WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

For Dad Week on the Woot blog, we salute that warm, reassuring presence that saw us through the travails of childhood: television. For my generation of American males, so much of our conception of fatherhood comes from sitcoms, it's amazing we can raise our kids without a laugh track. Can you identify these eight tele-Dads? True trivia show-offs can name the shows, the characters, and the actors who played them...

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I can only name these:
1. Family Ties Dad
4. Happy Days Dad
6. Addams Family Dad

I could have done a better job with cartoon Dads :\

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

ltjuanito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ltjuanito

Since three others were already guessed:
2. Elaine Bennis' dad
4. Happy Day's dad
7. Different Stroke's dad

Have no idea who the others are...

veebot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages veebot

1. Michael Gross played Michael Keaton on Family Ties
2. No clue
3. ? played ? on The Patty Duke Show
4. ? played Howard Cunningham on Happy Days
5. No clue
6. John Astin played Gomez Addams on The Addams Family
7. Conrad Baines played Mr. Drummond on Diff'rent Strokes
8. ? played Darnell "Crabman" on My Name is Earl

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

William Shallert not only played Martin Lane, Patty's father and Cathy's uncle, he also played Mr. Pomfritt, a teacher of Doby and Maynard.

In the '70s he was Nancy Drew's father.

He did a lot character actor roles in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. In the '80s he did a lot of reunions of '50s and '60s shows, whether he was in the originals or not, probably because he has a face we recognize from back then.

He is my second most favorite TV character actor after Charles Lane.

ishoplive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ishoplive
craigthom wrote:William Shallert not only played Martin Lane, Patty's father and Cathy's uncle, he also played Mr. Pomfritt, a teacher of Doby and Maynard.

He did a lot character actor roles in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. In the '80s he did a lot of reunions of '50s and '60s shows, whether he was in the originals or not, probably because he has a face we recognize from back then.

Yeah! They're very kind!

ishoplive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ishoplive
ishoplive wrote:Yeah! They're very kind!

kokofh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokofh

His real name was Tom Bosley.

4. ? played Howard Cunningham on Happy Days

ej2bonner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ej2bonner

1 - Michael Keaton - Family Ties - ?
2 - ? - ? - ?
3 - ? - ? - ?
4 - Arthur Cunningham - Happy Days - Tom Bosley
5 - ? - ? - ?
6 - Gomez Addams - The Addams Family
7 - Phillip Drummond - Different Strokes - ?
8 - Crab Man - Earl

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
ej2bonner wrote:1 - Michael Keaton - Family Ties - ?
2 - ? - ? - ?
3 - ? - ? - ?
4 - Arthur Cunningham - Happy Days - Tom Bosley
5 - ? - ? - ?
6 - Gomez Addams - The Addams Family
7 - Phillip Drummond - Different Strokes - ?
8 - Crab Man - Earl

Howard Cunningham. Arthur was Fonzie's first name.

Gomez was played by John Astin. Patty Duke's husband and Sean Astin's father IRL.

The Keaton's father's first name was Stephen.

Elaine's father was Alton Benes. I used to know the actor's name, he was often a thug in films in the 50s & 60s.

RWoodward

RWoodward wrote:Howard Cunningham. Arthur was Fonzie's first name.

Gomez was played by John Astin. Patty Duke's husband and Sean Astin's father IRL.

The Keaton's father's first name was Stephen.

Elaine's father was Alton Benes. I used to know the actor's name, he was often a thug in films in the 50s & 60s.

Number 5 appears to be Brian Doyle Murray, who was the bubble boy's father on Seinfeld. (Bill Murray's brother). [edit] Or not, now that I look at the answers.

bmac905

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmac905

5. Liz Lemon's (Tina Fey) Dad on 30 Rock.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
ej2bonner wrote:1 - Michael Keaton - Family Ties

You conflated the actor (Michael Gross) and the character (Steven Keaton) and came up with the guy who played Beetlejuice

1. Steven Keaton - Family Ties
2. "Elanie's Dad" - Seinfeld
3. "The Dad" (no clue of the character's name) - The Patty Duke Show
4. Howard Cunningham - Happy Days
5. No clue (is that Buck Henry?)
6. Gomez Addams - The Addams Family
7. Phillip Drummond - Diff'rent Strokes
8. "Crabman" - My Name Is Earl

Haven't seen Buck Henry since SNL days, but if that *is* him, it would make sense because that would mean it would be a fairly recent show and its been at least 15 years since I have watched much TV (surprised I knew Crabman)

RWoodward

Interesting bit of trivia on Lawrence Tierney, who played Alton Benes, Elaine's father in one episode of Seinfeld. He was originally conceived as a recurring character, but Tierney's behavior on the set creeped out several members of the cast and crew. The legend says that he was fooling around with a kitchen knife from the set, which later turned up missing. After that incident they dropped the character. It was also discussed that Mary Tyler Moore be cast to play Elaine's mother, but that never materialized.

Alphagrey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Alphagrey

Your childhood TV father influences included Patty Duke's dad, Family Ties' Dad, and "Crabman"? Obviously you've been childish for a very long time...oh wait, this is Woot.com, my bad, carry on.

RWoodward

Alphagrey wrote:Your childhood TV father influences included Patty Duke's dad, Family Ties' Dad, and "Crabman"? Obviously you've been childish for a very long time...oh wait, this is Woot.com, my bad, carry on.

Re-runs live forever my friend. And I prefer child-like to childish. (Paraphrased from an episode of M*A*S*H, by the way.)

dakiddusa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakiddusa

is #5 Frank (Peter Boyle) from Everybody Loves Raymond

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
HomerTime wrote:Haven't seen Buck Henry since SNL days, but if that *is* him, it would make sense because that would mean it would be a fairly recent show and its been at least 15 years since I have watched much TV

Good eye!

bradw76

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bradw76

Nice picks, but too bad you limit yourselves to 8 items. Lorne Greene (Bonanaza), BIll Bixby (Courtship of Eddie's Father (see it's even in the title!), and whoever that was on My Three Sons (again with the title) would have been appropriate picks, too.

bradw76

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bradw76

John Astin also had a recurring role as Harry Anderson's father on Night Court.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars
craigthom wrote:William Shallert not only played Martin Lane, Patty's father and Cathy's uncle, he also played Mr. Pomfritt, a teacher of Doby and Maynard.

For this place, it is worth noting that he played Nilz Baris in the Star Trek episode "The Trouble With Tribbles".

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars
bradw76 wrote:Nice picks, but too bad you limit yourselves to 8 items. Lorne Greene (Bonanaza), BIll Bixby (Courtship of Eddie's Father (see it's even in the title!), and whoever that was on My Three Sons (again with the title) would have been appropriate picks, too.

"Whoever" is Fred MacMurray!

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?