"Winter" by Tori Amos is a good daddy song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IsiAfjhck

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

My Old Man - Steve Goodman
Father and Daughter - Paul Simon
Leader of the Band - Dan Fogelberg
Memo to My Son - Randy Newman
When He Cries - John Gorka

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I was looking for the song Call Daddy From The Mines - Johnny Cash. I couldn't find that one but it did remind me of a better song he sang once.

Here's the Original

majit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages majit

This is a great tune called:
"My Daddy's Not My Daddy Anymore."

Hearing it always brings a tear to my eye. This video also includes the lyrics so you can sing-along.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

"Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" most famously done by Wayne Newton. I believe Charlie Rich and Duane Eddy also covered it. Schmaltzy, but also poignant for a child of divorce.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

dell2342

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dell2342

The entire album "The Wall" is about a guy who can't get over having no father.

avielectron

quality posts: 2 Private Messages avielectron

Having never knew my father (think bruce the shark from finding nemo) i can only guess what it feels like growing up and discovering that your father is a real person... that being said i grew up and learned that my mother is a real person.. and probably why i had no father.. so all that angst and feelings i probably talk about when im drinking is summed up in my fathers day song. Home by Sevendust.

ownedbymypugs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ownedbymypugs

This was my mother's favorite daddy song. She gave me the 45 of it when I was about six. I still love it.

Mike Douglas - The Men in My Little Girls Life

From my generation, I have always loved The Things We've Handed Down by Marc Cohn

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

"Oh, Daddy" by Adrian Belew is a lot more lighthearted that most of these.

I saw him perform a solo acoustic show at Shank Hall in Milwaukee (the name of which comes from a movie) in the early '90s, and I'm pretty sure this daughter, then a young teen, was working the merch table.

And there's this amazing sequence from the wonderfully weird Monkee's movie Head:

That's Toni Basil with Davy. I believe she choreographed this, since that's what she does.

There's a cameo at the end that will be a surprise if you haven't seen the movie. Or this clip. Or read about it somewhere.

sexytigerwoods

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sexytigerwoods

A Daddy Song for a different holiday.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

"Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle.

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

on a lighter note, the song Discipline Daddy was one of my faves from Arrested Development

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

JOHNNY RIVERS- " MEMPHIS " - YouTube What? I'm a total sucker for this one.

Don't Look Down - The Sugarplastic - YouTube Fantasy fiction, but very factual in sentiment.

Jux County live at the Ogden Theater in 1995 performing Simon's Eyes - YouTube Totally rad band. Can't really understand much lyrics in this recording, but the singer / guitarist was inspired by the birth of his first child.

Then of course there is Dad [NSFW] and This Wound Will Never Heal from NoMeansNo, and Lisa's Father [NSFW] from Alice Donut that probably shouldn't make it on any Father's Day list, but are great reminders that being a good dad is very, very important.

Be careful with those last ones. *NOT* for the faint of heart.

mitchd123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mitchd123

Having been a wedding DJ for many years...don't forget the daughters:

Al Martino - Daddy little girl

or Sunrise Sunset

or "If tomorrow never comes" by Garth. Picture the soldier leaving his young child and heading into battle, or the fire fighter or police officer who tucks their child in before going on duty.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-4144836036984721479&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash>

For one of the worst fathers ever.....the song requested by the an angry daughter/bride who was told that she had to dance with her natural father at her wedding. Her natural father was in prison for most of her life...and she quite appropriately picked...unforgettable :-)

And for the best Father to us all we must never forget:

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

OmyG, Harry Chapin was only 38 when he died?
We saw him live so many times.

I swear, Cat's Cradle ruined my kids! My husband took to the heart and spent every moment he could with them. Doesn't know when to stop. They are adults now and he is still doing it.

I know it was Cat's in the Cradle that did it!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

LarryLars

quality posts: 67 Private Messages LarryLars

Scott, you are soooo right about "Cat's In The Cradle" making us misty-eyed. Since there are a lot of awesome songs listed above, I will give one not yet listed:

"Ships" by Barry Manilow (this song was written and composed by Ian Hunter, former lead singer of Mott the Hoople).

Posting a song for your dad was touching.

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

mossygreen

quality posts: 74 Private Messages mossygreen

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Still loving that Monkees bit.

Another one that could follow that Was Not Was tune: Hissanol - Swell Song http://www.myspace.com/hissanol/music/songs/swell-song-40341709

Ampdjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ampdjr
dell2342 wrote:The entire album "The Wall" is about a guy who can't get over having no father.

Glad someone else gets it... Very sad album.

WAIT!!! What?

craigthom

dontwantaname wrote:OmyG, Harry Chapin was only 38 when he died?
We saw him live so many times.

I swear, Cat's Cradle ruined my kids! My husband took to the heart and spent every moment he could with them. Doesn't know when to stop. They are adults now and he is still doing it.

I know it was Cat's in the Cradle that did it!

I only saw him once, but I'm glad that I did. I was an (unpaid) usher at the Fox in Atlanta, and usually, after we got our assignments, we'd go sit down front and watch the end of the sound check. Most performers ignored us. One (Cheap Trick) made us leave. Harry Chapin came down off the stage and thanked us for helping with the show. Then he shook hands with all the guys and kissed all the girls.

I've rarely seen someone interact as well with any audience, too.

"Harry, it sucks!"

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99
craigthom wrote:"Oh, Daddy" by Adrian Belew is a lot more lighthearted that most of these.

I saw him perform a solo acoustic show at Shank Hall in Milwaukee (the name of which comes from a movie) in the early '90s, and I'm pretty sure this daughter, then a young teen, was working the merch table.

And there's this amazing sequence from the wonderfully weird Monkee's movie Head:

That's Toni Basil with Davy. I believe she choreographed this, since that's what she does.

There's a cameo at the end that will be a surprise if you haven't seen the movie. Or this clip. Or read about it somewhere.

Never saw that Monkees clip before, trippy!

craigthom

tedzilla99 wrote:Never saw that Monkees clip before, trippy!

You should watch the whole movie. This is one of the less trippy scenes.

Head was written by Bob Rafelson and Jack Nicholson. Dennis Hopper makes a brief appearance in the film and was probably hanging out the whole time. Refelson, Nicholson, and Hopper made Easy Rider the next year.

Head is a weird movie. Really weird.