WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Once a year, the greatest "athletes" on the Woot staff come together to "compete" in the kinds of "sports" that require "ironic quotation marks". How can you play your part? First, meet the teams below and pick one to root for, for some arbitrary reason. Why should you care about our internal company games? Well, you probably don't personally know any of the athletes competing in London either...

Second, buy some limited-edition official Monkey Games gear, just like the "pros" wear!

Third, make your own Woot Games torch and post it to the appropriate blog post! Don't post it here - we'll consider that a line fault and disqualify you. Our favorite will get a prize much, much less desirable than a gold medal.

Now, read on to meet the teams! Pick your favorite! Talk smack! Because there isn't any other major athletic competition going on in the world right now, as far as we know…

Farts & Sciences (Brown): Woot's creative, social media, and marketing peeps are going to be every bit as fearsome on the playing field as you'd expect from a bunch of creative, social media, and marketing peeps. Consensus pick for Most Likely To Be Implicated In A Doping Scandal, Then Lose Anyway.

Atomic C++ Vikings (Red): Not the most athletic bunch, but just wait until they hack into the medal-count database...

Customer Obsessed Wooters! (Navy): When you spend all day slinging boxes into trucks and running a shirt factory, flinging monkeys is nothing. Look for this brawny squad to camp out on the medal podium.

Flying Pu (Kelly Green): From Colonel Crap to ThunderThighs, this motley bunch of salespeople, merchandisers, photographers, and moderators brings the most star power to the Games. But can they put aside the glitz and the glamour to focus on the games, or will they crack under the pressure?

TACOCAT (Slate): The Deals.Woot, HR, and Customer Service teams are about to drop the furry palindromic hammer on all comers - and all goers. (Because of the palindrome thing, get it?)

The Assets (Cranberry): Don't let the slide rules and pasty complexions fool you. This team of accounting and finance types took the Golden Monkey last year and are hungry for a repeat.

The Honey Badgers (Black): The purchasing crew is well-schooled in hunting for gold in the form of great deals. Now they're stalking a different prey: gold medals. (Note: no actual gold will change hands during the Monkey Games).

That should give you enough to decide where your lifelong, undying loyalty should lie. But if you're the bandwagon type just looking to pick a winner, here's how the teams performed in early action yesterday, with the Monkey Toss for distance…

1. Gold: The Honey Badgers, 47.8 ft. (avg. distance)
  2. Silver: Atomic C++ Vikings, 42.2 ft.
  3. Bronze: The Assets, 41.4 ft.
  4. Flying Pu, 41.3 ft.
  5. Customer Obsessed Wooters!, 40.2 ft.
  6. TACOCAT, 37.1 ft.
  7. Farts & Sciences, 33.9 ft.

Today our competitors will do battle with a ping-pong machine, some plastic cups, and their own demons, setbacks, and naysayers. Look for more Monkey Games updates all this week and next, for some reason!

stm027

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stm027

!YAY TACOCAT YAY!

I put chemicals in your food... seriously

joshaw

quality posts: 24 Private Messages joshaw

TACOCAT has to be the favorite for GOLD, even with the inclusion of the HR department. How could you not root for the team with both deals and Customer Service? No amount of corporate time/money/life wasters could ever ruin that beautiful pairing.

Farts and Science for the SILVER as the writers' are the best out there. The marketing team, however, will drag this team down with their oversized wallets and bellies.

Flying Pu is the obvious BRONZE, as ThunderThighs and ColonelCrap are strong gold medal contenders. Look for Flying Pu to possibly take out Farts and Sciences for silver, as the writers may be cut short in the competition.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

SEATTLE CREATIVES FTW!!!

:D

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Moueska wrote:SEATTLE CREATIVES FTW!!!

:D

woooo

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Hate to be a bandwagoner, but I have to think TACOCAT is the early favorite. Farts & Sciences.... well let's just say I think there's a chance you don't come in last.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING

Today's results for the Ping Pong/recycling bin challenge:

GOLD: The Assets, 34 points
SILVER: Flying Pu, 27 points
BRONZE: Farts & Sciences, 20 points
Atomic C++ Vikings, 12 points
The Honey Badgers, 11 points
Customer Obsessed Wooters!, 8 points
TACOCAT, 4 points

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Hmmmm. Flying pu. Guess that would be TT, Inky, Ducky, Gatzby. Dragqueen?

Hmmmm, jumbowoot. Tacocat?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

I'm all in for Flying Pu! Go team go!

uglytalents

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uglytalents

I bought both green and brown shirts so I guess I'm going for Flying Farts & Pu Sciences!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Jason Toon wrote:BREAKING BREAKING BREAKING

Today's results for the Ping Pong/recycling bin challenge:

GOLD: The Assets, 34 points
SILVER: Flying Pu, 27 points
BRONZE: Farts & Sciences, 20 points
Atomic C++ Vikings, 12 points
The Honey Badgers, 11 points
Customer Obsessed Wooters!, 8 points
TACOCAT, 4 points

Flying Pü!!

We're number two!
We're number two!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

baybei wrote:I'm all in for Flying Pu! Go team go!

Fling that Pü!
Fling that Pü!

pooflady wrote:Hmmmm. Flying pu. Guess that would be TT, Inky, Ducky, Gatzby. Dragqueen?

Hmmmm, jumbowoot. Tacocat?

Flying Pü are the merchandisers (the ones that set up all the sales so they're ready to go), wholesale, and me, the lonely moderator.

JumboWoot is on TacoCat.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

WootFlair

quality posts: 10 Private Messages WootFlair

Team Assets FTW! Woo!

Stylin and profilin!

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria

Farts and Sciences!
Do it in honor of Gore Vidal!

Flying Pu!
Do it in honor of the Buckyballs!

impaul4

quality posts: 8 Private Messages impaul4

Come on Atomic C++ Vikings, don't let me down! All other teams can megabyte us!

theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

Where are the results from Aug 1st? We need more updates on the games!

side note - Were the Atomic C++ Vikings penalized for not having a cape on their monkey for the Monkey Toss for Distance? The cape would have added drag thus making the non-caped monkeys fly farther.

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

InspiredMom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InspiredMom

Flying Pu FTW !!!

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 126 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

theoneill555 wrote:Where are the results from Aug 1st? We need more updates on the games!

Coffee Cup Relay Race, August 1st
(Three lap/three competitor- 45foot race going backwards in an office chair carrying a mug full of water. Teams were scored on both time and amount of water left in their cup)

GOLD: Black
GOLD: Cranberry
Bronze: Green

Nerf Gun Shoot-Out, August 2nd
(Target 18'8" away - 3 teammates shoot 6 darts at it for points 0 or 7-12, total score for team is recorded)

Gold: Green (146)
Silver: Slate (130)
Bronze: Blue (128)

Today- Dallas has already participated, Seattle will at 2PST: Full-Team Pictionary!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

agingdragqueen wrote:Coffee Cup Relay Race, August 1st
(Three lap/three competitor- 45foot race going backwards in an office chair carrying a mug full of water. Teams were scored on both time and amount of water left in their cup)

(Target 18'8" away - 3 teammates shoot 6 darts at it for points 0 or 7-12, total score for team is recorded)

Today- Dallas has already participated, Seattle will at 2PST: Full-Team Pictionary!

No film at 11?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

theoneill555

agingdragqueen wrote:Coffee Cup Relay Race, August 1st

Thanks for the update!

allykitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allykitty

Another Update:

Customer Obsessed Wooters! have officially changed their name to Don't Give A Shirt

agingdragqueen

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:No film at 11?

Film's being shot and eventually will be edited. So! Film at 11 on some day.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
agingdragqueen wrote:Film's being shot and eventually will be edited. So! Film at 11 on some day.

And by 11 you mean something which may or may not be that exact time, right?

I'm just hanging out, really.

ThunderThighs

Staff

The best team with the best team name and the best team banner.

You can't quite see it but there's toilet paper hanging off the end and top of the poles. They're capped with rubber poops.

FORUM MODERATOR

lichme

quality posts: 2943 Private Messages lichme
ThunderThighs wrote:You can't quite see it but there's toilet paper hanging off the end and top of the poles. They're capped with rubber poops.

That is kind of amazing

monkeyfran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyfran

Monkey Fran is an official Woot Monkey living on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. Which team should he root for?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Monkey-Fran/445484315496997

theoneill555

Any more updates on the medal standing for the last week?

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

theoneill555 wrote:Any more updates on the medal standing for the last week?

I think we've got a wrap-up coming later in the week. It's been very dramatic!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

ThunderThighs

Staff

I would just like to say that I suck at bowling.

FORUM MODERATOR

agingdragqueen

Staff

theoneill555 wrote:Any more updates on the medal standing for the last week?

I'm here for you!

Last we left off...

Team Pictionary
Each team took turns in a round-robin sort of way- one person would go up and draw while the rest of the team guessed. Time limit of 10 minutes.
GOLD- The Assets (25)
GOLD- Flying Pu (25)
Bronze- Honey Badgers (24)

Miniature Golf
A paper ream box was set up 45' away from the tee. Each team had 3 representatives hit 5 balls each at the target. If it bounced out- 1 point, stayed in- 2 points, the last ball was worth 50% more.
GOLD- Atomic C++ Vikings (10)
Silver- TACOCAT (7)
Bronze- Farts & Sciences (4.5)

Today's game: Water Bottle Bowling
6 water bottles were set up as pins, we all used 16.9oz bottles and filled them with only 8oz of water. Small balls were used, only underhand throws. 4 people from each team got two tries on the 6 pins. Each pin knocked down was worth one point, a strike or spare was worth 10.
GOLD- Farts & Sciences (16)
Silver- The Assets (15)
Bronze- Don't Give A Shirt (12)

theoneill555

ThunderThighs wrote:I would just like to say that I suck at bowling.

We don't care, we love you anyways

agingdragqueen wrote:I'm here for you!

Last we left off...

Team Pictionary
GOLD- The Assets (25)
GOLD- Flying Pu (25)
Bronze- Honey Badgers (24)

Miniature Golf
GOLD- Atomic C++ Vikings (10)
Silver- TACOCAT (7)
Bronze- Farts & Sciences (4.5)

Water Bottle Bowling
GOLD- Farts & Sciences (16)
Silver- The Assets (15)
Bronze- Don't Give A Shirt (12)

As usual you are the keeper and disseminator of Woot World News, THANKS!

moosezilla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages moosezilla
agingdragqueen wrote:I'm here for you!

Last we left off...

can we get a total metal count?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Flying Pü!
We're Number Two!

FORUM MODERATOR

lichme

quality posts: 2943 Private Messages lichme

Any updates (results, pics, videos) on the Monkey Games and/or the Woot Games Torch?