brianpitt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianpitt
madmanjustice wrote:yes, it comes with 4 cameras and you can add 4 more

Thanks!

chenvej

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chenvej

nicklcarey: Thanks for a ton of useful information!

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
geraldnc wrote:Can one run this straight to a TV? I'd love to run it tot he living room Vizio through one of the sources and be able to quickly change the TV source to these cameras to see who's at the door, or who's just come up the driveway. I would think this would be possible.

I believe this outputs VGA and Composite video. So if your TV accepts VGA you are golden. Otherwise you will need to use standard definition composite video using a long 75 ohm coaxial cable.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ezpcconcepts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezpcconcepts
Ringo4422 wrote:This appears to be a very good deal. As someone else pointed out, the CCD cameras included in this are rated at over 400 TV lines and are high resolution, and are generally better than CMOS type for this application. Also, to make a nice clean installation, you can run your own cable using ordinary CAT5 ethernet cable that will supply power, video and audio using inexpensive baluns that convert 75 ohm to 300 ohm. You can then run up to 1000' of cable.

I am intereseted in 2 of theres and would like to get mor infor about the cat5 method you mention here ringo... can you please provide a link to find out how to do this?

jaredutah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaredutah
Ezpcconcepts wrote:I am intereseted in 2 of theres and would like to get mor infor about the cat5 method you mention here ringo... can you please provide a link to find out how to do this?

Would you use something like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Passive-CCTV-BALUN-Video/dp/B0069MJ6SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340897252&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+video+power+balun+cat5

01bar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 01bar

About thr harddrive, does anyone know if I need an external H/D or internal H/D?

01bar

porriello

quality posts: 1 Private Messages porriello
helibobber wrote:I've been researching these for a while. I've learned that you can put a standard 500GB hard drive (recommended minimum) in it but since they run 24/7 the HD
will likely fail in a couple months. You need to get an AV designated drive which can take continuous usage. The drives merely screw in and internal connectors are included. It will self format.

Given your research what brand/model would be of high quality at a higher price point than this woot for 8 exterior cameras running 24/7?

scottiffani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottiffani
brianpitt wrote:Can someone confirm if you can add additional cameras to this system in the future? It says it has 8 video input channels and 4 audio channels, but I can't confirm in the picture or on zmodo.com and it doesn't say anywhere "supports up to XX cameras". They have so many combo options it's making my head spin!

You can add upto 8 cameras total. If you want more than 8, you would need additional dvr's.

davidmcdougall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davidmcdougall

Can this be used with a wireless access point if I use it in an area that does not have hard wire access?

If it's not Scottish it's crap

madmanjustice

quality posts: 2 Private Messages madmanjustice
01bar wrote:About thr harddrive, does anyone know if I need an external H/D or internal H/D?

internal SATA drive

How the heck did I get a Quality post?

01bar

madmanjustice wrote:internal SATA drive

madmanjustice, once again thanks for all the info

01bar

Ringo4422

jaredutah wrote:Would you use something like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Passive-CCTV-BALUN-Video/dp/B0069MJ6SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340897252&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+video+power+balun+cat5

This is similar to what I was describing. But this one only does power and video and costs $12 each. Screw terminal type are available from eBay distributers in China for about $.99 each but takes about 3 weeks to get. They work fine. This eliminates the need to use ethernet connectors.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Alb4ty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Alb4ty

BRN-DD-SBN8 (DVR-H9108V)-StandAlone DVR

Video System: NTSC/PAL

BRN-COR-BCS23NMCM (CM-P12613SV)-Bullet Camera

TV System: NTSC

Could someone please explain to me what these statements mean? I need to use this system abroad where only PAL/SECAM is availabe.
Thanks

Ringo4422

Ezpcconcepts wrote:I am intereseted in 2 of theres and would like to get mor infor about the cat5 method you mention here ringo... can you please provide a link to find out how to do this?

Now this is a good deal...
www.ebay.com/itm/10Sets-CAT5-to-BNC-Coaxial-Video-Balun-plus-2-1mm-Male-Female-DC-Power-Connector-/190690219936?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item2c6605d7a0

Ringo4422

Alb4ty wrote:BRN-DD-SBN8 (DVR-H9108V)-StandAlone DVR

Video System: NTSC/PAL

BRN-COR-BCS23NMCM (CM-P12613SV)-Bullet Camera

TV System: NTSC

Could someone please explain to me what these statements mean? I need to use this system abroad where only PAL/SECAM is availabe.
Thanks

It is selectable between PAL and NTSC. The composite output is NTSC only. VGA output is universal.

Ringo4422

davidmcdougall wrote:Can this be used with a wireless access point if I use it in an area that does not have hard wire access?

No, but you can use a wireless ethernet bridge. Connect to the bridge ethernet port, or connect the bridge to a network switch.

Ringo4422

FoxFlame wrote:That's not marketing or branding. SHARP manufacturers the CCD within the camera.

Other manufacturers also create CCD, however SONY and SHARP are the most popular. SONY CCD are said by some to be superior to SHARP CCD. I've no first hand experience with each.

Good method to tell them apart.

Edit: Ah, and SONY are said to give a wider field of view due to their CCD chip's size. (1/3" vs SHARP's 1/4")

Sony's 1/3" CCD is better all around. Just about any 1/3" image sensor is superior to a 1/4".

bobbi007600

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbi007600

Thanks for the review, You helped me make up my mind to purchase this. I have been comparing systems for a few weeks now. I was robbed and my property vandalized earlier this month. All while I was at home sitting in my living room. We Never heard a thing outside. Over 700.00 in damages. At least I'll feel a little better now.

jcolt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcolt

Outside of the obvious, such as 4 camera's for $149 versus 8 camera's for $249 (on http://moofi.woot.com/offers/zmodo-8-channel-8-camera-system) and the larger higher quality Sony CCD on the 8 camera system, the differences on the DVR's are as follows:
1) At $249 the DVR is smaller. More than 1 to 1.5 inches in every dimension.
2) More options for selecting the recording frame rate (e.g. jumpy video versus smooth). Note that the recording resolution remains unchanged.

If you do some searching, there are deals out there "close" to what the 4 camera system is being sold for, but woot! is still less expensive and kills them on shipping. However, everywhere I've looked is asking $200 + over the $249 price for the 8 camera system.

Hope this helps!

beloved wrote:What is the difference between the DVR-H9108V vs DVR-H9118V on moofi? Spec wise they look almost the same -- wondering why one would buy one over the other, looks?

christopherclough

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christopherclough

Just to clarify- it looks like this dvr/camera interface will not support wireless cameras. Can anyone confirm?

I have a detached garage and need to have at least 2 wireless cams.

thanks!

Ringo4422

01bar wrote:Just wondering, if the camera cables are not long enough to reach from camera to DVR, does anyone know how difficult it would be to add cable length?

Can 2 (or more) cables be connected together?

The cables included in this kit are close to the maximum length you can go because of their, well, less than optimum quality. In other words, you could end up with no video if you add cable to the existing. You can use standard 59 ohm CATV coax for up to about 750 feet. Using ethernet cable with baluns can go well over 1000'.

Ringo4422

christopherclough wrote:Just to clarify- it looks like this dvr/camera interface will not support wireless cameras. Can anyone confirm?

I have a detached garage and need to have at least 2 wireless cams.

thanks!

Wireless cameras offer miserable video quality unless you plan to spend over $300 per camera. You might want to consider going with some wireless network cameras and a 8 input video surveillance capture card and put in an old PC.
BUT, you can connect wireless cameras to this system as long as the wireless receiver has a composite video output jack.

christopherclough

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christopherclough
Ringo4422 wrote:Wireless cameras offer miserable video quality unless you plan to spend over $300 per camera. You might want to consider going with some wireless network cameras and a 8 input video surveillance capture card and put in an old PC.
BUT, you can connect wireless cameras to this system as long as the wireless receiver has a composite video output jack.

I am setting up a media server(PC), perhaps I can add the card to that. THanks for your input

mitch84208

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitch84208
jcolt wrote:Outside of the obvious, such as 4 camera's for $149 versus 8 camera's for $249 (on http://moofi.woot.com/offers/zmodo-8-channel-8-camera-system) and the larger higher quality Sony CCD on the 8 camera system, the differences on the DVR's are as follows:
2) More options for selecting the recording frame rate (e.g. jumpy video versus smooth). Note that the recording resolution remains unchanged.

If you do some searching, there are deals out there "close" to what the 4 camera system is being sold for, but woot! is still less expensive and kills them on shipping. However, everywhere I've looked is asking $200 + over the $249 price for the 8 camera system.

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU!

01bar

Ringo4422 wrote:The cables included in this kit are close to the maximum length you can go because of their, well, less than optimum quality. In other words, you could end up with no video if you add cable to the existing. You can use standard 59 ohm CATV coax for up to about 750 feet. Using ethernet cable with baluns can go well over 1000'.

Ringo4422
Thanks for the help

01bar

knarlknurppel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages knarlknurppel

Does the 4-channel version give you max. quality for all cams?

Got it!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain

Great for spying on naive angels in mines! Just hope you get to hot, that's fun.

Why the Linux hate?

curlyroger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curlyroger

Can anyone confirm this can record D1? It is not mentioned on Frame Rate but is listed in Resolution:

Recording Frame Rate NTSC: 240 fps @ CIF / PAL: 200 fps @ CIF

Record Resolution Selectable: NTSC: D1(704 x 480); HD1(704 x 240); CIF (352 x 240) / PAL: D1(704 x 576); HD1

pasky3366

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pasky3366
vanpattenv wrote:I am completely new to this, but after I found out my garage was robbed tonight, I need this.
What kind of hard drive do I buy?
Do I need to put an OS on the new hard drive? Is the hd easy to install and configure?
Any additional tips on install and/or setup would be gReAtLy
appreciated!

They take a sata drive up to 2tb the last one I bought was just insert the drive into the dvr and there is usually a drive menu to format the drive in the dvr. YouTube is full of setup videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8huZnzdep4

t3ch2781

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3ch2781

Do you all know if I can remove the hard drive from a Dell desktop and use it in the DVR or is there some way I can connect the DVR to the desktop without having to remove the hard drive?

maelstrm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maelstrm
vanpattenv wrote:I am completely new to this, but after I found out my garage was robbed tonight, I need this.
Do I need to put an OS on the new hard drive? Is the hd easy to install and configure?
Any additional tips on install and/or setup would be gReAtLy appreciated!

Havent bought one yet, but just from reading the info it will support any 3.5" drive up to 2 TB (so im going to assume) any SATA drive should work. As for OS no, the device has an embedded os and the drive is just for storage of the DVR data.

Ringo4422

Any additional tips on install and/or setup would be gReAtLy appreciated!

Since this system employs motion detection you can get by easily with a 500GB drive. Also save your money by purchasing a 5400 RPM little or no cache memory as none of those features will be used by this system. A slow drive will work just fine. I use a 500GB drive on my own professional system and with setting motion detection properly, get about a year out of the drive before it begins to eat away the old recordings. I believe this system will eat the hard drive's tail as it becomes full, so essentially it will never run out of hdd space.

lordcholos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lordcholos

Really wanted the 16 channel w/ 8 cameras that was offered for 179 some time ago; I figure this is the best deal to expect, so no more regrets. Of course, now they will probably offer the 16 with 16 cams for a dollar. :P

sanfordalmeida

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sanfordalmeida
jcolt wrote:Outside of the obvious, such as 4 camera's for $149 versus 8 camera's for $249 (on http://moofi.woot.com/offers/zmodo-8-channel-8-camera-system) and the larger higher quality Sony CCD on the 8 camera system, the differences on the DVR's are as follows:

Hope this helps!

Thanks ! Bought the 8 camera system and used their TAXSUCKS coupon for another 5.00 off !

Ringo4422

lordcholos wrote:Really wanted the 16 channel w/ 8 cameras that was offered for 179 some time ago; I figure this is the best deal to expect, so no more regrets. Of course, now they will probably offer the 16 with 16 cams for a dollar. :P

The 16 camera system you are referring to only did 15fps at 320x240 resolution with 8 cameras simultaneously. Not very good.

bobbynbr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bobbynbr

can you tilt and pan with the dome cameras?

01bar

bobbynbr wrote:can you tilt and pan with the dome cameras?

from what I understand you can but only manually

01bar

jjpeters1100

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jjpeters1100

What if I purchased a 1.5 Tb hard drive that i didn't known anything about from like fleabay.(Used). Seller claiming it was wiped clean. What could happen if it wasn't wiped or even bad? Or if I just took one out of a desktop i got laying around? Will those scenarios work for me or should it be a new hard drive? Could damage be done to the dvr?
Thanks

whatsmypassword

quality posts: 2 Private Messages whatsmypassword
madmanjustice wrote:its easier to just buy longer cables, look up siamese cables on ebay, you can get 120ft for $17.

I have the 4 channel version of this system. One of the cameras is mounted on the front of my house above the driveway and has survived several big thunder storms. picture quality is adaquate. I have been considering upgrading to an 8 channel so i can see more areas around the house and keep tabs on the dogs while they are in the back yard.

Thanks madman you have been very helpful.