ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ienvyno1 wrote:I swear earlier that it showed that there was a 90 Woot warranty, and not it says it's a 90 day LG warranty and no Square Trade link.

See my post on the frist page. We had to remove the SquareTrade link due to the two pricing options. The warranty was not changed.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kt2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kt2

Do these sets have a matte screen or a glossy screen? All the current 3D TVs that are available seem to have glossy screens, and I have lots of windows, so those are not for me. I'm hoping maybe getting a refurb of an older model like this might be my chance to get a 3D set with a matte finish screen!

Stan0050

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Stan0050
kt2 wrote:Do these sets have a matte screen or a glossy screen? All the current 3D TVs that are available seem to have glossy screens, and I have lots of windows, so those are not for me. I'm hoping maybe getting a refurb of an older model like this might be my chance to get a 3D set with a matte finish screen!

Someone posted earlier that it was a matte screen. Im in the same boat as you, just need wife approval to pull the trigger :-)

Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
grassynoel wrote:Please post some links to cheaper 55" plasmas.

Thanks in advance!

This is a refurbished unit, and not manufacturer refurbished so who knows what you could end up with. Amazon Warehouse has used TC-P55ST30's listed at $799 shipped in "very good" condition.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004MME77E/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

If you're willing to drop down 5" you can get a new TC-P50U50 for 750".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VLRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UT

And those are normal prices -- wait for a "deal" (like ostensibly this Woot is) and you'll save even more money. I recommend Panasonics for plasmas.

That said, my other post only listed negatives of LCD, which isn't the whole story of course. LCDs are best for television watching in bright rooms, while plasmas tend to be dimmer and have more glare (screens are glass) so are better suited for darker rooms -- get some shades. If you watch a lot of movies, get a plasma. If you watch mostly television programming in a sunny room, you might be equally satisfied or happier with an LCD -- especially one with a matte screen.

otherhand

quality posts: 4 Private Messages otherhand
kt2 wrote:Do these sets have a matte screen or a glossy screen? All the current 3D TVs that are available seem to have glossy screens, and I have lots of windows, so those are not for me. I'm hoping maybe getting a refurb of an older model like this might be my chance to get a 3D set with a matte finish screen!

A very matte screen. Ours is next to a bright sliding glass door and the picture looks good despite the glare. A plasma in the same spot had a lot of reflection. Night and day difference.

sps666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sps666

Looks like a great deal and I appreciate the comments from everyone. But where did you find the square trade warranty offer? I just bought one and there was none offered....

ThunderThighs

Staff

Repeat from Page 1:

About SquareTrade

We can't send you automatically to SquareTrade when there's two different price options. Please feel free to visit them on your own for pricing. There's no difference in the price this way. The link was a convenience.

SquareTrade

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

geomez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages geomez
majorwest wrote:Difference between LW5700 and LW5600: LW5700 doesn't have local dimming.[/b]

You can turn on local dimming on the LW5700 as well as THX audio and video settings using the service menu. It can be accessed with certain universal remotes and with an Android app.

freak6148

quality posts: 4 Private Messages freak6148
Bacondoggy wrote:Just go on ebay. Here is one of the best plasma's around (the Viera's - I like Samsung for LED LCD's) buy it now for $850. And this was just without searching for a good deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Viera-TC-P55GT30-55-Full-3D-1080p-HD-Plasma-Internet-TV-/261058594608?pt=Televisions&hash=item3cc84e0730#ht_500wt_1033

Yeah, that TV on ebay is used, has some kind of red tint to it on a white screen and they want $200 for shipping. Not such a good deal.

holdingontowater

quality posts: 2 Private Messages holdingontowater
mwinkykitty wrote:So you're stealing from movie theaters now?

I've always been charged extra for the glasses, and the box you put them in after the movie does say "recycle" right?

-badda bing

ras07

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ras07
mevande wrote:Would buy in a heart beat. Great Deal esp on the 55 inch, don't have the cash laying around (: . I would also go with the square trade warranty. 99 bucks for 3 years is a steal and they replace it if it can't be fixed or give you your money back

What am I missing on Square Trade? I'm seeing $115 for 1 year.

pcfriendly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcfriendly

I own the "non-smart" version of the 55". I've had it for about six months. Absolutely incredible and I paid $1,300 and felt like it was a great deal. To get the model up from it for $400 less? If you need a TV, you should jump on this deal. The 3D is crisp and easy on the eyes, the colors are spectacular. This is a steal...

edit: I just read the comments asking about glare. My screen sits in a sunlit area that used to annoy me with old Big screen. Mine has a great picture, even in midday with sunlight on it. I really appreciate the "smart screen" that brightens to compensate. A great picture, day or night.

madur0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madur0

Ok, ok.. all you chit chat made me buy one! If I don't like it... I am gonna beat you all up!!

Ginkasa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ginkasa

Whether he's "stealing" or not is going to depend on the theatre he goes to and what 3D system that theatre uses. Some theatres do have re-usable 3D glasses that are meant to be returned to the theatre. They are washed, sanitized, and given to the audience of the next show. The glasses are permanent and durable and should not be taken from the theatre.

Other theatres use cheaper, flimsier, single use glasses. They are individually wrapped. Theatres that use this system often urge you to return the glasses in a recycle bin outside the door. However, these glasses are not reused at that theatre, but are instead sent to a recycling center to be melted down and... recycled. There is no issue with taking these glasses home. I imagine these are the glasses he was referring to.

slesser69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slesser69
Gortizjr wrote:Somebody give me a reason NOT to buy this TV?!

Tell me a little about your life, I'll give you multiple reasons. Name, marital status, kids, looks, age, weight, IQ, state you live in, car you drive, etcetera.

bellstl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellstl

Thanks for all the reviews on this thread. Convinced me to buy one (after contemplating it for over 2 hours). Cant believe i used my last $5 jumbowoot coupon code on a $900 purchase

brucewootie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brucewootie

Ummm ... that's Virginia Senator Mark Warner, who is not running for re-election this cycle so I guess Woot doesn't have to give equal time to an opponent since he doesn't have one -- yet.

bugging75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bugging75

Purchased a 47lw5700 from tiger direct and had a hell of a time getting it without any damage. The packaging for the box was awesomely bad and came without the wifi adapter. I also did not include any glasses, but the same ones from the movie theater can be used for this unit, I have 10 at home now. As for the remote you can purchase the MOTION MAGIC remote which is a lil quirky but for the most part works like a Wii remote (snagged for 15 bucks on amazan). Basically I returned the unit twice and the third tv finally came without damage, the unit would lean into the stand in the box and cause compression cracks in the screen- packaging was non-existing.

In the end it was well worth it and be first of my friends to have a 3d tv this nice. The picture is great, even the passive 3d with the degraded resolution (runs at half resolution to display two images at once) is extremely clear and LG claims brain processes as HD picture- it looks amazing. Also 3d is an awesome experience, wish there was more content availabl! The tv is also Packed with features! I use the cable internet connection and am able to connect to my plex media server to browse my movie files. It's a lil touchy of file types it plays while streaming, but I stream hd movie from my computer into my living room with little problem. Also I'm able to connect my Android phone with the tv via wifi to use the TOUCHSCREEN to control as a remote- amazing! Also the android app is free. The DLNA works and I can play movies from my phone into the TV at command. The usb works with hard drives and better file compatibility than wifi but for some reason it doesn't want to allow the built in DVR to work. I was only able to get it to start working with a externally powered hard drive (those with own power and size of 40-1K gig) to be detected and tv asks if you want format for dvr-instant pause use but it was my friends and had his movies on it. I connected with my lg lhb 306 blu ray 3d player and the symplelink works ok, but needs to be turned on every time for some reason- it controls the volume and other basic features with one remote. Lastly the smartv feature is cute and ok for internet connection/browsing- just don’t expect to have this replace your computer. -facebook app sucks and you is a little better after update. It may be a little slow but you will save money connecting to hulu, netflix, youtube and so on without an external device- may want to upgrade to one eventually though this will surfice. No flash for internet browsing, though I think it can be hacked. Also there is a hack on youtube to allow usb hubs.

Overall I am so glad I bought this tv! I watch the 47 inch from about 10-13 feet and it's fine. As long as you don't get it damaged, you will be super happy with this buy. Best of luck to you! My experience sucked but was well worth it in the end!

added-only vice I have is tv is known to have issues synching audio to video. Tv updates automatically when connected to internet and last update helped, but still bugs.

p.p.s. if you have issues with the wifi adapter like I've read, try the NETGEAR WNCE2001 which I had to buy since unit came without adapter- thanks tiger. It works awesome and found for 19 bucks on amazon. keep checking prices, they float around from time to time

tking24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tking24

in for the 55". too much good was said about it by wooters and people at costco-ers. so i convinced myself that my 50 inch panasonic plasma wasn't thin enough, sharp enough, or 3D enough (or at all). i had to think about it for 3 hours, but i was afraid they'd be gone if i slept on it.

plus i had $5 from jumbowoot that expired at the end of the month. that was probably the deciding factor.

can't wait for it to get here.

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11646075/lg-lg-55-class-3d-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-with-4-pairs-of-3d-glasses-reviews/reviews.htm

TSOG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TSOG
ienvyno1 wrote:Now that's funny !! But you better buy at least a piece of gum before you grab those bags.

So, that's much cheaper than a movie ticket!

bchrist825

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bchrist825

I have been debating for 2 hours now...
Ready to press BUY button but need a little help deciding between the 47 & 55...
TV will be 11 feet away in a narrow 9 foot wide surround sound "TV Room" ...
Thoughts between the 2 choices??

asianglow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages asianglow
heartburnkid wrote:That's like saying you steal bags from the grocery store.

Well now... Grocery stores have started charging $.10 per paper bag, unless you bring your own. Maybe movie theaters should charge the extra $5 for glasses, so we could bring our own and save a little money.

Or we could just buy this TV and save even more in the long run :D

lspector

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lspector

Any significance to the picture of Mark Warner? Or just trying to lure me with a pic of my senator?

RichnPlenty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RichnPlenty

Does this require a network adapter since it is wifi ready?

DSGB-T

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DSGB-T
ienvyno1 wrote:Snap !!! Was that a 3 year Square Trade warranty for only $90? I thought it was only for a year. Hell yeah.. Must have that.

I cannot locate that deal. Help please.

djcubinlinx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djcubinlinx

The warranty is only 1 year @ $115. For 3 years at that price would be worth it

wehrd1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wehrd1

STEALING!?!? I think not. at $12 (or more) a ticket, those glasses come home with me. I paid for them

fils

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fils

Just bought myself a 55" birthday present. I hope it comes with batteries.

djcubinlinx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djcubinlinx
djcubinlinx wrote:The warranty is only 1 year @ $115. For 3 years at that price would be worth it

http://www.dtvexpress.com/

$79 for 3 years. Not sure how well the company is rated though

fils

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fils
djcubinlinx wrote:http://www.dtvexpress.com/

$79 for 3 years. Not sure how well the company is rated though

BBB has never heard of em?

http://www.bbb.org/us/bbb-online-business/?id=1021106161727458

simssj

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simssj
bchrist825 wrote:I have been debating for 2 hours now...
Ready to press BUY button but need a little help deciding between the 47 & 55...

Definitely the 55"!!! Our TV is 11 feet from the seats and we have a 61". I have trouble imagining using a screen any smaller than that.

The 8" difference doesn't sound like a lot, but it will make a huge difference for you.

You're probably going to have this TV for a long time so you should be happy with it; get the big one so you don't have to sit and watch and grumble "I should have got the big one!!!"

kranrev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kranrev

We've had the 46" version for about 9 months now and we've never regretted the purchase. The picture looks amazing, the software is frequently updated, and the passive 3d fits perfectly into our occasional novelty watching habits. It's cheaper, and it doesn't give me headaches like flicker glasses.

gpevans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gpevans

We own the 47" version of this TV, having purchased it in January this year for about $1000.

Our main problem has been internet connectivity issues. The wireless connection intermittently goes down while watching online material (via Amazon for example). This occurs even with the replacement wireless dongle that LG provided free.

We also have a wired connection to the TV that also fails sometimes, just not half way through shows. The router and everything else works correctly. The YouTube application is also very clumsy.

Internet connection issues aside, the colors look great and we are generally happy with the TV. I like the 3D, but my wife hates it, so it is subjective.

Therefore, if you are looking for faultless internet TV, be careful and do your research on internet connectivity issues.

If you just want a great 3D TV and are not looking for internet connectivity or can use another internet connection box, then this is a great buy.

spunge13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spunge13
mnkycmkydu wrote:Whoa, there are so many 1 star reviews on this thing, it's enough to make me steer clear of any LG tv!

I'm wondering about plasmas these days but still worry about image retention. Is this still a problem for modern plasma sets? The highest tier plasma last year from Panasonic (tv of the year) still has image retention issues

I just picked one of these up from tigerdirect. For $650 you get A LOT of tv. 3D actually works great, glasses are super cheap on Amazon, the smart hub has netflix, amazon instant, vudu...a lot more (NHL gamecenter was huge for me). With a simple google search you can figure out how to hack it and get local dimming. Supports Dolby audio. I have no complaints about the picture quality (for the price). It's not going to best your Panny plasma's, but it does have a ton of picture options you can tweak.

scottnorwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottnorwood

Your ad copy used to be funny, but when you try to get political, even if you try not to take sides, it is just whiny, just like the copy for this television. Must you? PS Really like my non 3D but otherwise pretty much identical LG 55".

djslayn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djslayn

I own the 42" version of this TV and use it as a computer monitor.

The 47" is 3DTV Play Compatible, which allows you to play games in 3D on your PC, if anyone is interested. The software works pretty good, but I've found that with most games you have to set your resolution to 720p, since most of the games run at a 60Hz refresh rate at 1080p, where 3D on a passive monitor only runs at 24 Hz refresh.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

Other thoughts: For those of you who wear glasses, LG sells a pair of clip-on flip-up 3D lenses. I use those when I am playing games in 3D because I hate having a second pair of glasses over my own glasses. Another bonus is the clip-ons work for Real3D movies in the theaters! I used mine to watch The Amazing Spider-Man in 3D

http://www.amazon.com/LG-AG-F220-Cinema-Glasses-LED-LCD/dp/B00540XS32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341920326&sr=8-1&keywords=3d+clip+on+glasses+for+lg

pmoorse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmoorse

In for the 55". Anybody know how this thing will ship? I don't want the mailman to dump this thing on the porch while I'm at work, because then I might never see it...

speedcrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedcrew

I say bigger is always better!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 60" TV, and sit about 8 feet away without a problem.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pmoorse wrote:In for the 55". Anybody know how this thing will ship? I don't want the mailman to dump this thing on the porch while I'm at work, because then I might never see it...

This is being drop shipped by the vendor so they will use their normal shipping company. Sorry but I don't have any more information than that.

FORUM MODERATOR

bugging75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bugging75

have the 47 inch and it does good for a sofa 13 feet away; didn't even realize it was that far till I measured it. However, if I had been able to buy the 55 for that little more, I would have done it. Still happy with 47