8%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
TiVo Premiere Elite DVR
$299.99 + $5 Standard OR $14 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

here is a video from bart williams director of marketing. Tivo Premier elite is the highest product in the product line as of 2011

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Recording 4 shows at the same time with 4 tuners built in to this TiVo unit is a fine feature to have.

kd1357

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kd1357
borntohunt wrote:Recording 4 shows at the same time with 4 tuners built in to this TiVo unit is a fine feature to have.

4 shows at a time? Sheesh, I didn't even realize there were that many shows on t.v.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

Check out the many TiVo forums. These babies are Unix-based, and you can easily connect them to your network, TiVo is indeed a magic box! But watch out for what service you select. Lifetime is still a better deal, but it means "lifetime of the unit", not you. However, http://weaknees.com rebuilds them all for a flat rate, no matter what went wrong.

gantt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt

If you're confused like I was...
It seems the Premiere Elite was renamed the Premiere XL4.

If you go to TiVo's website, you'll see only the XL4 shown in the current lineup.

I don't know why this is still advertised as an Elite, but I'm assuming it's old stock and therefore everything has the old name.

And the price on TiVo's site is $399.99.

nageltr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nageltr

You guys are still confused. There are 3 Tivos in the current lineup: Premiere, Premiere Elite, and Premiere XL4. I just got an email from them today offering the Elite (this one) for $249. The XL4 is the one with 4 tuners and a TB drive in it.

Edit: I am confused too. Just read the write up (which I should have done before posting, shame on me) and these specs do match the one that is called XL4 now. And it was $100 more from Tivo.

gantt

nageltr wrote:You guys are still confused. There are 3 Tivos in the current lineup: Premiere, Premiere Elite, and Premiere XL4. I just got an email from them today offering the Elite (this one) for $249. The XL4 is the one with 4 tuners and a TB drive in it.

Sorry, no.

From TiVo:

"Are there any differences between the Premiere XL4 and TiVo Premiere Elite?

No. With four tuners, a two-terabyte hard drive, and easy access to broadband entertainment, the TiVo Premiere XL4 provides the same great features as the formerly offered TiVo Premiere Elite."

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin
nageltr wrote:You guys are still confused. There are 3 Tivos in the current lineup: Premiere, Premiere Elite, and Premiere XL4. I just got an email from them today offering the Elite (this one) for $249. The XL4 is the one with 4 tuners and a TB drive in it.

No, it's Premiere, Premiere XL, and Premiere Elite (now XL4)
The XL has 2 tuners. The Elite/XL4 is the 4 tuner model. $300 is a great price for it.

investr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages investr

and...we're still waiting for the DirecTivo...

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
mvsopen wrote:Check out the many TiVo forums. These babies are Unix-based, and you can easily connect them to your network, TiVo is indeed a magic box! But watch out for what service you select. Lifetime is still a better deal, but it means "lifetime of the unit", not you. However, http://weaknees.com rebuilds them all for a flat rate, no matter what went wrong.

OK so if it's lifetime of the unit, I would go for that even though I am too old to count on a lot of years. I'll just will it to one of my kids and that will make it a good "investment".

Do I have that right?

pixelpusher220

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pixelpusher220
investr wrote:and...we're still waiting for the DirecTivo...

I was milking a Series 1 DirecTivo till the almost football strike last year and figured I'd given them long enough and the ever rising NFL Ticket price.

Got my one of these babies after attempting to live with the Verizon DVR. Ouchie!

Even with just 2 of us in the house, I routinely see all four tuners going.

I'm just hoping they get their heads out of their asses and release the Tivo Extender modules to consumers. I think I heard that Dish was now coming out with a DVR that would drive 5 TVs around the house.

Tivo needs to understand that by letting this beast be a media center, they'll sell a whole lot more of them than trying to get people to buy 4 tivos, even the $99 ones.

phatbhuda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phatbhuda

Yay, I finally get myself a TiVo Premiere! And at a third the price of my TiVo 3 :/

phatbhuda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phatbhuda
speedoo wrote:OK so if it's lifetime of the unit, I would go for that even though I am too old to count on a lot of years. I'll just will it to one of my kids and that will make it a good "investment".

Do I have that right?

Yup!
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28

djbowman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djbowman

For 4-500 you can build a htpc that does all if this with no monthly fees ... And oh yeah it's a computer to

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
phatbhuda wrote:Yup!
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28

Thanks! Looks like I'll be in for 1.

gogyroswin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gogyroswin
djbowman wrote:For 4-500 you can build a htpc that does all if this with no monthly fees ... And oh yeah it's a computer to

I hear what your saying but this thing does on-demand as well.

kovie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kovie

How does this compare to the announced but not yet for sale Ceton Q, which is supposed to have 6 tuners, a Blu-Ray player, 2TB HD, ethernet, WiFi, and cable box functionality via CableCard? I.e. basically an HTPC without the PC part. It should also be able to stream content from one's local network and the internet. I can't see it selling for less than $400, and even then it would be a bargain.

Oh yeah, no subscription fees as it's based on Windows Media Center.

Myself, I already have a decent HTPC with Ceton's 4 tuner InfiniTV PCIe card so I don't need either of these devices, but I might end up getting the Q for my mom when it comes out. Just wondering if this has any advantages over it. Does it record ATSC OTA? The Q doesn't, I believe.

Kovie

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

So if I don't pay the subscription fee, is this thing just a paperweight? Or can I press the record button to recording things manually?

cltmhorn

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cltmhorn
Lord John Whorfin wrote:The XL has 2 tuners. The Elite/XL4 is the 4 tuner model. $300 is a great price for it.

Another very significant difference between the XL & the XL4 is that the XL supports ATSC decoding, while the XL4 supports only QAM and cablecard. Which means that this tivo is *only* useful if you subscribe to cable. It is not able to decode over the air HDTV.

cltmhorn

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cltmhorn
djbowman wrote:For 4-500 you can build a htpc that does all if this with no monthly fees ... And oh yeah it's a computer to

For the price of this unit + a lifetime subscription, you can also have no monthly fees. That comes to about $700 (if you know someone who already has a tivo) or $800 (if you don't).

Another thing to consider is that lifetime subscription effectively puts equity into the tivo because you can sell your tivo+lifetime and recover some of those costs. Check ebay for the resale price differences between lifetime tivo's and non-lifetime tivos.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12
lwang wrote:So if I don't pay the subscription fee, is this thing just a paperweight? Or can I press the record button to recording things manually?

U would think it may not work as it needs to download content - BUT you can manually record a specific channel at a specific time for a specific duration...so perhaps you still could do it. We bought lifetime & so far so good - we've had it at least 6 yrs (bought pre-kids, so I know it was before kids) and no problems. I still love it. I have no clue which one we have - that is my Dh's job in this house. He is a techno geek & I am just the poor fool muddling along behind him trying to figure out what buttons on which remote I am supposed to use this week. My Tivo is the only thing easy in that department.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

mschulte59

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mschulte59

This unit will NOT work with OTA antenna - "(does not support satellite, AT&T U-verse, antenna or analog cable)".

I was almost in for one...

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
beck12 wrote:U would think it may not work as it needs to download content - BUT you can manually record a specific channel at a specific time for a specific duration...so perhaps you still could do it. We bought lifetime & so far so good - we've had it at least 6 yrs (bought pre-kids, so I know it was before kids) and no problems. I still love it. I have no clue which one we have - that is my Dh's job in this house. He is a techno geek & I am just the poor fool muddling along behind him trying to figure out what buttons on which remote I am supposed to use this week. My Tivo is the only thing easy in that department.

If that is the case, I can get one of those remote controls that turn the tivo on at a certain time, change it to a certain channel and press record.

But how can I change the channels on the other tuners? Switch to tuner #2 and change channels, then press record? Or are those multi-tuner gizmos only available via timer recordings?

rshouts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rshouts
beck12 wrote:U would think it may not work as it needs to download content - BUT you can manually record a specific channel at a specific time for a specific duration...so perhaps you still could do it. We bought lifetime & so far so good - we've had it at least 6 yrs (bought pre-kids, so I know it was before kids) and no problems. I still love it. I have no clue which one we have - that is my Dh's job in this house. He is a techno geek & I am just the poor fool muddling along behind him trying to figure out what buttons on which remote I am supposed to use this week. My Tivo is the only thing easy in that department.

I had the TivoHD when I had cable (switched to Dish). Once I stopped subscribing to the Tivo service the TivoHD would no longer record. As I didn't have cable anymore, I could only use OTA. I could only change channels manually, as there was no guide information, and any attempt to record resulted in a dialog box informing me that a service subscription was required. I'm sure that the Premiere Elite has the same restriction.

Syndil

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Syndil

People still pay this kind of money for a DVR? Cute.

moolb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moolb

This was on sale last week for $350 off their website. Argh, I went ahead and took the plunge. Oh well what is fifty dollars right?

dropzone9540

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dropzone9540
investr wrote:and...we're still waiting for the DirecTivo...

TiVo says it's back.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

Do yourself a favor. Don't buy any of this garbage that makes you pay a subscription to record a show. Here is a link to a great DVR.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-MDR515H-F7-500GB-HDD-and-DVD-R-with-Digital-Tuner/15080509

SC0TLANDF0REVER

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SC0TLANDF0REVER
Syndil wrote:People still pay this kind of money for a DVR? Cute.

Just like a large portion of people still pay their cable co for a DVR that doesn't do what TiVo does so well.

Cheers,
Dave

lojac963

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lojac963

I only see one cable card slot. My TivoHD now has 2 single stream cards (2 card slots) because the multi cards the tech brought out were defective. I have only heard of the multi stream cards doing 2 tuners and even at that when I called Cox Communications they acted like I was speaking alien when I told them I needed a cable card for my Tivo.

Where would one even get a single card that can tune 4 separate signals??

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy
mvsopen wrote:Check out the many TiVo forums. These babies are Unix-based

They run Linux, which means that they're very easily modified. For example, if you want more storage, you can just buy a huge hard drive and add it to your unit. My old TiVo came with an 80 gig drive (80 hours standard def) so I upgraded it to a 250 gig drive (250 hours). My current DVR has a 2 Tb drive so I can record what I want without having to delete things to manage space. If you have the skills necessary to replace the hard drive in your PC, you can upgrade the drive in your TiVo.

As far as four tuners go, having multiple is a great thing. I don't have to give up recording an episode of The Doctor so my wife can record Woz on DWTS.

mvsopen wrote:But watch out for what service you select. Lifetime is still a better deal, but it means "lifetime of the unit", not you.

I've sold TiVo units on eBay with Lifetime service; that service transferred to the new owners with no hassle. It's a pretty good deal.

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

IcedCorn

quality posts: 7 Private Messages IcedCorn

I love TiVo. A lot of people swear by HTPC's and Windows Media Center and a TV Tuner card blah blah blah.

However, there is only one TiVo interface. There is no other DVR that comes close to this experience.

First, a 4 Tuner DVR is awesome. Yes there's a PC tuner card that also has 4 tuners. But I want to use my PC to do stuff like play games. I don't want to dedicate a separate big tower box to recording and then use networking to all my TVs.

Having one box with this amount of recording space all with the Tivo interface is great.

Tivo just updated their software so their YouTube and Netflix apps are more like what you see on your video game consoles.

Tivo records "suggestions" based on what you watch and how many thumbs up/down you give a show. It's a very cool way to discover new shows. It's also saved my butt when I forgot to record a EURO 2012 soccer match. It knows I like soccer so it records it for me as a suggestion. Phew. You can turn it off of course.

New to the Premiere is the ability to stream shows from one Premiere to another. While this only applies if you have more than one TiVo Premiere, it's great. In the past you would have to transfer an entire recording from box a to box b, and if it had the broadcast flag, you were SOL. However with streaming there's no broadcast flag to worry about and even going from one tivo to another wirelessly is very lag-free.

I've had Tivos for about 10 years now. I've used Cable TV DVRs and I even started with the now defunct ReplayTV. TiVo is the gold standard of DVRs. Yes, you can make your own DVR with a paper clip, a TV Tuner, an old hard drive and PC and some string , but it's not TiVo. There's a reason why they can charge a monthly fee.

(End blind devotion) LOL

gantt

Information I've seen is that an M-card will support 6 streams - and that was a card cable providers were supplying 2 years ago.

lojac963 wrote:I only see one cable card slot. My TivoHD now has 2 single stream cards (2 card slots) because the multi cards the tech brought out were defective. I have only heard of the multi stream cards doing 2 tuners and even at that when I called Cox Communications they acted like I was speaking alien when I told them I needed a cable card for my Tivo.

Where would one even get a single card that can tune 4 separate signals??

deathopie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages deathopie

Can anyone explain Moca in layman's terms. I have a Tivo HD XL now that I'd move to my bedroom if I got this and have the Elite in my living room. Moca sets up comms between the two thru the cable lines?

EDIT: I guess it wouldn't work unless I had 2 premieres. Oh well.

zymurgeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zymurgeek
lojac963 wrote:I only see one cable card slot. [...]Where would one even get a single card that can tune 4 separate signals??

I have this unit connected to Verizon FiOS. Verizon offers MStream cards and you only need one those in the 4-tuner Elite.

ocnomad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ocnomad

Lifetime isn't included at that price? That is a lot of money for a fancy VCR. Why not just get the cable company one, or torrent?

ultrawolf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ultrawolf
IcedCorn wrote:I love TiVo. A lot of people swear by HTPC's and Windows Media Center and a TV Tuner card blah blah blah.

However, there is only one TiVo interface. There is no other DVR that comes close to this experience.

First, a 4 Tuner DVR is awesome. Yes there's a PC tuner card that also has 4 tuners. But I want to use my PC to do stuff like play games. I don't want to dedicate a separate big tower box to recording and then use networking to all my TVs.

Having one box with this amount of recording space all with the Tivo interface is great.

Tivo just updated their software so their YouTube and Netflix apps are more like what you see on your video game consoles.

Tivo records "suggestions" based on what you watch and how many thumbs up/down you give a show. It's a very cool way to discover new shows. It's also saved my butt when I forgot to record a EURO 2012 soccer match. It knows I like soccer so it records it for me as a suggestion. Phew. You can turn it off of course.

New to the Premiere is the ability to stream shows from one Premiere to another. While this only applies if you have more than one TiVo Premiere, it's great. In the past you would have to transfer an entire recording from box a to box b, and if it had the broadcast flag, you were SOL. However with streaming there's no broadcast flag to worry about and even going from one tivo to another wirelessly is very lag-free.

I've had Tivos for about 10 years now. I've used Cable TV DVRs and I even started with the now defunct ReplayTV. TiVo is the gold standard of DVRs. Yes, you can make your own DVR with a paper clip, a TV Tuner, an old hard drive and PC and some string , but it's not TiVo. There's a reason why they can charge a monthly fee.

(End blind devotion) LOL

Ditto for me. I built up an HTPC but found there were just too many hickups: system glitches, shows not appearing in the listings, channel not found by the tuner (only one, but one I wanted - that was some issue with my cable companies mapping of clear QAM channels). The Tivo is not the cheapest option, but it's really seamless and reliable. That last part is very important if you want your non-techie wife to enjoy the device too. Note: I have an older Tivo HD, not this Premier.

ultrawolf

Nell4620

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Nell4620

Can someone please take pity on me and tell me in simple words if/how I can use TiVo - I've always wanted one. I have digital cable box/DVR I rent monthly from cable company. If I get this do I return the cable box and get a non-DVR box from them? TiVo works through that? I have two TVs on digital cable boxes - only one with the DVR. Pretend I'm your favorite Granny and help me out here.