WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Today let's "rap" about the early days of hip hop. Huh? Huh? Do you get it? DO YOU??? Anyway, all you kids who think Snoop is old school are about to get an education. Because today we're gonna go back… way back… to the early days of rap. Today Scott's taking a look at the hip hop classics you probably don't often hear. Like this one, for example:

3rd Bass - Pop Goes The Weasel

Take an English major at Columbia, and add a dash of party DJ, mix with a guy rejected by the Beastie Boys, and throw in a few questionable lyric choices. What do you get? A not-so-bad trio who had this Top 30 hit in the late '80s. You'll probably know the loop. Maybe it's not as serious as hip hop is today, but if you view it in context… well, 3rd Bass wasn't Public Enemy, but they were kind of respectable. Too bad they sort of peaked with this song.

See what we mean? More to come, along with the Spotify playlist, right after the jump!

Let's just say it now in case you aren't clear: Many hip hop songs cover NSFW topics. We'll try to mark them when we couldn't find a radio-friendly edit, but if your boss is the sensitive type, put cans on them ears, okay?

Now, as we mentioned above, we've got a weekly Spotify playlist, featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. But be warned: the theme of the mix this time is Weird Americans and it's not your normal Top 40 station, that's for sure. Just don't take a chance on that strange, strange music until you drop the beat on the current Music Monday below.

Dana Dane - Nightmares

There was a time when novelty records were pretty common. If something big happened someone was going to rush and put their own spin on it. That's how we got The Roxanne Wars but that's also how we got a bunch of songs about Nightmares to celebrate the A Nightmare On Elm Street series. Dana Dane at least got there before anyone else did, but then again, Dana Dane also used that fake British accent. Maybe that was why Dana Dane stayed at the novelty level and The Fresh Prince got a TV show.

T La Rock - It's Yours

This often-overlooked classic was sort of the very first Def Jam release, even though it was technically on a different label. Hey, hip hop's complicated like that. The important part is that T La Rock's single helped move hip hop away from Kurtis Blow and towards KRS One. Plus if you don't care about what's going on in the lyrics, you can always just enjoy the beat! And by the way, T La Rock's style was also a direct influence on his labelmate LL Cool J. Maybe you've heard of him?

Masta Ace - Sittin On Chrome

What would you best call the Masta Ace style? Staccato? Change-up? It's hard to really put a name to the way he chatters out rhythms like he's just having a conversation, and yet somehow makes everything hit the beat. Masta Ace didn't have huge smash hits, but he's still well respected and even influenced Eminem! Today he coaches high school football, which I think is pretty cool. How many rappers actually give back to the community like that?

Doug E. Fresh - The Show

Okay, okay, fine. This one isn't THAT obscure. Pretty much I just wanted the excuse to hear it again. But if it helps, I can argue that Slick Rick was in prison during hip hop's most explosive period, so maybe some people DON'T actually know that this NSFW Snoop track is actually a NSFW Slick Rick cover. Is that a good enough excuse? Anyway, if you didn't already know about The Show… well, now there's one less thing you've got to learn. And you're welcome.

First up: once you're done here, hit the Turntable.fm room for other regular Music Monday experience. Second: throw your examples in the comments and help us build a really great mix of forgotten hip hop. Third: some images come from their corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use. A'aight? A'aight. We out. Peace.

Quality Posts

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I've forgotten Hip Hop pretty much from the beginning.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

I'm not sure I have any *forgotten* hip hop, but I've always enjoyed the Thrasher: Skate and Destroy soundtrack as some of the hits I don't hear nearly enough.

Okay, maybe I get a fair bit of Award Tour, but still.

I also spend some time as a turntable enthusiast... Invisbl Skratch Piklz and the Shiggar Fraggar show were good things.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

disappointed more ppl haven't contributed yet

Canadian raggae-rapper Snow had a number one hit in the US with Informer

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

i assume the Hi-Town DJs classic "ring a ling" is out of the question?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
RWoodward wrote:I've forgotten Hip Hop pretty much from the beginning.

Tru dat. Never into it myself, but had plenty of friends who were.

The Egyptian Lover - Egypt, Egypt - YouTube Lots of heavy breathing in this. Use caution at work.

Whodini - Freaks come out at Night (original) - YouTube Used to hate this one hard.

Fat Boys - The Fat Boys (1984) - YouTube

NEWCLEUS - JAM ON IT - YouTube

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Forgive my tardiness, and my ignorance of oldschool hip hop but I've always been a big fan of the humpty bump from digital underground

Such ridiculousness and fun song. Hope this counts

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

That humpty guy always freaked me out a little.

Couple from the ladies:

jj fad - supersonic (Video Quality A++) - YouTube

Cars That Go Boom - YouTube

Lassik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lassik
PemberDucky wrote:i assume the Hi-Town DJs classic "ring a ling" is out of the question?

:-) I turned that in to a ringtone and I use it on my phone. Needless to say I have to keep my phone on silent during meetings at work.

They say I have Attention Deficit Disorder but i don't th.... Ohh look a kitty!

knapkinfish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages knapkinfish

Ok, as soon as I started to read what this week's selections were based on, the first thing I thought of was 3rd Bass. so I wasn't too surprised to see them as the first selection. But the next group I thought of was as follows, which actually has a small cameo from 3rd Bass:

http://youtu.be/PRvyFTLnu-E
The Afros - Feel It

Back in the 90's, when I was in High School in Los Angeles, I used to sneak to the TV on weekends and catch episodes of "Pump It Up" (http://youtu.be/FSZLQWiKidk), where I learned about all kinds of obscure, and not-so-obscure hiphop groups, including KRS-One, as mentioned in your descriptions.

But if you're going to bring up obscures, how about those PSM compilations the hiphop community came up with, just chock FULL of obscure bands that no one had heard of before!

http://youtu.be/jxyYP_bS_6s
Stop The Violence Movement - Self Destruction
(Yeah, I know Cool Moe Dee and Heavy D weren't very obscure, but most of the rest were!)

http://youtu.be/UJD1oDKKMdM
The West Coast Rap All-Stars - We're All In The Same Gang
(Again, Tone-Loc, Ice-T, Hammer, Dig. Underground and Eazy-E were known, but the rest? C'mon!)

Yeah, I used to enjoy hiphop back then. Back when it took talent.

EDIT:
How could I have forgotten The Boo-Yah TRIBE ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsPV6Qomxzo