WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

For as long as people have been making pictures, they've been making pictures of war. And no wonder. The grime, the glory, the heroism, the horror: war is human drama at its most intense and primal. The heat of battle makes for powerful images, whether they're in a museum or a newspaper. Can you name these paintings, sculptures, and photos; the people who created them; and the conflicts they depict?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

You want more Trivial Eye, don't you? Yeah, you do.

ilta

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ilta

1) ?
2) Vietnam War; that's Captain Pho(?), a Southern Vietnamese soldier, shooting a POW in the head
3) French Revolution; "Liberty leading the People" by Delacroix
4) Spanish Civil War; "Guernica" by Pablo Picasso
5) World War II, Soviet Soldier captures the Reichstag
6) Trojan War, Lacoon Killed by Poseidon's Snakes (had to look that one up)
7) William's Conquest of England (Battle of Hastings), from the Bayeux Tapestry
8) American War of Independence, "Washington Crossing the Delaware"

tcdrennen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcdrennen

All correct! #1 is Francisco Goya, French killing Spanish peasants during the Napoleonic Wars The Third of May

ilta wrote:1) ?
2) Vietnam War; that's Captain Pho(?), a Southern Vietnamese soldier, shooting a POW in the head

kQuik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kQuik

Goya yes, good eye (pat self on back, too)

NavyDallas

quality posts: 7 Private Messages NavyDallas
ilta wrote:1) ?

I was anticipating seeing the photo of Capa's "Falling Soldier" rather than Picasso's "Guernica." Love Picasso.

Have you ever taken a look at a high res copy of "Washington Crossing the Delaware"? George has on white pants and what looks like some strange codpiece with a red vienna sausage hanging out of it.

Have a look.

A genuine original Woot!-istanian.

mcthatch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mcthatch

1. Goya painting on the Spanish rebellion of 1808 during the Napoleonic Wars

2. Vietnam War

3. French Revolution of 1830 by Delacroix....he's painted himself in the picture.

4. Picasso's Guernica on the bombing of the town by fascist/I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant airplanes during the Spanish Civil War

5. Soviet capture of Berlin in 1945, World War II

6. Trojan War

7. Bayeux Tapestry, Norman conquest of England, 1066

8. American Revolution

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

This Trivial Eye is way too high brow (trivial eye brow?), bring back cartoons!

j/k, kinda...

The only one I knew all 3 elements was Guernica, though I recognized most of the others - knew exactly which photo that was from the Viet Nam war, but didn't know any names associated w/ it.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
DennisG2010 wrote:This Trivial Eye is way too high brow (trivial eye brow?), bring back cartoons!

j/k, kinda...

I try to follow the same rule that TV stations used to have to follow: throw some educational programming in there every once in a while. We'll get back to the nerd candy soon.

ilta

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ilta
NavyDallas wrote:I was anticipating seeing the photo of Capa's "Falling Soldier" rather than Picasso's "Guernica." Love Picasso.

Have you ever taken a look at a high res copy of "Washington Crossing the Delaware"? George has on white pants and what looks like some strange codpiece with a red vienna sausage hanging out of it.

Have a look.

Higher resolution on Wikipedia -- they call it a "watch fob".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze%2C_MMA-NYC%2C_1851.jpg