WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Amid all the ridicule for the London 2012 Olympic logo, it's easy to overlook the equally bizarre Wenlock and Mandeville, the official mascots for this year's games. Some say they're a bold departure, others say they're softening up the youth of Earth for the imminent metal-cyclops takeover. But one thing's for sure: most of us will forget about them before the last empty can of lager has been cleared from the Olympic village. Take these eight mascots of Olympiads past: do you remember their names and the games they represented?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

You want more Trivial Eye, don't you? Yeah, you do.

Labuda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Labuda

Only one I know is #1 has GOT to be from the '84 Olympics in Los Angeles. :D

DaWeaves98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaWeaves98

Why are the answers in French? And why does is translate Sam to Sat?

DavidK1977

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidK1977

How did they leave out the most trivial of mascots Izzy the Wuzzit from 1996 Atlanta games.

That's right. They were too lazy to make a real mascot and just had some dollop of toothpaste looking thing that they said "Hey, what is it?"

jdk03d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdk03d

I think the below link sums up my thoughts on Olympic mascots

They are terrible

kodiak55

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kodiak55

Sam was the only one I knew by name, city, and year. I remember thinking he was the greatest character ever when I was a little kid.

For Quatchi and Amik I got city and year but had no clue on their names. Other than that I don't think I've ever seen any of the others.

The first thing I thought when I saw Athena was "why does she have the Zodiac Killer's logo on her breasts?"

jcolag

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jcolag
jdk03d wrote:I think the below link sums up my thoughts on Olympic mascots

They are terrible

"Terrifying" was the word I was going to use. I thought the Lovecraftian Coke can was bad, but no, it turns out that's par for the course.

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum
DavidK1977 wrote:How did they leave out the most trivial of mascots Izzy the Wuzzit from 1996 Atlanta games... They were too lazy to make a real mascot and just had some dollop of toothpaste looking thing...

You're right - Izzy was the worst mascot so far (too early to include London - they might roll out some better version before the games are over). Second has to be Athena, the beautiful goddess of wisdom. The piece of cr ap the Athenians used for the mascot was neither wise nor beautiful.

But who cares about art? The primary motive behind choosing mascots is to sell reproductions to [s]suckers[/s] kids and adoring fans.

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.