Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002

$388 from WalMart, 3.5 stars

LordBling

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LordBling

Figures. I just bought a new 42'' for the back bedroom yesterday. This would've been a good option. Oh well.

demon00689

quality posts: 10 Private Messages demon00689

Wal-yuck reviews and price @ http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=16401798&adid=bzv_fb_revshr_001

Looks like about $80 more (incl woot's shipping) for same model new.

mx023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mx023

what an awesome deal on a computer monitor

blainekyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blainekyle

I bought a 42" Westinghouse in 2008 for $900 and I was proud of finding such a bargain. Heck, I remember paying $400 for a new 27" SDTV in the '90s. Them tubes were expensive. You kids today don't know how good you've got it.

fleece

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fleece

Poor refresh rate, response time and contrast. Not exactly a TV for the future, but then... maybe the Mayans were right.

luckieboi711

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckieboi711

I actually own a similar model (maybe the same - I don't have the model number directly in front of me), and I think it's a great tv. Bought it back in February, and it's still kicking now. Picture is great with Blue Ray's and my HD cable provider - It has a great turn on time (for similar priced TV's), colors looks okay (I'm sure there's better color on those expensive TV's), the sound is good, and it's fairly easy to program and set up. For this price, I think it's a deal. No issues to report now 4 months in.

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande

You need to buy the Square Trade Warranty for peace of mind which is 50 bucks (rounding up a penny) and then 5 dollars shipping which equals 355. I new one from Walmart with sales tax (In Indiana its 7%) brings it to 415.16 You save yourself 60 bucks If I bought it from Walmart, I would buy extended warranty for 2 years for 35 bucks. Wow. Square Trade has really jacked up their prices.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry for the problems. Amazon Web Services had a rather large hiccup that affected a good portion of the internet. Things are coming back online but it may take a bit longer for everything to settle down.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

therealjrn

quality posts: 39 Private Messages therealjrn
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems. Amazon Web Services had a rather large hiccup that affected a good portion of the internet. Things are coming back online but it may take a bit longer for everything to settle down.

Thanks for the update Tell Amazon they need to dry swallow a tablespoon of sugar for those hiccups.

EDIT: From the twitterverse:
Joe Zadeh ‏@joebot
As if millions of startups suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. #AWS

1st Birthday of Celebrations finally! Happy 10th Woot!

haydesigner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages haydesigner
blainekyle wrote:I bought a 42" Westinghouse in 2008 for $900 and I was proud of finding such a bargain. Heck, I remember paying $400 for a new 27" SDTV in the '90s. Them tubes were expensive. You kids today don't know how good you've got it.

Circa 1993, I bought a 20" Trinitron CRT for $1000. Yep. (Same purchase, I paid $500 for 24MB of RAM.)

harmonious1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages harmonious1
jtmedia wrote:Let me reiterate a previous comment:

http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-42in-CLASS-1080P-120Hz/product-reviews/B0051RC7V2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I have never seen reviews so preponderously negative. Do not buy this TV.

That's not the same model. This is a 60Hz, that is a 120hz. I don't doubt that the two items have similar issues but that's why it is probably better to buy it as a refurb, assuming that those issues have been addressed.

Personally, I'd pass on the Square Trade warranty due to the fact that if it is defective out of the box, it's already covered for the first 90 days and if it works fine initially, it's probably going to last more than 1 year - why add an additional 15% to the price?

I'm still on the fence but it seems like a pretty good deal....

ninestories

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ninestories

Here's the actual Amazon listing for this model (DP42848 vs DP42840): http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-DP42848-Class-1080p-Digital/dp/B001COE6QC

Only three reviews, but mostly positive. The other one had some legitimate reviews, but one guy rated 1 star because he couldn't "fake" HD by bumping up the sharpness/contrast? I'm not saying grievances about black bars and the set not turning on aren't totally valid, but for that one guy I LOL'd. :D

bsilver94

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsilver94

For the posh Wooter: Techradar says 42" tvs are the sweet spot not only for price, but viewing pleasure and maintaining home decor. http://bit.ly/bzKwU1

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

Well... Now that we've cleared up the confusion about the Amazon listing of this tv, it's looking like a pretty good deal.

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems. Amazon Web Services had a rather large hiccup that affected a good portion of the internet. Things are coming back online but it may take a bit longer for everything to settle down.

Amazon broke the Internet.

tournapart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tournapart
jtmedia wrote:Let me reiterate a previous comment:

http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-42in-CLASS-1080P-120Hz/product-reviews/B0051RC7V2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I have never seen reviews so preponderously negative. Do not buy this TV.

surely you noticed that this is NOT the same TV right?

I will admit that most people complained of speaker or screen issues in about 2 years of use on Walmart's website, but, for a bedroom TV that gets little use, it will probably be perfect. in 4-5 years most people buy a new TV anyway

I bought one for my bedroom, my Samsung 55" 120hz is the main one in my living room

tournapart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tournapart
haydesigner wrote:Circa 1993, I bought a 20" Trinitron CRT for $1000. Yep. (Same purchase, I paid $500 for 24MB of RAM.)

Back when computers and TV's were still profitable

Globalization has really lowered prices

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
mevande wrote:You need to buy the Square Trade Warranty for peace of mind which is 50 bucks (rounding up a penny) and then 5 dollars shipping which equals 355. I new one from Walmart with sales tax (In Indiana its 7%) brings it to 415.16 You save yourself 60 bucks If I bought it from Walmart, I would buy extended warranty for 2 years for 35 bucks. Wow. Square Trade has really jacked up their prices.

Find a coupon code, they're out there. 20 to 30% off.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

jperry58

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jperry58

READ internet reviews first!! Everyone says the same thing. TWO YEARS MAX! The failure on this set is always at two years and most have the same issue, picture goes out after an annoying week or so of screeching circuits in the panel. I almost pulled the trigger then thought to look it up first. The refurbs are the ones that failed after two years and now have been given a new two year lease on life in my opinion. Beware fellow Wooters!

lazyzombie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lazyzombie

I don't always buy TV's on the internet, but when i do, i prefer Woot!

Critic2029

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Critic2029

Being 60Hz is not really a negative. considering most content on TV and BD/DVD are Nativity in 30hz or 24hz. Ant attempt to view that content at any higher rate creates fake filler frames in-between the real frames. There is some sports content that looks great at the higher refresh. 120hz vs 60hz vs 30hz is a gimmick to sell TVs.

On that note if you do want to use it as a computer monitor, especially for gaming you're going to want 120hz.

haywardkw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haywardkw
tournapart wrote:Back when computers and TV's were still profitable

Not to mention the money was worth twice as much.

And ya know I haven't seen anyone from Apple or Intel or M$ headed for the poorhouse lately.

haywardkw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haywardkw
harmonious1 wrote:
Personally, I'd pass on the Square Trade warranty due to the fact that if it is defective out of the box, it's already covered for the first 90 days and if it works fine initially, it's probably going to last more than 1 year - why add an additional 15% to the price?

Exactly extended warranties are one of the biggest money scams out there. Then there is the matter of actually collecting on them... never read the fine print on how and where they must be fixed did you.

njdguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njdguy

Normally I like to check multiple sites (PC World, PC Mag, CNET) to compare before buying a product like this but I couldn't find any from them.

Did find one from Consumer Reports & testfreaks.com

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs-services/tvs/lcd-and-plasma-tvs-ratings/models/overview/sanyo-dp42841-99042153.htm

http://www.testfreaks.com/televisions/sanyo-dp42841/user-reviews/

ultrawolf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ultrawolf

Lots of inputs if you need them, and both analog and digital audio out, plus headphone jack. You could connect just about anything to this.

Note - Walmart has a good picture showing the inputs and outputs.

ultrawolf

freddycat1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freddycat1

Like the Bobcats pictured!

shanteuse

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shanteuse
haydesigner wrote:Circa 1993, I bought a 20" Trinitron CRT for $1000. Yep. (Same purchase, I paid $500 for 24MB of RAM.)

In 1991, I bought a 19" black and white monitor for my nice new M A C for the bargain price of..... 900 bucks. Yes, black and white.

And that WAS a bargain then, too.

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

Sanyo is a wholly owned subsidiary of Panasonic, and shares factories with Panasonic for their TVs. So think of Sanyo TVs as the Panasonic budget line. Probably uses specs and components previously in older Viera TVs.

Interesting fact: Sanyo's founder is Panasonic (Matsushita as it was previously known) founder's brother in law and started the company out in a Panasonic factory.

I am not responsible for this post.

zaprowsdower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaprowsdower

Oh! Pity me, my beloved friends and Wooters and lend me your ears in a tale of woe...

Last night we had a huge storm and despite my 14 year old TV being on a double surge protector he was tragically murdered by the lightning.

So serendipity being a Wooter's ally, I see this TV on here today. Now I am searching for some opinions on whether this TV would be a good choice for someone who:
a) knows nothing of modern TV technology
b) is not impressed with HD
c) does not own anything HD or Blueray related
d) occasionally plays some old Wii games and watches basic TV shows

Akapokas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Akapokas

Woot has refurbs. Wal-Mart has refurbs. I wonder if this model is just garbage... With so many refurbs, I am running for the hills.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
zaprowsdower wrote:Oh! Pity me, my beloved friends and Wooters and lend me your ears in a tale of woe...

Last night we had a huge storm and despite my 14 year old TV being on a double surge protector he was tragically murdered by the lightning.

So serendipity being a Wooter's ally, I see this TV on here today. Now I am searching for some opinions on whether this TV would be a good choice for someone who:

If you buy this, you will want HD related goodies. :D

Suck it, Trebek.

docharrigan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docharrigan
fleece wrote:Poor refresh rate, response time and contrast. Not exactly a TV for the future, but then... maybe the Mayans were right.

Waddaya want for cheap? A rubber biscuit?!?!?

madfire09

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madfire09

IF an HDMI input doesn't work or if something is broken..Will woot take it back?

PghRiverRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PghRiverRat
lazyzombie wrote:I don't always buy TV's on the internet, but when i do, i prefer Woot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

I like to cook with wine. In fact, I drank a bottle last night while cooking dinner!

dfreeman847

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfreeman847
Critic2029 wrote:Being 60Hz is not really a negative. considering most content on TV and BD/DVD are Nativity in 30hz or 24hz... 120hz vs 60hz vs 30hz is a gimmick to sell TVs.

I disagree - I went from a 60Hz to a 120Hz panel and the 60Hz was a blurry slide show in comparison.

rinardman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rinardman
zaprowsdower wrote:Oh! Pity me, my beloved friends and Wooters and lend me your ears in a tale of woe...

You'll love HD. If not, you'll still like it. If you live within 30-40 miles of your local TV towers, get an antenna and get the best HD for free.

BTW, I've owned seven Sanyo TVs since the 80's, and I've never had a problem with any of them. I currently have a 32" similiar to this one, and after 5 years, it's still going strong. My brother bought a Sanyo this size 3 years ago, for $650.

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme
Critic2029 wrote:Being 60Hz is not really a negative. considering most content on TV and BD/DVD are Nativity in 30hz or 24hz. Ant attempt to view that content at any higher rate creates fake filler frames in-between the real frames. There is some sports content that looks great at the higher refresh. 120hz vs 60hz vs 30hz is a gimmick to sell TVs.

On that note if you do want to use it as a computer monitor, especially for gaming you're going to want 120hz.

Except 120hz TVs show each (24fps) movie frame 5 times. When you go to 60hz you have to do the 2-3-2-3 shuffle for 24fps media.

120/24 = 5
60/24 = 2.5 = (2+3)/2

rgreed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgreed

1977 just out of college, bought a 19" zenith, mechanical rotary tuner, plastic cabinet, no remote. $300. which is over $1100 in 2012 dollars.