jai151


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
RWoodward wrote:I had an elderly friend who's lifelong home was legally stolen from her by the nieces and nephews of her partner.

When they bought their home, same-sex couples were heavily discouraged from buying property in joint custody. In fact, she believed it was illegal at the time. Everything went in the partner's name because she had established credit -a rare thing for a woman in those days. When her partner passed away, the family who had disowned her decades before stepped forward to claim all of her property. The home, cars, furnisings, clothing, bank accounts, everything. They had her burried in a pauper's cemetery and split the procedes. My friend was literally tossed out with only the clothes on her back. She couldn't even arrange for a decent funeral because she had no right to dispose of the body. Had they been a straight couple, the State's "common law" marriage rules would have protected her. As it was, she had no rights under the law. Her years of paying the bills and upkeep on the house -along with her years of love, companionship and dedication to her partner meant absolutely nothing. No argument, legal, religious, traditional or otherwise can convince me that this was a good thing.



And this is the perfect example, and the reason why even though I have no dog in the fight (both straight and single) I do think gay marriage needs to have federal backing legislation.

Kyralessa wrote:So...why didn't your elderly friend and her companion have a will?



This is an INCREDIBLY common occurrence. People just don't think to have a will, and even if one exists it can be fought in court.

RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
Kyralessa wrote:So...why didn't your elderly friend and her companion have a will?



Because in those days small town folks thought wills were for rich people, and required expensive lawyers to draft them.

amynance


quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:You're forgetting the millions of Americans who are married to a member of the opposite sex, but didn't have a "religious union". I got married in a courthouse. My marriage doesn't fit your definition of a traditional marriage, so why do I still get to call it a "marriage"? Why do I enjoy all the rights and privileges of being legally married?
Additionally, some opposite sex partners are physically unable to have children. Are you suggesting they shouldn't be allowed to legally marry because they can't reproduce? What does having kids have to do with being married anyway? A lot of people don't even want kids.
So many holes in your argument...



Spot. On.

phatmass


quality posts: 1 Private Messages phatmass
You want the customers who are fervent, dedicated, and will return again and again, maybe even bringing their friends. You will never win a customer by brow-beating them in a Facebook conversation about bible quotes and toy distribution.



It seems the author of this post has missed an important fact. There are many, many more "fervent and dedicated" Christians in this world than there are "fervent and dedicated" gay-rights activists. For every 1 gay activists Chik-fil-A loses there are probably 10 devout Christians that will take their place.

That might have something to do with Chik-fil-A being more crowded than ever since this hit the news.

Maybe MORE businesses should learn this bit of "business acumen" that the author of this post has apparently ignored.

DaveInSoCal


quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

END THE SUFFRAGE OF WOMEN! Wait, what were we talking about here again?


wynnwinberg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wynnwinberg

Whoot, Wootbot!

I would have preferred not to know who was making those sandwiches, so I could have just enjoyed them. Now, I'm forced to expand my fat cells elsewhere. It's like going to a Ku Klux Klan BBQ - perfectly good food going to waste because you suddenly lose your appetite, knowing who the cook is.

RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
wynnwinberg wrote:Whoot, Wootbot!

I would have preferred not to know who was making those sandwiches, so I could have just enjoyed them. Now, I'm forced to expand my fat cells elsewhere. It's like going to a Ku Klux Klan BBQ - perfectly good food going to waste because you suddenly lose your appetite, knowing who the cook is.



Amen.

RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
phatmass wrote:It seems the author of this post has missed an important fact. There are many, many more "fervent and dedicated" Christians in this world than there are "fervent and dedicated" gay-rights activists. For every 1 gay activists Chik-fil-A loses there are probably 10 devout Christians that will take their place.

That might have something to do with Chik-fil-A being more crowded than ever since this hit the news.



Just saw an article showing exactly the opposite. Since this story hit, Chic-Fil-A's brand image has suffered a devastating drop -from 69% positive to only 39%. In the South alone, it dropped 36 points. This is expected to result in a 2-3 percent drop in sales over the next quarter.

CapnJB


quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB

It's amazing how the media attacks Chick-Fil-A for making donations to Christian groups. And at the same time won't touch Apple for all the human rights violations in their supply chain.

If you have an iPad, I dare you to watch this

In 2005, the horrific conditions were brought to light so Apple created a standard for supplier responibility. Seven years later, after two explosions in the iPad factories, this is Apple's audit on themselves.

Some highlights:

93 facilities had records that indicated more
than 50 percent of their workers exceeded
weekly working hour limits of 60 in at least
1 week out of the 12 sample period.

At 90 facilities, more than half of the records
we reviewed indicated that workers had
worked more than 6 consecutive days at
least once per month, and 37 facilities lacked
an adequate working day control system to
ensure that workers took at least 1 day off
in every 7 days.

108 facilities did not pay proper overtime
wages as required by laws and regulations.

69 facilities were not recycling or disposing of
hazardous waste as required by law, while 74
facilities lacked management procedures for
recycling or disposing of hazardous waste.

112 facilities were not properly storing, moving,
or handling hazardous chemicals. For example,
some facilities did not provide antileakage
for hazardous chemicals or provide separate
storage for incompatible chemicals. Also, 125
facilities lacked management procedures for
handling, movement, and storage of hazardous
chemicals.

68 facilities did not provide employees
adequate benefits as required by laws
and regulations, such as social insurance
and free physical examinations. 49 facilities
did not provide employees with paid leaves
or vacations.

119 facilities had deficiencies in their egress
safety procedures, such as narrow corridors
and poorly marked or inaccurate evacuation
routes.

99 facilities had noncompliance in some
aspect of their fire prevention, preparedness,
and response, such as unmarked fire extinguishers
and insufficient fire drills.

75 facilities lacked first-aid supply procedures
or did not adequately implement existing
procedures to ensure compliance.


So thanks Wootbot. Keep ranting against Chick-Fil-A and keep slinging your Apple products. You're ignorance is disgusting.

jai151


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
CapnJB wrote:So thanks Wootbot. Keep ranting against Chick-Fil-A and keep slinging your Apple products. You're ignorance is disgusting.



Or, an even better solution, tell both companies to go self-fornicate.

CapnJB


quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB
jai151 wrote:Or, an even better solution, tell both companies to go self-fornicate.



That could work too. Or actually all three companies.

llandar


quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
CapnJB wrote:So thanks Wootbot. Keep ranting against Chick-Fil-A and keep slinging your Apple products. You're ignorance is disgusting.



And your reading comprehension is appalling. The post wasn't about Chick-Fil-A's donations. It was about the fact that they should just shut up about it and stop bringing bad press on themselves.

CapnJB


quality posts: 15 Private Messages CapnJB
llandar wrote:And your reading comprehension is appalling. The post wasn't about Chick-Fil-A's donations. It was about the fact that they should just shut up about it and stop bringing bad press on themselves.



My comprehension is just fine. The piece that wootbot wrote started in one direction and ended in another.

Dan Cathy issued one statement when the controversy began to congeal: “In recent weeks, we have been accused of being anti-gay. . . . We have no agenda against anyone. While my family and I believe in the Biblical definition of marriage, we love and respect anyone who disagrees.”

Cathy has distributed more than $35 million in scholarships to help Chick-fil-A employees go to college, another $26 million to scholarships for students at Berry College, and another $18 million for foster homes throughout the United States. He’s been honored by the Children’s Hunger Fund, and won the Horatio Alger award and the William E. Simon Prize for Philanthropic Leadership, for his charity.

And the media says they are anti gay.

Almost 100 million dollars in donations, most went to educational scholarships, but the media focuses on the donation to Focus on Families... labeled as an anti-gay hate group. Dan Cathy donated a total of less than $20,000 to that group.

My daughter loves books. Four nights ago at Chick-Fil-A she couldn't get one because the Henson foundation pulled all their books from Chick-Fil-A. Screwing over 4 year old children is really awesome. I'm going to do best to raise my daughter in a Muppet free world.

Now llandar, if you want to come play bully with me, whatever. Your company has been falling apart for some time. When you start insulting your customer base, make your time. I'm tired of receiving your broken, expired products.

I've got 121 woots currently. That number is not getting any larger.

Congrats on losing a customer guys.




RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
CapnJB wrote:Almost 100 million dollars in donations, most went to educational scholarships, but the media focuses on the donation to Focus on Families... labeled as an anti-gay hate group. Dan Cathy donated a total of less than $20,000 to that group.



If I can get the press to label me as an anti-gay hate group, do you think he would give me 20 grand?

jai151


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151

So, let me see if I get this right. Chik-fil-a refuses to support gay marriage, and you get behind their freedom to take a stand. Henson and Woot refuse to support Chick-fil-a and you are now going to boycott them.

And you don't see a problem with that?

vipermjb


quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

What was there to gain for a company to post something where there was A CHANCE, ANY CHANCE, even a .00000000001% chance of losing a customer?

Sure, maybe some people would say those who would stop being a customer at Woot! are dumb for getting that uptight. But knee jerk reactions are so common place, why even risk it?

Gay marriage, whatever.
Chick-Fil-A, who gives an F.
Keeping every possible dollar coming in to the company, that is most responsible.

Dumb.