WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If you haven't heard the news or you're one of those Luddites who refuses to get a Facebook account (how could you hold out after reading all the positive press lately?), Facebook recently pissed off pretty much everyone with an account by changing their default contact email to [username]@facebook.com without telling anyone. Oh, that's not entirely true. Facebook kinda sorta mentioned it might happen back in April, so as far as they're concerned you've got no right to be upset. Even though they straight up lied:

"We are providing every Facebook user with his or her own Facebook email address because we find that many users find it useful to connect with each other, but using Facebook email is completely up to you." That's the official line they sent out two months ago, so you could argue "completely up to you" might have misled people into thinking it was, y'know, up to them.

But whatever. It took all of five minutes to hunt down the settings and switch my email back; in the grand scheme of wrongs the universe has inflicted on me, it was pretty low on the list. But then I realized something: Facebook's email isn't actually an email client. Any email you send to a Facebook email addy shows up as an Instant Message for the user. That's the way Facebook intended it, it's kind of dumb to me, but whatever. The point is now every spambot this side of Russia has a direct pipeline to your Facebook inbox.

See, your Facebook email addy is your username, which is also your unique URL on the site. So if you know my URL is facebook.com/llandar, you now ALSO know you can send me an IM by emailing llandar@facebook.

And why wouldn't you want to befriend me?

This isn't a new problem, email clients have been fighting dictionary and brute force attacks like this since there was email, but because of that battle they've evolved specialized and accurate spam filters. Some are better than others, but the point is they're pretty good at filtering out the bogus.

So far as I know Facebook's only means of spam prevention is to have each user individually report a message as spam. That's fine when you only occasionally get random half-empty profiles with pictures of busty teenage girls asking you if you like to have fun, but with the entire world now able to hit you up at a moment's notice, de-spamming your inbox is going to be a full-time job. And what about those of us who aren't so savvy at recognizing a 419 scam? Is your grandma on Facebook? What about your tech-illiterate dad? Are they going to be able to figure out what's going on when suddenly dozens of strangers are messaging them to say hi and ask if they need deals on Canadian pharmacy drugs?

Am I overreacting? Probably, but that's sort of what I get paid to do. But I can't help but wonder if Facebook, the world's biggest customer information pimp, didn't already plan this out as a better way to sell off mailing lists.

Is Randall paranoid? Are you worried about more spam in your life? Do you even have a Facebook account? Want to be friends? Let us know in the comments!

luvduchovny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvduchovny

I hear you. Another "nifty" thing they have done at least to their android app, is when folks reply to something you post on FB you get it as a notification on your phone at the top of the screen (if you have the FB app installed). Seriously I don't want notifications to turn up on my phone like that. I'll have to wade through the app settings and turn that off. (If it is possible that is).

I'm too lazy for signatures... oh, okay not completely lazy.

navarr6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages navarr6

I don't think this is the problem you think it is.

The annoying bit of this problem, is that people are going to try to email me @facebook and they're going to wind up in the "Other" folder under Messages because they're not on my friend's list and thus, Facebook doesn't think they're important enough to show me their messages unless I'm browsing through my inbox already.

feliphilia

quality posts: 6 Private Messages feliphilia

Luddite I may be, but I don't, and won't, have a facebook account. I don't have a computer named after a fruit either, and facebook is a great place to pick up viruses. What I do have already is plenty of ways to waste time. I don't need another one.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve
feliphilia wrote:I don't have a computer named after a fruit either

Why does everyone always have to hate on my computer? This Stephen Fry i7 ultrabook is the best computer I've ever had.

paperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paperman

OK Woot! Here's your chance. Start Wootface a site with no tracking or info selling like facebook. Just have woot/amazon product ads with special wootface discounts. You would bring facebook to it's knees.

eroach

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eroach

I haven't been on facebook in over a year because it just annoys the piss out of me.

Kewl helmet, though.

loatu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages loatu

Ya, if this does result in me getting any kind of significant spam, I'm deleting my account.

hayesjc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hayesjc

How on earth am I supposed to get through the Supreme Court nomination vetting process if I have a Facebook account?? I can just see Hatch and Schumer giving me grief for reposting cute cat pics.

So, in the interest of my future employment, no Facebook for me.

fldeals

quality posts: 25 Private Messages fldeals

Facebook? Is that thing still around?

X34

KidOtaku

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KidOtaku

I love that hat!

That said, I went into my settings to delete this facebook mail deal, and it is not possible.
At least, I can't figure it out.

I would dearly love to know what you did to get it out of your profile.

nancy33498

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nancy33498

no one writes to me anyway; it's a non-issue.

Nancy Snap

pmillsrulz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pmillsrulz

Facebook is no longer a part of my life mainly because of Mafia Wars--had become a Consigliere, winning boss fights, was moving into Las Vegas--and I realized that was no way to live. The drain of a showgirl wife, threats on the lives of my children, plus, it's difficult to get a concealed carry permit. Nope, just better to stay off it.

c4warhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c4warhead

Anything that is so easy to join and so difficult to quit reeks of dishonesty. FB is for those who can't handle real relationships and who crave opinion validation from strangers.

RivkaGoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RivkaGoldstein

I don't like that many blogs, letters to the editor, etc, force you to reply via facebook --

I do not need all my facebook friends seeing that I made a comment on a news topic --

Like to keep my 9 lives separate, if you know what I mean...

Cloud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cloud
c4warhead wrote:Anything that is so easy to join and so difficult to quit reeks of dishonesty. FB is for those who can't handle real relationships and who crave opinion validation from strangers.

Hear! Hear!

maliron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maliron
feliphilia wrote:Luddite I may be, but I don't, and won't, have a facebook account. I don't have a computer named after a fruit either, and facebook is a great place to pick up viruses. What I do have already is plenty of ways to waste time. I don't need another one.

Word... I told my wife long ago, that if she ever saw me with a FB account, just assume I was cheating. From what I've seen its only use is to hook up with old flings, and drama gossip because you wish you where still in high school.

zingriffy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zingriffy

I didn't know about all this, Randall, and apparently the spammers don't either because I haven't gotten a message in I don't know how long.

P.S. I would love to be your friend.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
KidOtaku wrote:I love that hat!

That said, I went into my settings to delete this facebook mail deal, and it is not possible.

I don't know that DELETING it is possible, but googling "change Facebook email" should give you a number of lists detailing how to hide it on your profile.

Jasontheperson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jasontheperson

Sure is a whole bunch of old heads with no friends in this thread.

Seriously though, Facebook does not (at least for me) replace real life relationships, it enhances them. It's so much easier to throw a party when you have an accurate list of people you want to hang out with, and can contact them in a way you're sure they'll check.

lithanus00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lithanus00

Like I need another spam magnet?

I just sent facebook feedback on this. I don't need or want this service. I really don't want the spam this is likely to create. It hardly takes a genius to create a script to start searching facebook pages and counting through 1-4 digit numbers does it?

I thought they wanted their stock price to come back up?

capturedbykc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capturedbykc

I didn't appreciate that they went in and made the @facebook.com email my primary email but I have my profile is set to private where only friends can see it and my email information as well as some other information on my info page is not available for viewing from people who are not on my friends list so it really isn't a big deal for me. You can easily go in within the settings and change you email that you set back to the primary email.

As far as Facebook being a place just for childish, dramatic people or people who do nothing but play games... this is simply not always the case. I also don't get viruses from FB either. I utilize FB for a variety of things including having a biz page as well as being a member of a few group pages (not the same as a fan page)but I use it mainly as a way to continuously associate & make plans with real world friends and family- some close by that I see in life and some who have moved away that I enjoy keeping contact with.

feliphilia

quality posts: 6 Private Messages feliphilia
SESteve wrote:Why does everyone always have to hate on my computer? This Stephen Fry i7 ultrabook is the best computer I've ever had.

Oh no hate here! I love the fruit-flavored laptops and would have one if I could afford it. Love the OS, love the graphics, love the dependability.

xeju

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xeju

I don't even know why I looked at this post... Yes I do. It's a Woot! Off and something sucky isn't selling.

Anyway, what I found interesting was that I always used to have to defend myself for never joining facebook. Now it looks like many more users (at least among this community) are on the defensive.

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt

This type of horseplay doesn't happen on MySpace.... And I can find all the 60 year old women I can handle

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

purgeme

quality posts: 5 Private Messages purgeme

I now reserve Facebook to 5 minutes about twice a week. I find that is enough time to keep up with family and zip past all the posts from all the Facebook DJ's that post youtube music videos(really? if I wanted to see that I would have searched for it myself, don't post another stinkin BeeGee's tribute video or your out of the family for good!). If Facebook really wanted to be helpful they would create an "Un-family" button to go with the "un-friend".

Jeus

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Jeus

llanda llan

We must hear more of this helmet, was it worn during D&D (I hope it was)

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com                                                                                                           (8:11 AM, 7/9/2010) Jeus framed the first letter of its kind

llandar

capturedbykc wrote:I didn't appreciate that they went in and made the @facebook.com email my primary email but I have my profile is set to private where only friends can see it and my email information as well as some other information on my info page is not available for viewing from people who are not on my friends list so it really isn't a big deal for me. You can easily go in within the settings and change you email that you set back to the primary email.

Except if I want to spam you, I don't have to find your email any more. I just have to hit Facebook.com to find your username URL and send away.

llandar

Jeus wrote:llanda llan

We must hear more of this helmet, was it worn during D&D (I hope it was)

It was a Midsommar party last weekend at my Swedish friend's house. I was repeatedly told I was the most Swedish-looking dude there, despite not knowing any Swedish.

My friend spends several months infusing various vodkas to celebrate the occasion, so it was basically an 8-hour vodka tasting. Someone produced a viking helmet (they're Swedes, I assume they come standard issue at birth) and I was dubbed the Vodka Viking.

crimsonladybug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crimsonladybug

So you delete the @facebook.com email address from your account. Big fat hairy deal. Your old address(es) is still on there; they didn't get rid of anything. And for the record, if you happen by your own profile once in a while, there was a ginormous banner across the top of the page for a few days that said "Your Facebook email is now blah@facebook.com. To use this email, do nothing, to change it go here, do this." Or something to that effect. It wasn't a big secret, or lie, just kind of a super hushed reveal.

sakioki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakioki
KidOtaku wrote:I love that hat!

Just go in to your FB page, ABOUT, then CONTACT INFO - and choose edit. Use the radio buttons to select "ONLY ME" for viewing and "HIDE FROM TIMELINE".
Rat bastards.

llandar

crimsonladybug wrote:So you delete the @facebook.com email address from your account. Big fat hairy deal. Your old address(es) is still on there; they didn't get rid of anything.

Missed. The. Point.

Jeus

llandar wrote:It was a Midsommar party last weekend at my Swedish friend's house. I was repeatedly told I was the most Swedish-looking dude there, despite not knowing any Swedish.

My friend spends several months infusing various vodkas to celebrate the occasion, so it was basically an 8-hour vodka tasting. Someone produced a viking helmet (they're Swedes, I assume they come standard issue at birth) and I was dubbed the Vodka Viking.

Your real story sounds cooler, being vodka king and all, than the dream of it being worn during D&D.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com                                                                                                           (8:11 AM, 7/9/2010) Jeus framed the first letter of its kind

Jeus

llandar wrote:Missed. The. Point.

They missed the point and made their first post EVER just to let you know how hard they missed the point.

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
llandar wrote:I was dubbed the Vodka Viking.

You are so stinkin cute!
I really think FB and Google and Apple and Amazon are gonna go head to head in a World Domination Battle!! and that helmet is really gonna come in handy for you. Got any extra? I think I'll wear long braids with mine.

stnickk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stnickk

Can I turn off the junk mail? Seriously, junk mail went from a paltry 25-35 a day to over 300 in April. I suspect FB, but am open to other suggestions.
I have learned a lot from this discussion, maybe being your "Dad's" age. harump. I can still learn. Yes, I started with punch cards and that's all I'll say about my age with computers, except I learned to love DOS. So, FB is annoying and I find it hard to navigate, even to say Hi to friends. A lot of junk mail has suddenly started showing up in the in box. Canadian Pharmacy, lol, I read the sending country and it is NEVER Canada.

llandar

Jeus wrote:They missed the point and made their first post EVER just to let you know how hard they missed the point.

Oooh, good point! Someone tell the boss I helped generate a new account!