Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
jjpeters1100 wrote:What if I purchased a 1.5 Tb hard drive that i didn't known anything about from like fleabay.(Used). Seller claiming it was wiped clean. What could happen if it wasn't wiped or even bad? Or if I just took one out of a desktop i got laying around? Will those scenarios work for me or should it be a new hard drive? Could damage be done to the dvr?
Thanks

I personally do not recommend buying a used drive. If you want to install a Windows formatted drive you need to unformat it. There are free utilities to do this from the drive manufacturer websites. You can run this from a Mac or PC by connecting the used drive as a slave drive. Then you can put it in the DVR. It is very unlikely that any damage will occur to the DVR from a defective or non working hard drive.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

deli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deli

Can some one please let me know if this is better then the one on Amazon? I'm a Amazon prime member so I can get it tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-Surveillance-Weatherproof-PKD-DK0863-NHD-Included/product-reviews/B006PTP7JY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

lancelittle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lancelittle

Can you get sound on these? Wanting to use it in a baby room.

togneter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages togneter

This seems like maybe a stupid question, but I'm looking at buying one of these for my business, but I don't have an internet connection there (just don't need it and my 3G iPhone and iPad are enough for what i need when I'm there).

Can this system be set up just locally without a connection to the internet? I've looked all over and it seems all instructions assume an internet connection.

Thanks.

Ringo4422

togneter wrote:This seems like maybe a stupid question, but I'm looking at buying one of these for my business, but I don't have an internet connection there (just don't need it and my 3G iPhone and iPad are enough for what i need when I'm there).

Can this system be set up just locally without a connection to the internet? I've looked all over and it seems all instructions assume an internet connection.

Thanks.

Yes. You do not have to have internet for it to work. You can only monitor the cameras unless you add a hard drive.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

lancelittle wrote:Can you get sound on these? Wanting to use it in a baby room.

The system is capable of audio but the included cameras do not appear to do audio. You can purchase small condenser microphones and Y 12 volt power splitter cables on the internet and will also have to run another coax cable for the audio, or use ethernet cable to run all of the connections over 1 cable.

togneter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages togneter
Ringo4422 wrote:Yes. You do not have to have internet for it to work. You can only monitor the cameras unless you add a hard drive.

Thanks!

jjpeters1100

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jjpeters1100

Out of the 2 pairs of cameras supplied is there one that would work better indoors or outdoors?

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garyhgaryh

Someone mentioned the 16-ch version. I bought it a few months back:

http://moofi.woot.com/offers/zmodo-16-channel-surveillance-system-and-8-weatherproof-ir-cameras

I think I will buy the one from Moofi for the 1/3 CCD Sony cams which comes out to just $32/ea.

nopistn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nopistn

This seems like a good deal ONLY IF you want a narrower feild of view on your cammeras.
Note the 6mm lens
http://moofi.woot.com/offers/zmodo-8-channel-8-camera-system

Dennishart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dennishart
lantera wrote:I've got both a 4 camera and 8 camera version from previous Woots. Nice entry level systems once you've run all the wiring. If you have to run wires longer than the cables provided, you might want to try using a balun (google it) on each end with regular CAT-5 connecting them. Much easier than dealing with coax cable.

I just googled balun seems like there are a lot of different types of baluns! Which would you recommend for these cameras?

zmodo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages zmodo
jjpeters1100 wrote:Out of the 2 pairs of cameras supplied is there one that would work better indoors or outdoors?

Both cameras will have the same image sensor and lens size, which result in the same image quality and viewing angle, so both cameras will perform equally well regardless of situation.

Ringo4422

Dennishart wrote:I just googled balun seems like there are a lot of different types of baluns! Which would you recommend for these cameras?

Look back at several if my posts. I covered that.

ptr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ptr

I have a similar quality 4 cam Lorex system.

One word of advisement if you put them outside - spiders apparently love the IR illumination. At least twice a week I have to clean the webs off the front of one of them.

And seeing an up close spider that takes up 1/2 of a 19" monitor is a bit...startling.

dunderhead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dunderhead

Interesting. I wonder how these really compare to wireless ones and not having to deal with the hassle of feeding cords throughout.

regards,
dunderhead

ptr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ptr
dunderhead wrote:Interesting. I wonder how these really compare to wireless ones and not having to deal with the hassle of feeding cords throughout.

But then you have to worry about someone intercepting the signal, and interference with other devices. Me, wired all the way unless absolutely necessary.

greko96

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greko96

8 channel means it can take up to 8 cameras. I should know. I install these for a living.

pfsilva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pfsilva

Quick question for those of you guys that have this cameras, the adapter for the DVR and the cameras are 110v only or is 110-220v?

Thanks in advance!

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garyhgaryh
nopistn wrote:This seems like a good deal ONLY IF you want a narrower feild of view on your cammeras.
Note the 6mm lens
http://moofi.woot.com/offers/zmodo-8-channel-8-camera-system

Most of these security camera deals come with the 6mm lens.

911paramedic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 911paramedic
jjpeters1100 wrote:What if I purchased a 1.5 Tb hard drive that i didn't known anything about from like fleabay.(Used). Seller claiming it was wiped clean. What could happen if it wasn't wiped or even bad? Or if I just took one out of a desktop i got laying around? Will those scenarios work for me or should it be a new hard drive? Could damage be done to the dvr?
Thanks

You can always format the drive yourself if there are any worries, or buy a refurbished drive off newegg or something like that. I prefer to buy new drives only, I have no clue how many times some random drive has been dropped, tossed in a bin, sat in the garage, etc. Pay a few extra bucks and get a new one, the size is only going to determine how much it saves before looping back and recording over things.

Hope that helped!

meatbadnoeat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meatbadnoeat

Should be fine. You may need to format it, but there is no way it would damage anything.

Thanks

Ringo4422

911paramedic wrote:You can always format the drive yourself if there are any worries, or buy a refurbished drive off newegg or something like that. I prefer to buy new drives only, I have no clue how many times some random drive has been dropped, tossed in a bin, sat in the garage, etc. Pay a few extra bucks and get a new one, the size is only going to determine how much it saves before looping back and recording over things.

Hope that helped!

Just be sure to unformat it. If it was formated to NTFS (Windows) it will probably not format at all on this system. This works on a Linux type operating system.

palpacino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages palpacino

I had a b**** of a time trying to get this thing to allow me to remote into it even on my local network with everything wide open. I work in I.T., but I am willing to admit that even the best of us might have a bad day. Too bad I tried for almost a month last summer.

Anyone know if they have done anything better with that?

dshoener

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dshoener

Excellent use of the ellipsis!

ptr wrote:I have a similar quality 4 cam Lorex system.

One word of advisement if you put them outside - spiders apparently love the IR illumination. At least twice a week I have to clean the webs off the front of one of them.

And seeing an up close spider that takes up 1/2 of a 19" monitor is a bit...startling.

agcruise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agcruise

It looks like the DVR can connect to the internet via LAN but does anyone know if there is an easy way to connect it wirelessly?

agcruise

dunderhead wrote:Interesting. I wonder how these really compare to wireless ones and not having to deal with the hassle of feeding cords throughout.

You will always have to run wires for the power.... just a thought....

agcruise

Has anyone installed one of these with Comcast as the ISP, which I believe use dynamic IP addresses?

spendtime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spendtime

You can add any SATA Hard Drive up to 2TB and the OS is actually built in the DVR not on the Hard Drive. Zmodo has a video demo of putting in the hard drive this is done very easily. Just an FYI they have created other Zmodo Support sites that will assist in setting you new DVR up.

vanpattenv wrote:I am completely new to this, but after I found out my garage was robbed tonight, I need this.
What kind of hard drive do I buy?
Do I need to put an OS on the new hard drive? Is the hd easy to install and configure?
Any additional tips on install and/or setup would be gReAtLy appreciated!

spendtime

We will give you a hand just contact our Zmodo helpdesk and we can show you how to configure the DVR with Comcast.

agcruise wrote:Has anyone installed one of these with Comcast as the ISP, which I believe use dynamic IP addresses?

spendtime

I will assist you with setting up your DVR. It will take about 10 minutes just contact our Zmodo helpdesk anytime during normal business hours.

palpacino wrote:I had a b**** of a time trying to get this thing to allow me to remote into it even on my local network with everything wide open. I work in I.T., but I am willing to admit that even the best of us might have a bad day. Too bad I tried for almost a month last summer.

Anyone know if they have done anything better with that?

spendtime

We carry Zmodo Audio Mic for this system please visit Zmodo Direct to see the one we have. The sound quality is crystal clear you can hear everything.

lancelittle wrote:Can you get sound on these? Wanting to use it in a baby room.

eraie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages eraie

Does anybody know if I'd be able to use a sata SSD in this? Less heat/noise/power than a traditional HDD, IMO, but just want to make sure SSD's are in fact ok in this DVR.

Also, this is my 1st woot purchase...just wondering if it's normal that items I purchased last Thursday morning are still 'awaiting shipping'?

Thanks!

80sarcade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 80sarcade
eraie wrote:Does anybody know if I'd be able to use a sata SSD in this? Less heat/noise/power than a traditional HDD, IMO, but just want to make sure SSD's are in fact ok in this DVR.

Also, this is my 1st woot purchase...just wondering if it's normal that items I purchased last Thursday morning are still 'awaiting shipping'?

Thanks!

I say you don't want to use a ssd. They are not good for systems that need to write to the drive all the time, like a dvr. Second is cost. A 500gig sata is like 60-80 bucks, ssd for even a 256gig is still around 200. Just not cost affective.

wirebyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wirebyr
Thanks

this device will/can reformat any sata drive ... all info is wiped clean

wirebyr

togneter wrote:This seems like maybe a stupid question, but I'm looking at buying one of these for my business, but I don't have an internet connection there (just don't need it and my 3G iPhone and iPad are enough for what i need when I'm there).

Thanks.

you need a static ip address and an internet connection to monitor over your smartphone

wirebyr

Ringo4422 wrote:I personally do not recommend buying a used drive. If you want to install a Windows formatted drive you need to unformat it. There are free utilities to do this from the drive manufacturer websites. You can run this from a Mac or PC by connecting the used drive as a slave drive. Then you can put it in the DVR. It is very unlikely that any damage will occur to the DVR from a defective or non working hard drive.

you dont even need to do that ... the dvr recognizes the windows or mac formatting and declares it invalid ... just browse the dvr menu and reformat ... works great!

johnhatchett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnhatchett

Mine just arrived but it seems to be missing some bits and pieces to attach the hard drive and secure the lid. I suspect there is a bag of rubber washers and screws that got left out at packing.

Any ideas on how to get these dispatched asap?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

johnhatchett wrote:Mine just arrived but it seems to be missing some bits and pieces to attach the hard drive and secure the lid. I suspect there is a bag of rubber washers and screws that got left out at packing.

I would suggest starting with Zmodo first because it will be faster if they can just ship the missing parts. If that doesn't work, email service@woot.com for other options.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jcscar1983

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcscar1983
johnhatchett wrote:Mine just arrived but it seems to be missing some bits and pieces to attach the hard drive and secure the lid. I suspect there is a bag of rubber washers and screws that got left out at packing.

I bought one, so did my sister. Both came without screws for the case or HD. This is fairly common screw, just stop by a computer store and ask for a few. If they aren't free go somewhere else.

mmirrotto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmirrotto

I just got an email from Woot saying the missing screws are on the way. And I am getting a free bag o crap for my trouble! - just kidding about the bag o crap, but the screws are on the way