WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

There comes a day in every dad's life when he has to take a deep breath, trust that he's made a difference, and let his child carry on without him. And then occasionally send his child a few bucks when things get tight. Today is that day for Woot's Big Daddy, the man who dared to ask "who says trolling isn't an effective business model?": our founder Matt Rutledge announced today that he's moving on.

Matt's gleeful anarchy is splashed all over Woot's DNA. Few companies can boast a leader who would say things like "this product copy isn't weird enough" or "I feel like I should approve this request to rent a chimpanzee without asking any more questions." Almost no CEOs would give his weirdo copywriters free rein to write all kinds of craziness under his byline, or sustain a gruesome dunk-tank injury and let us show it in a video. And the world has Matt to thank for making "crap" a borderline-acceptable ecommerce term.

Yes, Matt infused his snotty exuberance and aversion to BS into Woot so well, there's no turning back now. Woot couldn't be a typical, dull company if we tried. We're damaged beyond repair. We never had a chance to be normal, and it's all Matt's fault.

Whatever Matt does next, we're sure it will stir up some crap and make us all ask "Can he really get away with that?" As for Woot, we'll rest a little easier knowing that the next soda can we open won't have been shaken up by Matt beforehand. And while it would be overstating the case to say we'll miss assisting Matt's axe-throwing demonstrations, the fact remains that he's never hit one of us yet.

Thanks, Matt, and rest in peace. (By which we mean, enjoy those six weeks resting in peaceful Orlando! And can you bring us back one of those googly-eyed seashell monsters? It'll look great on the trophy wall.) Just remember, watch yourself in the forums. We can put you on probation now.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

In commemoration, I'm pouring a little whiskey onto the floor from my desk-drawer stash. Not too much, though. I NEED that stuff.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Wondering if he'll keep his username or come back incognito.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

spon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spon

So this is why woot crashed last night...

Thanks for woot.

Spon-4-Life

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

pooflady wrote:Wondering if he'll keep his username or come back incognito.

MATT IF YOU TROLL ONE OF MY THREADS WITHOUT TELLING ME I'LL BURN YOUR FERRARI TO THE GROUND

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
Slydon wrote:MATT IF YOU TROLL ONE OF MY THREADS WITHOUT TELLING ME I'LL BURN YOUR FERRARI TO THE GROUND

I envision a Spartacus-style scene, where all the trolls step forward and say "I am Snapster."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i am snapster!

joshaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joshaw
no1 wrote:i am snapster!

No, I am!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Slydon wrote:MATT IF YOU TROLL ONE OF MY THREADS WITHOUT TELLING ME I'LL BURN YOUR FERRARI TO THE GROUND

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

But I told him it was okay.

I'm just hanging out, really.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

Boy, the things some people will do to protest a website redesign.

reddesertbrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reddesertbrat

You da man Matt. Thanks for your genius. Hopefully, we'll hear about your next venture. I'm sure it will be another wild ride.
From a loyal Wooter.

marklog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marklog
reddesertbrat wrote:You da man Matt. Thanks for your genius. Hopefully, we'll hear about your next venture. I'm sure it will be another wild ride.
From a loyal Wooter.

Ditto. Please be sure to let us know what wagon you've hitched to so we may hitch to yours.

Are you looking at my junk?

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I never knew him personally but he created something we all love, and for that, I love him. We will miss you, Mr. Rutledge.

I say at 8 pm Woot time tonight, we all shoot off a screaming monkey in salute.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

if amazon did this to my site I would leave too... just sayin'. Tell us all where you are going and we will follow.

pfffft!

blaculadave

quality posts: 17 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

abitterwoman wrote:I never knew him personally but he created something we all love, and for that, I love him. We will miss you, Mr. Rutledge.

I say at 8 pm Woot time tonight, we all shoot off a screaming monkey in salute.

Funny you should say that...

abitterwoman

blaculadave wrote:Funny you should say that...

You can't see my face right now, but I'm doing the Fry squint trying to figure out what that means.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt
blaculadave wrote:Funny you should say that...

Must have pics

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

I guess the Amazon change is almost complete: shirts more expensive but made with cheaper labor, horrible monkey redesigns, a website that is getting close to Turkish bazaar level and now getting rid of the old blood.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Snapster, if you start up something new, don't forget to invite us over!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

blaculadave

quality posts: 17 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

wisenekt wrote:Must have pics

Don't have any static pics...but moving pics aren't un-possible to find. I'm guessing an official version will get posted up at some point.

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

Any chance there will be @Snapster signed monkeys available for sale?

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal
blaculadave wrote:Don't have any static pics...but moving pics aren't un-possible to find. I'm guessing an official version will get posted up at some point.

Awesome sendoff

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

Noooo! Glad to see though that you guys gave him a flying monkey send off though. I hope that Snapster invites us all to his next project, whatever it may be.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Hmph. In my opinion, there should have been a Basket of Crayfish at midnight tonight.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

abitterwoman

blaculadave wrote:Don't have any static pics...but moving pics aren't un-possible to find. I'm guessing an official version will get posted up at some point.

That. Was. Epic.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
blaculadave wrote:moving pics aren't un-possible to find.

O Craptain! My Craptain!

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Thanks for envisioning and creating Woot, Snapster. It has brought many of us lots of fun (and also brought us many purchases, whether necessary or not, but sold to us at a very good price!)

Good luck to you in the future. I'm sure additional significant achievement is in your future.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
SESteve wrote:Boy, the things some people will do to protest a website redesign.

+1

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

wolfwood316

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wolfwood316

Eh, go for it. Amazon already burned his website to the ground.

little lulu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages little lulu

So proud of you, son. I'll keep following you. Thanks to all the staff and wooters for all their support. Love, wootmom.

hcsencsi

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hcsencsi

Best of luck where ever you end up. Thanks for many happy years.

Booger Face

oddlyjen

quality posts: 25 Private Messages oddlyjen

I wish you all the best, @Snapster - Thanks for giving me a website that I've enjoyed spending a lot of time on over the years. Take care.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus

Good luck, Snapster. You did something pretty amazing here.

I just hope that now you're gone, this place doesn't actually turn into a real business. That would be sad, for all of us, and to the spirit of what you created.

Cheers to you, sir!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus
wisenekt wrote:I guess the Amazon change is almost complete: shirts more expensive but made with cheaper labor, horrible monkey redesigns, a website that is getting close to Turkish bazaar level and now getting rid of the old blood.

This is how company takeovers usually work, unfortunately. Amazon didn't buy Woot because they were bored or altruistic, they wanted something...

Anyway, best of luck to Snapster. I'm sure we'll be hearing from the guy who turned crap and monkeys into an e-commerce powerhouse again.