WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! We'll get right to the point: some artists like swiping. Scott's found five songs that borrow - ahem - heavily from classical music. Sometimes they admit it, and sometimes they don't. Let's start with this soulful homage:

The Toys - A Lover's Concerto

The hardest part of a pop hit is finding a tune for your lyrics. So when you get a chance to collaborate with Johann Sebastian Bach, you take it, right? The Toys also passed this song along to The Supremes and it might have made a cameo in Electric Dreams depending on which version you prefer to credit. Bach's probably too dead to care anyway.

Copyright don't matter when it's a few hundred years old! More to come, along with the Spotify playlist, right after the jump.

Our Spotify playlist is back! This time it's Names and it's a companion to our previous two weeks collecting name songs from men and women. Check those out in our great big mix after you enjoy our current Music Monday below.

Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love

How many weddings have included this touching tribute to love? It doesn't lessen the King's version to find out that his song was based on a much older song from 1780. As you can hear, there were in fact some changes made. We think that qualifies him under fair use, right?

Billy Joel - This Night

Mr. Joel is not at all a stupid fella. He loves music, and history, and probably would be a great person to hang out with in a bar. That might be why his version of a Beethoven Sonata actually gives a writing credit to Ludwig Van. After all, piano players gotta help each other out when they can, right?

Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic

Man, I wouldn't be putting Barry Manilow in a Music Monday without good reason. But the guy plays a mean piano, and as such, he knows from whom to borrow. His cover of this Chopin Prelude doesn't really hide a thing. In fairness, as you can see above, neither does Barry, who credits the composer before starting his comedy bit. And who knows, maybe Chopin would have enjoyed disco.

Eric Carmen - All By Myself

The most 70s sound this side of Meat Loaf. And yet, it's really from the start of the 20th Century! Rachmaninov gets most of the credit here, and maybe we could just write that off as a fluke, if it wasn't for Carmen's follow up hit, Never Gonna Fall In Love Again, which ALSO borrows from Rachmaninov. Once is cute, Eric. Twice is just lazy.

Know any more classical thievery? If so, hit the comments below, because they might be pretty sparse this week, and we'd love to learn who's boostin' from who. Even if you can't think of a one, you're still welcome in our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. And we're not the stealing type, so be aware: some images come from their corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Wow Scott, And I thought My Idea was oddly specific. This one's going to be a challenge. Lemme think of one.

It's a little bit of a stretch but I'm going to submit Bright Eyes, Road to Joy
with Beethoven's Ode to Joy in there. At least Connor acknowledges it, and calls it "Road to Joy".

There! It can be Done!

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Pachelbel's Canon has probably inspired more imitators than any other song. Here's a partial list.

•Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space
•Green Day - Basket Case
•Vitamin C - Graduation Friends Forever
•Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter - One Tin Soldier
•Belle & Sebastian - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
•My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
•Blues Traveler - Hook
•Goldfinger - Superman
•The Polyphonic Spree - Light And Day / Reach for the Sun
•Coolio - C U When U Get There
•Joe Jackson - Hometown
•Tupac - Life Goes On
•Therapy Sisters - Pachelbel's Tantrum
•The Farm - All Together Now
•First Class - Beach Baby
•Mary-Kate and Ashley - Imagine
•Relient K - Operation
•Happa-tai - Yatta
•Delerium - Paris
•Aphrodite's Child - Rain and Tears
•Lutricia McNeal - Rise
•[several artists, including Paliament] - Oh Lord, Why Lord?
•Menelik - Je Me Souviens
•Libera - Sanctus
•Arianne - Komm, Susser Tod
•Bob James - In the Garden
•Brian Eno - Fullness of Wind
•Akon - Don't Matter
•Pet Shop Boys - Go West
•Eternity - Wonderful World
•Eternity - Love
•Eternity - You Smile
•Sweetbox - Life is Cool
•Emiri Miyamoto - Break
•Bond - Lullaby
•Alain Barriere - Tout s'en va déjà
•Oscar Benton - I Believe In Love
•All Angels - Salve Regina
•El Bosco - Nirvana
•Fahrenheit - Xin Li You Shu
•Redsox - Sweet Dream
•Sarah Connor - Love Is Color Blind
•Philip Wesley - Ode to a composer
•Die Firma - Die Eine
•2 Brothers On The 4th Floor - There is a key
•2 Brothers On The 4th Floor - Christmas Time
•Theresia - Moonlight
•Valensia - Bruxelles
•Arthur - Pipo
•DJ Angel - Flowrish
•Claire Hamill - Someday We Will All Be Together
•Karnak - Juvenar
•Leftover Crack - Crack City Rockers
•twenty47 - Get A Life, Again
•Byul - Like a Star
•Terry FU - Two Different Worlds
•Luca Zeta - Over The Clouds
•M2M - The Day You Went Away
•N-Dubz ft. Bodyrox - We Dance On
•Nicki Minaj - Girls Fall Like Dominoes
•Shane Filan - Beautiful in White
•Ashram - Last Kiss

And of course Rob Paravonian"s fabulous "Pachelbel Rant"

rizados

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rizados

It should be noted that Carmen did indeed get sued by the Rachmaninoff estate and has been forced to pay royalties ever since.

Emerson Lake and Palmer have been classical borrowers for ages, but their rock pieces are more often intentional (and credited) rearrangements. Composers they've hit included Copland and Prokofiev.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

The Small Faces' "My Mind's Eye" lifts liberally from "Gloria in Excelsis Deo".

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

Most of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's stuff is pulled from the classical era, especially Beethoven (who gets his own album). Generally credited where it makes sense.

livinusnwambethethird

quality posts: 3 Private Messages livinusnwambethethird

50 Cent is widely regarded in classical music circles as an unapologetic thief of motifs, themes and even progressions of most of the masters of classical music, from Liszt to Beethoven and Brahms. His "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" album was pulled pretty much chord for chord from one of Beethoven's earlier symphonies.

bzzzzgrrrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bzzzzgrrrl

I was coming in to post about the Pachelbel rant, but I see RWoodward's beaten me to the punch. Still, if you haven't seen it, you should.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

Jethro Tull's Bourée is a swingin' version of Bach's Bourrée in E minor.

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

Does "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band count?

tedgellar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tedgellar

I think the Beastie Boys take the cake for sampling from the 20th century's most groundbreaking composer, Igor Stravinsky. "Electrify" (on the album Hello Nasty) samples from the Infernal Dance of King Kashchei (from Stravinsky's fantastic Firebird Suite), and the music video version of the famous Intergalactic opens with the Sacrificial Dance (from Stravinksy's Rite of Spring).

And in opening with the Rite of Spring while the video's showing them cruising through space Star Wars-style, the Beastie Boys highlight the debt that space opera soundtracks, and John Williams' Star Wars music specifically, owe to Stravinsky's music.