WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's Music Monday! Today we're rewinding to a dark period in rock history: the time when everyone was recording their anti-drug songs. Even though most of them were awful, a few gems shine out as decent. Come on in to find five songs that fit the theme, some conversation, and a link to our weekly Spotify playlist.

We're not saying drugs are great, but we are saying that most anti-drug songs are terrible. Musicians are mostly good at catchy tunes, but when they start talking about laws and philosophy… well, not everyone can be a Bob Dylan. Even still, there are a few anti-drug songs that really do advance the genre, and Scott's going to tell you what he thinks they are below. Remember that some of them will be edgy in order to reach "the kids" and as such, may be not safe for work!

Now, before we jump into things, remember our weekly Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Best Dad Songs in tribute of Father's Day. Hope all you dads had a good one! But before we remember last week, let's check out our current Music Monday below.

Fishbone - Pray To The Junkie Maker slightly NSFW lyrics

Yeah, okay, the lyrics are sort of inane, but that music is funkay. And at least Fishbone doesn't go off on a tangent about what Senators should be doing in their spare time. They just tell it like it is, drop some horns, and move on. A fine lesson in how to address any serious issue through song. The music should always come first!

Velvet Underground - Heroin

Lou Reed, of course, got to see the effects of heroin well before most rock stars even knew what it was. This catchy song has some pretty sad lyrics if you care to listen, and even though it's good music, it sure isn't positive. Really listen to the words and you're not gonna think "wow, that sounds like a fun way to spend a weekend!"

Grandmaster Flash - White Lines

It's clear this "discussion" about the dark side of cocaine is meant to be anti-drug, but since you'll still hear this at parties even today… should it count? I think yes, because it's pretty much a song about ending a long-term relationship. It's just that this particular special someone is a drug. Like all breakups, you'll first remember the magic, and only later remember how your ex drained your bank account and left you for dead in an alley. If you've ever gotten back together with an old flame only to say "What was I thinking?" a week later, then you'll understand how this song can be both cheerful and cautionary at the same time.

Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman maybe NSFW lyrics

I'm of the opinion that Curtis Mayfield could have written a song explaining the times for his neighborhood's weekly garbage pickup and it still would have been amazing, so no one should be surprised he's here on my list. Pusherman also deals with the same streets Lou Reed saw, just from a different racial perspective. Even though it's musically beautiful and much loved by others, it still paints a pretty scary picture of what power drugs hold.

Tin Machine - Crack City solidly NSFW language

Whatever, haters, this song has David Bowie talking about drugs using vulgarity that would be at home on an elementary school playground. I say that's genius, especially since the man did so much of everything that he can't remember about a half-decade of his life. Who better to warn us of the terrible "how-how-hounds of paranoia" some new user might face?

Dig up your favorite anti-drug hits and drop 'em in the comments below. Bonus points if you throw in a few words about why you love them most. Then, once you get your fix, hit the Turntable.fm room for our regular Music Monday experience. Need we remind you that images come from their corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use? And remember, winners don't use drugs.

Quality Posts

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

Howsabout That Smell by Lynrd Skynyrd? Geez I hope I spelled that right...

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

dougkile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougkile

Couple of my favorites:

Step on You by Alice Cooper. "The snow in your nose, the crack in your brain, it used to be cool but now it's just insane."

Medicine Jar by Wings. Written and sung by Jimmy McCulloch. Sadly, and perhaps ironically, Jimmy died from a drug overdose.

And how can you leave out Kicks by Paul Revere and the Raiders?

rockymtranger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rockymtranger

The first song that came to mind was "Sign O the Times", but that's more social commentary than just an anti-drug song. But it is anti-drug, and it doesn't suck.

pgobregon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pgobregon

The Pusher by Steppenwolf: You know the dealer is a man with a lot of grass on his hands, but the pusher is a monster... goddam the pusher man

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969

I'm not a big Neal Young fan, but I think this would have to be included in any list of quality anti-drug songs. It's one of the few of his I really like.

The Needle and the Damage Done

Bingo969

Don't forget King Heroin by James Brown.

Bingo969

Last one. Being a child of the 80s I have to toss out at least 1 80s song for every list.

Toy Soliders by Martika is a great anti-drug tune.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

Cocaine Blues!

hefty244

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hefty244

Sunday Morning Coming Down sorta fits. Its a hell of a drug/drink hangover that he is recovering from. Johnny Cash maybe the most popular, but I prefer Kris Kristoferson's version.

Apparently I suck at embedding video, but the link for KK's version is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYvkhDMU5Mg

eta: 'Show offs' to all those embedded posts above mine!

SoonerByDesign

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SoonerByDesign

K's Choice - I'm Not An Addict. Lovely, haunting and sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHAzwpX7aDE

dukeofwulf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dukeofwulf

How has Metallica not been mentioned yet?
"Master of Puppets"? http://youtu.be/_z-hEyVQDRA
"Sad But True"? http://youtu.be/8xPaeONSn_8

Come on, people! Good stuff!

dukeofwulf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dukeofwulf
abitterwoman wrote:Howsabout That Smell by Lynrd Skynyrd? Geez I hope I spelled that right...

Lynyrd. Don't worry, I had to look it up too.

Bethy54

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bethy54

No one has mentioned "Cold Turkey" by John Lennon. Glad someone mentioned "The Pusher".

I still say "Sid and Nancy" is the best anti-drug film ever made. They didn't make it look the least bit enticing.

alanlyon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alanlyon

Steppenwolf should also get a mention for Snowblind Friend.

bbusche

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bbusche

Surprised no one has mentioned "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Chronicles Anthony Kiedis's personal struggle to overcome heroin addiction in LA. A great song for sure.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

matthew wrote:Cocaine Blues!

1948. Didn't know there was cocaine then.

Was shooting your woman mandatory for drug doing, country singers? Johnny Cash has a song about it too.

Oh, just showed it to son and her said Cash did a cover of this song.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

The first song that sprang to mind for me was a different Curtis Mayfield song - "Freddie's Dead".

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

stevenhb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevenhb

How could you omit the Dead's "Casey Jones"?

RABBIDpanda

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RABBIDpanda

Can't forget Marky Mark's outstanding "Good Vibrations"

Donnie D's on the back up
Drug free so put the crack up
No need for speed
I'm anti d-r-u-g-g-i-e my
body is healthy
And rhymes makes me wealthy
And the funky bunch helps me
to bring you a show with no intoxication
Come on feel the vibration

blackcatula

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blackcatula

Styx's "Snowblind" comes to mind. It's mostly a lament about the depression of addiction to cocaine, but given that it showed up late in the band's game (during the time it was arguably at its most progressive period), I think it's fair to say that it hits with a particularly edgy tone.

rhanlives

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rhanlives
Steppenwolf should also get a mention for Snowblind Friend.

Those two songs, also on my list, were actually written by Hoyt Axton (although they were popularized by Steppenwolf).

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring isn't totally about drugs, but includes lyrics about the negative effects of drugs along with the misery of growing up (or not growing up, as the case may be.)

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
rhanlives wrote:Those two songs, also on my list, were actually written by Hoyt Axton (although they were popularized by Steppenwolf).

Hoyt also wrote "No-No Song" which was a big hit for Ringo Starr.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

I'm not sure it was ever intended to be anti-drug, but Bikeage by the Descendents was one that made me wonder why people would want to do drugs.

(While not overtly NSFW, it is a "mature" song... you were warned!)

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

I'm surprised no one has said this one yet:

"It’s no good to write a deliberate anti-drug song and hope that it will catch. Because the general thing is that people will be upset by that. It would disturb them to have someone else shoving something down their throat. So the best thing to do is offer something that seems ambiguous—that on study or on reflection actually can be seen to be ‘anti’—which the song "Cocaine" is actually an anti-cocaine song. If you study it or look at it with a little bit of thought... from a distance... or as it goes by... it just sounds like a song about cocaine. But actually, it is quite cleverly anti-cocaine."
-Eric Clapton

aaronwooster

quality posts: 9 Private Messages aaronwooster

I've always thought the bleak picture painted by Warren Zevon in 'Carmelita' was pretty effective.

Also partial to 'H is is Stronger than Love' by Silke Bischoff and the Ernst Horn remix of 'Heroin, She Said' for object lessons in pretty packages.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Sorry I couldn't make it to music Monday but I was able to stop by here real quick.

Modest Mouse - The Good Times Are Killing Me was the first song that came to mind, the original version had more drugs killing isaac, but this song is pretty much about getting off all the hard stuff.

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly

"Mother's Little Helper," by the Rolling Stones.

I know nothing about how it was written, but you can almost imagine Jagger and Richards being asked to write an anti-drug song, and coming up with a song about abuse of prescription drugs by suburban housewives, knowing full well that that wasn't the sort of anti-drug song that they were being asked for.

mattschuette

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mattschuette

Staff

Maybe Falco's "Mutter, der Mann mit dem Koks ist da"?

It's in German, but plays on the double meaning between coal and cocaine via the word "koks".

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen

The two greatest anti-drug songs are both by Frank Zappa:

Cosmik Debris and

Dummy Up

pelajus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pelajus

One of the bands to go against the grain of the go-go 60's was Paul Revere and the Raiders, with Mark Lindsay. One of their biggest hits was their anti-drug song, Kicks.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

First thought was White Lines.

Some others:
Dead Kennedys - Drug Me - YouTube [NSFW]
Minor Threat - Straight Edge - YouTube [NSFW]
Weird Lovemakers "Pills" (2000) - YouTube

Plus anti-alcoholism.

Also from Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat and Run, Run, Run

jessilea59

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jessilea59

A couple from Def Leppard

White Lightning:You gotta taste that sweetness Cause you can't say no. But are you ready for the nightmare when you can't let go.

From The Inside:I will rise, I will take you. I will break you, never let you go. I'll shoot through your veins. I'll drive you insane. I'll poison your breath. And I'll love you to death

gwolfe1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwolfe1

Running to Stand Still by U2 gets my vote as best anti-drug song

valinor13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages valinor13
blackcatula wrote:Styx's "Snowblind" comes to mind. It's mostly a lament about the depression of addiction to cocaine, but given that it showed up late in the band's game (during the time it was arguably at its most progressive period), I think it's fair to say that it hits with a particularly edgy tone.

I came here to post this. I was sure Styx wouldn't get recognition, so props!

Since you took mine, I will throw out :Slow Motion - Third Eye Blind: as a compliment. I know it's not 80's, but it's about the social aspects of coke abuse. Funny, their song Semi-Charmed Life is also about crack cocaine.

seinjunkie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seinjunkie

My friend Marcus dug up everything he could find scattered across the wasteland that is the internet to piece together the puzzle that was the 80s PSA "One Dumb Move" (Can blow your groove).

I think this informal collection is incomplete without it.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Mama Told Me Not to Come - written by Randy Newman and first recorded by Eric Burdon & The Animals. While the lyrics are much tamer than a lot of the above, it's still anti-drug cuz Mama told him not to go!

I love the Three Dog Night version:
Mama Told Me (Not to Come)

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

DrPepper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrPepper

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom
Bethy54 wrote:No one has mentioned "Cold Turkey" by John Lennon. Glad someone mentioned "The Pusher".

I still say "Sid and Nancy" is the best anti-drug film ever made. They didn't make it look the least bit enticing.

Requiem for a Dream.