jfennell16675

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfennell16675

Im not say this isn't a set of good sounding speakers. but what I am saying is there is no such thing as a 2.1 speaker system. the ".1" denotes a dedicated LFE channel and no one mixes in stereo with a dedicated LFE. its just a crossover that sends all the low information to the sub instead of the tiny speakers.

landsnark

quality posts: 10 Private Messages landsnark
MarWillis wrote:Best product description ever.

Hear, hear.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 25 Private Messages gusvonpooch
smithj33 wrote:That description must have been written by a new staff member at woot. It is written with the humor and intelligence of a 16 year old. It was also a weak jab at a product that doesn't exist. The iPod and iPad have been sold on woot, so I guess they were as ill-fated as the upcoming Surface....

Sad description Woot. New website layout sucks and you hired some crappy intern to write your descriptions now. Can Woot sell itself on Woot?

You should go to work for Woot and straighten all these problems out. Very hard to belive Woot actually makes money with 16 year old interns and a nasty website,it's your civic duty to fix things!
Speakers and price looks goood to me,now to check my bank balance.

kh99

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kh99
mambojuice wrote:The volume control for these is on the subwoofer? Like, on the floor? Seems inconvenient.

I believe it's intended to be a desktop system, like for your computer or mp3. It's small (4" x 5" x 5"), only 25 watts, and has a min frequency of 80Hz, so I wouldn't worry about needing to put it on the floor.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages hehthuryo
pjoeltyler wrote:Cheaper from some sellers on Amazon. -_-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005XSXB5U/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I prefer to buy from Woot! Even at a higher price because they are much more dependable to buy from.

rkstevens

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rkstevens
Sure, the subwoofer provides more than enough thumping bass for music, but it also lets us highlight the laughable game of catch-up that Microsoft seems perpetually trapped in. "People want phones?? Quick, do what Apple and Google did 5 years ago!" "Tablets? Uhhh, uhhhh, OK! Presentations with dudes in v-neck sweaters? You got it!"

The writers need to do their research. Microsoft had a phone on the market in 2002, years before Apple or Google even thought about having such a thing. I know a lot of Apple fanboys like to think Steve Jobs invented everything though...

And Microsoft also had a tablet out that was running XP before the ipad came out. It wasn't a watered-down easy to use OS, but it was a tablet. They had those small palm/folio PC's around 2000 running Windows CE. Apple had the Newton too around that time.

wtdash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wtdash

Uh...'headphone input'? Headphone OUTput or AUX INput. explain, please.

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

Loved the product description! Keep up the great work @wootlive.

raproo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raproo

if all woot sells is failed products... then that makes this a failed product in which case... why do I bother looking at this site. I think i'll quit wasting my time here because woot only sells failed products. thanks for the headsup woot. oh and what kind of morron fell for the buy music on iTunes so you can't use it anywhere but on your personal apple stuff??? talk about DUMB! there are tons of music services out there selling straight up 320kbps mp3s, why lock yourself in? or there's my personal favorite, just buy the cd and put the music in whatever format you want, whenever, aka full ownership of what you buy... clearly this post was written by a typical apple fan, aka morron. ps-purposely misspelled things to avoid woot censorship

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
raproo wrote:if all woot sells is failed products... then that makes this a failed product in which case... why do I bother looking at this site. I think i'll quit wasting my time here because woot only sells failed products. thanks for the headsup woot. oh and what kind of morron fell for the buy music on iTunes so you can't use it anywhere but on your personal apple stuff??? talk about DUMB! there are tons of music services out there selling straight up 320kbps mp3s, why lock yourself in? or there's my personal favorite, just buy the cd and put the music in whatever format you want, whenever, aka full ownership of what you buy... clearly this post was written by a typical apple fan, aka morron. ps-purposely misspelled things to avoid woot censorship

Wow. Your statement saved me lots keystrokes. I agree with you totally. But with these speakers can't Klipsh make a subwoofer using a 1" woofer instead of that huge 3" one?

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

kh99 wrote:I believe it's intended to be a desktop system, like for your computer or mp3. It's small (4" x 5" x 5"), only 25 watts, and has a min frequency of 80Hz, so I wouldn't worry about needing to put it on the floor.

I would wager that the advertised 80 Hz is measured at -12dB. In other words, almost non-existant. The reality is a 3" driver cannot reproduce any frequencies below 125 Hz.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

rick1972

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rick1972

I have their Energy Take Classic 5.1 home theater and it's fantastic (and they have an "outstanding" rating at CNet too). I have to believe the 2.1 system is a quality product.

jangofeet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jangofeet
mambojuice wrote:The volume control for these is on the subwoofer? Like, on the floor? Seems inconvenient.

Also, Microsoft has had tablets since Windows XP.

It's a forward facing sub, so no need to put it on the floor.

Ringo4422

jangofeet wrote:It's a forward facing sub, so no need to put it on the floor.

Any speaker placed on the floor will reinforce bass response significantly. It doesn't matter whether it is floor firing or front. It's purely a scientific fact.

JAFU

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JAFU

Most folks put the sub on the floor, so having to reach down to adjust volume makes no sense.

raproo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raproo
allibyx wrote:If the pro version (which I was more referring to) ends up sitting over the $1000 range, this entire ordeal might end up being just another marketing gimmick since the exact technology has already been out there for a while (i.e. Samsung 7 and Asus EP121).

by Samsung 7, I assume you mean galaxy tab 7? in which case it isn't a true comparison as it isn't using the same processor, isn't the same size, and doesn't come with a keyboard, and doesn't have the same sdd size. all things to consider when balking at price...

if you compare to a maxed out ipad then, you are looking at $830+ tax, and you still need to buy peripherals to have the same complete package.

the asus on the other hand is a good comparison for the upcoming MS stuff, and seeing that it runs win 7 means it should run win8 pro just fine. so if your going to balk at price make sure you know what the fair market value is for these things... (at time of this writing the asus b121-a1 has msrp $1,500 and is on sale at amazon for $1,200, http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Slate-B121-A1-12-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B005HV3IMY/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1340460015&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+eee+slate)

I would imagine the new MS surface coming in at or below this price point in time for this holiday shopping season and sales.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen
jangofeet wrote:It's a forward facing sub, so no need to put it on the floor.

Ring4422 is dead on. Any speaker can be coupled to an adjacent surface.The greatest effect is in the low freq. range and most effective placed in a corner.

allibyx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages allibyx
raproo wrote:by Samsung 7, I assume you mean galaxy tab 7? in which case it isn't a true comparison as it isn't using the same processor, isn't the same size, and doesn't come with a keyboard, and doesn't have the same sdd size. all things to consider when balking at price...

Not the galaxy tab 7, the Series 7 Slate, which is a full computer compressed into a small size that (no offense to iPad purists) is not a toy. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-XE700T1A-A01US-11-6-Inch-Slate/dp/B005OUQ9JC

Same overall functionality of the EP121, slightly different size/hardware. Both are same price range so choice between purchasing either is a matter of taste.

As far as pricing for the surface, there are already rumors going around.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-Surface-prices-to-start-from-599-for-RT-999-for-Pro_id31505

Not bad for professionals, but I doubt the average joe would spend $999 if all they want is a consumption device even with the included add-ons, especially with cheaper versions of the iPad around. But again, they're not selling it as a toy.

b00ks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages b00ks

Weirdest product description ever.

I'm not a tablet guy at all, in fact I never have seen a niche that they fill that my phone or my laptop doesn't... but that said, I was more intrigued with the new windows one than anything else I have seen.

It seems that they finally bridged the gap with a powerful tablet, and one that didn't force you to buy a bunch of crazy accessories... which is perhaps one of the reasons woot dislikes it. They won't be able to sell any stupid third party MSurface stands, cases, docks, chargers, etc

Either way, I don't know a lot about these speakers... but the only apple bashing makes me really think that woot has gone the way of digg v4.

kh99

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kh99
jiggersgreen wrote:Ring4422 is dead on. Any speaker can be coupled to an adjacent surface.The greatest effect is in the low freq. range and most effective placed in a corner.

But that's for very low frequencies, which this 3" speaker doesn't even produce (in spite of the fact that they've chosen to call it a subwoofer). For very low frequencies the position relative to the listener doesn't matter as much. Otherwise, having the speaker in front of you is going to be more important, so that it sounds like it's coming from the same place as the tweeters.

williedillon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages williedillon

Probably the worst product description I've ever seen.

cyclone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cyclone

Typically you use this volume control to set a mid-level volume, and then you use the volume control on your computer for the day-to-day adjustments.

asiancoolio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asiancoolio

Subs are typically placed on the floor...why in the world would you place volume controls on the sub instead of the desk speakers?

syphen9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages syphen9

Nice description Woot!... Nice...

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia
asiancoolio wrote:Subs are typically placed on the floor...why in the world would you place volume controls on the sub instead of the desk speakers?

Because its designed to be hooked up to a computer or MP3 player which has its own independent volume control. So you set it to the volume you want the highest volume to be, and forget about it.

freetek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages freetek
Ringo4422 wrote:I would wager that the advertised 80 Hz is measured at -12dB. In other words, almost non-existant. The reality is a 3" driver cannot reproduce any frequencies below 125 Hz.

Hey, maybe it has a 6" throw? After all, ya just have ta move air, right?

Freedom is inversely proportional to the size of government.

ermine4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ermine4

I can tell from the product description that you seriously need a history lesson when it comes to technology. Microsoft had both phones and tablets long before Apple or Google. I thought it was funny at first because of how inaccurate your statements were but then you ragged on your own company a little bit too hard, making me rethink using Woot! in the future since apparently all you sell is failed technology. Well, I will enjoy the Surface tablet and you can have fun being bitter about your predictions proving false.

Ringo4422

freetek wrote:Hey, maybe it has a 6" throw? After all, ya just have ta move air, right?

That would be awesome. I'd love to see a 3" speaker move 6".

TheStarsFan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheStarsFan

I'm all for taking shots at the big guys from time to time, but I thought this was a bit over the top. It seemed petty, and spiteful instead of funny because it just went on, and on, and on with it. Take your shot and get out, or it looks bad on you.

As for the product(since the rant wasn't much help), I have the Energy 5.1 system in my living room and LOVE it. Tremendous bang for your buck. I also have the Klipsch 2.1 on my computer and love it equally as much. I'm not going to get all propeller-head here and talk specs, I just know that I have been very happy with Klipsch and Energy.

Tempted to get this one for the wife.

doctordawg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doctordawg
JAFU wrote:Most folks put the sub on the floor, so having to reach down to adjust volume makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense. Volume should be set once and forgotten at the speaker. Set the volume knobs on this to be as loud as you ever want it to be when your computer software volume is set to max, then adjust volume on your computer from then on. BTW, if you're installing it on a desktop semi-permanently, because there's no weird cable to the satellite speakers, you can put the subwoofer in the corner of the room where it belongs, then use RCA extension cables to put the satellites anywhere you want.

flashbeezy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flashbeezy

You can tell the microsoft fan boys can't take a joke....or simply wish they had some koolaid.

Seriously...the surface will be a flop just like the rest. Zunebin it goes.

doctordawg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doctordawg
kh99 wrote:But that's for very low frequencies, which this 3" speaker doesn't even produce (in spite of the fact that they've chosen to call it a subwoofer). For very low frequencies the position relative to the listener doesn't matter as much. Otherwise, having the speaker in front of you is going to be more important, so that it sounds like it's coming from the same place as the tweeters.

Nope. Not true. Low frequencies cannot be sourced very well at all by human hearing. Wavelengths longer than the width of your head rely on volume and not phase for your brain to locate, with the "shadow" created by your noggin slightly reducing the energy to the far ear compared to the close ear. The louder the wave, the harder to source. Oversimplified, but that'd be the physics.

BTW, eighth-spacing (corner of the room) woofers will give you an 18db boost into the room if you wanna dance to this little guy.

milesobrien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages milesobrien
ienvyno1 wrote:Yeah. You can make comments about European products and the economy and be censored, but it's all fair game to down an American product and post it.

American product?? Manufactured in China just like the "European" products.

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr
fooknboomn wrote:This looks so cheap (low quality) but if made by Klipsch, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Klipsch isn't what it used to be- they import cheap Chinese junk and slap their name on it these days. They rely on people like you. I took a chance on some Energy speakers and they are terrible. Look cool, sound like butt.

benisntfunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benisntfunny
raproo wrote:...iTunes so you can't use it anywhere but on your personal apple stuff???

You know that's completely false right? -- and the only reason it was true before was mostly related to the music companies not Apple.

williedillon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages williedillon
flashbeezy wrote:You can tell the microsoft fan boys can't take a joke....or simply wish they had some koolaid.

Seriously...the surface will be a flop just like the rest. Zunebin it goes.

Why will it be a flop? Because it doesn't have an Apple logo on it?

markfrasier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markfrasier

THe controls being on the sub kills it for me, since normally you place that in an out of the way spot

Burning-Chrome

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Burning-Chrome
smithj33 wrote:That description must have been written by a new staff member at woot. It is written with the humor and intelligence of a 16 year old. It was also a weak jab at a product that doesn't exist. The iPod and iPad have been sold on woot, so I guess they were as ill-fated as the upcoming Surface....

Sad description Woot. New website layout sucks and you hired some crappy intern to write your descriptions now. Can Woot sell itself on Woot?

Agreed.

vegasj0nes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vegasj0nes

Also, Microsoft has had tablets since Windows XP.

No, that looks like where it is screwed into the stand. The volume control you can see in the pic. Someone may have answered this already but I just saw your question.

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389

I think im going to pass also. I really want to replace my 10+ year old Altec Lansing 2.1 setup (you know the off white square ones EVERYONE HAD) but i just cant find a 2.1 for a decent price that sounds as good lol