inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
olcubmaster wrote:I really didn't mean to single you out...sorry.

No worries! I was hoping someone would hop in and be able to confirm that for you.

Because it is pirate day:

ps. thread post 200

I'm just hanging out, really.

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel
olcubmaster wrote:I just remembered one more observation I had about Town Called Mercy (AKA 7.3).

Was I the only one that had a flashback to a scene from a Martin Short/Steve Martin/Chevy Chase film?

For those that are too young...

inkycatz

rprebel wrote:For those that are too young...

Video

Thanks!

terrikoonce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terrikoonce
dougall wrote:As an English kid watching the older doctors, I always found the contrast between their role as the Doctor, and their other TV roles to be interesting.

for example.

Isn't that from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...I think it was "So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish"...or am I wrong...I can be wrong...we're old friends...lol

terrikoonce

inkycatz wrote:That's wonderful! Welcome to the thread!

Ahhhh...Blink...WONDERFUL episode!! I think it's my favorite of all time.

terrikoonce

David Tennant is the best, I think. I especially like the ones with Donna Noble played by Catherine Tate...PERFECTION! "He's so skinny if you touch him you could get a paper cut!" Wonderful!! I saw the the 'old' Doctor Who shows but I was really young so I don't remember the individual Doctors. I've seen most of the new ones...might have missed a couple of the ones after David Tennant left (le sigh). Watching Dr. Who..it's like being home again!

terrikoonce

Has anyone seen Mr. Brain played by Takuya Kimura? I think he would make a fabulous Doctor! Anyone seen it and care to comment?

terrikoonce

inkycatz wrote:I bet if I made the 'watch along' more book club style, such as "let's watch these episodes during July and then discuss" might work better for everyone. As long as the episodes are somewhere streamable and free, I imagine a lot of people can join in.

Anyone else have some thoughts? Treading into that trying new things territory.

That would be 'loverly'...feel free to send me an email (or whatever you call it here) when it's set up. Sounds fun!

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
inkycatz wrote:

Because it is pirate day:
img]

Oh, we can do better than that.

Orcrist42

inkycatz wrote:
I bet if I made the 'watch along' more book club style, such as "let's watch these episodes during July and then discuss" might work better for everyone. As long as the episodes are somewhere streamable and free, I imagine a lot of people can join in.

Anyone else have some thoughts? Treading into that trying new things territory.

I am all for that. Right now I am happy to comment but can contribute almost nothing to the conversation and avoid the spoilers.

Maybe we will be able to catch them on streaming soon. Amazon still wants $2 an episode to stream it (which I admit is tempting).

Also, speaking of Amazon. Today's gold box deal is soooo darn tempting.

amjur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amjur
Orcrist42 wrote:I am all for that. Right now I am happy to comment but can contribute almost nothing to the conversation and avoid the spoilers.

Maybe we will be able to catch them on streaming soon. Amazon still wants $2 an episode to stream it (which I admit is tempting).

noooooooooooooo why did you show that to me?! And I have been so good during this woot off too. (gonna just keep chanting "must save up for ring, must save up for ring...) lol

amjur

dougall wrote:Discuss

yeah - I'm slow - finally clicked on your link and am now jumping up and down for the potential of such an event! This would be awesome. Plus I think it hilar that Matt Smith is pulling for a free trip to New Zealand. lol.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster
Orcrist42 wrote:I am all for that. Right now I am happy to comment but can contribute almost nothing to the conversation and avoid the spoilers.

I too have been toying with that Amazon Gold Box purchase..the one thing that has held me back is reading multiple remarks on more than one site about the disks being damn near impossible to remove from the packaging.

Anyone here with real world experience to confirm or refute this?

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
olcubmaster wrote:I too have been toying with that Amazon Gold Box purchase..the one thing that has held me back is reading multiple remarks on more than one site about the disks being damn near impossible to remove from the packaging.

Anyone here with real world experience to confirm or refute this?

Here's what I told Orc (in case you didn't know we are married). Each season is almost that much money. If you want the disks buy the set and stick the disks in a folder! At that price that's fair enough... not like that Harry Potter monstrosity with the same problem.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

amjur

KtCallista wrote:Here's what I told Orc (in case you didn't know we are married).

Cool! Actually I didnt even know Orc was a guy. hahaha. sorry. - I mean, you all could be cybermen for all I know. LOL. (idk, it seems funny to me)

amjur

amjur wrote:Cool! Actually I didnt even know Orc was a guy. hahaha. sorry. - I mean, you all could be cybermen for all I know. LOL. (idk, it seems funny to me) -- EDIT - now that I've written this I really hope Orc is the guy and you're the girl - callista is a girl's name right? *head down*

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:Here's what I told Orc (in case you didn't know we are married). Each season is almost that much money. If you want the disks buy the set and stick the disks in a folder! At that price that's fair enough... not like that Harry Potter monstrosity with the same problem.

Seriously, I don't understand why packaging is so problematic. You'd think they'd want to sell more sets!

September Watch Along Reminder!
The Ribos Operation

To restore the balance of the cosmos, the White Guardian requires the Key to Time, but it has been broken into six disguised segments and scattered throughout time and space.

I picked this one because I wanted to do the Pirate Planet, but didn't want to jump in mid-story, if that makes sense. (Anyone else do this?)

1. Check local listings?
2. Available
3. Available
4. Unknown
5. Unknown
6. You can get it as a single DVD, or part of "The Key to Time" collector edition.
7 - 10. You're on your own about those.

And for those interested in a more modern doctor...let's watch...

Father's Day
Rose witnesses the day her father died, but interfering leads to terrible consequences... and sinister creatures!

I picked this one, because it has to do with "time getting messed up", and the classic episode is about preventing time from getting messed up!

As far as availability, I'm pretty sure you can see it via #2/#3/and #6 various outlets as part of "The Complete First Series".

We'll start talking about these episodes and general impressions and overall themes and such on Monday, October 1! Happy watching!

Also terrikoonce! Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday - lil woot off to take care of and all. I haven't seen Mr. Brain yet - thanks for the suggestion!

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
inkycatz wrote:
The Ribos Operation

1. Check local listings?
2. Available
3. Available
4. Unknown
5. Unknown
6. You can get it as a single DVD, or part of "The Key to Time" collector edition.
7 - 10. You're on your own about those.

Perhaps this may help

inkycatz

dougall wrote:Perhaps this may help

Yeah maybe

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

I haven't watched Tom Baker in years. Thanks for giving me a reason to watch it again!

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
dougall wrote:Oh Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Lightbulbs have features in all episodes of the current season so far... The xmas special must be an epic face off between Edison and Tesla.

(You read it here first!)

Brian Cox and fairy lights...

really doesn't seem like a coincidence... :p

olcubmaster

LMAO - so are Mortimer and Monte now getting thier scripts from this discussion board?

inkycatz

olcubmaster wrote:LMAO - so are Mortimer and Monte now getting thier scripts from this discussion board?

I don't know, I do know a few things:
1. They're crafty monkeys.
2. The Angels Across The Street don't appear to be moving. (I am waiting eagerly to see how even more messed up the Angels lore gets next/this week.)
3. On first pass, The Power of Three was a pretty rubbish episode with a few sweet bits.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
inkycatz wrote:I don't know, I do know a few things:
1. They're crafty monkeys.
2. The Angels Across The Street don't appear to be moving. (I am waiting eagerly to see how even more messed up the Angels lore gets next/this week.)
3. On first pass, The Power of Three was a pretty rubbish episode with a few sweet bits.

The bits Amy narrated were...gah. Not good.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

inkycatz

Mavyn wrote:The bits Amy narrated were...gah. Not good.

The narration device seems to be pretty heavily favored this season, to great peril. Doesn't seem very cinematic to me.

BBC Trailer:

Next time:

Wow, super spoilery. (So if you click you know you got SPOILERS GOING ON.) Am I the only one thinking that?

amjur

I'm actually not liking this season at all (gasp! yes I said it). I find it really disappointing in so many ways. And as much as I love Amy & Rory - the writing style for the characters for the past 3 episodes, has been blatantly annoying! mostly on Amy's character - at least Rory still has some fun quirky bits.

Waiting for the twist of the doctor proving he's an evil genius pretending to be daft - but not gonna like it if that's what they're are planning anyway. bah.

olcubmaster

On 7.4 it appears I am in the minority because I enjoyed it.

I thought it was a fun little romp. The doctor was manic but at least didn’t need to beg to be rescued or given a verbal dressing down to come up with the solution.

I enjoyed the fleeting time with Amy, Rory and Dad and liked the way they have laid a satisfying foundation for the next transition. I even liked the one on one between Amy & the Dr. as they make peace with the path ahead and the one behind.

True – they did seem to retread a couple of devices used earlier in this Dr’s run (the hospital, the lift and the curly headed moppet) but if I’m really going to grumble (and here it comes) it seems to me that the good old sonic screwdriver has become more a magic wand with unlimited capabilities.

That said – only one new fall episode left and I can hardly wait.

Orcrist42

inkycatz wrote: (I am waiting eagerly to see how even more messed up the Angels lore gets next/this week.)

I am looking forward to that too, but I still worry... part of the power of the angels was the simplicity of the psychology behind them. I hope they don't add too many layers to the point where it all get muddled.

I am resisting the desire to watch the spoiler trailer... really, why watch a trailer for something you absolutely plan to see anyway?

inkycatz

Orcrist42 wrote:I am resisting the desire to watch the spoiler trailer... really, why watch a trailer for something you absolutely plan to see anyway?

That's a good point. I usually just end up watching them because they're "there" at the end of the episode. Sometimes I like to guess where the episode might go based on the bits they show.

Mavyn

olcubmaster wrote:

True – they did seem to retread and a couple of devices used earlier in this Dr’s run (the hospital, the lift and the curly headed moppet) but if I’m really going to grumble (and here it comes) it seems to me that the good old sonic screwdriver has become more a magic wand with unlimited capabilities.

This has bothered me for quite a few episodes.

olcubmaster

inkycatz wrote:That's a good point. I usually just end up watching them because they're "there" at the end of the episode. Sometimes I like to guess where the episode might go based on the bits they show.

I guess it also depends on who edits and releases the trailer. Some are good at sparking the interest. Others (insert any Adam Sandler title here) once you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie.

It's only Monday so I can say I *won't watch the trailer.

*This offer void after midnight.

Mavyn

Ha! The Doctor Who workout.

There is more than just running.

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Ha! The Doctor Who workout.

Interesting

inkycatz

So the watch-a-long crew I'm in gave Power of Three a (re)watch.

So many little detailed references hidden inside!

Like sunflowers!

amjur

Mavyn wrote:Ha! The Doctor Who workout.

Just realized I'm only a fake sci-fi fan. Clicked the link under the article that read "Starbucks and Amy Pond team up" and I was actually expecting a blurb about the merger of my favorite coffee drink in space!

haha.
In my defense, I do live in a major metropolitan area where star visits are the norm. Still very sad. *head down*

KtCallista

amjur wrote:Just realized I'm only a fake sci-fi fan. Clicked the link under the article that read "Starbucks and Amy Pond team up" and I was actually expecting a blurb about the merger of my favorite coffee drink in space!

haha.
In my defense, I do live in a major metropolitan area where star visits are the norm. Still very sad. *head down*

Ok, I'll admit I think I'd heard something in passing about that, and forgot about it - mostly because I still haven't watched either Battlestar Galactica (mostly because Syfy is absolutely horrible about online access and I don't get that channel - or any other channel to speak of). Still I would have thought it was some charity thing or an advertising campaign from the headline.

inkycatz

amjur wrote:Just realized I'm only a fake sci-fi fan. Clicked the link under the article that read "Starbucks and Amy Pond team up" and I was actually expecting a blurb about the merger of my favorite coffee drink in space!

Ha! So what'd it turn out to be?

And now your morning fun link, which some of you have likely seen already, this four year old does Who reviews!

I think we're safe with Asylum of the Dalek spoilers, given we're nearly at the end of Season 7a.

olcubmaster

OK - this one has been out there for almost a year but it was new to me and in case you haven't seen it...

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:Ha! So what'd it turn out to be?

And now your morning fun link, which some of you have likely seen already, this four year old does Who reviews!

I think we're safe with Asylum of the Dalek spoilers, given we're nearly at the end of Season 7a.

Not safe for PBS, library, Netflix, DVD viewers... (Hulu doesn't do Who)

Orcrist42

inkycatz wrote:

You are kidding right?

Also, this:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6739482/official-spoiler-rules