remo28


quality posts: 25 Private Messages remo28
Nitetigrezz wrote:Dr. Who will probably be the only reason I'd ever bother with cable. As is though, there aren't many cable options in this area (eg none), and the one option there is charges an ungodly amount. I just have to keep digging.

I'm going to tell you as a fan of Smith, watch the Christmas episode. No real spoilers here, promise. You remember how Eccleston's doctor was borderline ADHD and relatively optimistic and bouncy? Remember how his death seemed to match that so well? Now remember how Tennant, especially in the later part of his time, was far more emotional and almost borderline emo at times (don't get me wrong, I loved Tennant, but towards the end there... oy!)? And how his death matched that (yes, I had to break out the tissues too >.<)? Think on how Smith's doctor has been. His death was just so... so appropriate. So HIM. It got me to wondering if this has always been a Who thing, or just a New Who thing, but I love it.

Only warning I will give is that you'll want tissues with you, but it's worth each and every single tear, trust me.



I will watch it, especially before the new episodes start. I didn't plan on waiting so long, but things happened, it was misplaced for a while. My daughter made me promise not to watch it without her, and between her job and mine we just haven't gotten to it. I've heard spoilers about the episode in general, and I need to watch it before August 23rd for sure.

I've been watching The Musketeers on BBCA, which has Peter Capaldi in the role of a bad guy and it's weird to think he's going to be playing the Doctor. I think he'll be more dark and serious than any of the new series Doctors for sure.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
remo28 wrote:I will watch it, especially before the new episodes start. I didn't plan on waiting so long, but things happened, it was misplaced for a while. My daughter made me promise not to watch it without her, and between her job and mine we just haven't gotten to it. I've heard spoilers about the episode in general, and I need to watch it before August 23rd for sure.

I've been watching The Musketeers on BBCA, which has Peter Capaldi in the role of a bad guy and it's weird to think he's going to be playing the Doctor. I think he'll be more dark and serious than any of the new series Doctors for sure.



Oof, I know how that feels >.< I feel kind of bad because my fiancee was on the other side of the country when the 50th anniversary and Christmas episode came out. For the former, we skyped with him watching it on DVR and me watching a copy a friend shot to me. With the Christmas episode, I was already miserable and stuck in bed with a neck injury, so he gave the go-ahead.

Fiancee and I both got the feeling that Capaldi is going to be a darker, grittier doctor. One of the things we always appreciated about the show is how every actor can make their doctor something of their own creation. I've read stories where some doctors even had to tell writers, "No, he wouldn't do that. There's no way. He would do this," and the script would be changed for it XD I'm a little anxious over what directly Capaldi will take the doctor, but even more-so excited for the very same reason.

I just found out though why the fiancee hasn't been getting excited at all as we get closer and closer to the new season. Turns out the site that streamed the episodes has been shut down >.< Which means if we don't find another way, we're going to have to wait for Netflix to catch up ;.;


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Bring back McCoy!


:D


and let's kill Hitler again.

remo28


quality posts: 25 Private Messages remo28
Nitetigrezz wrote:Oof, I know how that feels >.< I feel kind of bad because my fiancee was on the other side of the country when the 50th anniversary and Christmas episode came out. For the former, we skyped with him watching it on DVR and me watching a copy a friend shot to me. With the Christmas episode, I was already miserable and stuck in bed with a neck injury, so he gave the go-ahead.

Fiancee and I both got the feeling that Capaldi is going to be a darker, grittier doctor. One of the things we always appreciated about the show is how every actor can make their doctor something of their own creation. I've read stories where some doctors even had to tell writers, "No, he wouldn't do that. There's no way. He would do this," and the script would be changed for it XD I'm a little anxious over what directly Capaldi will take the doctor, but even more-so excited for the very same reason.

I just found out though why the fiancee hasn't been getting excited at all as we get closer and closer to the new season. Turns out the site that streamed the episodes has been shut down >.< Which means if we don't find another way, we're going to have to wait for Netflix to catch up ;.;



Just FYI in the past bbc has put the episodes online to watch. Of course it's only for people in Britain. But with a chrome extension it thinks you're in Britain and you can watch it. It won't be live, but should only be a few days after the episode first airs.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
remo28 wrote:Just FYI in the past bbc has put the episodes online to watch. Of course it's only for people in Britain. But with a chrome extension it thinks you're in Britain and you can watch it. It won't be live, but should only be a few days after the episode first airs.



Hrm... might have to look into that then. A few days is a whole lot better than several months with Netflix.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dougall wrote:THERE WILL BE NO FLIRTING



I think that's probably best.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
dougall wrote:THERE WILL BE NO FLIRTING



I'm on the fence about this one. When it's done with a great balance, the flirtiness can add a whole new level of fun (Rose and Eccleston, for example, had brilliant chemistry, as did Clair and Smith). When done too much this way or too much that, it can get distracting and even annoying (Martha became one of my least favorite companions because of it x.x).

I do appreciate it with a doctor being played at Capaldi's age. It's kind of a throw-back to the very first doctor, where there's a bit more of that grandfatherly feel without him having to be a full stick in the mud. At the same time though, I wish he wasn't so adament against even the smallest crumb of a chance of it developing. It's good that he knows exactly how he wants his doctor portrayed, but at the same time, how many doctors developed with the actor, grew with the storyline, gone in directions that even the actor wouldn't have predicted and not as a bad thing? By completely and fully closing down a door, there's the risk that Capaldi might be stunting some possible growth in his doctor.

I guess only time will tell.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
Nitetigrezz wrote:
I guess only time will tell.



Say he's saving himself for River and I'm all for that.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dougall wrote:Say he's saving himself for River and I'm all for that.



Spoilers, sweetie!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
Mavyn wrote:Spoilers, sweetie!


Do I look Bothered?


Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dougall wrote:Do I look Bothered?



Seldom.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
dougall wrote:Say he's saving himself for River and I'm all for that.



Okay, yep, that would absolutely make the series for me. Not just his season. The entire goddamn series.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Not spoilery. But cute.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall



@1:29 - Drop your weapons, or I'll kill him with this deadly Jelly Baby


:D

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Less than 2 weeks.....




(Spoilers...)

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

...almost there...

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

Well here we are just little over a week away and I've missed an entire summer of postings.

Was anyone in NY for the Doctor Tour? Is anyone considering going to see the series premiere in the theaters for the midnight or Monday showings?

Me, I'm still hoping my old Samsung DLP gives up the ghost so I can justify buying a new 3D set and blueray. Why? So I can finally watch Day of the Doctor in 3D.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
olcubmaster wrote:Well here we are just little over a week away and I've missed an entire summer of postings.

Was anyone in NY for the Doctor Tour? Is anyone considering going to see the series premiere in the theaters for the midnight or Monday showings?

Me, I'm still hoping my old Samsung DLP gives up the ghost so I can justify buying a new 3D set and blueray. Why? So I can finally watch Day of the Doctor in 3D.



The Dr tour that sold out in ~4 minutes?

:D


I'm about ready to buy myself a 3d tv too, don't tell the other half, but in the name of never going smaller, I've decided it needs to be 65" or more.


and no cinema for me, much happier to just sit at home and watch

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
dougall wrote:The Dr tour that sold out in ~4 minutes?

:D


I'm about ready to buy myself a 3d tv too, don't tell the other half, but in the name of never going smaller, I've decided it needs to be 65" or more.


and no cinema for me, much happier to just sit at home and watch



Orc is considering the cinema. We haven't seen the regeneration yet though (stupid limited access). But with the move.... I doubt it will happen.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
KtCallista wrote:Orc is considering the cinema. We haven't seen the regeneration yet though (stupid limited access). But with the move.... I doubt it will happen.



Unless I misread (always a possibility) the midnight cinema showing is on the Sunday after the airing on BBCA. Kinda takes the urgency out and while it may be fun to experience with a large audience, I think a rewatching from the couch will suffice.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
olcubmaster wrote:Unless I misread (always a possibility) the midnight cinema showing is on the Sunday after the airing on BBCA. Kinda takes the urgency out and while it may be fun to experience with a large audience, I think a rewatching from the couch will suffice.



The problem with the cinema is that there aren't any couches to hide behind during the especially scary bits.

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

Ngo and I were considering the cinema viewing since we don't get BBCA. It'll be a blast to be around so many Dr. Who fans. Ngo still hasn't seen "Time of the Doctor" though, and unless we take a day to get into my old laptop, I don't know how he's going to anytime soon >.<


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

Those fine folks at one of my two choices of large multi-media communication conglomerates (the one that starts with a Z) have upgraded me and I now have little more than 24 hours to install all new hardware on 6 sets (and a router) and get it all up and running before it's time for the Doctor appointment.

What could possibly go
worng
?

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

It looks like we're not going to see the premiere since Ngo can't see Time of the Doctor in time >.<


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
Nitetigrezz wrote:It looks like we're not going to see the premiere since Ngo can't see Time of the Doctor in time >.<



Argh! That's a shame, but a testimony to commitment.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
olcubmaster wrote:Argh! That's a shame, but a testimony to commitment.



It can get hard at times. Smith's death was probably my absolute favorite moment, even if it's hard losing such an amazing doctor >.< I think Ngo might be putting it off a bit, if only because Smith was his doctor, but still.


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
Nitetigrezz wrote:It can get hard at times. Smith's death was probably my absolute favorite moment, even if it's hard losing such an amazing doctor >.< I think Ngo might be putting it off a bit, if only because Smith was his doctor, but still.



No spoilers here sweety...Just 2 words on the first show of the new season.

Very satisfying!

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

Nitetigrezz


quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz
olcubmaster wrote:No spoilers here sweety...Just 2 words on the first show of the new season.

Very satisfying!



Nyaaaaaaaa I'm about to explode!

Major spoiler alert for those who have yet to see Time of the Doctor!



You have been warned!



We finally saw the Time of the Doctor was on Netflix, so he finally got to see it! The only thing he was bummed about was that River Song wasn't the one who's boots were coming down at the end, instead of Amy Pond. I was kind of surprised at his reaction since Pond was Ngo's favorite companion, and Smith said he was seeing the first face that face had ever saw. I realize though if it had been River Song that was walking through, it might have hinted at so much that wasn't to be hinted at, like if River Song had finally let go as the Doctor told her to, or that she will always be with him even after he told her to let go, or or or!

Otherwise though, he was definitely proud of the way his favorite doctor went, especially the Gift from Gallifrey XD I forgot just how much I love that part.

One thing I noticed this time around though. So the regeneration came straight from Gallifrey. A good thing too, since according to Smith's math, Smith should have been the last regen. From Smith's reaction, it wasn't from one Time Lord, or a couple of them. It sounded like every single one that could afford to send him anything did. Smith said he was on a whole new regen cycle, courtesy of Gallifrey.

Could this mean he has a whole new set of 13? Or just that he has one more now? Or did they word it like that to keep their options wide open?

I seriously need to find a way to watch the new season >.< I think I'm going to go crazy if I don't v.v


Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
Nitetigrezz wrote:Nyaaaaaaaa I'm about to explode!I seriously need to find a way to watch the new season >.< I think I'm going to go crazy if I don't v.v



As if the gap from December until August wasn't painful enough.

I hereby nominate Nitetigrezz as our official Girl Who Waited.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

remo28


quality posts: 25 Private Messages remo28
Nitetigrezz wrote:

I seriously need to find a way to watch the new season >.< I think I'm going to go crazy if I don't v.v



Episodes are online. now they are supposed to be available only if you live in the uk. So you get Chrome and download the Hola extension, and set it to England. Then you go watch the episodes, straight from the BBC website. If it pops up a thing that says it's not available for you, just refresh the page.
I do have BBCA but wanted to watch the Extra from last week, and it worked perfectly. Now I see this week also has an extra, so when I'm on a computer again I'll have to go watch.

You can also change the country for Netflix, and watch different things than we have on the US Netflix.

Now, go watch season 8!

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
remo28 wrote: Episodes are online. now they are supposed to be available only if you live in the uk. So you get Chrome and download the Hola extension, and set it to England. Then you go watch the episodes, straight from the BBC website. If it pops up a thing that says it's not available for you, just refresh the page.
I do have BBCA but wanted to watch the Extra from last week, and it worked perfectly. Now I see this week also has an extra, so when I'm on a computer again I'll have to go watch.

You can also change the country for Netflix, and watch different things than we have on the US Netflix.

Now, go watch season 8!



This.

and you can use it to watch the great british bake off, QI, buzzcocks, Sherlock and the other cool BBC stuff too.


*goes off to look for historic great egg races*

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

Well folks - we're now 3 deep into the new series.

Before I start rambling on about my impressions so far - is everyone/anyone caught up?

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
olcubmaster wrote:Well folks - we're now 3 deep into the new series.

Before I start rambling on about my impressions so far - is everyone/anyone caught up?



I am all caught up.

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

Well, given the title of this third episode I don't think I need to place a spoiler alert on this little piece of trivia.

The 2nd Doctor, Patrick Troughton, starred as Robin Hood on the BBC in the 1950's.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

dougall


quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
olcubmaster wrote:Well, given the title of this third episode I don't think I need to place a spoiler alert on this little piece of trivia.

The 2nd Doctor, Patrick Troughton, starred as Robin Hood on the BBC in the 1950's.



But did you recognize it in the show itself?

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Massive spoilers.

I like Peter Capaldi, but he's still trying too hard...and for me, the overlap of old school cheesiness and modern slick effects just breaks. It doesn't work for me. :/

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
dougall wrote:But did you recognize it in the show itself?



I did not at the time, but think I know when it may have appeared and will try to freeze frame the image during my rewatching.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

olcubmaster


quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
Mavyn wrote:Massive spoilers.

I like Peter Capaldi, but he's still trying too hard...and for me, the overlap of old school cheesiness and modern slick effects just breaks. It doesn't work for me. :/



I tend to agree with most everything in that spoiler.

It took a while for me to get attuned to Matt Smith so I'm willing to sit back and let it happen again.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home