WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Say, how many songs have been written about women? No, please don't try to count, it's futile. Probably the very first song was about a woman, and they've been a major subject of music ever since. Today Scott's taking a look at songs that immortalize the ladies once loved, lost, or who otherwise did something noteworthy. Like this one, for example:

Ready For The World - Oh Sheila

What's good for the gander is also good for the goose, and based on these lyrics, it seems Sheila might not have cared so much about Our Hero's goofy accent. But he's still gonna do his best Prince impersonation and try to win her back. Since this song was a decent sized '80s hit, maybe it all worked out in the end? All I can say for sure is that this song is DEFINITELY about a girl. Maybe from Australia.

Inside you'll get four more girl names, plus last week's Spotify playlist. Then it'll be your turn to add a song of your own in the comments. See you right after the jump!

As you likely recall, we've got a weekly Spotify playlist, featuring a great selection from last week's Music Monday comments. This time it's Forgotten Hip Hop and it's both dope AND phat. Just please don't check it out until after you enjoy the current Music Monday below.

Steve Winwood - Valerie

This lovely song seems like the story of a heartbreak, but it's not. It's really an outreach, a friend calling out to a friend hooked on drugs and letting her know he's still there to help. This song was a great hit for Steve Winwood (and a maybe NSFW dance track hit for Eric Prydz) plus the song's namesake seems to be clean and sober today. So, happy endings all around, maybe?

Elvis Costello - Alison

Elvis Costello hasn't ever said very much about the real person behind this song, except that "much could be undone by saying more." Probably the real "Alison" knows who she is and what this song's actually about. The rest of us can just enjoy the mystery. Bonus trivia: some of the backing band went on to become The News of Huey Lewis fame!

The Beach Boys - Barbara Ann

This American classic is best known as being a Beach Boys hit, but the Beach Boys never knew the original Barbara Ann that The Regents sang about. Apparently the song is named after the songwriter's sister which is sorta… well, it was a more innocent time. Probably he meant well, right? The song got another small boost in Welcome Back Kotter and if you know what that link is gonna be already, thank you for not making me feel so old.

The Hollies - Carrie Anne

Well, Graham Nash certainly knew how to write a pop song. This Hollies hit was actually about Marianne Faithfull, because Nash had a crush he was too shy to act on. Maybe it's for the best he never did, because, when ranking pick-up lines, "What's your game, girl, can anybody play?" is not even in the top thousand, and "You're so like a woman to me" really sounds like an insult! Since the competition was David Bowie and Mick Jagger, this kind of clumsy tribute was pretty much dead in the water. Catchy, though.

Before you head to our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday fun, let's make something clear: this is a two-parter! Next week, in the interest of fairness, we'll be taking a look at boy songs, so be ready. But this week's all about the women, and we want your additions to our playlist. Throw your favorite female-named song in the comments below. Also, as usual, some images come from their corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 126 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S WINDY

And the bane of my existence:

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

You're all going to hate me but it's gotta be done

Enjoy having this song stuck in your head for the rest of the year.

Dexys Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen

This one's a real heartbreaker so enjoy it.

Martha - Tom Waits

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151

[From Family Guy: Ocean's Three and a Half]

Brian Griffin: What's it called?
Stewie Griffin: Susie.
Brian Griffin: Wow, a song named after a girl. There aren't a million of those already.
Stewie Griffin: Name twenty!
Brian Griffin: Rosanna, Roxanne, Michelle, Alison, Sarah, Angie, Brandy, Mandy, Gloria, Cecilia, Maggie May, Jessica, Nancy, Barbara Ann, Billie Jean, Layla, Lola, Polly, Helena, Jenny From the Block.
Stewie Griffin: Name six more!
Brian Griffin: Sherry, Laura, Wendy, Maria, Peggy Sue, Minnie the Moocher.
Stewie Griffin: Name five more!
Brian Griffin: Tracy, Jean, Jane, Mary Ann, Eleanor Rigby.
Stewie Griffin: [throws his guitar down on the ground; as he walks out:] Go **** yourself!

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

I can't tell if it's been posted in one of the above posts with embedded youtube since it's blocked, but what about "Sherry" by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons?

cantonkim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cantonkim

kim - eminem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYKMRY5Rr9I

love when exes send me that...hello restraining order

yoi55

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yoi55

The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women

amandarain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amandarain

There's the song that I was named for...

and then there is the song that I would prefer to have been named for

charleneely

quality posts: 3 Private Messages charleneely

We named my daughter after this song.
Sweet Jane- Velvet Underground
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkumhBVPGdg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you couldnt guess her name is Lydia.
Ha!

Also my youngest is named Eleanor , after Eleanor Roosevelt but I could tell her "Eleanor Rigby" but I dont want her to grow up hating herself.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

I'm just hanging out, really.

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

The Grateful Dead did several of these:

• Stella Blue
  • Bertha
  • Althea
  • Loose Lucy
  • Peggy-O
  • Cassidy

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

rww00042

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rww00042

How about Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkel?

http://youtu.be/a5_QV97eYqM

dcigary

quality posts: 11 Private Messages dcigary

OH. COME. ON.

Jenny (867-5309)

/has to do everything around here

mousekinn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mousekinn

I am disappoint.

daiseebee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daiseebee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvFESQmeKpI
Bridget the Midget the Queen of the Blues - Ray Stevens 1970

mamajoan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mamajoan

Queen - "Delilah," a little-known and underappreciated Freddie Mercury piece. SPOILER: it's not about a woman ;)

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099

Oh my gosh.. so many good ones.. head is exploding..
I'm really diggin 'Shelia' and their awesome boy band dance moves. Slice!
Saosin did a lovely accustic cover of Pinback's called 'Penelope.'
I also like Amy Winehouse's and Mark Ronson's cover of 'Valerie.'
The Fratellis' 'Chelsea Dagger' is one of my faves to dance to, along with 'Henrietta.'
Does Barbie Girl count?

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
jai151 wrote:[From Family Guy: Ocean's Three and a Half]

Brian Griffin: What's it called?
Stewie Griffin: Susie.
Brian Griffin: Wow, a song named after a girl. There aren't a million of those already.

While maybe not this exact dialogue, this sentiment was my immediate reaction to this whole topic.

That being said...

- I was expecting Pattie Boyd (the former Mrs. George Harrison and Mrs. Eric Clapton) to be first on the list as she was the subject of *two* iconic songs: Clapton's "Layla" and The Beatles' "Something" (she also claims to be the inspiration to "Wonderful Tonight", "Bell Bottom Blues" and "I Need You" among others) Although I guess "Layla" is the only song among these that has a girl's name in the title.

- I was struck by the fact that "Alison" wasn't even my first thought when I saw Elvis Costello's name. I first thought of "Veronica".

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

inkycatz wrote:

AHHH!! I love Mike Doughty :D

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned:

Although..i suppose it's more about Jessie's girl..and less about Jessie...

spaztic1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spaztic1

As I am reading this, I hear over the radio "...and here's to you, Mrs Robinson...

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Ruby - Kenny Rogers
Mabelline - too many to count

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

hefty244

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hefty244

Amy by Pure Prairie League and Sweet Mellisa by the Allman Brothers were the first two to pop into my head.

Southern Rock FTW!

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

"Julie, Do Ya Love Me?" - Bobby Sherman

"Brandy" - Looking Glass

"Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes" - Edison Lighthouse

angelgirl5004

quality posts: 1 Private Messages angelgirl5004

because it doesn't always need the name of the woman (in this case Holly) in the title, and Blink is awesome

Blink 182 - "All of This"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcV958thzYc

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars
Scott wrote:Since the competition was David Bowie and Mick Jagger ...

I really love this one: "Angie" by The Rolling Stones.

Also, "Lovely Rita" by The Beatles!

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

LarryLars

CatCK wrote:"Julie, Do Ya Love Me?" - Bobby Sherman

"Brandy" - Looking Glass

"Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes" - Edison Lighthouse

I love you for posting these!!!!!!

!

CatCK

How about a little Motown?
"Bernadette" - The Four Tops

And a little bit of country:
"Joanne" - Michael Nesmith

And, a little bit of comedy as Mike spoofs his own song:
"Rodan" (or is it "Rodanne"?)- Michael Nesmith (from Elephant Parts)

LarryLars

From www.allmusic.com:
"By rights, Tony Burrows should be a one-man oldies package tour -- though he never charted a record under his own name, he holds the unusual honor (you can look it up in The Guinness Book of World Records) of having four records in the British Top Ten at once, all under different names. The British session vocalist sang Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)," White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'," the Pipkins' ridiculous "Gimme Dat Ding," and the Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand," all of which were big hits in both the U.S. and U.K. in 1970. ... a Top Ten entry in 1974, in collaboration with his old White Plains associate John Carter, with his lead on the Beach Boys homage record "Beach Baby," credited to the First Class."

!

Phil254

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phil254

What about all the Glorias? Here are a few of them:

Manhattan Transfer

Van Morrison

Laura Branigan

Enchantment

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
it is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning,
it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

LarryLars

If you believe "Mony" to be a girl's name, then I give you "Mony Mony".
Since most of you are familiar with Billy Idol's version(s), I dug up the original by Tommy James and the Shondells.

!

CatCK

LarryLars wrote:From www.allmusic.com:
"By rights, Tony Burrows should be a one-man oldies package tour -- though he never charted a record under his own name, he holds the unusual honor (you can look it up in The Guinness Book of World Records) of having four records in the British Top Ten at once, all under different names. The British session vocalist sang Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)," White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'," the Pipkins' ridiculous "Gimme Dat Ding," and the Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand," all of which were big hits in both the U.S. and U.K. in 1970. ... a Top Ten entry in 1974, in collaboration with his old White Plains associate John Carter, with his lead on the Beach Boys homage record "Beach Baby," credited to the First Class."

To add to that, in the promotional video for "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)", which I have linked here, Tony Burrows is not the guy we see "singing" the song. According to the comments, his name is Andy Locke. When the song became a huge hit, they needed to have a group to sing it on television, so they found this band, who became Edison Lighthouse.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Ermahgerd... you're trying to kill me, aren't you. I started posting here before I've bought anything solely because I'm a big sucker for this type of thing (Music Monday). I subscribed to the RSS feed hoping to find a flip video type camera and ran right into a MM. The rust is history.

Staying away from the hits:
Dolly - Shonen Knife - YouTube
Dear Dotti - Lunachicks - YouTube
Dorothy - Alice Donut — YouTube
Judie by Those Peabodys | Song | Free Music, Listen Now
Izabella - Jimi Hendrix - YouTube
Melissa (Studio Version) - Mercyful Fate - YouTube probably NSFW due to satanic lyrics.
Oprah - Weird Lovemakers - YouTube NSFW language
Polly Bee - Deerhoof - YouTube
Roni - Chikita Violenta - YouTube I'm assuming this is named for a girl.
Sabrina - The Hanson Brothers - YouTube

lorinmichael

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lorinmichael

Though it's an instrumental, I've always loved Jessica

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99

I'm gonna go a little obscure on ya:

She Sheila - The Producers

Jacksie - Over the Rhine

any chance I can get to post an OtR song I'll do it!

LarryLars

Jackie Blue by Ozark Mountain Daredevils

!

rainman0694

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rainman0694
mousekinn wrote:

I am disappoint.

Ditto-ed

zkam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zkam

The Allman Brothers were already mentioned with "Jessica", but they also did "Melissa" and "Angeline" (no video)

A few more:

Jayhawks - Angelyne
Fleetwood Mac - "Rhiannon" and "Sarah"
and another "Sarah" (from Starship)
Bob Dylan - "Sarah Jane"
Heart - "Dreamboat Annie"
Simon & Garfunkel - "Cecilia"
Little Richard - "Lucille", "Long Tall Sally", "Good Golly Miss Molly"
Chuck Berry - "Maybelline"
The Monkees - "Mary, Mary"
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "Mary Jane's Last Dance"
Bruce Springsteen - "Mary Queen of Arkansas"
The Band - "Ophelia"
Neil Diamond - "Sweet Caroline"
Beach Boys - "Caroline, No"
Wolfmother - "Caroline"
The Cars - "Candy O"

... and dozens more that don't come to mind at the moment (plus it's time for bed)

dfunk29

quality posts: 47 Private Messages dfunk29

I can't believe I didn't see the song that haunted me the ENTIRE time I was growing up, and to this day....

Dirty Diana By MJ hee ee!

and then there's Diana by Paul Anka, and a few more..

dell2342

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dell2342

Does this count?

If not, then

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig