bhelm22

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bhelm22

anyone else having problems loading any woot page that is secure (https)?

bugging75

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bugging75
mwinkykitty wrote:So you're stealing from movie theaters now?

prices for movie tickets include cost of the glasses, which is why they cost more. The boxes that you return those glasses to are labeled "RECYCLING" which is an alternative to throwing them out.. or even letting the movie reuse those same glasses with the higher ticketed prices. Recycle as you please- like perhaps taking home and reusing

archanoid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archanoid

So how good of a deal would this be if I never used it for 3D? Even $899.99 seems like a pretty good deal for a 2D 55" LED/LCD TV.

yesthatmcgurk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yesthatmcgurk
bhelm22 wrote:anyone else having problems loading any woot page that is secure (https)?

I think this is because the one you're trying to buy is sold out.

bugging75

archanoid wrote:So how good of a deal would this be if I never used it for 3D? Even $899.99 seems like a pretty good deal for a 2D 55" LED/LCD TV.

still worth it. It has a great smart tv function if you like to play with home network and streaming online through netflix/hulu/youtube. Also there is an active 3d converter which is ok- you can project 2d into 3d

2cor418

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2cor418

I have the 55" - found it on sale for 300 more, but willin to pay even more - best TV we have ever had. Fast boot up, awesome definition and color - cool smart features. We wish we would have just got three of them to replace all of our "smart TVs"

buttermiked

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buttermiked
mevande wrote:Would buy in a heart beat. Great Deal esp on the 55 inch, don't have the cash laying around (: . I would also go with the square trade warranty. 99 bucks for 3 years is a steal and they replace it if it can't be fixed or give you your money back

I'm pretty sure the 3 years for $99 would be for a "new" TV... Squaretrade ups the price for refurbished items.

Samstag

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Samstag

If I didn't already have the 47" I'd definitely buy it again. Or if I had room for the 55".

It's a great TV. Nice bright colors, and pretty good dark blacks. 3D works great though I haven't watched a lot since the content is so expensive. This TV uses a LOT less electricity than a plasma or even an older LCD. The energy star info says you can use it for 4 hours per day for around $13 per year.

The smart apps aren't great but I only use the amazon streaming and that works well enough.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
Invisiblemoose wrote:Plasmas are cheaper with much better image quality, more realistic film playback, better blacks, better viewing angles and so on. As far as LCD tech goes, 120hz theoretically should mean smoother 24P playback (since it divides evenly into 120 and not 60), but poor implementations mean that's not always the case -- and the "smooth motion" interpolation crap is horrendous. Other than high-end local dimming displays, LED backlighting generally yields inferior consistency and color accuracy as a tradeoff for that bit of extra thinness and energy savings vs traditional CCFLs. Also 3D is a stupid gimmick from the 1950s that seriously needs to go away.

Wow. This statement basically covers everything I believe in regarding HDTV, to the letter. It's really too bad that most people have bought in to the majority of marketing bs. LED backlighting gives me a headache and " ancient technology" plasma offers the best viewing experience, period.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

deathopie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages deathopie

So this has Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant? If that's true, I'm in. I've been having issues with my older Roku and my Tivo doesn't do Prime videos. Anyone know how good the Netflix interface is? The Tivo HD (not premiere) one just shows your queue, no browse or search.

bhelm22

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bhelm22
yesthatmcgurk wrote:I think this is because the one you're trying to buy is sold out.

fdakljfdj I couldn't even get to the 55" - something was going on with https at home, by the time I got to work the 47's were sold out (the one I want and can afford)!

methane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages methane

Question: I see that this TV supports DLNA, and is "Windows 7 Certified" What I don't know is how well this would work as viewer of Media Center 7 content. Does anyone have any experience using a TV like this - or more the point, one of these TVs - to watch DVR-MS content? Hopefully without the need to transcode. Also, how is the media navigation in such a case?

dmsuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmsuperman
trojanusc wrote:This was enough to scare me off a bit - the review by Niuvaca - http://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinia-47LW5600-47-Inch-LED-LCD/product-reviews/B004OOTRPC/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

A single failure report is usually not statistically relevant. Almost any electronics device will get failures, are there many more reports like this?

spk1321

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spk1321

Ugh...all the TV deals keep selling out before I have a chance at them. No need for a 55" set. Looks like I'll need to start staying up until 1am again to see what the new deals are!

susanljo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages susanljo

I just bought the 55" after months of trying to decide what to get.

Also, I have to say that all of the comments on here are so helpful. It helped me make a decision and I want to thank all of you who take the time to write comments. They also give me a good chuckle.

kennassy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennassy

I bought this or so I thought the 47 inch option it said I'm on hold please tell me I got please please please....

unorthydox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unorthydox

I bought this TV (the 55") less than 6 months ago. I wish I'd paid this price for it though!!!

I did a lot of research, and the price/performance on the LG TVs blew away the competition. I wish I had some extra cash so I could buy the smaller one for my bedroom. *sigh*

dsbyrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsbyrd
bhelm22 wrote:anyone else having problems loading any woot page that is secure (https)?

Yes- I am getting a security certificate warning from Chrome.

bugging75

deathopie wrote:So this has Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant? If that's true, I'm in. I've been having issues with my older Roku and my Tivo doesn't do Prime videos. Anyone know how good the Netflix interface is? The Tivo HD (not premiere) one just shows your queue, no browse or search.

netflix is pretty good. It's got a little lag navigating and bringing stuff up but otherwise it's like the windows media player or online site experience you're used to. Also I'm not sure how you would enable the closed captioning without the magic remote.

djcubinlinx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djcubinlinx

I'm only holding back because of the warranty issue on the refurb. I'm searching for a good site.

johnson19aj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnson19aj

This will sound stupid I'm sure...Can you just turn off the 3D and have a great LED tv?

mshem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshem

I have the 65in and it is beautiful!!! Highly recommend!

eraie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages eraie
Ringo4422 wrote:Wow. This statement basically covers everything I believe in regarding HDTV, to the letter. It's really too bad that most people have bought in to the majority of marketing bs. LED backlighting gives me a headache and " ancient technology" plasma offers the best viewing experience, period.

I ditto this. In the past year and a half, I have purchased and returned 2 55" LED backlit w/ local dimming sets (including a LG 55LW5300, similar to this one here). My brain/eyes cannot tolerate LED backlighting. Even with local dimming, it's all about how cheap & slow LED drivers might still trigger the symptoms. According to my optometrist, I'm not alone with this phenomenon. My 1st choice is plasma for my theater room, but for my other LCD sets in the house (a plasma's heat is the only reason I won't put them in smaller rooms) they are all CCFL LCD...no symptoms whatsoever like those LED backlit ones.

Plus too much 3D will make you cross-eyed, just like too much of something else. :-)

mshem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mshem
johnson19aj wrote:This will sound stupid I'm sure...Can you just turn off the 3D and have a great LED tv?

Yes, the 3d is optional. It is 2d on normal channels, but can convert to 3d with the touch of a button on the remote. I think it is a great ledtv.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

With all the new woot! sites and now possibly sundires.woot.com I wonder if they will have anything good left for woot offs!

karnsp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karnsp

I just took the plunge and purchased the 55 incher. My first big purchase on Woot.

As a Woot polliwog, Is it a good idea for me to get the additional Squaretrade warranty on this? If yes, how do I get it?

Also, is a full motion wall mount a good idea for such a large tv?

zxinfinity

quality posts: 18 Private Messages zxinfinity

What happened to the Woots purchased stats? That's usually the first thing I'm interested in when an item sells out before noon!

darkinc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages darkinc

Stopped to read the comments before buying and woot sold out...

I was all in for a 55"er to

karnsp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karnsp

How long does Woot stuff take to ship normally? In other words, when can I expect this order to reach me?

MWPollard

quality posts: 15 Private Messages MWPollard

Wow - All the TVs went *POOF*

Wow - I woot!ed so much my sig can't contain it all! I couldn't even keep up with it - this list hasn't been updated in years!

My page: http://www.MichaelPollard.org

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Wow. Early day for woot.... now what do we do for the rest of the day??

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
bugging75 wrote:prices for movie tickets include cost of the glasses, which is why they cost more. The boxes that you return those glasses to are labeled "RECYCLING" which is an alternative to throwing them out.. or even letting the movie reuse those same glasses with the higher ticketed prices. Recycle as you please- like perhaps taking home and reusing

Actually their was a news program once that looked into those 3d glasses at the movies and it turns out a lot of the ones that people dump in the recycle bin end up being sealed up in a plastic bag and handed out to someone else at a later movie, and never are the glasses actually sterilized... so look out for the health and safety of future movie goers, take the glasses home, even if you just end up throwing them in the trash.

deathopie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages deathopie

Got in on a 47"er. How can the wife buy new countertops and not expect retaliation.

417sanders

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 417sanders

Why do my comments keep getting censored and taken down? I am not saying anything bad....

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
firebirdude wrote:Wow. Early day for woot.... now what do we do for the rest of the day??

Hang out, chat, buy more stuff on the other sites.

I'm just hanging out, really.

mooocow130

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mooocow130
Invisiblemoose wrote:... Also 3D is a stupid gimmick from the 1950s that seriously needs to go away.

I could not agree with you more! I am not a fan of it either.

inkycatz

417sanders wrote:Why do my comments keep getting censored and taken down? I am not saying anything bad....

If you'd like to PM me (or any other mod) with the approximate date/time of the missing comments, we will be able to investigate and see where they wandered off to.

madur0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madur0
firebirdude wrote:Wow. Early day for woot.... now what do we do for the rest of the day??

Let all duct tape all our cats and dogs and post photos!

inkycatz

madur0 wrote:Let all duct tape all our cats and dogs and post photos!

inkycatz

inkycatz wrote:Hang out, chat, buy more stuff on the other sites.

...Or talk about our favorite TV shows. (That seems remotely on topic.) Who's watching what this summer? I need a new series to watch while my shows are on hiatus (besides rewatching episodes of Doctor Who, that never gets old).