shroud2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shroud2
mclancy wrote:The new woot seems fake. I can't diagnose exactly how, but i find myself checking it only every few days rather than first thing when I turn my computer on in the morning (which I've done for years). The writeups seem like they were done by MBAs trying to be funny (trust me, I'm an MBA and I often try to be funny, so i should know).

I'd suggest you try to fix it, becuase something is broken (sorry I can;t tell you exactly what, I'm not sure myself).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57454235-93/woot-founder-resigns-from-amazon/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

ZeroSyztem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZeroSyztem
dhomstad wrote:Can my eyes really tell the difference between still photos that are refreshed two-three times @60hz versus five times @ 120hz?

Yeah you can you just don't know what your looking at.

You can see it most in long pan shots in movies and shows that are done in 24fps. You see like a stutter in the pan.

This s really poor quality video and it shows the way it gets rid of the interlacing effect but you can the the stutter in the movements since it is such a poor quality video and 3:2 pulldown.

http://www.viddler.com/v/f9655a3d

kh99

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kh99
boysandbetsy wrote:[b]Extended Warranties are money scams? It's INSURANCE! ...

Just because it's insurance doesn't mean it's a good deal. Some insurance makes good sense, some doesn't.

I'm sure if you started an insurance pool just to protect buyers from the possibility of getting a defective item, the cost would be a few dollars per buyer, not $50 for a $300 item.

rvw14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvw14

Amatures, I just purchased an Apple 1 for $374,000.

suebob4001 wrote:You guys are babies...$1,850 for a 10 meg, 16k ram, monitor extra, (black and orange)thought I had died and gone to computer heaven

sell2america

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sell2america

I get home from work and open my woot email from today (6/15/2012) and I already missed it. The only things I ever get are items that aren't in too much demand. And repeated emails for the same digital camera for the last few months. Finally a good deal, and I can't buy one! Woot is going to my spam box from now on!

Da5id

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Da5id
Critic2029 wrote:Being 60Hz is not really a negative. considering most content on TV and BD/DVD are Nativity in 30hz or 24hz. Ant attempt to view that content at any higher rate creates fake filler frames in-between the real frames. There is some sports content that looks great at the higher refresh. 120hz vs 60hz vs 30hz is a gimmick to sell TVs.

On that note if you do want to use it as a computer monitor, especially for gaming you're going to want 120hz.

Dude, I did a bunch of research into the nativity of Jesus and I didn't find anything about TV, HDTV's, or refresh rates. No, actually, I did a quick Wikipedia review. When I went to church, they said after you got saved, you are good to go for life. So I got saved and haven't stepped foot in church since.

However, your analysis is technically BS. You're confusing refresh rate with subfield frame rates. I could cut-and-paste a very clear and long explanation from about.com but I think instead I will just link to it. Everybody else, don't pay attention to this post. Okay, here comes the link:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionbasics/qt/framevsrefresh.htm

At least you made an effort, but next time check your work.

PS: natively – FTFY

Da5id

shroud2 wrote:http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57454235-93/woot-founder-resigns-from-amazon/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Malan see, good catch with the CNET article. I am going to link over to Tech Crunch and see if I can find the unabridged version. I have already given feedback about my initial reactions – negative. But overall, I buy almost everything online from Amazon and at least we can trust it to do two things: (1) try hard (2) maybe not screw us over. BTW, people looking for deal on Amazon for something that comes in colors, like cheap cameras, check all the colors: sometimes one or two will be 50% off. LOL

Da5id

ultrawolf wrote:Lots of inputs if you need them, and both analog and digital audio out, plus headphone jack. You could connect just about anything to this.

Note - Walmart has a good picture showing the inputs and outputs.

Who needs analog inputs? Well all that old hit away and buy new stuff. Seriously, anything on a VCR tape you can download in HD for free.

counter22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages counter22

Didn't look through all the comments but Costco has a 42" that is new and not refurbed for 350 with 10 shipping and you get the automatic 2 year Costco warranty. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11755533&cm_mmc=BCEmail_May12MVM-_-Focus-_-9-_-MarketingItemName

DonKudler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DonKudler
haydesigner wrote:Circa 1993, I bought a 20" Trinitron CRT for $1000. Yep. (Same purchase, I paid $500 for 24MB of RAM.)

When I worked at Computerland 'round about that time, we sold Professional Graphics Cards (for VGA Quality Monitors) at $1,500.00 - that's JUST for the card

mcdetective

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdetective

I just received my TV but it has no remote. I can't even find any buttons on the TV to push to turn it off. It's stuck asking me if I want the home or store settings. I suppose I can buy a remote at Amazon, but how can I manage the TV until then? Any suggestions?

utsasparkmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages utsasparkmonkey
mcdetective wrote:I just received my TV but it has no remote. I can't even find any buttons on the TV to push to turn it off. It's stuck asking me if I want the home or store settings. I suppose I can buy a remote at Amazon, but how can I manage the TV until then? Any suggestions?

The buttons are on the bottom lower right hand side. I got a remote, but it doesn't work. Nor does the TV after five minutes... The TV goes blank and plays white noise loudly over the speakers... Does this mean I need to deal with the refurb company or will Woot help?

kkshields

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kkshields
utsasparkmonkey wrote:The buttons are on the bottom lower right hand side. I got a remote, but it doesn't work. Nor does the TV after five minutes... The TV goes blank and plays white noise loudly over the speakers... Does this mean I need to deal with the refurb company or will Woot help?

Sorry about that. I don't see that you have emailed us yet, so I'm sending you a PM with some options.

montesan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages montesan

just got my refurbed Sanyo and I am stoked. I wish I had bought two. My girlfriend's kid is having a blast with his games. It looks great and is running great (so far). I just tried to buy another one for my dad on Woot and they are sold out... What a bummer...

hitupolas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hitupolas

Just received the TV this afternoon and installed. The speaker right under where the control buttons are located is blown and sounds distorted. The 90 day warranty company is located in CA and I am in GA. I contacted them and I am responsible for shipping and they gave no promise of when I would get the tv back. Woot... I have bought over 25 items from you and have always been very satified, this one is a FAIL!

peterbokunet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterbokunet

So I plugged in the AppleTV and the TV says that I need to plug in analog audio and the AppleTV says it can't set up HDCP, so no playing movies.

I tried HDMI ports 1 & 2, doubt 3 would be any different. Is there a way to fix this?

I did get the remote. If I can figure out the HDMI issue, I'd probably give my remote away.

--
Only in the beginning can you know where you are at.

kkshields

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kkshields
hitupolas wrote:Just received the TV this afternoon and installed. The speaker right under where the control buttons are located is blown and sounds distorted. The 90 day warranty company is located in CA and I am in GA. I contacted them and I am responsible for shipping and they gave no promise of when I would get the tv back. Woot... I have bought over 25 items from you and have always been very satified, this one is a FAIL!

Sorry about the issues. Let us know at service@woot.com if the warranty provider is unable to assist with your issue and we'll provide some options.

tracwatts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tracwatts

Waited 9 days for delivery, okay.
Picture quality is good, okay.
Sound does not work at all, not okay. I understand the classicness of silent movies but this is 2012. Sanyo refurbish dept. wants me to pay to have it sent in, not okay.
Contacted Woot. Will let you know how it turns out.

vmodel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vmodel

I still not receive the TV, the tracking say was shippeed in June 18
today is june 28, is been 10 days and I live 250 miles from where is shipped, I can't believe it takes more of 10 days to go 250 miles, but is true, I ask to fedex what happend and it ask for everithing just left the color of the box out. Please some one of woot who can help with the next info for fedex

• The complete name and address of the shipper, for verification
• Your telephone contact number
• Package detail/package description (manufacturer's name, model number, part number and/or package cost)
• Packaging used (box, pouch and/or package dimensions)

thanks

Enrique Fernandez

cam4mav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cam4mav

how are these holding up for you guys?

mine worked well until earlier today. watching cable and the sound just decided to not work anymore. same issue on my hdmi input from my ps3.
for about an hour I could turn the tv off then on and it would work again, for about a minute, then turn off again.

tried to hook up the audio out jacks to a set of pc speakers. no dice. speakers are probably fine, never went above 30 volume (in a small room) and never sounded bad. no popping or anything, seems like the audio chip or whatever in the tv just decided to stop doing anything.

how much is shipping to the warranty folks in CA?

pretty crazy to pay hundreds for a product, have it not work, and be charged then more to get it corrected