WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ray-Ban Sunglasses (Men's & Women's)

We're making one last push for the beach season. If you don't impress 'em now, you gotta wait a whole year to try again. Step up that summer romance with some glasses that reflect your inner charm. And if you don't have charm, they'll help you bluff.
Ray-Ban official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Ray-Ban's a pretty classic brand. But mostly I shy away from pricy sunglasses because I'm always losing mine.

How do you keep track of your sunglasses? Which of these are you eyeing to keep out the bright sun?

I'm just hanging out, really.

chrisiturrioz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisiturrioz

I would be all over this if they were polorized ...

bsmith1

quality posts: 99 Private Messages bsmith1

I've never paid much for sunglasses. What makes Ray-Ban 20 times better than these: http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Mirrored-Aviator-Microfiber-Sunglasses/dp/B000E73S4Y

The most I've paid for sunglasses is like $20.

ghost650

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ghost650
inkycatz wrote:Ray-Ban's a pretty classic brand. But mostly I shy away from pricy sunglasses because I'm always losing mine.

How do you keep track of your sunglasses? Which of these are you eyeing to keep out the bright sun?

I keep mine on a clip in my car. It's a very very rare occasion that I am out in the sun and didn't drive there. This has allowed me to keep a pair of sunglasses for much longer than I ever have before, inspiring confidence that i can finally buy a decent pair. I am sort of eyeing the wayfarers. Classic Ray-Ban style... except that i need perscription lenses.

jaferson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jaferson
chrisiturrioz wrote:I would be all over this if they were polorized ...

I was going to say the same thing, but now I am just going to say this...

Bounty of Candy
Speed to First Woot:0m 23.115s
First Sucker:jaferson

ghost650

bsmith1 wrote:I've never paid much for sunglasses. What makes Ray-Ban 20 times better than these: http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Mirrored-Aviator-Microfiber-Sunglasses/dp/B000E73S4Y

The most I've paid for sunglasses is like $20.

For one thing, probably craftsmanship. Sunglasses designs are pretty easily and successfully knocked-off. But if it weren't for that, the designs themselves would be what sets these apart. As it is, only the brand logo is the only indication that you are wearing actual designer sunglasses.

tinabina316

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinabina316
inkycatz wrote:Ray-Ban's a pretty classic brand. But mostly I shy away from pricy sunglasses because I'm always losing mine.

I used to do the same thing ... always buy cheap because I am bound to lose or break them.

BUT I got a pair of New Wayfarer polarized and I found I want to take care of them because of the pretty penny I paid. The price made me more conscious of how I treated them

archertroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archertroy

I don't know about this...I'm Ray Ban obsessive and this is hardly what I would consider a "deal"... I got 2 pairs of aviators for $65 from eBay Daily deals (Gold and Gunmetal).. and the Wayfarers are only $5 cheaper than most Discounted prices you see on the internet.

Knock another 15-20% and I'd be interested...otherwise = expensive.

ghost650

tinabina316 wrote:I used to do the same thing ... always buy cheap because I am bound to lose or break them.

BUT I got a pair of New Wayfarer polarized and I found I want to take care of them because of the pretty penny I paid. The price made me more conscious of how I treated them

To paraphrase the great Mitch Hedberg: I bought expensive sunglasses because I always lose my sunglasses and got sick of not caring.

tpsully1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tpsully1

Not polarized? No thanks.

tweezak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweezak

The last/only pair of Ray-Bans I had were polarized Cats. Great glasses. The best and worst thing about them was the glass lenses. I never had to worry about scratches but I did worry about shattered lenses (motorcycling). After having them for about 20 years I dropped them one day and the frame broke between the lenses. I glued it but decided it was time for a new pair. I got some Smith Trace glasses with interchangeable lenses. Not glass but very good eyewear.

bsmith1

quality posts: 99 Private Messages bsmith1
ghost650 wrote:For one thing, probably craftsmanship. ...

The ones I linked are pretty crappy quality. So are the Ray-Bans made really well? For $80, I would want something that would almost never break. I just don't see how the quality could be 20 times better to match the difference in price. I don't care about the brand name.

bek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bek

I used to buy $200 Gargoyle sunglasses. Then I bent them up and they were never comfortable again. I can't help but look back and think, "What was I thinking???"

Now I go to Wal-Mart, buy $10-$20 sunglasses, and if I lose or break them, I have no regrets.

Offer these fancy sunglasses for $30 and I'd give them a shot. At $85, no way.

kentbo12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kentbo12

Stopped losing my sunglasses when I bought a $140 pair of Oakley's. I've had them for five years and they are great (polarized unlike these Ray-Bans). Because I paid a good amount for them, I took care of them and was always conscious of where I put them.

ghost650

bsmith1 wrote:The ones I linked are pretty crappy quality. So are the Ray-Bans made really well? For $80, I would want something that would almost never break. I just don't see how the quality could be 20 times better to match the difference in price. I don't care about the brand name.

The rest of my comment also applies. The design. Ray-Bans cost a lot because they design sunglasses. Those cheap ones are made by a company that does not really come up with original designs and instead copy the designs of other companies.

Ray Ban emplpoys dozens (maybe more) designers who are constantly designing new and unique sunglasses. Other companies knock-off those designs, allowing them to develop sunglasses at a fraction of the cost (because the hard part was done for them.) Then they build them with crappier materials with lower quality standards, saving even more money. Are they 1/20th the quality of the Ray-Bans? Probably not. Did they spend 1/20th of the money developing them? Probably less.

bek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bek
bsmith1 wrote:I just don't see how the quality could be 20 times better to match the difference in price. I don't care about the brand name.

You are wise.

They will bend and break just like any sunglasses.

The #1 thing I noticed when buying nice Oakeys was that they tended to be very light.

Ray Bans were heavy. Gargoyles were also a bit heavy, but they felt nice on my face.

Of course they're all very clear to look through. The difference was not worth anywhere near the price, though. Now I buy cheap sunglasses.

gephross100

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gephross100

cheaper on amazon, you can get them for around 60

c u

first2summit

quality posts: 6 Private Messages first2summit
bsmith1 wrote:The ones I linked are pretty crappy quality. So are the Ray-Bans made really well? For $80, I would want something that would almost never break. I just don't see how the quality could be 20 times better to match the difference in price. I don't care about the brand name.

Rayban constructions are very good and solid. A fluke event, one of the rubber pieces slipped off an ear stem and even the ends are rounded and polished metal. I pulled the rubber piece off a cheap knock-off pair and the ends looked like they were cut with shears leaving a sharp uneven ending. You wouldn't know about it but it's indicative to the attention to detail.

ghost650

gephross100 wrote:cheaper on amazon, you can get them for around 60

Really? Would you like to put a link where your comment is?

yemicculus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yemicculus

What's the hikeing point of these deals if all the good stuff is sold out by the time I see any of them?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
yemicculus wrote:(questions)

Manufacturers will sometimes sell us an assortment of product that may include very limited stock of a few items. In other cases, we may have a few remaining items from previous sales.

While the quantity is limited, we do still want to pass these deals on to our customers. Plus deals will often have limited quantities so it's important to watch for them closely.

I'm just hanging out, really.

unityed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unityed

i am real pissed i missed this i wanted the wayfarer tortoise no clue how i missed this /wrist

"If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannon shots."

ghost650

unityed wrote:i am real pissed i missed this i wanted the wayfarer tortoise no clue how i missed this /wrist

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GNBJP0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p309_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=048RS6J6KGW3TYJXA9G6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

these are almost as cheap...

ckart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckart

I managed to keep my first pair of Ray-Bans for about eight years. I LOVED them. Unfortunately, after a heavy night of partying, I forgot to put them in my car, and they were trampled. Sigh. Anyhow, I got my moneys worth. I was just about to peel 150 bucks for another pair and then this pops up! I is very excite. Going with a different look this time, I chose the black aviators. Anyhow, I'll stop ranting. I'm just really happy to get these so cheap. What is the term I am looking for to describe my joy? Oh yes, I believe the correct term is "woot". F*cking woot. Can I say that?

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

are these compatible with prescription lenses? They wafers looks like the 3D glasses that you get in movie theaters with its flat lens, so I am not sure if you can put a coke bottle lens the frame.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff

The irony of this kills me: I go onto woot, see the wayfarers and are secretely relieved that they are sold out. I see your post and start to type:

"I have Coach sunglasses. Have had them forever, i can't seem to kill them, even when i have hoped to so i can rationalize buying a new pair. I have them on a leash made by "

and i go into my bag to look at the manufacturer, and MY COACH GLASSES ARE BROKEN!!!! geeze, i've had these for like ten years and wear them daily!! (my fault: usually store them on my desk or in my car, but i put them in my bag i throw around)

UGH.

the leash, as it turns out is made by croakie, called "suiters" http://www.rei.com/product/717366/croakies-suiters-eyewear-retainer. they are comfortable, and are adjustable to snug up on the back of your head if you want to keep the glasses on your head when bending or in a bumpy situation.

and now i am disappointed i can't by the wayfarers.

Yup, it's been one of those days.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

How do people buy something like sunglasses online & know they like the fit? I have never bought sunglasses or shoes online, I just don't see how I could. I would buy goggles or rain boots - as the fit isn't nearly as "fitted' - but not glasses or shoes. I have a hard enough time finding a pair of either (shoes or glasses) that I like when I can try them on, much less to guess from a photo....and definitely not with no return option.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
beck12 wrote:How do people buy something like sunglasses online & know they like the fit? I have never bought sunglasses or shoes online, I just don't see how I could. I would buy goggles or rain boots - as the fit isn't nearly as "fitted' - but not glasses or shoes. I have a hard enough time finding a pair of either (shoes or glasses) that I like when I can try them on, much less to guess from a photo....and definitely not with no return option.

We live on the edge.

raynedae

quality posts: 2 Private Messages raynedae

I've had two pair of ray-bans, the original wayfarers for 20+ years and a pair of the New Wayfarers I got about 10 years ago. They're tough, I wear them pretty much all day everyday, most of the time on the top of my head. They are worth the money but I don't see this as being a "deal". This is about the same price as they sell them for on Amazon and if you're a prime member it's cheaper to buy them on Amazon.

diducmeb4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diducmeb4

Where's the Hotel?? Is there only item of every deal? WOOT needs to find some real deals that have quantity and boot the bull$road trip vendors/manufacturers who can't produce quantity so that at 6 a.m. on the day of a new post, it's not all sold out.

Nothing here to see, keep on reading...

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

dammit! would have bought some!

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

clcldavis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clcldavis

Didn't take long to sell both pairs.

joshobra

quality posts: 37 Private Messages joshobra

Well.. That was pretty fast..

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

schludacris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schludacris
lstaff wrote:We live on the edge.

Well done!

skiheckman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiheckman

what going on here? Everything is sold out. Did Woot only have 1 pair of each??

chezteladog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chezteladog

My mom found a pair of black aviators on the ground in D.C. and I convinced her that aviators were not her style so mine were free. They're nice but the screws are always coming loose and they seem fragile with the thin wire. Stylish and effective but I wouldn't pay $85 for them.

nodoze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nodoze

I'm soooo over paying that much for sunglasses. I've spent thousands buying these over-priced brand name shades... Maui Jim, Ray Ban, Revo, Varnet... screw it. Every pair was either left on a plane, lost overboard while sailing, dropped and chipped, sat on and ruined, or something that turned my expensive sunglasses into an expensive waste of hard earned money. I now buy in more at around the $20 level. I still sit on them, drop them, leave them, lose them and break them. But, it doesn't hurt nearly as bad when I do! Honestly, I hardly notice the difference.

ethibaul

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ethibaul
lstaff wrote: *snip*

and i go into my bag to look at the manufacturer, and MY COACH GLASSES ARE BROKEN!!!! geeze, i've had these for like ten years and wear them daily!! (my fault: usually store them on my desk or in my car, but i put them in my bag i throw around)

*snip*

Take heart, if Woot can't sell a replacement pair to you, if you have a Costco nearby, they had some really cute Coach glasses for $65 this summer. I saw some at my local warehouse earlier this week. I got mine (and a Kirkland Signature branded pair that was polarized - $35!) and just feel like the bees knees when I wear them around.

I've always been a cheap-sunglasses-kind-of-girl until these purchases. I drop mine a lot, and honestly never thought the difference in optics quality justified the retail price of premium brand sunglasses. I've been rocking 3 pair of children glasses (fake tortoise, looked good enough) that I would get for $8 at the L.L. Bean outlet for at least the past 5 years, but they were peeling and all scratched up, and my husband got me at a weak moment and I bought the 2 pair at Costco, intending to return 1 pair at the very least. Then, I'll be darned if I wasn't hooked on both! When I put those Coach ones on, my vanity wouldn't let me return them once I realized they looked a whole lot more flattering and stylish. Then, the polarized ones really rocked while driving... and I could justify $35 for something that I felt made driving a bit more safe.

Sometimes you get what you pay for - especially if you're wearing $8 children sunglasses!

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
ghost650 wrote:I keep mine on a clip in my car. It's a very very rare occasion that I am out in the sun and didn't drive there. This has allowed me to keep a pair of sunglasses for much longer than I ever have before, inspiring confidence that i can finally buy a decent pair. I am sort of eyeing the wayfarers. Classic Ray-Ban style... except that i need perscription lenses.

You can get prescription lenses in Wayfarers, but you aren't going to get them for $85.