WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Pretty sweet new banner, right? Hey, happy Music Monday! Today we're gonna be exploring summer, perhaps the strangest and most magical strangest season of all. Maybe that's because we spend almost two decades depending on it and then our very first real job it all gets taken away. Who among us WOULDN'T go back to childish summer days? Maybe that's why musicians seem to enjoy exploring what summer means… or maybe it's because a good summer anthem can sell for three months straight. Scott's gonna be naming five of his favorite summertime songs below, and then it'll be your turn right after! Here's a little taste…

The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer In The City

Can anyone imagine a world where this song was new? Even if you were alive before it appeared, tell the truth: that mix of organ and whip-snapping vocals just fit, didn't it? Like the world was always waiting for it to appear? If you've ever walked anywhere on a hot day, or stayed out late on a hot night, you'll understand the way this song feels. When music sweats, this is what it sounds like.

After the jump you'll find the rest of the songs, last week's Spotify play list, and a chance to leave your own summertime hits in the comments. See you there?

As always, before we cannonball into the deep end, remember our weekly Spotify playlist will be featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. The theme of the mix this time is Decent Anti-Drug Songs and it's great way to test out those cool new Spotify mobile apps! But before you enjoy the flashbacks, let's check out this week's Music Monday below.

The Drifters - Under The Boardwalk

Nothing to do, no responsibilities, nowhere to be until late, it's a perfect time to sneak off together. The Drifters' ode to summer romance captures the joy of summer love so very well. Warm, happy vocals make this classic a rarity: a summer song that can't really be overplayed.

Grease Soundtrack - Summer Nights

Suck it up, Glee. Everything you are, you owe to a movie so cool it changed Olivia Newton-John from this to this. This classic ode to the glory of high school summers has stayed popular over the years and even today remains still fresh enough to be enjoyed by a a new generation of high schoolers. What other musical can say THAT?

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Summertime

I'm pretty sure this song could qualify as a list if it really wanted to, but it's likely too busy cruisin' down those summer streets. One of the first real grown-up hits from the Philadelphia duo, this song is less zany and more smooth, and pretty much moved them from their old '80s persona to the new '90s style. And it's still radio-friendly enough to get your head bobbing on that road trip to the beach.

Don Henley - Boys of Summer

Much like Frank Sinatra's Summer Wind, this is a song about the end of summer, when all those feelings of regret begin to appear. You could have done this, you could have done that, if only there had been more time, if only fall was further away. We include it as the closer not to make you feel bad but rather to remind you that summer, like life, is fleeting. And you should make the most of the next nine or so weeks, because you'll miss them when they're gone.

Now it's your turn. Help us talk about summer by adding your favorite summer hit to the comments below. Then, after you're all warmed up, hit the Turntable.fm room for our regular Music Monday experience. As always, images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

ssmith34

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ssmith34

The turntable in the banner doesn't look quite right. unless it is a side view, or you enjoy listening to albums backwards. I understand, you kids never had one....

jeremy01506

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeremy01506

I can't believe you forgot Y&T:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b2SVxOPwww

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

Who can forget the Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" or the more recent Kid Rock song "All Summer Long"? A couple other oldies include "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry and "Hot Fun in the Summertime" by Sly and the Family Stone.

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

My favorite summertime song was always The Who's version of "Summertime Blues". In my college days, Alice Cooper's "School's Out" was popular, too.

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

nemo2005

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nemo2005

The audio on Henley's "Boys of Summer" is a little fast and makes it sound like Don has his balls in a vise.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

LFO was never a favorite of mine but SummerGirls is pretty Summer-y.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

nemo2005 wrote:The audio on Henley's "Boys of Summer" is a little fast and makes it sound like Don has his balls in a vise.

Ha, you make a good point. I swapped it out for a better version.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

ssmith34 wrote:The turntable in the banner doesn't look quite right. unless it is a side view, or you enjoy listening to albums backwards. I understand, you kids never had one....

I just figured our art department had one of these.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

mraudioguru

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mraudioguru

Here's the definitive summertime hit from long ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc9wIzi96_E

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99

"Summer Nights" by Van Halen, can't beat it!

"Ain't no way I'm sittin' at home tonight"

nemo2005

Slydon wrote:Ha, you make a good point. I swapped it out for a better version.

Much better!

capster101

quality posts: 3 Private Messages capster101

"Sugar Magnolia" - Grateful Dead
Cut off shorts, swimming at the quarry, campfire nights, sweet summertime

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

You could include just about any song from the Beach Boys, but since "summer" is the theme, how about "All Summer Long".

CatCK

On the mellow side ...

"Summer Breeze" by Seals & Croft

"... blowing through the jasmine in my mind."

DemonMF777

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DemonMF777

Tom Cochrane's 'Life is A Highway' always seemed like a 'Summer' song to me... gets me thinking of great Summer memories from when I was a kid.

Woodpecker

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woodpecker

And of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NVVe1DkVsQ

mod edit: fixed that link for ya

CatCK

One more - here is Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood singing "Summer Wine"

Which really isn't about summer at all, is it?

Woah.

richmondhokie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages richmondhokie

CCR's Centerfield - What is more summer than Baseball?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

I'm going to like to the obvious one and then embed the good one. modest mouse - summer. It's just a feel-good carefree summer song about gettin drunk, stealing cars and since it was recorded ~96 the excitement of the new millennium. Definitely a great summer song.

Que Onda Guero- by Beck.

The honkin horns, laughing yelling whistling and talking in the background really paints a picture and if you close your eyes you can picture cholos in their lowriders, produce vans and taco trucks. You can almost feel the hot summer heat this is Definitely a great summer song.

Also- Sorry if I'm less coherent than normal or the videos are terrible, this was posted via mobile phone and I can't really double check those too well.

nemo2005

How about The Sundays "Summertime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z778slDEsds

1starfish

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 1starfish

I always liked summertime girls from y&t.
Also, lest we forget walking on sunshine by katrina and the waves.

nemo2005

Just remembered a few more...Saturday in the Park (Chicago), Soak Up The Sun (Sheryl Crow) and Cruel Summer (Bananarama).

terryetchepare

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terryetchepare

One of my favorites, really signals to me that summer is HERE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxVLHaHUI4E

Another version showing the artists performing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfUrt_newk&feature=related

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099

Sublime 'summer time'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayE6Shlv598
For me, basically anything by Reel Big Fish, or any ska, really.
Boys of Summer is perfect, and the Beach Boys, def.
I second Que Onda, too! That one is so great. Beck's a genius

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99
nemo2005 wrote:How about The Sundays "Summertime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z778slDEsds

Great great song! Thanks for the reminder

terryetchepare

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terryetchepare

Beautiful song! Brings back happy memories!

Catstaff1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Catstaff1
mraudioguru wrote:Here's the definitive summertime hit from long ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc9wIzi96_E

Love this! Also, the Kinks' "Lazin' on a Sunny Afternoon," "Summertime" by Sam Cooke, or anything by the Beach Boys.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster

Let's not forget this chill summer tune by War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQAlfyaKyc

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

loaf7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages loaf7

Wipeout - Surfaris
Surf City - Jan & Dean

ssmith34

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ssmith34
Slydon wrote:I just figured our art department had one of these.

I had a Kenner Close 'n Play in the early 70s. it only played 45's. You close the lid and it starts playing. Foolproof!

tldqykk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tldqykk

hot fun in the summertimee
sly and the family stonee

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

The song Steal My Sunshine by Len has a summery vibe

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Good morning Shonen Knife freaks!
Shonen Knife - Summertime Boogie - YouTube

When I was a kid (fuzzy memory coming on...), I remember going to the welcome home parade thing in Albuquerque for the pilots of the Double Eagle II. It was hot, I didn't want to be there, I wanted to be home watching cartoons. I distincly remember this song coming on the radio. Nick Gilder - Hot Child In The City - YouTube. Awesome mis-heard lyric: Runnin' wild in the confritti!

larkor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larkor
CatCK wrote:One more - here is Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood singing "Summer Wine"

Which really isn't about summer at all, is it?

Woah.

Not a summer song, but check out Nancy and Lee's "Some Velvet Morning". One of my all time faves.

kbruton

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbruton

Wipeout by the Surfaris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWis1bVB3w&feature=g-all-u

tslothrop

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tslothrop

Granted, it doesn't have the easy feel of some of the others, but it is Summertime and it is Janis.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Ice Cream Man.

majekman76

quality posts: 1 Private Messages majekman76

Dancing Days, Led Zeppelin. "I saw a lion, he was standing alone with a tadpole in a jar." That's summertime!

Sooner or later, it all comes down to money...

richmondhokie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages richmondhokie
richmondhokie wrote:CCR's Centerfield - What is more summer than Baseball?

My mistake - I did not realize this was a post CCR song by John Fogerty....I was just a kid then.....

Still earned me a Quality Post