bdks87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdks87
farnorthflyer wrote:I am disappointed in the shipping arrangement for my recent Woot purchase. I ordered an electronic item on August 2. It was shipped August 6-7 via Fedex, which is fine. But now the tracking info says it has been transferred to USPS, with an expected delivery date of August 25. That is more than 3 weeks after my order. Certainly you can do better than that!

Yeah,they use Fedex Smart Post which is a combination of Fedex and the USPS. It is the worst shipping option in the country.

raysmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raysmo

Yeah, that was the first thing I did, but no change. Same ribbon.

walkerjc wrote:I recall having a similar issue a couple days ago. Thankfully, I fixed it by powering down the tablet by holding the on/off button for approx. 10 seconds then waiting a few seconds before powering back on. All was well when the tablet rebooted.

raysmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raysmo

Ok, for anyone else having this issue in the future...

I did the hard reset of my tablet. Start booting with power and Vol+ held in. When SONY appears, let go of power but keep Vol+ held until the Android menu shows up. Then use the Vol+ and - to move to the choice to reset to factory settings deleting all applications and data. Confirm it. Then reboot.

It came up to the original set up screen after a minute. So yay, it works, but boo, I have to set it up again. And I lost a cute picture of my puppy. But at least it didn't have to go back to Sony for repairs.

raysmo wrote:Ugh. Major issue this morning.

When I took my tablet off the cradle after charging overnight, I got a message that Home had to close. Any time I tried to go the Home page, I got that error. I fully powered down and back up.

Now it will only go to the animated ribbon boot screen, no further. Checked online and saw a number of people with the same issue with no resolution, even after doing a hard reset (which I'm reluctant to do since I've loaded it up in the short time I've had it.)

Anyone else have/heard of this problem and know of a fix?

plsmindurmanners

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plsmindurmanners

I finally received (Wed, Aug 15th) the stand/case & screen protector that I ordered from skin digital.

fete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fete

We received our Sony tablet about 10 days ago. A few days ago the screen started going black. I spoke with Sony a few hours ago and we did a factory reset. Of course after I got off the phone, it continued. I read online where folks were having this problem and tried reducing the brightness. I did that about 20 minutes ago and so far so good. If the problem returns, I will see about having the tablet replaced. Do I return to Sony or to Woot? Hopefully the problem wont continue but my faith in the tablet is little shaky right now which is sad because it is very awesome.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fete wrote:We received our Sony tablet about 10 days ago. A few days ago the screen started going black. I spoke with Sony a few hours ago and we did a factory reset. Of course after I got off the phone, it continued. I read online where folks were having this problem and tried reducing the brightness. I did that about 20 minutes ago and so far so good. If the problem returns, I will see about having the tablet replaced. Do I return to Sony or to Woot? Hopefully the problem wont continue but my faith in the tablet is little shaky right now which is sad because it is very awesome.

If it's in the next few days or so, I'd say go ahead and contact service@woot.com. Just be aware that they may not have a replacement available as these sold out on that day.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

deepkimo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deepkimo

After one week the this tablet stopped booting! Are they selling broken stuff?

ThunderThighs

Staff

deepkimo wrote:After one week the this tablet stopped booting! Are they selling broken stuff?

Sorry for the problems. These were new and as far as I know, Sony doesn't purposefully sell broken items.

Please email service@woot.com so they can give you some options.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

puzzledshrug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puzzledshrug

Lasted 7 whole days.
Unit will not reset.
Will not power on.
Contact SONY since unit is refurb will not repair

$36.86 for each day it worked.

NOT a good deal

dartmar

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dartmar

These were new, not refurb.

puzzledshrug wrote:Lasted 7 whole days.
Unit will not reset.
Will not power on.
Contact SONY since unit is refurb will not repair

$36.86 for each day it worked.

NOT a good deal

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

We received our tablet on Monday, and initially, I was extremely disappointed. It wouldn't stay online (even though it said it was connected to the internet). When we ran WiFi Checker, it failed at step 4. An hour on the phone with Sony support made it TEMPORARILY better. Had to force some IP addresses, and other (technical) numbers for it to stay connected to our router. NEVER had any issues with any other wireless devices (2 iPhones, 1 Samsung Galaxy, 3 laptops, HTPC, and 1 Bluray player). However, it lost the connection the next day and as soon as it tried reconnecting to the router, it went back to the automatic IP addresses and the problems returned.

Upgraded to ICS (which Sony rep told me would also solve the connection problems). Even after upgrade, still had WiFi issues. Any further than 10-15 feet from the router, and NO DICE. Would constantly drop apps and connections. After upgrade, we also had the Playstore issues (which affected the performance of many other APPS too). A quick google search, and I was able to reinstall the Playstore, and problem was fixed.

Finally, after second call to Sony about the WiFi problems, I did a firmware upgrade on our Netgear router, and it solved the problem! WiFi Checker now passes! Whew!

The only issue now is it still does not have NEAR the reception range as any of our other wireless devices. (Reception is better, but not great at all...) Have to be within about 20-30 feet of the router. Acceptable, but not great. This is not a dealbreaker, but surely Sony could have come up with a better wireless antenna...

After all these issues, I still like the tablet. Just hoping nothing else goes south on it, but only time will tell. Also hoping I don't need to invest any more time in 'fixing' issues. 6-7 hours in the first 2 days is a little much!

My suggestion to those having WiFi connection issues - Try doing a firmware update on your router before throwing in the towel.

nordburgh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nordburgh

As above me, if you're having Wi-Fi problems make sure you routers has the latest firmware available for it. I believe the problem is more due to the router than the device itself. I've not yet lost a signal from my Wi-Fi, if I'm right next to it or more than 15 feet away. This weekend I'll try it out outside my home to see if I can keep a signal, but so far at about 15-20 feet I haven't had a problem.

nordburgh

nordburgh wrote:As above me, if you're having Wi-Fi problems make sure you routers has the latest firmware available for it. I believe the problem is more due to the router than the device itself. I've not yet lost a signal from my Wi-Fi, if I'm right next to it or more than 15 feet away. This weekend I'll try it out outside my home to see if I can keep a signal, but so far at about 15-20 feet I haven't had a problem.

HAHA of course as soon as I post this, it drops the Wi-Fi connection right next to my router. Well at least it picked it up after a about 15 seconds. Well. Eh...crap.

scubalab

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get digital copies of movies to play on this tablet? I am fast growing VERY frustrated with it. One of the MAIN reasons we bought was to put all our movies that came with digital copies on SD cards and use it as a 'take along' video play for traveling with the kids.

Converted a couple movies (Rio, We Bought a Zoo) PER the instructions and copied them to the SD card. Card in tablet, opened "Video Player" APP and click on the movie, but it stops and says "Cannot Play - The copyright protection information is invalid."

ARRRRRG!

Several forums have differing advice ranging from 'you can't do it' to 'you have to download, pay for, and convert the files using some DRM removal software'. This is ridiculous. Even a call to Sony, although very friendly, stumped them. The tech actually said he never had that question come up and actually offered to try to do it himself on an S tablet and call me back tomorrow with how to get it to work. Found it hard to believe that with all the web posts (none that I could find with an easy solution) no one has ever asked Sony support...

If they don't get back to me with an easy way to make it work, I'm afraid this tablet will have to go back. There's no reason why it shouldn't play the digital copies when the instructions (from the legally purchased movies) say it's possible.

Hopefully a fellow Wooter will have some advice for a solution...

nordburgh

scubalab wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on how to get digital copies of movies to play on this tablet? I am fast growing VERY frustrated with it. One of the MAIN reasons we bought was to put all our movies that came with digital copies on SD cards and use it as a 'take along' video play for traveling with the kids.

Converted a couple movies (Rio, We Bought a Zoo) PER the instructions and copied them to the SD card. Card in tablet, opened "Video Player" APP and click on the movie, but it stops and says "Cannot Play - The copyright protection information is invalid."

ARRRRRG!

Several forums have differing advice ranging from 'you can't do it' to 'you have to download, pay for, and convert the files using some DRM removal software'. This is ridiculous. Even a call to Sony, although very friendly, stumped them. The tech actually said he never had that question come up and actually offered to try to do it himself on an S tablet and call me back tomorrow with how to get it to work. Found it hard to believe that with all the web posts (none that I could find with an easy solution) no one has ever asked Sony support...

If they don't get back to me with an easy way to make it work, I'm afraid this tablet will have to go back. There's no reason why it shouldn't play the digital copies when the instructions (from the legally purchased movies) say it's possible.

Hopefully a fellow Wooter will have some advice for a solution...

You're not going to like the answer. I'm assuming you have DVDs/Blu-Rays that came with "digital copies"? Well sorry to inform you those digital copies are encumbered with DRM (Digital Rights Management". That means they will only play with certain software players, iTunes or Windows Media Player or devices that support those formats (iPods/iPhones) or Zune/Portable players that support Windows Media DRM. The only tablet that supports the Apple format are iPads. The only tablets that support the Windows format are....anyone?...Bueller? Um NONE. So basically the only way you'll get those videos to play on the Sony tablet is by ripping the DVD/Blu-Ray with software that removes the DRM (DVDFab works) and then converting them to MP4's. Sorry but those digital copies are pretty much worthless and Hollywood is to blame.

dattweedy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dattweedy

Well, as much as I hate to rain on everyone's issue parade the Tablet I purchased has had zero issues, zero black screens and no Wi-Fi issues with our or any family members wi-fi access since the purchase 8-3. All of us use it constantly, even the PlayStation options and it has worked flawlessly. Have loaded photos from my PC on it. Bought a 32GB SDHC card for it from TigerDirect and am loving the fact I have more abilities and 'free' access to apps than my family members duped into 'brand-a' equipment.

dartmar

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dartmar
dattweedy wrote:Well, as much as I hate to rain on everyone's issue parade the Tablet I purchased has had zero issues, zero black screens and no Wi-Fi issues with our or any family members wi-fi access since the purchase 8-3. All of us use it constantly, even the PlayStation options and it has worked flawlessly. Have loaded photos from my PC on it. Bought a 32GB SDHC card for it from TigerDirect and am loving the fact I have more abilities and 'free' access to apps than my family members duped into 'brand-a' equipment.

I am with you, once I got it updated and google play reinstalled it has worked well. Battery life has been good. It hasn't dropped a wifi signal, even from my mifi, which is infamous for dropped signals. I am finally getting a chance to try some of the Amazon free apps of the day that were too big to fit on my phone with the tiny internal memory.

dirk1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirk1965

I mostly love the tablet. The only issue I had so far was the Google Play Store stopped working after the ICS update. Sony support sent me to a web page to fix it and all is good now. The only thing I don't like about it is that the wifi antenna doesn't seem to be all that strong. They also shouldn't promote it as being able to control other media divices such as TV, stereo, ect. Its not that great of a feature because it mostly doesn't work.

scubalab

nordburgh wrote:You're not going to like the answer. I'm assuming you have DVDs/Blu-Rays that came with "digital copies"? Well sorry to inform you those digital copies are encumbered with DRM (Digital Rights Management". That means they will only play with certain software players, iTunes or Windows Media Player or devices that support those formats (iPods/iPhones) or Zune/Portable players that support Windows Media DRM. The only tablet that supports the Apple format are iPads. The only tablets that support the Windows format are....anyone?...Bueller? Um NONE. So basically the only way you'll get those videos to play on the Sony tablet is by ripping the DVD/Blu-Ray with software that removes the DRM (DVDFab works) and then converting them to MP4's. Sorry but those digital copies are pretty much worthless and Hollywood is to blame.

Well crap!

Now that just seems plain silly. Is there any other way to 'legally' copy a movie?? Yes, I do have the Digital Copies that came with the Blu-Rays, and yeah, I understand that they have DRM. I don't mind DRM for copyright enforcement, but I blame Sony more than Hollywood for not being able to do what the 'i' products can do. I always favored non 'i' products since most allow you to expand memory.

The entire reason (well other than price) I went with this over the iPad was the expandable memory to put... uh... movies on for the kids. Now I don't know what to do. I am supposed to get a call back from Sony tonight to see if they have any tips...

Thank you for the reply!

justmejoseph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmejoseph

Boy this thing is awesome! Been using it to woot since it arrived easy to use, fast, many great available apps. Love that its preloaded with crash bandicoot... sorry to those who missed this awesome buy!

doodahdoug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doodahdoug
dirk1965 wrote:I mostly love the tablet. The only issue I had so far was the Google Play Store stopped working after the ICS update. Sony support sent me to a web page to fix it and all is good now. The only thing I don't like about it is that the wifi antenna doesn't seem to be all that strong. They also shouldn't promote it as being able to control other media divices such as TV, stereo, ect. Its not that great of a feature because it mostly doesn't work.

Would you please share the website that Sony gave you to fix the Google Play Store not working. I'm having the same problem.

getitoutme2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getitoutme2
doodahdoug wrote:Would you please share the website that Sony gave you to fix the Google Play Store not working. I'm having the same problem.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C1029387&fes=true

rockonreddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockonreddog

I am absolutely LOVING my tablet. I had the same Google Play problem but just followed the directions and it's fixed.

Plus I connected my tablet with my phone using mySMS and now I text from my tablet!

I'm not TOO fond of the keyboard. Anyone use anything different?

mzs0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mzs0001

Does Woot let you return items that are fine, but you don't like?

This tablet's touchscreen is super bad with even the best stylus's on the market and therefore sucks for school.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
mzs0001 wrote:Does Woot let you return items that are fine, but you don't like?

This tablet's touchscreen is super bad with even the best stylus's on the market and therefore sucks for school.

Alas, no. From our FAQ:
Will I receive customer support like I'm used to?
Not quite. If you buy something you don't end up liking or you have what marketing people call "buyer's remorse," sell it on Craigslist or at a garage sale. It's likely you'll make money doing this and save everyone a hassle.

I'm just hanging out, really.

getitoutme2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getitoutme2
rockonreddog wrote:I am absolutely LOVING my tablet. I had the same Google Play problem but just followed the directions and it's fixed.

Plus I connected my tablet with my phone using mySMS and now I text from my tablet!

I'm not TOO fond of the keyboard. Anyone use anything different?

This is actually one of the few stock keyboards that I've used + liked. With that said, there is a free trial available for SwiftKey 3 in the Google Play store. Use it on my HTC EVO 4G LTE and I cant live without it.

SeeThree777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeeThree777

I ordered on August 3 and still have not received my tablet. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Mrakg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mrakg

Overall, I'm very happy with the tablet. It's great. I was somewhat put out by the shipping, however. For some bizarre reason, they chose to ship the tablet and the cradle separately. The tablet arrived on Sat, 12 Aug. I waited until Wednesday to submit a request for assistance. Justin responded promptly, and stated that a new cradle would be on its way to me. That one arrived today, so all is well. I do wonder where the first one went...

Summary: A good tablet, and Woot made good on a shipping issue...

Mark A. Gravitt

SeeThree777

At least you received yours! I haven't yet!

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
SeeThree777 wrote:I ordered on August 3 and still have not received my tablet. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Should never take that long. Did you contact Woot's customer service? They may not read about your problem on this forum but they are very good at responding when you contact them.

ThunderThighs

Staff

SeeThree777 wrote:I ordered on August 3 and still have not received my tablet. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Please do email service@woot.com so they can look into this for you. We've pinged them from this end as well.

FORUM MODERATOR

w1ll14mm0rt0n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w1ll14mm0rt0n

Yes; according to service@woot.com, mine was lost in shipping. They're cutting me a refund. Bummer. I was looking forward to getting this. I ordered on 3 August and contacted Service on Friday, 17 Aug. late in the afternoon and they responded first thing Monday morning.

My tracking info still shows it in route to USPS from FedEx. Maybe it fell off the truck somewhere.

I'd suggest you email service@woot.com with your purchase order number, tracking number, and account name and see what they can tell you.

drein2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drein2
mzs0001 wrote:Does Woot let you return items that are fine, but you don't like?

I missed out on this deal, let me know if you are willing to sell yours

SeeThree777

Another day without a tablet. I had to send my Dell tablet back to Woot when it stopped working - I have not received the refund for it yet and it was shipped back in early August. Ordered this Sony on Aug. 3, but haven't received as of Aug. 22. 19 days?

monam33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monam33

Need some help. Tablet has worked fine and suddenly froze up. Screen went black.....will not come back on but green "charged" button is still on. PLEASE HELP!

doodahdoug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doodahdoug
monam33 wrote:Need some help. Tablet has worked fine and suddenly froze up. Screen went black.....will not come back on but green "charged" button is still on. PLEASE HELP!

Have you tried pushing the reset button with a paper clip. My girlfriend did that to mine when it was having the same issue and its working fine again now.

plsmindurmanners

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plsmindurmanners

Has anyone visited the Tablet Market?

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
nordburgh wrote:HAHA of course as soon as I post this, it drops the Wi-Fi connection right next to my router. Well at least it picked it up after a about 15 seconds. Well. Eh...crap.

The Wifi sucks on these tablets. In my house I can get a signal on a laptop anywhere in the house, I can even go out in the back yard and wander about while still connected on my Ipad... but this stupid thing will drop the signal randomly all over the house and cannot connect at all in the upstairs or outside... after searching the net I find that they are known for having poor Wifi... so beware if you are ever tempted to buy on on the cheap.

BillSzk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BillSzk
thomas998 wrote:The Wifi sucks on these tablets. In my house I can get a signal on a laptop anywhere in the house, I can even go out in the back yard and wander about while still connected on my Ipad... but this stupid thing will drop the signal randomly all over the house and cannot connect at all in the upstairs or outside... after searching the net I find that they are known for having poor Wifi... so beware if you are ever tempted to buy on on the cheap.

I agree. I a gluton for punishment. I am trying my second unit. Sony wants me to send it back. Doubt that they can fix it. What is strange is that there are not more people complaining about this? Live on small apartments? My router is on second floor. My android phone and my net book and my lap top all get an excellent signal anywhere. Even the basement. This thing goes from 3 bars next to the Router to 2 bars 15 feet away. To one bar downstairs and 1mbs speed ! This really does sucks. And of course it is dropping connections left and right! Anyone else left on here that can shed some light???

Bill