WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If the '70s was the last great age of vinyl (and record covers) and the '80s squirmed beneath the cruel plastic jackboot of the cassette, the '90s unquestionably belonged to the compact disc. The major labels thought they'd found the goose that laid the shiny silver egg. By the end of the decade, they were selling over 900 million CDs a year in the U.S. alone.

But like a disillusioned sophomore who has just blown five hours of her Hardee's wages on a disc with one-and-a-half good songs, music consumers soon found the "skip" button. CD sales are now a quarter what they were at the end of Clinton administration. This year, revenue from digital music sales will probably surpass physical sales for the first time. And it seems that every few months, there's another report about the major labels perhaps killing CDs altogether. After all the claims that CDs attained eternal perfection in music formats, it didn't take long for them to become as dated as 8-tracks or 78s.

Let us remember the CD era by remembering the 90s albums represented in the cover snippets below...

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

phillipblackwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phillipblackwood

1 - not sure.
2 - Blur "parklife'
3 - not sure.
4 - weezer "weezer" (pat wilson in the pic.)
5 - Lauren Hill "the Miseducation of Lauren Hill
6 - Green Day "dookie" are they a punk band?
7 - Garth Brooks "Chris Gaines"
8 - Radiohead - "Ok Computer"

Didn't look at the answers NARWHALS!

-P

ChrisW6ATV

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChrisW6ATV

I knew none of those. Do an 80s test, I will do much better. "80s the era of the cassette"? Some of us NEVER bought cassettes that were already recorded. After 1984-85, I ONLY bought CDs (hundreds of them).

haslert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haslert

I think 3 is Alanis Morissette...Jagged Little Pill

phillipblackwood wrote:1 - not sure.
2 - Blur "parklife'
3 - not sure.

-P

seekayeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seekayeff

don't know #1.
3 is Alanis Morrisette (i worked in a big record store we sold thousands)
knew the rest except 7.

ckf

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

The 90's? Was there any real music in the 90's?

(At least you didn't ask about covers in the 2010's - no one buys anything but single songs anymore...)

shipofgold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shipofgold

The rest were already expertly answered. I can contribute for #1.

#1 -- Wu Tang Clan Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

devotiondoubt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages devotiondoubt

1) Wu-Tang- Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

2) Blur- Park Life

3) Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill

4) Weezer- Weezer

5) Laurn Hill- Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

6) Chris Gaines- Greatest Hits

7) Green Day- Dookie

8) Radiohead- OK Computer

mileswade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mileswade

No freaking idea. I stopped buying music in the 70's when the RIAA started suing its customers. I don't pirate music, I just decided enough was enough. Most of the music in the 80's and 90's wasn't worth paying for anyway.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

From the 50's going forward, the 90's is definitely the decade with which I am least familiar (musically), so I pleasantly surprised that I got half of them (I knew 4-7).

joeysnyder6952

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeysnyder6952
mileswade wrote:No freaking idea. I stopped buying music in the 70's when the RIAA started suing its customers. I don't pirate music, I just decided enough was enough. Most of the music in the 80's and 90's wasn't worth paying for anyway.

joeysnyder6952

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeysnyder6952

Someone has an agenda!!! Lol

actn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages actn

From the 50s forward, the 90s is probably the decade I know the MOST about (so I nailed this quiz, 100%). The 80s is the least.

I actually have all my CDs in chronological order right now. My goal is to have at least 5 albums from every year starting in 1950. The earliest year that's true already is 1970, so I have a ways to go.

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

I only knew #5 and #6.

thesecondplace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thesecondplace

3 is "Jagged Little Pill", but I have no idea what 1 is.

phillipblackwood wrote:1 - not sure.
2 - Blur "parklife'
3 - not sure.

-P

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
olperfesser wrote:At least you didn't ask about covers in the 2010's - no one buys anything but single songs anymore...

No one buys music at all anymore. At least according to the recording industry and Congress. They just steal it.