I own the predecessor of this model, with the same BTU rating. I have had it for three years now. I bought it for about the same price on EBay directly from Sharp, refurbished.
1) Quiet: You won't find quieter portable AC unit anywhere else. The Japanese really knows how to make their appliances unintrusive; I'd testify to its "library quiet" claim. And even at its "mega cool" (continuous maximum cooling), it's still quieter than any box-fan on high. No kidding.
2) Easy installation for difficult location: We have those push open windows with a bug screen and the condo does not allow window air-conditioner (obviously for safety reason). I just measured the bug screen size, and the size of the hose's vent and had a plastic screen fabricated to fit over the bug screen. After that, installation took no more than 15 minutes.
3) Cool small space quickly: My condo is already LEED certified so the insulation is great. Using this air conditioner, the living room would cool down very quickly (30 minutes for a 400 sq. ft. space).
4) Almost zero maintenance: The evaporative bucketless condensation feature works. Beautifully. Only on one occasion did I need to use the very simple pumping feature to empty the water from the unit. It's so easy, too. Hold down a button, put a bowl next to the drainage opening, and voila. Done in a minute.
5) Reliable: Three years now, and it has never skipped a beat.
6) Craftsmanship and build-quality: It's beautifully designed with attention to detail that would make you think that if Apple were to build an air-conditioner unit, this would be it. It's substantial, solid and everything gives a feeling of a good quality product. Using a car analogy, the Sharp air-conditioning units would be like an Infiniti or an Acura. It quietly disappears from your decor.
In short, after three years of ownership, I highly recommend these Sharp to everyone.
Not many, and mostly are nitpicking. Or calling it "advice to using it optimally may be more accurate.
1) The exhaust hose gets hot: This effectively would lower the efficiency of the cooling (since you are heating the room back up). An easy fix for me was to wrap the exhaust hose with a long winter wool scarf around the hose as insulation. This made a difference; and the hose actually looks rather stylish now (being fashionably vain myself).
2) Cooling power is enough only for small space: But that we already know looking at the BTU value. It's not really a cons, just want people to have reasonable expectations.
Highly recommended - for the price, it's hard to find better. Do read the manual when you get it, so you know how to work it nicely.