WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Toshiba Big Screen Laptops

What's the hardest thing a relationship has to endure? No, not all those sensible things you just said. The hardest thing is deciding where to put the computers! That's why we recommend that you and yours get as many of these Toshiba laptops as possible.
Toshiba official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

I'm pretty sure these can play Angry Birds. ;) That said, let's get into the specs comparison!

I'm just hanging out, really.

kschang

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kschang

There's quad-core, then there's Intel i7 quad-core...

And yes, I'm writing this on a Toshiba i7 quad-core 17.3" laptop. ;)

jrs1980

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jrs1980

Been using Toshiba since '03, when I got my first laptop. (On my second now. Relatedly, hey, remember when 40 gig was a lot of hard drive space??) Both were/are Satellite systems. Always happy with what they offer.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

herrojima

quality posts: 3 Private Messages herrojima
kschang wrote:There's quad-core, then there's Intel i7 quad-core...

And yes, I'm writing this on a Toshiba i7 quad-core 17.3" laptop. ;)

While they may not be i7s, the AMD APUs that are packed in these however, come with a fairly decent GPU portion, compared to the intel counter parts. They will play games (re: WoW/D3) well within playable standards, and surprisingly well for the price point.~

so many woots so little time ( or money depends on how you look at things ~_^)

wootwoot41

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwoot41

Would any of these laptops be good for playing Diablo 3?

herrojima

wootwoot41 wrote:Would any of these laptops be good for playing Diablo 3?

They will play games (re: WoW/D3) well within playable standards, and surprisingly well for the price point.~

Read: I have a Samsung with a similar APU and general specs, I get about 30FPS+ @mid settings, 1440x900. That's about what you can expect.

wootwoot41

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwoot41

I saw the post about the processor, just wasn't sure if that was talking just about the processor or the computer as a whole. Am I correct in thinking the Radeon HD 6520G is a little better than the Intel HD Graphics?

I guess my question is which is better: the AMD Quad-Core with the Radeon HD 6520G, or the i3 processor with the Intel HD graphics?

herrojima

wootwoot41 wrote:I saw the post about the processor, just wasn't sure if that was talking just about the processor or the computer as a whole. Am I correct in thinking the Radeon HD 6520G is a little better than the Intel HD Graphics?

I guess my question is which is better: the AMD Quad-Core with the Radeon HD 6520G, or the i3 processor with the Intel HD graphics?

Miles better. Just check out these Youtube videos That show the APU in action. Pretty much regardless of the other hardware you have (within reason), how the games are performing in these videos is roughly what you'll get on your laptop.

(If you don't trust my link for some reason, Youtube search AMD A6-3400M)

gotseven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gotseven

Please more Intel Based Laptops and less AMD ones. They clearly sell waaaay better.

gwh199

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwh199

I got one from Woot a few months ago and (except for the BLOATWARE) I am very pleased. It's better than I hoped and I don't care that it's refurbished.

phlypp

quality posts: 7 Private Messages phlypp
gotseven wrote:Please more Intel Based Laptops and less AMD ones. They clearly sell waaaay better.

The Intel laptop that looked like that best buy (L775/S7350B) had a grand total of ONE available.

Be Here Now!

lebeatnik

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lebeatnik
wootwoot41 wrote:

CPU comparison:
AMD A6-3400M Vs Intel Core i3-2310M | Compare Processors - http://bit.ly/Lo9srZ

Graphics Comparison
AMD Radeon HD 6520G vs Intel HD Graphics 3000 | Compare Processors - http://bit.ly/Lo9xMg

to put it short the AMD is better.
idk WHY SO MANY people want Intel iCore systems Virtual processors are not as good as physical ones.... Also the iCore processors sold in these systems are only second gen so they are not as good as a current gen. Also Sure the AMD is the Entry Level quad core processor for laptops the i3 is an entry level iCore CPU and is like I said 2 cores each with 2 virtual cores.

Anyway with whats left the AMD is the better system and its cheaper.

Just put a lowercase "i" before your products name and some reason they sell

Everyone needs to buy a couple iThings to be popular now!

herrojima

@lebeatnik

While I disagree with the assumptions on the differences in performance with the two processors; what makes the difference in these laptops is that the AMD's have a real graphics processor, compared to the Intel laptops.

"Intel HD graphics" is not realistically capable of playing *any* types of games from the last 5 years at least. The AMD APUs, with their Raedon 6520, *will* be able to run games, even ones that came out this year.

If you absolutely could not care about playing a game, get the Intel one, and let someone that does care get the AMD one.

pimms01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pimms01

does this one have Touch pad with multitouch sensitivity similar to an iPhone ??

turboed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turboed
wootwoot41 wrote:I saw the post about the processor, just wasn't sure if that was talking just about the processor or the computer as a whole. Am I correct in thinking the Radeon HD 6520G is a little better than the Intel HD Graphics?

I posted this in the other Toshiba laptop on the front page:

I have this laptop with an AMD A6 3420M 1.5GHz that I purchased new from BB because I had $200 in gift cards courtesy of my bank. :D

Retail in Jan 2012 was a little over $430 and came with only 4gb RAM, 500GB HD, and a regular DVD/burner optical drive. Since then I upgraded the ram to 8GB for $35 and a BluRay Drive w/Lightscribe for $30 from Fleabay.

WEI is comparable to an I3 2350M @ 2.3ghz that's in my wife's Samsung Series 3. However, like all the internet reviews, AMD's built in graphics card is more superior and better for gaming. It can also be overclocked (though I don't plan on trying it)

WEI for the AMD: 6.7,7.3,5.9,6.5,5.9

WEI for the I3: 6.6,7.3,5.3,6.3,5.9

I may get an SSD for the Toshiba down the road.

Hope that helps a little bit for those who are thinking about picking one up.

{edit} I wanted to mention something about the touch pad. Though I'm not a big fan of laptop touch pads, this one works pretty well. If you're like me that likes using cordless ones, then there's a conveniently placed button underneath the spacebar that toggles it off.

Battery Life: 3 hours with wifi, 4 without.

Also, just came back from BB and took the WEI numbers from the L775 Toshiba equipped with an i3-2350M & 4GB of Ram: 6.7,5.9,4.7,6.2,5.9

The most glaring difference is the 3rd spec (Desktop performance for Windows Aero). AMD = 5.9 vs i3 = 4.7

Also upping the ram helps, RAM 8GB=7.3 vs 4GB=5.9

Note: I know there are better apps out to benchmark than the WEI, however it's the only app available to use while at the store.

hohohoho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hohohoho

Bigger is Better, you say? Not so fast...

Please be mindful that a 17.3" laptop makes a suitable desktop replacement but it awkward at best when it comes to portability. I thought this would be a moot point for me when I purchased my 17.3" laptop as I thought it would remain stationary forever in the spot vacated by its desktop predecessor. As you might have guessed, I've had to take it on business/personal trips and that's when I wondered why I hadn't listened to those I thought were naysayers when they insisted a 15.6" laptop would be the largest I'd want to carry around. Don't get me wrong--I love my large screen and i3 core processor. But I found out the hard way just how bulky it is to pack/carry and subsequently how easy it is to knock into things with it. Finally, after months of searching, I was able to purchase one of only two reasonably priced backpacks with a dedicated laptop section big enough to hold it (and then just barely). Now at least I can go through TSA inspection and bring my laptop on board in carry-on luggage that doesn't embarrass me. Previously, I was reduced to carrying this laptop in a canvas beach bag; I'd like to think it exuded chic sophistication but realistically it was pretty ghetto. Go ahead and buy one of these 17.3" laptops if it's really what you want--just keep in mind that portability will be awkward as you'll have a challenge finding a laptop bag or backpack big enough to carry it. The key to keep in mind is that most laptop bags and backpacks are rated for a maximum 15.6" laptop.

turboed

hohohoho wrote:Bigger is Better, you say? Not so fast...

My Toshiba 17" is lighter than my 6 year old Dell 15" Inspiron Core2Duo. The screen size is a huge plus when working with big spreadsheets and quickbooks.

There are a lot of affordable 17" backpacks/cases. This one "V7 17-Inch Professional Frontloader Laptop Case" is only $20 on Amazon. The backpack I am currently using is on sale for $25 (from 40) called a Case Logic 17" Laptop Backpack.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-VNB-217-17-Inch-Backpack/dp/B002J9HBSE/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342326846&sr=1-4&keywords=v7+17%22+backpack

I take mine to work all the time.

graffito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages graffito

Do any of these 17"-ers allow for a second Hard Drive? I recall that most of the cheapo (er, inexpensive) Toshi's DO NOT.

davisjenkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davisjenkins

I bought the 15.6 in first time buying something from here how long does it normally take things to ship

turboed

graffito wrote:Do any of these 17"-ers allow for a second Hard Drive? I recall that most of the cheapo (er, inexpensive) Toshi's DO NOT.

No it doesn't.

nklb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nklb

My guess is that for most people it will ship either tonight or tomorrow, based on my past experience with woot.

davisjenkins wrote:I bought the 15.6 in first time buying something from here how long does it normally take things to ship

nklb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nklb

Looks like I was right. Only it turns out I just got my shipping email last night; the laptop actually shipped out the day before, and it is due for delivery today :-)

davisjenkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davisjenkins

Nice looks like it took a few extra days for mine I just checked and it as per the USPS site it has not moved

nklb wrote:Looks like I was right. Only it turns out I just got my shipping email last night; the laptop actually shipped out the day before, and it is due for delivery today :-)

sharramarie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharramarie

I ordered a laptop on 7/16, and it's still Awaiting Shipping. Anyone else or just me? Not really worried, I wanna play with it!

colby429

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colby429
sharramarie wrote:I ordered a laptop on 7/16, and it's still Awaiting Shipping. Anyone else or just me? Not really worried, I wanna play with it!

same here.

cshaw22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cshaw22

Me, too. Still waiting for shipment. What's up, Woot?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hello all. Those of you looking for tracking info, you might try FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. For some reason this sometimes works better. Your order number is on your receipt which you can get via My Account. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

If you still don't have anything, feel free to email service@woot.com.

Just remember that it can take 5 business days from the time you order (not including the day you ordered) for your order to ship out.

Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kentoconnell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kentoconnell

eek, I thought surely I'd have it before I move from one coast to the other next week.

Using the alternative tracking method shows no results. Should I be changing my shipping address?

sroeber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sroeber

It's been longer than six days and I still have no info on shipment. :/

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey there. For those looking for tracking updates, you might try FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. For some reason, this method works better sometimes.

Your order number is on your receipt which you can get via My Account. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

If you still don't see anything, feel free to email service@woot.com.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

colby429

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colby429

I am still getting nothing even with the fedex track by reference.

ThunderThighs wrote:Hey there. For those looking for tracking updates, you might try FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. For some reason, this method works better sometimes.

Your order number is on your receipt which you can get via My Account. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

If you still don't see anything, feel free to email service@woot.com.

kentoconnell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kentoconnell
kentoconnell wrote:eek, I thought surely I'd have it before I move from one coast to the other next week.

Using the alternative tracking method shows no results. Should I be changing my shipping address?

Crisis averted, new address updated. Thanks Woot.

cshaw22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cshaw22

Anyone get their computer? Mine seems to be stuck somwhere between Woot and FedEx.

SDL69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SDL69

Got mine Friday...DOA! Came 4 days early but back-light didn't work and they have no more to RMA. Sent back for a refund. A shame, cuz I really wanted it.

vcalhoun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vcalhoun

Received my laptop today after placing my order on the 17th. Did anyone else get their laptop and the shipping box look like it was thrown out of a plane?

btnonline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btnonline
vcalhoun wrote:Received my laptop today after placing my order on the 17th. Did anyone else get their laptop and the shipping box look like it was thrown out of a plane?

Yeah, me too. It just arrived today (8/1), with tattered shipping box, though the unit looked undamaged. Turned out, the laptop was DOA. No joy!

btnonline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btnonline
SDL69 wrote:Got mine Friday...DOA! Came 4 days early but back-light didn't work and they have no more to RMA. Sent back for a refund. A shame, cuz I really wanted it.

Mine arrived after 2 weeks (ordered July 16). Also DOA. Called Toshiba, but they said they only service refurb items bought directly from them. Sigh! Requested RMA from Woot. Lesson learned about Toshiba's service quality and Woot's refurbs. Refrain from both!