leftturney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leftturney

In for one. It's gonna be a Father's day present. Please don't smartpost it woot! Thanks!

ebear88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ebear88
PghRiverRat wrote:Stay thirsty my friend!

LOL!! The most interesting post in the world

suebob4001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages suebob4001

You guys are babies...$1,850 for a 10 meg, 16k ram, monitor extra, (black and orange)thought I had died and gone to computer heaven

haydesigner wrote:Circa 1993, I bought a 20" Trinitron CRT for $1000. Yep. (Same purchase, I paid $500 for 24MB of RAM.)

johnthewoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnthewoot
smigit2002 wrote:$388 from WalMart, 3.5 stars

Actually, it's only $329 for the same refurbished model Link

luvduchovny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvduchovny

My sister recently bought a 32" Sanyo LED hdtv and I have to say in all honesty, it sucks. It takes a good 10 seconds for it to turn on. The colors are washed out and I spent what felt like hours tweaking her set so it would at least get "vivid" looking colors. She bought it because she was too cheap to get the Vizio version of a similar size set. I asked if she didn't want to take it back and spend the extra money but she wouldn't go for it. So I had to say, "Well you get what you pay for."

I'm too lazy for signatures... oh, okay not completely lazy.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
dfreeman847 wrote:I disagree - I went from a 60Hz to a 120Hz panel and the 60Hz was a blurry slide show in comparison.

There's more to what made the 60Hz set look blurry compared to the 120Hz. Very likely the 120Hz set had less jitter and lag than the one that didn't look so good. I have a Vizio 37" 60hz CFL LCD set that looks much clearer even during motion than my Westinghouse economy 120Hz "1080p LED backlit set.
Side by side the Vizio looks much better.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

boysandbetsy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boysandbetsy
haywardkw wrote:Exactly extended warranties are one of the biggest money scams out there. Then there is the matter of actually collecting on them... never read the fine print on how and where they must be fixed did you.

Extended Warranties are money scams? It's INSURANCE! ALL insurance has the faint scent of "scamitude" - nature of the beast. My auto insurance is the biggest rip off in the world...until the hail storm came through last week; THEN I LOVED IT!! Buying it for a $250 TV? Yeah, I'd probably skip....but a $2000 LED? Uh, how long is my coverage?!?! They are profit centers - make no mistake - but whats wrong with profit? When did that become a dirty word? As long as the warranty has a good reputation, pays their claims on time and isn't terribly exclusive in what it covers - I'm in. The bigger issue here is that Sanyo sucks. Truly, just a garbage TV and anything else they put their brand on. It's a Wal Mart TV...and hey, WM sells some nice stuff now...but Sanyo has been in their stores forever. Right next to the DYNEX and WESTINGHOUSE...save your money, cut back on the MochaChocaYaYa's....get a Samsung.

thomas998

quality posts: 21 Private Messages thomas998
jperry58 wrote:READ internet reviews first!! Everyone says the same thing. TWO YEARS MAX! The failure on this set is always at two years and most have the same issue, picture goes out after an annoying week or so of screeching circuits in the panel. I almost pulled the trigger then thought to look it up first. The refurbs are the ones that failed after two years and now have been given a new two year lease on life in my opinion. Beware fellow Wooters!

The failure on these cheap TVs that begin with a high pitched screaming noise is usually caused by capacitors on the power board crapping out. A lot of them manufacturers use sub-par capacitors and it leads to this failure.... have had a couple of mine go out and in each time was able to fix it by replacing the capacitors on the power board. It isn't a hard fix when it happens and if you use high end capacitors you will likely never have the problem again.

thomas998

quality posts: 21 Private Messages thomas998
boysandbetsy wrote:Extended Warranties are money scams? It's INSURANCE! ALL insurance has the faint scent of "scamitude" - nature of the beast. My auto insurance is the biggest rip off in the world...until the hail storm came through last week; THEN I LOVED IT!! Buying it for a $250 TV? Yeah, I'd probably skip....but a $2000 LED? Uh, how long is my coverage?!?! They are profit centers - make no mistake - but whats wrong with profit? When did that become a dirty word? As long as the warranty has a good reputation, pays their claims on time and isn't terribly exclusive in what it covers - I'm in. The bigger issue here is that Sanyo sucks. Truly, just a garbage TV and anything else they put their brand on. It's a Wal Mart TV...and hey, WM sells some nice stuff now...but Sanyo has been in their stores forever. Right next to the DYNEX and WESTINGHOUSE...save your money, cut back on the MochaChocaYaYa's....get a Samsung.

As long as you can afford to replace the item you are thinking of insuring there is no point in buying insurance, simply accept the risk and be ready for the possibility of replacing the item at your own expense. Insurance only makes sense when it is for a cost you couldn't afford if the insured item craps out.

If you can't the cost to replace the TV your considering buying then you are probably looking at a TV that is more expensive than your budget really can handle.

I do have to disagree on the Sanyo is junk claim though... I have one old Sanyo TV I got almost 20 years ago and it is still working.. have a Sanyo phone that I mistakenly put in the washing machine, after I allowed it to dry out it fired right back up - try that with a samsung phone and see what happens.

hutchinsond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hutchinsond

I try to purchase this, and receive a site error every time...

lruvola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lruvola
boysandbetsy wrote:Extended Warranties are money scams? It's INSURANCE! ALL insurance has the faint scent of "scamitude" - nature of the beast. My auto insurance is the biggest rip off in the world...until the hail storm came through last week; THEN I LOVED IT!! Buying it for a $250 TV? Yeah, I'd probably skip....but a $2000 LED? Uh, how long is my coverage?!?! They are profit centers - make no mistake - but whats wrong with profit? When did that become a dirty word? As long as the warranty has a good reputation, pays their claims on time and isn't terribly exclusive in what it covers - I'm in. The bigger issue here is that Sanyo sucks. Truly, just a garbage TV and anything else they put their brand on. It's a Wal Mart TV...and hey, WM sells some nice stuff now...but Sanyo has been in their stores forever. Right next to the DYNEX and WESTINGHOUSE...save your money, cut back on the MochaChocaYaYa's....get a Samsung.

Let me guess, you sell extended warranties for a living. yes? How'd I know...

Sumerian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sumerian

Keep trying to buy one! Keep getting this message:

yikes, there's been a server error

Something on our side of things went wrong. The site could be overloaded, or you may have tried something we didn't test.

Your best bet is to try again. If you get this error page consistently, we'd love it if you'd write us, telling us exactly what you did to get the error. With any luck, we'll fix the problem, and it'll work the next time you try.

Proxgotsthafia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Proxgotsthafia
Critic2029 wrote:Being 60Hz is not really a negative. considering most content on TV and BD/DVD are Nativity in 30hz or 24hz. Ant attempt to view that content at any higher rate creates fake filler frames in-between the real frames. There is some sports content that looks great at the higher refresh. 120hz vs 60hz vs 30hz is a gimmick to sell TVs.

Not true. As you mentioned, Blu-ray content is available in 24 fps (almost all, actually, as this is how the movies are filmed). Having a 120Hz TV allows you to watch these films as intended with a smoother picture than what is available on a 60Hz TV.
The reason for this is that the 24 fps will not evenly factor into the 60Hz refresh rate, so movies on a 60Hz TV are presented with a 3:2 pulldown; frame #1 will be shown 3 times whereas frame #2 will only be shown twice. A 120Hz TV allows you to avoid this even-ness, as frame #1 and frame #2 will be displayed 5 times each. The end result is a smoother picture that is MUCH closer to the theatrical experience.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry about the error messages. They're working on it now.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Sumerian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sumerian
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry about the error messages. They're working on it now.

Nice. My index finger was beginning to get tired from hitting refresh and that giant 'buy it' button. Hard work!

graybeam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages graybeam

Just read the reviews on this TV. It has a 2-year time-bomb in it.

-me
www.nothingsaid.com

nodoze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nodoze
boysandbetsy wrote: Extended Warranties are money scams?

Where TVs are concerned, yes, they are. Only about 1.5% of modern TVs fail. That means that there is a 98.5% chance that you are wasting your money if you buy and extended warranty. To electronics dealers, extended warranties are considered pure profit.

The bigger issue here is that Sanyo sucks. Truly, just a garbage TV...

That's utter nonsense, and demonstrates you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about. Sanyo TVs have historically had one of the lowest "frequency of repair" records of all TV manufacturers. Ever read Consumer Reports? No, I didn't think so. The Sanyo brand may not be the most glamorous, and they may be a little plain when it comes to features. But, the record shows that it is a solid brand in terms of reliability. That said, every brand has it's lemons.

awolo06

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awolo06

^ Your kidding right? Sanyo's have been crap for years. Might wanna update your research, bro.

RUN AWAY!!!

Sanyo refurbs are for the birds.

I know 8 people who have had horrid luck with a Sanyo refurb.

Myself included.

cadsystems

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cadsystems
therealjrn wrote:Thanks for the update Tell Amazon they need to dry swallow a tablespoon of sugar for those hiccups.

EDIT: From the twitterverse:
Joe Zadeh ‏@joebot
As if millions of startups suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. #AWS

Is dry swallow anything like dry humping? If so no thanks.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

Forget the warranty! Forget the reviews! Forget what anyone tells you including me! If you think you want it, it's probably a good deal. If you don't need it, it's not a good deal. For the price they are offering it, if the thing stops working in two years (after the "extended warranty if you bought it is up anyway) then you just buy another one at a price you will be glad to get it for because of all the good hard work Woot is doing to make sure that no TV you buy here is your last one. Besides, two years from now you will wish this thing breaks so you can rationalize buying a newer one with the features you really want that will be introduced in the next two years anyway! Relax - be happy!

davidshockey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidshockey
rgreed wrote:1977 just out of college, bought a 19" zenith, mechanical rotary tuner, plastic cabinet, no remote. $300. which is over $1100 in 2012 dollars.

In 1978 the girl I was living with had to skip town to evade the law. She left behind a nearly new 19" Zenith that I made good use of.

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143

RCA 42" for same price and free shipping! Its a Plasma HDTV at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+42%22+Class+-+Plasma+-+720p+-+600Hz+-+HDTV/2343493.p?id=1218321952503&skuId=2343493&ci_src=5784816&ci_sku=2343493&ref=25&loc=PGR

ruffyy123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruffyy123
Critic2029 wrote:Being 60Hz is not really a negative. considering most content on TV and BD/DVD are Nativity in 30hz or 24hz. Ant attempt to view that content at any higher rate creates fake filler frames in-between the real frames. There is some sports content that looks great at the higher refresh. 120hz vs 60hz vs 30hz is a gimmick to sell TVs.

On that note if you do want to use it as a computer monitor, especially for gaming you're going to want 120hz.

It's a sickening race to chase the numbers. Most folks can't tell the difference so go with the 60hz. Do you actually stand around throwing out numbers like 60hz or do you say it's got a great picture?

ruffyy123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruffyy123
lruvola wrote:Let me guess, you sell extended warranties for a living. yes? How'd I know...

Capitalism has run it's course. instead of us uniformly getting the best we have to settle for lower brands until we can afford better. Capitalism has dehumanised us by granting work to the lowest bidder and putting different names on the boxes of things made in the same factories.

kbluspiro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbluspiro

4 months, and it's STILL kicking?!

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

Hah. The "I want one" button on my screen is flashing at me. Is that a sign of something?

EDIT: lol, guess that means a sellout.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 14 Private Messages billthegunowner

You're better off shelling out an extra $100 - $200 and getting 120Mhz if you like sports. I just bought a smart TV that has all the internet widgets built right in. Netflix, Rhapsody You Tube, ect. Thats the way to go. I wirelessly beam Netflix and Rhapsody music to it and then play it through the stereo. It's awesome.

Bill

nancy33498

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nancy33498
tournapart wrote:surely you noticed that this is NOT the same TV right?

I will admit that most people complained of speaker or screen issues in about 2 years of use on Walmart's website, but, for a bedroom TV that gets little use, it will probably be perfect. in 4-5 years most people buy a new TV anyway

I bought one for my bedroom, my Samsung 55" 120hz is the main one in my living room

Not an early adopter - I haven't replaced any of my three TVs in ten years. This deal my do it though.

Nancy Snap

anniesmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anniesmith
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems. Amazon Web Services had a rather large hiccup that affected a good portion of the internet. Things are coming back online but it may take a bit longer for everything to settle down.

Very frustrated at the site for messing up like that. When I hit "purchase order" I received an error notification, telling me to try again. So I did try again, as suggested - twice. As it turns out, it ended up sending my order for this TV through THREE times (despite the error message I kept receiving)without my knowledge....And then charging me for all three TVs, when I only wanted one. And now I am desparately trying to find out if those extra orders will actually get cancelled or not....But have not received a response from anyone. This is really disappointing.

rhgrafix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rhgrafix

Does it come with bobcats? :O)

Rambo

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Ask questions first. I was in an office store when a guy brought in his broken camera for a replacement. First, they said they might not be able to find the exact model, and second, the warranty was for the first camera, so the coverage was not extended to the replacement.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dhomstad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dhomstad
Proxgotsthafia wrote:Not true. As you mentioned, Blu-ray content is available in 24 fps (almost all, actually, as this is how the movies are filmed). Having a 120Hz TV allows you to watch these films as intended with a smoother picture than what is available on a 60Hz TV.
The reason for this is that the 24 fps will not evenly factor into the 60Hz refresh rate, so movies on a 60Hz TV are presented with a 3:2 pulldown; frame #1 will be shown 3 times whereas frame #2 will only be shown twice. A 120Hz TV allows you to avoid this even-ness, as frame #1 and frame #2 will be displayed 5 times each. The end result is a smoother picture that is MUCH closer to the theatrical experience.

Can my eyes really tell the difference between still photos that are refreshed two-three times @60hz versus five times @ 120hz?

daniel M Homstad

CDubbs684

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CDubbs684

On that note if you do want to use it as a computer monitor, especially for gaming you're going to want 120hz.

It's also worth noting that for "instant replay" purposes in the home, that isn't considered as evidence for replays in football, as it is a "best guess" of what the frame between the two broadcast frames "might" be.

120hz does make scrolling text look better.

If you are curious if a TV can be used for 3d that is advertising 120Hz, you have to determine if it supports 120Hz input. Most 120Hz advertised TVs do not.

If it won't matter when I'm 90, it's no big deal.

mtdew0000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtdew0000
fleece wrote:Poor refresh rate, response time and contrast. Not exactly a TV for the future, but then... maybe the Mayans were right.

yeah unless you want that awkward picture delay on blu ray and other hd movies and tv, you dont want anything other that a 60hz tv so that is actually a good thing, the response time of 6.5ms is pretty solid, and as for the contrast yeah go buy a 100000:1 contrast with everything else the same and you wont be able to tell the differnece...
FACE

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
rhgrafix wrote:Does it come with bobcats? :O)

Is that a deal breaker for you?

I'm just hanging out, really.

hutchinsond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hutchinsond

Well that just blows.... The site screws up earlier today... I come back to try later and its sold out!?? Common!

MadMontie1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MadMontie1

I have a 42" Panasonic LCD (NOT flat panel, still 16" deep) that I bought for $2100 back only in 2005 which has been crapping the bed.

I've had a blue halo slowing creeping in an getting larger from the sides of the screen and washing all the color to blue and yellow which I was told is the light engine failing and really not worth fixing.

I'd been holding out on buying a new TV because I didnt want to spend the money. This was a no brainer for me, even if it does only last a few years. A steal in my book!

scatland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scatland

clanecks - Actually, Sanyo was acquired by Panasonic. The Sanyo name has been phased out. Anything with a Sanyo brand name on it means that it is an "old" model... So, it will NOT have Panasonic components in it.
Actually, some Sanyo technologies are being used by Panasonic now - part of the acquision. Projectors, batteries, solar cells, may be in Panasonic, or Sanyo a Panasonic Company products.

docterz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docterz

since this one sold out..How does this deal compare? Best buy deal of the day RCA 42 720p plasma for 299.00 Free ship?

Its new compared to refurbished but only 720p to1080

mclancy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mclancy

The new woot seems fake. I can't diagnose exactly how, but i find myself checking it only every few days rather than first thing when I turn my computer on in the morning (which I've done for years). The writeups seem like they were done by MBAs trying to be funny (trust me, I'm an MBA and I often try to be funny, so i should know).

I'd suggest you try to fix it, becuase something is broken (sorry I can;t tell you exactly what, I'm not sure myself).